BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion my Z4 M roadster....seized for street racing

04-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

my Z4 M roadster....seized for street racing

Hey guys this happened to me yesterday any ideas?
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253880
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

It's your first arrest and your in the service. Get a lawyer and go through the hoops. It will cost you for sure. If this happened in California - you would be totally screwed. I'm not sure how it is in the southern states.

Hopefully you won't do this again. Street racing in most states is considered a serious offense. We all get the urge, but it is never a smart thing to do. Get out to a track a couple times and you will lose the urge to drive like that on the streets.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Well.... Dunno what to say.... You call them "donut stuffers" and at the same time you seem to be asking for a cookie for serving voluntarily....

I hope all works out well for you, but you have no one to be mad at but yourself. I highly doubt you were unaware of the potential consequences of your actions. The military should reinforce sense of responsibility, but often times it deflates it. And, if anything, thinking you being active duty would quell the pursuit, that's funny to me. It's so easy to get nabbed when you're in the military, especially with all the communication that usually is open between base personnel and local police.

It sucks how you got nabbed. But you can't be pissed at the cops for you knowingly breaking the law.

And, for the record, this is coming from a combat veteran with three combat tours in the Marines. I'm not saying I never did anything like that, but I am saying I would properly hold myself fully responsible for any and all consequences, as should you.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
jeremydgreat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

What does the service have to do with street racing, drunk driving, and other basic types of law-breaking?
135i // M-Sports Package // RR Oil Catch Can // Black Kidneys // iCarbon Hood // Alum Pedals // KW v2 Coilovers // Vorshlag Camber Plates // Hotchkis Sway Bar // Wheel Studs. Best mod ever? Tires. 255's in front, 275's in back.

Last edited by jeremydgreat; 04-21-2009 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
lauer87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

While I don't condone what you did (i.e. street racing), this is complete BS. Lawyer up, any DECENT lawyer should be able to at the very least get the evading arrest and prearranged street racing violations thrown out with a sound motion to dismiss. The reckless endangerment might not be as easy to get thrown out, but the first two charges sound like complete BS to me. Good luck, and thanks for serving.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

If it's going to court you should not be talking about it here.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
mackzilla
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeeeep Wrangler Unlimited

Fayetteville cops

(I'm also in town)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Get a lawyer. Didn't seem like you were racing. You can't be responsible for others reaction to your action. Does he has the proof the race is prearranged? Can he prove the intent to street race? You may have violated speed limits and perhaps even driving recklessly but street race? Did he pursuit other vehicles or he singled you out? He's an off duty cop. May want to check into whether he has a record of asserting his authority while being off duty, and examine whether he has targeted a particular segment of population. For example, others in your area has mentioned local cops have personal issues with military folks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

What a prick. Besides the few that are out to actually help people, "F the police" is right.
      04-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Lawyer up.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Well.... Dunno what to say.... You call them "donut stuffers" and at the same time you seem to be asking for a cookie for serving voluntarily....

I hope all works out well for you, but you have no one to be mad at but yourself. I highly doubt you were unaware of the potential consequences of your actions. The military should reinforce sense of responsibility, but often times it deflates it. And, if anything, thinking you being active duty would quell the pursuit, that's funny to me. It's so easy to get nabbed when you're in the military, especially with all the communication that usually is open between base personnel and local police.

It sucks how you got nabbed. But you can't be pissed at the cops for you knowingly breaking the law.

And, for the record, this is coming from a combat veteran with three combat tours in the Marines. I'm not saying I never did anything like that, but I am saying I would properly hold myself fully responsible for any and all consequences, as should you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydgreat View Post
What does the service have to do with street racing, drunk driving, and other basic types of law-breaking?
Totally agree. I'm tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions and coming to this site for sympathy. Don't use the "decorated combat vet" crap here. Everyone in the military knows that AAM's, ARCOM's, and MSM's are automatic nowadays.

You knowingly broke the law. It serves you right to be embarrassed about being arrested in front of your chain of command. That being said, get a lawyer. No way can these charges stick.
      04-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Get a lawyer. Didn't seem like you were racing. You can't be responsible for others reaction to your action. Does he has the proof the race is prearranged? Can he prove the intent to street race? You may have violated speed limits and perhaps even driving recklessly but street race? Did he pursuit other vehicles or he singled you out? He's an off duty cop. May want to check into whether he has a record of asserting his authority while being off duty, and examine whether he has targeted a particular segment of population. For example, others in your area has mentioned local cops have personal issues with military folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-Villalona View Post
so there I was sunday afternoon, not a fucken cop in sight for miles. Pulled up to light with a mustang and a srt-4 behind me, it goes green and I gun it, sport button plus dsc, no mufflers, I was gone.
ORLY?
      04-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
ORLY?
What constitutes racing? A contest of speed. If you took off fast minding your own business on to a freeway and leveled off at 65mph, while someone behind else behind you is bent on passing you without your knowing. Would it be fair to charge you with street racing?

He may be at the wrong place at the wrong time when he took off fast next to couple of fast cars. It wasn't clear in his story whether the Rustang or SRT4 was keeping up. If they were not then it's not a contest of speed therefore not a street race.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
What constitutes racing? A contest of speed. If you took off fast minding your own business on to a freeway and leveled off at 65mph, while someone behind else behind you is bent on passing you without your knowing. Would it be fair to charge you with street racing?

He may be at the wrong place at the wrong time when he took off fast next to couple of fast cars. It wasn't clear in his story whether the Rustang or SRT4 was keeping up. If they were not then it's not a contest of speed therefore not a street race.
Well, cops are trained to make that judgement call. I'm sure a cop wouldn't take his valuable off time in pursuing someone he viewed as having participated in a street race, unless there was at least a good deal of truth to the accusation.

That being said, I doubt the charges will stick, I still think the OP needs to get his head straight about taking personal responsibility for his actions. From his original post, you don't exactly have to read between the lines to see that his actions were highly suspect of racing. But, because the cop was off duty, the serious charges just can't fly without more evidence.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #15
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

Seriously, i'm not going to go on the, you know you were wrong, man up argument. Even though it's completely true, and those of you that are going on it are justified.

But that's some of the worst luck i've ever heard. Did the cop go after any of the other people you were apparently prearranged to street race? No. He followed the guy with the nice car, came to his place of work, and carried him out in cuffs. That's just messed up in general.

I wonder if mr. mustang and mr. neon are laying back with a miller lite right now.
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

As an attorney I'm telling you to pony up a retainer and hire local counsel to look out for your best interest.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
Robert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Well, cops are trained to make that judgement call. I'm sure a cop wouldn't take his valuable off time in pursuing someone he viewed as having participated in a street race, unless there was at least a good deal of truth to the accusation.

That being said, I doubt the charges will stick, I still think the OP needs to get his head straight about taking personal responsibility for his actions. From his original post, you don't exactly have to read between the lines to see that his actions were highly suspect of racing. But, because the cop was off duty, the serious charges just can't fly without more evidence.
It's clear his action definitely racked up some infractions, but on the other hand, the cop went out of his way, actions which may be judged excessive, to get his way. Some cops get off from doing this so technically it's not a waste of his time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAcAvenger View Post
Seriously, i'm not going to go on the, you know you were wrong, man up argument. Even though it's completely true, and those of you that are going on it are justified.

But that's some of the worst luck i've ever heard. Did the cop go after any of the other people you were apparently prearranged to street race? No. He followed the guy with the nice car, came to his place of work, and carried him out in cuffs. That's just messed up in general.

I wonder if mr. mustang and mr. neon are laying back with a miller lite right now.
Yup. A total power trip. I am surprised he didn't smash his head against the trunk couple times because he is a dangerously trained solider in mortal combat. Cop needs to soften him up for self defense. The OP needs to take his medicine and pony up the fine or lawyer fee and the cop needs to evaluated for his action.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
thegeneral101
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Z06,'13 750Li,'11 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Totally agree. I'm tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions and coming to this site for sympathy. Don't use the "decorated combat vet" crap here. Everyone in the military knows that AAM's, ARCOM's, and MSM's are automatic nowadays.

You knowingly broke the law. It serves you right to be embarrassed about being arrested in front of your chain of command. That being said, get a lawyer. No way can these charges stick.
worded perfectly. good luck to the OP I doubt this will hold, and thanks for serving!!
      04-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #19
LiKWiD335xi
Anthony
Italy
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335xi

Similar situation happened to a friend of mine. At a stoplight near my house, there's a left turning signal but no turn only lane. An off duty cop was to the left where typically only people who are making the left turn will be at. My friend was to the right of him. When the light turned green the cop went straight. My friend was also going straight and sped up to avoid hitting a curb (the whole intersection is fucked up to be honest).

4 days later and the off duty cop shows up at my friend's house looking for him! He wrote him 4 tickets, one of them included littering as my friend threw a cig out of his window. Total BS. He got a good lawyer and all the tickets were thrown out. He even had the option to pursue harassment charges against the cop but didn't because taking that route with a cop in the same town you live will just be a big hassle for the future. We all know how cops work...

Hopefully your lawyer can get the same done.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #20
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

well i read it all guys thanks for the input. My lawyer wants to bury this guy in his suqad car what do I do?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #21
daheechang
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 m3

police.. smh
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #22
boymonkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiKWiD335xi View Post
Similar situation happened to a friend of mine. At a stoplight near my house, there's a left turning signal but no turn only lane. An off duty cop was to the left where typically only people who are making the left turn will be at. My friend was to the right of him. When the light turned green the cop went straight. My friend was also going straight and sped up to avoid hitting a curb (the whole intersection is fucked up to be honest).

4 days later and the off duty cop shows up at my friend's house looking for him! He wrote him 4 tickets, one of them included littering as my friend threw a cig out of his window. Total BS. He got a good lawyer and all the tickets were thrown out. He even had the option to pursue harassment charges against the cop but didn't because taking that route with a cop in the same town you live will just be a big hassle for the future. We all know how cops work...

Hopefully your lawyer can get the same done.
That IS littering. I don't get why some people think it's ok to throw cigarettes on the ground.
Appreciate 0