BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540i shortage ?

05-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #1
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

540i shortage ?

Hi I dont want to spam other threads again (as with my delivery problem).

So I would like to ask you guys. Does anybody knows why there is so big problem with 540i delivery ?

Engine problems or so much big unexpected interest from customers?

I've heard from other dealer that with 550i / 530i are no problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
Hi I dont want to spam other threads again (as with my delivery problem).

So I would like to ask you guys. Does anybody knows why there is so big problem with 540i delivery ?

Engine problems or so much big unexpected interest from customers?

I've heard from other dealer that with 550i / 530i are no problems.
I was told that strikes in BMW are affecting it but that was only the opinion from my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #3
54Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

My dealer said 6-12 weeks was the norm, but he did say you never know when a strike over there will cause a problem. I don't know why Germany is so strike-happy, but I can't even imagine why it would only affect one model...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Indeed but from mine 6-12 to 20-24? Its strange..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

I just got a call from my dealer, my order is confirmed for Week 23 build.

I placed the order on April 18th
They had told me they expect production in June and that they would get the final confirmation and exact build time in a few weeks.

So, all went as expected and they heard back from Germany today and got the build date.

Having seen many posts here about delayed productions , I was really worried

I hope everyone gets their cars sooner than expected.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 12:56 AM   #6
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post
I just got a call from my dealer, my order is confirmed for Week 23 build.

I placed the order on April 18th
They had told me they expect production in June and that they would get the final confirmation and exact build time in a few weeks.

So, all went as expected and they heard back from Germany today and got the build date.

Having seen many posts here about delayed productions , I was really worried

I hope everyone gets their cars sooner than expected.
Lucky! But I wish it to you. Dont forget to post some pics when ur car is ready
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

2 to 3 months for a custom car order is normal for bmw. If you miss dealers send in date, you have to wait another couple weeks until they have another build date. Very few people ask when is next build order being sent into bmw. That alone can add 2 to 3 weeks. Plus you have to export on a boat to multiple ports, bad weather can delay.
Anyone who thinks they are getting a custom build from Europe in under a month is smoking crack, it isn't happening. New model, very little inventory, demand is higher than supply right now, so there can be a wait.

The wait is worth it, I love my 540xi. Drives so much better than my 535, is quieter and faster. Be Patient, it will come.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #8
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
2 to 3 months for a custom car order is normal for bmw. If you miss dealers send in date, you have to wait another couple weeks until they have another build date. Very few people ask when is next build order being sent into bmw. That alone can add 2 to 3 weeks. Plus you have to export on a boat to multiple ports, bad weather can delay.
Anyone who thinks they are getting a custom build from Europe in under a month is smoking crack, it isn't happening. New model, very little inventory, demand is higher than supply right now, so there can be a wait.

The wait is worth it, I love my 540xi. Drives so much better than my 535, is quieter and faster. Be Patient, it will come.
Is that an American process? In the U.K. I think they just order it and it gets slotted. You can even order online on the website now I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #9
Motorboat411
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I ordered 540i with loads of options two weeks ago and it will finish production tomorrow. My guess is that BMW puts Euro orders to the back of the queue OR the people in Europe whose orders are supposedly getting delayed, were never placed as Priority 1 - Customer Sold.

Regarding the another post about custom orders getting delayed. It's not true, dealers get certain slots for a month so even if a slot was scheduled to start production at the end of the month, it will go into production within a couple of days of being placed in "Priority 1 - Customer Sold". I know because we placed two orders on same day but weren't able to add special options due to weekend, and cars went into production in two days. Then our dealer got two slots from another local dealer, added special options and again two days later the production had begun. Its amazing how good and efficient BMW's ordering/assembly system is.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
I ordered 540i with loads of options two weeks ago and it will finish production tomorrow. My guess is that BMW puts Euro orders to the back of the queue OR the people in Europe whose orders are supposedly getting delayed, were never placed as Priority 1 - Customer Sold.

Regarding the another post about custom orders getting delayed. It's not true, dealers get certain slots for a month so even if a slot was scheduled to start production at the end of the month, it will go into production within a couple of days of being placed in "Priority 1 - Customer Sold". I know because we placed two orders on same day but weren't able to add special options due to weekend, and cars went into production in two days. Then our dealer got two slots from another local dealer, added special options and again two days later the production had begun. Its amazing how good and efficient BMW's ordering/assembly system is.
I think the slots thing is still real. Dealership can have slots and probably just take delivery of cars as stock if no one pitches up to order. And if they do come then they have a priority slot available.

For Usa market where lead time for order plus shipping it's just plain common sense for them to do this.

Happens in uk too.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 01:40 AM   #11
RamboUK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (G01) xDrive20i M Sport

Quote:

Yeah i agree on the slot part. My dealer told me that when i put my order in they will check slots etc and if they can they will try and trade someone else slot.

It is a good system and would be nice to know that depending on options if you want the car quick they can say we can do it in x time. OR if you want options added it would have to be this time.

When my car got its schedule changed for delivery end of Sept i was like wtf how can these times jump around so much and go from one code to another. My dealer says at the beginning these cars can move around due to demand and people canceling orders so you can jump up the queue that way.

Also if it was going to stay at a end of sept delivery he said we would need to take a look at what spec we can get built earlier. May need to add or take away options
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 04:48 AM   #12
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboUK View Post
Yeah i agree on the slot part. My dealer told me that when i put my order in they will check slots etc and if they can they will try and trade someone else slot.

It is a good system and would be nice to know that depending on options if you want the car quick they can say we can do it in x time. OR if you want options added it would have to be this time.

When my car got its schedule changed for delivery end of Sept i was like wtf how can these times jump around so much and go from one code to another. My dealer says at the beginning these cars can move around due to demand and people canceling orders so you can jump up the queue that way.

Also if it was going to stay at a end of sept delivery he said we would need to take a look at what spec we can get built earlier. May need to add or take away options
I am glad that your dealers is that smart and discuss it with you + have been finding possibilites.. Mine did sh*t plus he didnt tell me about the delay... i got that info "by mistake".
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
dbbude
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:

I am happy for you.
Hearing this is interesting. My production number came through at the end of the first week of May. I checked the following Monday and was told that I was slotted for construction the 2nd week of June.

Checked again today and has been pushed back 2 weeks. I am not sure if this is normal variation but 7 weeks to construction seems to be quite a bit.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal? If so, such is life but anticipating several weeks from production number to delivery makes the whole process about 4 months
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #14
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbude View Post
I am happy for you.
Hearing this is interesting. My production number came through at the end of the first week of May. I checked the following Monday and was told that I was slotted for construction the 2nd week of June.

Checked again today and has been pushed back 2 weeks. I am not sure if this is normal variation but 7 weeks to construction seems to be quite a bit.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal? If so, such is life but anticipating several weeks from production number to delivery makes the whole process about 4 months
It's not necessarily normal, but it's not unusual for a build to be delayed and rescheduled.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

05-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #15
Motorboat411
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbude View Post
I am happy for you.

Are you sure your dealer placed your car in Priority 1?

I called BMWNA today and they told me that my car has been shipped to the port...took a little over two weeks from placing order

I'm having buyer's remorse about not getting the M-Sport brakes, but don't wanna place another other, to avoid pissing the dealer off or losing out on the incentives.
Appreciate 1
dbbude24.50
      05-16-2017, 09:13 PM   #16
dbbude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure your dealer placed your car in Priority 1?

I called BMWNA today and they told me that my car has been shipped to the port...took a little over two weeks from placing order

I'm having buyer's remorse about not getting the M-Sport brakes, but don't wanna place another other, to avoid pissing the dealer off or losing out on the incentives.
Thanks for the response. I double checked the paperwork I got from the dealer and it is Priority 1.

I guess more than anything, I am worried this will start a slippery slope, the likes of which I have seen posted here and other sites.

Last edited by dbbude; 05-16-2017 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: avoid double post
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

An interesting info passed down to me by my dealership is that if you decide to choose Adaptive Headlamps Option you car will be scheduled into production no earlier than end of May or June .In this respect, delayed cars must be rather related to with or without Adaptive Headlamps ticked in the order sheet . So, glitch was found .
I don't know whether if it's true or not but it's worth the wait just for that cool and useful headlamps to me
      05-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #18
Motorboat411
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
An interesting info passed down to me by my dealership is that if you decide to choose Adaptive Headlamps Option you car will be scheduled into production no earlier than end of May or June .In this respect, delayed cars must be rather related to with or without Adaptive Headlamps ticked in the order sheet . So, glitch was found .
I don't know whether if it's true or not but it's worth the wait just for that cool and useful headlamps to me
We ordered two cars on same day, one had FULL LED headlights and other had standard headlights, both went into production and completed production more or less at the same time - two weeks.

I wonder if its to do with European FULL LED headlights with SelectiveBeam?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #19
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
We ordered two cars on same day, one had FULL LED headlights and other had standard headlights, both went into production and completed production more or less at the same time - two weeks.

I wonder if its to do with European FULL LED headlights with SelectiveBeam?
Mine went through. Unless the glitch was found just after mine rolled off and they're just gonna leave it!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 06:13 PM   #20
dbbude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Mine has adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0