BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Check inner tire wear!

02-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #23
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Not uncommon for that POS tire. Do yourself a favor and remove all of them from your car and replace with Michelin Pilot Sport 3ZP.
What he said! This is exactly what I did after I popped the second one on a small pothole. Wish I had done it when the first one popped at around 4K miles. The Michelin Pilot Sport 3ZP runflats are awesome, with great grip and ride, low noise, and no further problems with tires.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #24
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm surprised the US market views the Goodyear Eagle F1 so badly. It is a tyre of choice for many performance vehicles over here in the UK. Rated as one of the best run-flat tires as well.
Pete, I so respect your opinions and the posts you put forward on this forum. However, I must respectfully disagree with you on this issue. These are the worst tires I have ever experienced, and do not come close in comparison in any way to the Michelin PS3ZPs which I am now running. And for about the same cost, which is the really ridiculous thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:50 PM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Pete, I so respect your opinions and the posts you put forward on this forum. However, I must respectfully disagree with you on this issue. These are the worst tires I have ever experienced, and do not come close in comparison in any way to the Michelin PS3ZPs which I am now running. And for about the same cost, which is the really ridiculous thing.
I'm only stating what the situation has been over here with the Goodyear. Yes there are a few failures, but doesn't appear the proportion of problems like the US market, to rubbish the tire. I've not spoken with any tire shops, but from the forum reading appears most brands have some issues with pothole damage.

I do wonder what the differences are, causing the added failures. Sharper pothole edges? Different way the surfaces are put down? Don't know, just trying to understand.

Comparing to other brands, maybe it is softer sidewalls on the RFT version.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #26
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
I'm only stating what the situation has been over here with the Goodyear. Yes there are a few failures, but doesn't appear the proportion of problems like the US market, to rubbish the tire. I've not spoken with any tire shops, but from the forum reading appears most brands have some issues with pothole damage.

I do wonder what the differences are, causing the added failures. Sharper pothole edges? Different way the surfaces are put down? Don't know, just trying to understand.

Comparing to other brands, maybe it is softer sidewalls on the RFT version.
Pete

My bet is the issue with this tire is same in Europe. That said:

Roads in Europe may be better? Probably!

I'm gonna guess that fewer G30's are sold in Europe with 20" staggered summer tires.

I'm also gonna guess that Europeans jump on forums less frequently to vent their frustrations.

I know, weak science, but it's all I've got. Nevertheless, do yourself a favor and move to Michelin Pilot Sport 3ZP for your next tire change.
      02-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #27
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
I haven't read this entire thread, but considering I just had to replace my second front tire today, I would just like to say Goodyear tires suck balls! That's the first one had about five or six bubbles from hitting potholes in Houston. The other one today had a puncture on the inside.

I hated replacing them with the same Goodyear tires, but the rest of the tires have so few miles on them it didn't make sense to replace all four.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:38 PM   #28
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I haven't read this entire thread, but considering I just had to replace my second front tire today, I would just like to say Goodyear tires suck balls! That's the first one had about five or six bubbles from hitting potholes in Houston. The other one today had a puncture on the inside.

I hated replacing them with the same Goodyear tires, but the rest of the tires have so few miles on them it didn't make sense to replace all four.
Honestly, next tire failure, cut your losses and take them off.
      02-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #29
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:

Honestly, next tire failure, cut your losses and take them off.
If I would have known I was going to replace two tires in a 60 day period, I would have done just that.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #30
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
If I would have known I was going to replace two tires in a 60 day period, I would have done just that.
That's exactly where I was when I made the change. Had just had enough! Discount Tire guys kind of smiled and asked me if I was just trying to get more grip, or what? I told them I had popped two and was tired of worrying about it. They said, again with a smile, some sidewalls are better than others. That's all they would tell me, but it was clear they agreed with my decision. I am very happy with doing so, but completely understand if others cannot make that monetary committment at this time, based on individual situations, warranties, etc. I agree with Claykin that I think Goodyear Asymmetric F1 tires should be recalled. They had a descent ride, handled well, but I have never (and I am 70 years old, having owned many nice cars) had two tires fail in such a short time on any other car.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #31
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
That's exactly where I was when I made the change. Had just had enough! Discount Tire guys kind of smiled and asked me if I was just trying to get more grip, or what? I told them I had popped two and was tired of worrying about it. They said, again with a smile, some sidewalls are better than others. That's all they would tell me, but it was clear they agreed with my decision. I am very happy with doing so, but completely understand if others cannot make that monetary committment at this time, based on individual situations, warranties, etc. I agree with Claykin that I think Goodyear Asymmetric F1 tires should be recalled. They had a descent ride, handled well, but I have never (and I am 70 years old, having owned many nice cars) had two tires fail in such a short time on any other car.
As I said earlier, they suck balls. I'm with you, the next one will trigger a complete new set. At least I have road hazard on both fronts now. Hello Pirelli or maybe even Michelin. Anything would be an improvement!
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      02-05-2020, 10:23 AM   #32
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
I'm going to say this is just an issue with the level of camber for handling characteristics set by the factory. My original PSS's all wore on the inner-most section and I very rarely had issues with tire pressures. I have PS4S's now and check regularly even though my pressures are always good.

Last edited by Mach550; 02-05-2020 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #33
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
As I said earlier, they suck balls.....
I presume this is the technical term for poor quality? Whatever it is, I agree with you. Have never had great experience with Goodyears; have had very good experience with Michelins on all my cars. I recall when Goodyears first came standard on the early F10 550s a friend with one took them off after several hundred miles and put Michelins on. Hated the Goodyears. So far mine do not seem too bad, but as soon as I need them I will replace mine with Michelin All Season run flats (which I have on several cars and like). --Bob
      02-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #34
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Quote:
As I said earlier, they suck balls.....
I presume this is the technical term for poor quality? Whatever it is, I agree with you. Have never had great experience with Goodyears; have had very good experience with Michelins on all my cars. I recall when Goodyears first came standard on the early F10 550s a friend with one took them off after several hundred miles and put Michelins on. Hated the Goodyears. I will do the same as soon as I need them. --Bob
Let me take it a step further. They suck big hairy, rhinoceros balls. I will never buy Goodyear tires again (ever) and wouldn't have had them in the first place, but they came with my vehicle.

After replacing both fronts due to bubbling or inner tears, the next one will trigger a brand new set even though I only have a few thousand miles them.
Appreciate 2
Warp Ten627.00
hlothery481.50