BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Going to order 530e Sport Drive

11-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #1
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Going to order 530e Sport Drive

I'm about to order a 530e MSport X Drive, spec as follows:

530e MSport X Drive
Phytonic Blue
Ivory Dakota Leather
Ash Trunkwood Open Pore Trim
Visibility Pack
20" Alloy upgrade
Sun Protection Glass

Id like to change the shadowline trim on the side windows to chrome, as the Gille is chrome, but Im being told that this isn't possible. I have done this on previous BMWs, and BMWs on promotional videos show a similar M Sport care its chrome.

My other option is to add a black grille to match the shadow line, but Im not sure that would look great on Phytonic, its nicer looking on Tanzanite.

Which takes me to another question - the Sport Edition in Tanzanite looks good, and its just about 1k more than my selected spec above. It has M5 style seats, but Im wondering are they too bucket-like and rigid, as I had Sline seats in an Audi previously, but while they were very sporty, they were far from comfortable. Is Adaptive Suspension included in the Edition, or just standard M Sport suspension? Anyone have an Edition on the forum?

Also, im wondering if I should stretch to the laser lights? I do live in the countryside and drive on a lot of unlit narrow roads in the winter.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by AidenL; 11-08-2020 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #2
hoyas490
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 M550i

So, US based here so I don't understand the different trim/options you have. But can tell you're not US based by that you can order laser light haha.

The window trim generally isn't offered in chrome anymore by BMW, and they're sorta known for their Shadowline trim of that black. That being said, I'm sure a vinyl installer, or even yourself DIY, could get some vinyl and convert it to the color you'd want. But, it usually looks better going from chrome to gloss black and not the other way around. Would be much easier to change the grille. Also worth noting on my 2018 440xi, the window trim was always black and the grille chrome from standard, but I shifted the grille. Seems like something BMW more regularly does.

Also, I just ordered an M550i in Tanzanite, and am a sucker for that color. So, I personally would recommend it. Check out JAS's post about his 540xi touring in TBII paint in the UK. Great pics of the blue with black trim. I'd highly recommend going that route if the extra cash isn't a huge deal.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #3
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I'm about to order a 530e X Drive, spec as follows:

530e MSport X Drive
Phytonic Blue
Ivory Dakota Leather
Ash Trunkwood Open Pore Trim
Visibility Pack
20" Alloy upgrade
Sun Protection Glass

Id like to change the shadowline trim on the side windows to chrome, as the Gille is chrome, but Im being told that this isn't possible. I have done this on previous BMWs, and BMWs on promotional videos show a similar M Sport care its chrome.

My other option is to add a black grille to match the shadow line, but Im not sure that would look great on Phytonic, its nicer looking on Tanzanite.

Which takes me to another question - the Sport Edition in Tanzanite looks good, and its just about 1k more than my selected spec above. It has M5 style seats, but Im wondering are they too bucket-like and rigid, as I had Sline seats in an Audi previously, but while they were very sporty, they were far from comfortable. Is Adaptive Suspension included in the Edition, or just standard M Sport suspension? Anyone have an Edition on the forum?

Also, im wondering if I should stretch to the laser lights? I do live in the countryside and drive on a lot of unlit narrow roads in the winter.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know much about the trim issue, but I did notice that the chrome trims had been removed from the UK configurator.

I have an M Sport Edition 540i Touring. Mine does come with the adaptive suspension, and it looks like the 530e xDrive does too (the configurator shows it under the 'technology' section). I'd say it works fairly well. I can definitely tell the difference between Comfort and Sport modes, although it's not exactly night and day.

My car was one of the early M Sport Editions that didn't come with the M style seats, so I can't comment on what they feel like, but from what I could see when I was researching them, they look exactly the same as the regular M Sport seats, with the exception of the wider shoulder support, so unless you were going for the comfort seats I wouldn't expect that it would make any difference. I haven't sat in them though, so you definitely shouldn't take my word for it.

Edit - now I've got my car I can see that the side bolsters are slightly more pronounced too, but they do still look pretty similar. You can see them in this video:

I have the laser lights and I love them. I also live somewhere with no street lights and do a lot of country lane driving and they work really well (so well, in fact, that when I got into my other car, I had to keep checking that my lights were actually on). However, my only comparison is with regular halogen lights that I've had on other cars. I have not tried the standard adaptive LED lights so its hard to say whether they're worth the extra dough. I would probably spec them if I was ordering again though.

The downside of the Edition model is that you can't change any of the interior. You're stuck with the dark grey 'rhombicle' trim and the blue stitching, but that was fine for us because we quite liked it and we really wanted the Tanzanite Blue paint.

Here are a few pictures of mine. It is sitting higher than usual in the first couple of photos because it has just come off the lift.

If you've got any other questions, please shout.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jas387; 11-07-2020 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
hoyas490131.50
      11-08-2020, 03:48 AM   #4
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyas490 View Post
So, US based here so I don't understand the different trim/options you have. But can tell you're not US based by that you can order laser light haha.

The window trim generally isn't offered in chrome anymore by BMW, and they're sorta known for their Shadowline trim of that black. That being said, I'm sure a vinyl installer, or even yourself DIY, could get some vinyl and convert it to the color you'd want. But, it usually looks better going from chrome to gloss black and not the other way around. Would be much easier to change the grille. Also worth noting on my 2018 440xi, the window trim was always black and the grille chrome from standard, but I shifted the grille. Seems like something BMW more regularly does.

Also, I just ordered an M550i in Tanzanite, and am a sucker for that color. So, I personally would recommend it. Check out JAS's post about his 540xi touring in TBII paint in the UK. Great pics of the blue with black trim. I'd highly recommend going that route if the extra cash isn't a huge deal.
Yep, Im in Ireland. So yes, the laser lights are calling out to me !

I just like the idea of matching side window trim and grille, I think shadow line looks great on some colours, and chrome looks better on others, but I do think they should match.

Tanzanite is a great colour, I think a lot like Audi Navarra Blue?
      11-08-2020, 04:04 AM   #5
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas387 View Post
I don't know much about the trim issue, but I did notice that the chrome trims had been removed from the UK configurator.

I have an M Sport Edition 540i Touring. Mine does come with the adaptive suspension, and it looks like the 530e xDrive does too (the configurator shows it under the 'technology' section). I'd say it works fairly well. I can definitely tell the difference between Comfort and Sport modes, although it's not exactly night and day.

My car was one of the early M Sport Editions that didn't come with the M style seats, so I can't comment on what they feel like, but from what I could see when I was researching them, they look exactly the same as the regular M Sport seats, with the exception of the wider shoulder support, so unless you were going for the comfort seats I wouldn't expect that it would make any difference. I haven't sat in them though, so you definitely shouldn't take my word for it.

Edit - now I've got my car I can see that the side bolsters are slightly more pronounced too, but they do still look pretty similar. You can see them in this video:

I have the laser lights and I love them. I also live somewhere with no street lights and do a lot of country lane driving and they work really well (so well, in fact, that when I got into my other car, I had to keep checking that my lights were actually on). However, my only comparison is with regular halogen lights that I've had on other cars. I have not tried the standard adaptive LED lights so its hard to say whether they're worth the extra dough. I would probably spec them if I was ordering again though.

The downside of the Edition model is that you can't change any of the interior. You're stuck with the dark grey 'rhombicle' trim and the blue stitching, but that was fine for us because we quite liked it and we really wanted the Tanzanite Blue paint.

Here are a few pictures of mine. It is sitting higher than usual in the first couple of photos because it has just come off the lift.

If you've got any other questions, please shout.
That video oddly is from one of the dealers I'm speaking to over here, I bought a 5 there in 2011 and a Mini for my wife in 2010. They always have great stock.

Glad to hear your thoughts on the laser lights. Any time I bought a BMW, there was three things I used do - usually change from shadow line to chrome (I know, Im old fashioned in liking chrome!) , delete Msport suspension, definitely if upgrading wheel size, and upgrade the lights one or two levels. Maybe that's 4 , because I always used upgrade the rims.

I love Tanzanite and as you said, only disadvantage is not being able to tweak the interior. The Edition spec is definitely Sporty, whereas my Phytonic/Ivory/Ash Trunkwood would tend towards Luxury I suppose.

Do you find the interior dark with the seats and black headlining? So your car didn't have the full on M5 style seats? I absolutely hated the comfort of the S5 seats, Id be interested to see how yours look. And I presume fully electric adjustment? Are the side bolsters electric?

Id love a Touring too, but my wife prefers saloons, and she actually will be driving it most as I work away a lot of the week.

Your car does look spectacular. Did you have it ceramic coated?
Attached Images

11-08-2020, 08:17 AM   #6
Jas387
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Glad to hear your thoughts on the laser lights. Any time I bought a BMW, there was three things I used do - usually change from shadow line to chrome (I know, Im old fashioned in liking chrome!) , delete Msport suspension, definitely if upgrading wheel size, and upgrade the lights one or two levels. Maybe that's 4 , because I always used upgrade the rims.
We wanted the adaptive suspension because I was keen on the 20" wheels and all the reviews I had seen said it was a must-have. It does apparently make the car sit a little higher than the M Sport suspension, but if you normally prefer the standard suspension, it doesn't seem like that would bother you. I find the ride on the 20s and the adaptive suspension to be completely fine, but there is a bit of tyre roar on some motorways and A roads. Not enough to make me regret the decision though.

Quote:
I love Tanzanite and as you said, only disadvantage is not being able to tweak the interior. The Edition spec is definitely Sporty, whereas my Phytonic/Ivory/Ash Trunkwood would tend towards Luxury I suppose.
I think that's exactly it - ours is a little more sporty. I was worried that the blue stitching and especially the M seatbelts would look a bit gaudy, but I actually quite like them now.

I suppose another disadvantage of the Tanzanite is that, being a darker colour, it is going to be a bit harder than the Phytonic to keep it looking clean. It is a great colour though. As you said above, similar to Audi Navara Blue, but probably a bit more subdued when its not in direct sunlight. The video I posted is a good example of what it looks like most of the time in our UK weather!

Quote:
Do you find the interior dark with the seats and black headlining?
No, but I've always liked black interiors. We looked at the Ivory interiors and they were really nice, but I was nervous of wear and tear on them. Yours in the Audi does look stunning though.

I wanted to try the caramel leather this time, but my wife put her foot down. Getting the Edition model actually saved us from arguing about the interior

Quote:
So your car didn't have the full on M5 style seats? I absolutely hated the comfort of the S5 seats, Id be interested to see how yours look. And I presume fully electric adjustment? Are the side bolsters electric?
Yes, strangely enough, when they first announced the Edition model, the saloon came with the M5 style seats, and the touring didn't. Just after we ordered ours, they started offering the touring with the M5 seats too, but we must have just missed the cut off, because ours has the regular M Sport seats. I've attached a photo of them below for you. Adjustment is all electric (including side bolsters and lumbar support) apart from moving them back and forward, and the headrests.

I find the sports seats quite comfortable, but my wife says she can't always get comfortable in them. We haven't had the car long though, and there's a lot of possible adjustments to make. We might try the comfort seats in our next car, but them being bundled with the comfort access puts me off.

Quote:
Id love a Touring too, but my wife prefers saloons, and she actually will be driving it most as I work away a lot of the week.
We were actually the other way around. Our last 5 series was a touring so I wanted a saloon, but my wife insisted we should have the touring in case we needed the extra space. It does make sense, as we have kids of university age and dogs - although as much as I love them, they won't be riding in the BMW any time soon.

Quote:
Your car does look spectacular. Did you have it ceramic coated?
Thanks! Yes, we did. We had it coated with Modesta BC-04. Its our first car with a coating. It seems to be doing a great job of protecting it, but it hasn't been long enough for me to give a proper opinion yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jas387; 11-08-2020 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

One of the most controversial aspects of BMW is the seat types. I strongly urge you to go to a dealership and try out the seats and if possible, do a test drive in them. The forums are full of folks who bought cars off specs and discovered that they hated the seats.

I have the luxury seating package which has the multi countour seats and I like them a lot. Based on the posts I have been reading, the types of seats is more important than the type of material (although, to me, that was important as I disliked the Dakota I had on my prior car and went for the Nappa this time).
Appreciate 1
AidenL67.50