BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions No more status codes in the UK from BMW Genius

11-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Thumbs down

I got in touch with Genius this morning to find out if my order has moved from 5055 to 5100. BMW Genius was sufficiently vague, so I asked him if I could have the status code. He said as of today their system doesn't show status codes anymore. Wonder what made them change it?

Real shame for those of us who are impatient, it's been one source of consolation. Guess we'll have to go the old fashioned dealer route!
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      11-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I called yesterday with the same question in the US (my car is supposedly being built this week) but the BMW genius person could not give me anything other than production commenced a couple of weeks ago and it is scheduled for completion November 9th.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      11-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I called yesterday with the same question in the US (my car is supposedly being built this week) but the BMW genius person could not give me anything other than production commenced a couple of weeks ago and it is scheduled for completion November 9th.
Same here. It's being built this week. I know yesterday it started production but nothing more than that.

I wonder if the dealers complained as it made some of us more aware than the lazy dealers who don't keep us up to date.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Same here. It's being built this week. I know yesterday it started production but nothing more than that.

I wonder if the dealers complained as it made some of us more aware than the lazy dealers who don't keep us up to date.
I doubt it. I would think that now we will harass our dealers with requests for updates from their more complete resources. The dealer has already made the sale so it has no incentive to make our life difficult which would only make theirs difficult.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50
      11-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

When I was getting updates on my car, around 5-10th October the Geniuses (is that a word?) would randomly ask where I found about using Genius chat to get status updates. They said it was just market research.

I figured from this that they were considering reducing the usefulness of the system, probably due to over use. If you can't get a status code, just an est. delivery date, you are much less likely to log on and ask them each day/every couple of days as there is nothing new to learn. You will now probably ask them maybe once every week or two just to check the date hasn't changed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
When I was getting updates on my car, around 5-10th October the Geniuses (is that a word?) would randomly ask where I found about using Genius chat to get status updates. They said it was just market research.

I figured from this that they were considering reducing the usefulness of the system, probably due to over use. If you can't get a status code, just an est. delivery date, you are much less likely to log on and ask them each day/every couple of days as there is nothing new to learn. You will now probably ask them maybe once every week or two just to check the date hasn't changed.
I think you are right. They probably didn't design the service for the purpose we all ended up using it. If I were them, I'd simply connect their back end to the BMW website, so we can find out what we want without hassling the geniuses (officially a new word now ).
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      11-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

old word...tortured application of it.
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50