BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Compressor for non run flats?

09-14-2017, 04:26 AM   #1
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520d se

Compressor for non run flats?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys, a question regarding non run flats.. I assume the car comes with a can of gunk and a compressor for cars without run flats?
If so is it it located under the boot (trunk) floor where the space saver would be (I didn't spec the spare), or is it in one of the other compartments?
The demo car I had came with run flats, but I've seen pics of cars with the space saver and it raises the boot floor to accommodate the spare/jack etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
Tony_Soprano
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
Hi guys, a question regarding non run flats.. I assume the car comes with a can of gunk and a compressor for cars without run flats?
If so is it it located under the boot (trunk) floor where the space saver would be (I didn't spec the spare), or is it in one of the other compartments?
The demo car I had came with run flats, but I've seen pics of cars with the space saver and it raises the boot floor to accommodate the spare/jack etc.
My car originally came with the normal 17" wheels and I changed them in the dealership for 18" run flats. They left the compressor in it. It was stored in the cubby hole on the left hand side as you look into the boot.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
My car originally came with the normal 17" wheels and I changed them in the dealership for 18" run flats. They left the compressor in it. It was stored in the cubby hole on the left hand side as you look into the boot.
Thanks Tony!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Mac B
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 520D SE saloon (G30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Soprano View Post
I have a 520D SE on order which comes with 17" non-runflats. I didn't order the optional runflats because a) I don't want 18" wheels and b) I can buy a set of 17" runflats from my local tyre shop at not much more than half the BMW main dealer cost.
Question: Any ideas for recouping some cost on the 17" non-runflats, which will have only a nominal mileage - maybe to somebody wanting to change the other way?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac B View Post
I have a 520D SE on order which comes with 17" non-runflats. I didn't order the optional runflats because a) I don't want 18" wheels and b) I can buy a set of 17" runflats from my local tyre shop at not much more than half the BMW main dealer cost.
Question: Any ideas for recouping some cost on the 17" non-runflats, which will have only a nominal mileage - maybe to somebody wanting to change the other way?
Classified section on here, or eBay?

Why you going run flats anyway, they tend to harm ride quality imho
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Are you sure you want to incur time and expense to switch to runflats ? I can understand people keeping them if the car comes with them, but I've never known someone voluntarily migrate to them.

Even BMW are gradually admitting the pushing of runflats was a mistake - in their home market they now offer pretty much all wheel sizes with normal tyres.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 04:46 AM   #7
Mac B
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
Are you sure you want to incur time and expense to switch to runflats ? I can understand people keeping them if the car comes with them, but I've never known someone voluntarily migrate to them.

Even BMW are gradually admitting the pushing of runflats was a mistake - in their home market they now offer pretty much all wheel sizes with normal tyres.
It's something of a toss-up decision, but not having to stop on a wet, dark motorway with a flat tyre probably swings it. Also, the optional spacesaver spare wheel reduces boot volume by 150 litres (more than a quarter).
I agree the harder ride is a disadvantage.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
It's something of a toss-up decision, but not having to stop on a wet, dark motorway with a flat tyre probably swings it. Also, the optional spacesaver spare wheel reduces boot volume by 150 litres (more than a quarter).
Still plenty of room in trunk with spare. The trumk size is same as 530e
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Mac B - to answer your question, I would try ebay or Gumtree. Gumtree is much less hassle, and free
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 05:39 AM   #10
Mac B
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Question: Will the OE 17" wheels with non-runflats have the in-wheel TPMS sensors, or will I have to have these fitted along with the runflats?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #11
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

TPM is standard accross the range in the UK
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #12
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, all G30 have the latest RDCi individual sensors and the idrive shows target pressures adjusted for tyre temperature.
Appreciate 0