BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2019: US GP - Austin (Nov 3)

11-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #133
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
No,first time I'm seeing it from you.Without that hole and the endplate breaking off it would arguably have made Max's RB the fastest car and just look at how Alb was cutting through the field with his apparently intact car after his bump.
Max managed that RB15 as best he could and nearly got 2nd.
MAX said more than once over the board radio the car behavior was not normal . Car felt out of balance ..
His start was great . But I saw it in turn 1 . He drove pretty wild over the curbs . I'm pretty sure that was the moment when he damaged the floor .
In lap 4 he was already complaining about the issue .By the damage his top-speed was also lower than normal .

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58899.00
      11-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #134
msk340i
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Are you seriously suggesting that I was being serious there???

Lol you guys are too serious
You know your tone doesn't show on my screen and I've seen enough BS here to think you're serious lol
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58899.00
OG Shark4656.00
      11-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #135
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
MAX said more than once over the board radio the car behavior was not normal . Car felt out of balance ..
His start was great . But I saw it in turn 1 . He drove pretty wild over the curbs . I'm pretty sure that was the moment when he damaged the floor .
In lap 4 he was already complaining about the issue .By the damage his top-speed was also lower than normal .
To say that track needs a resurface and some kinder kerbs would be an understatement lol
Anyway good night to you my friend, need an early start tomorrow.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #136
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
To say that track needs a resurface and some kinder kerbs would be an understatement lol
Anyway good night to you my friend, need an early start tomorrow.
I just saw they are working on a resurface .
Good night my friend . Same here . My early start is at 4:30 AM ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58899.00
      11-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #137
msk340i
Major
Rep

So Binotto finally opened his mouth and said that the straight line deficit is because of higher drag caused by more front wing angle. He said that Vettel asked for more downforce in the front because of understeer during Friday practice.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #138
OG Shark
Rep
Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by msk340i View Post
So Binotto finally opened his mouth and said that the straight line deficit is because of higher drag caused by more front wing angle. He said that Vettel asked for more downforce in the front because of understeer during Friday practice.
And this just adds to Ferrari's baffling season to me. They were within a .10 of pole with that setup but couldn't carry that over to the race. Also it seemed like they had their front wing figured out coming out of the summer break - my understanding that was the fix that gained them the most improvement in pace. But to then add so much downforce that Renault passes you down the back straight without DRS? I can understand Leclerc being down on pace with the spec 2 engine - but he showed he could match in qualy too but then immediately got driven away from during the race. This has been such a weird up & down season for them.

So what I want to know was how they were so competitive in qualy but then immediately could not keep up with the top 3? Did they have to turn the power up on both cars to a level that wouldn't be close to being reliable to keep pace? So strange.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #139
msk340i
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
And this just adds to Ferrari's baffling season to me. They were within a .10 of pole with that setup but couldn't carry that over to the race. Also it seemed like they had their front wing figured out coming out of the summer break - my understanding that was the fix that gained them the most improvement in pace. But to then add so much downforce that Renault passes you down the back straight without DRS? I can understand Leclerc being down on pace with the spec 2 engine - but he showed he could match in qualy too but then immediately got driven away from during the race. This has been such a weird up & down season for them.

So what I want to know was how they were so competitive in qualy but then immediately could not keep up with the top 3? Did they have to turn the power up on both cars to a level that wouldn't be close to being reliable to keep pace? So strange.
The car is good for a hot lap but in the race they couldn't get the tyres to work. Vettel did have the grip to start and after that it just went downhill. If you watch the invitation when HAM and RIC passed him you can see the crazy understeer. By the time he got his tyres in the sweet spot they were degraded too much and he lost a lot of time. Same story with LEC, too much understeer going in a corner then too much wheel spin coming out of the corners destroyed his tyres.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #140
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Just got in from Austin today. The entire weekend was epic. We were in the Turn 15 complex hospitality area immediately at the end of the straight. We could see the cars braking from 215 MPH and turning into the Turn 15 complex all the way to them turning into the Turn 8 replica. Really great seats...thanks to Red Bull.

The track staff was excellent and made special accommodations for my brother beyond what ADA calls for. They allowed me do drive my car all the way into the facility and drop him at the seating area. He literally only had to walk 20 feet to get to the area. Thereafter, I went to our parking area in South Dallas and they sent a cart to pick me up and bring me to the hospitality area. They did this all but one time and it made his life much better. Thanks to all of the staff!!

Qualifying: Underwhelming to say the least but I understand the strategy behind Mercedes and their positioning of the cars. Like everyone, I was baffled by the lack of Ferrari speed throughout the entire weekend.

Race: HAM shows why he is a 6 time champion. His tire management was sublime and was the reason he stayed out longer than recommended. His main fault was at the beginning of the second stint to take a bit too much out of the tires early in the stint. The final laps meant he was unable to fight off BOT in an equal platform but he would have been able to resist VER without the yellow flags. The HAAS was only about 150 meters away from our position and each person in our group who had experience on that track agreed that there should have been double yellows at the area leading to the stricken HAAS and back to green afterwards. The car would have been in the trajectory of any car losing brakes or having a DRS error in that area.

Even without the Yellow Flag, Max would have been able to close up but not pass the Merc in HAMs hands. Catching them is on thing...passing another thing, entirely.

The photo is of Ferrari bringing Binotto to the track. They passed right in front of me as I was making my way back to the seating area. Cool stuff!!
Attached Images

Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 8
SakhirM410783.00
3798j11170.00
yco5722.50
fanatic11018.50
M5Rick58899.00
Poiseuille5362.00
      11-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #141
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

^ Glad you enjoyed the facility. I hated it. Paid a shit ton for "premium" parking, which was in lot F, and had to walk several miles per day through the fields. The shuttles were often not running, and/or total chaos. Day 1 we had to walk from lot f to turn 1. I think it was nearly 5 miles.

Day 2 was in the main grandstand, and I was shocked at the lack of restrooms especially since those are some of the most expensive seats.

Was in turn 15 for the race, and thought that was pretty good, other than abysmal food and drink options nearby.

Other dislikes:
$16 beers. Really? It's not a strip club.

The concerts were total shit shows. My wife likes Pink, so bought the upgraded tickets. Little did I know that "upgrade" meant me and 10,000 of my closest friends. Waited in line for an hour with my "upgrade" tickets and still couldn't see the stage.

The roads going in and out of then track are totally insufficient to handle the volume of cars. It took me 2.5 hours from downtown Austin to get to my seat on race day. I damn near missed the start of the race.

Only one bottle of water is allowed to be brought in per person? That should damn near be illegal. Preventing peole from bringing in a basic life necessity as they sit in the baking sun is unconscionable.

At the end of the day, I was embarrassed that all of the foreign visitors were seeing all of these things and shaping their opinion of the US based on their experience at the track.

I predict a sharp attendance drop next year!
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      11-05-2019, 01:17 AM   #142
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
^ Glad you enjoyed the facility. I hated it. Paid a shit ton for "premium" parking, which was in lot F, and had to walk several miles per day through the fields. The shuttles were often not running, and/or total chaos. Day 1 we had to walk from lot f to turn 1. I think it was nearly 5 miles.

Day 2 was in the main grandstand, and I was shocked at the lack of restrooms especially since those are some of the most expensive seats.

Was in turn 15 for the race, and thought that was pretty good, other than abysmal food and drink options nearby.

Other dislikes:

The concerts were total shit shows. My wife likes Pink, so bought the upgraded tickets. Little did I know that "upgrade" meant me and 10,000 of my closest friends. Waited in line for an hour with my "upgrade" tickets and still couldn't see the stage.

The roads going in and out of then track are totally insufficient to handle the volume of cars. It took me 2.5 hours from downtown Austin to get to my seat on race day. I damn near missed the start of the race.

Only one bottle of water is allowed to be brought in per person? That should damn near be illegal. Preventing peole from bringing in a basic life necessity as they sit in the baking sun is unconscionable.

At the end of the day, I was embarrassed that all of the foreign visitors were seeing all of these things and shaping their opinion of the US based on their experience at the track.

I just flew in from Austin.

It was a great event for sure. I was there for all 3 days and our seats were by turn 4 and 9. Sunday weather was just gorgeous.

We were on lot N and it was ok, 3rd day we scored a spot right by the gate so no complaints there.

There were "normal" beers for $12 and $16 for premium. I thought the food was horrible overall and on day 3 we went straight to Pizza Hut (sad).

Traffic in and out of the event was unacceptable and the back roads were horrible. I am hope they will improve them by next year.

Overall it was a great event but nowhere near being some of the other cities that host this event. But I am glad, I went.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 06:16 AM   #143
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:

Other dislikes:

I'm sorry your experience was less than desirable for you and your family. You're absolutely correct about the walking and the lack of vehicles for many patrons. The vexing part about this was that there were dozens of them just parked in the premium area just sitting there, un-used.

I don't know how you handled it but I recommend the squeaky wheel approach and find someone who can make a decision and has the authority to get things done. Good luck in the future!!
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #144
The J-Man
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
I just flew in from Austin.

It was a great event for sure. I was there for all 3 days and our seats were by turn 4 and 9. Sunday weather was just gorgeous.

We were on lot N and it was ok, 3rd day we scored a spot right by the gate so no complaints there.

There were "normal" beers for $12 and $16 for premium. I thought the food was horrible overall and on day 3 we went straight to Pizza Hut (sad).

Traffic in and out of the event was unacceptable and the back roads were horrible. I am hope they will improve them by next year.

Overall it was a great event but nowhere near being some of the other cities that host this event. But I am glad, I went.
Ah yes, I forgot about the $12 beers. Was that for bud light or something? Heineken which is NOT premium was $16. Ridiculous.

This event was an extremely poor showing for F1 and COTA. There was record attendance due to the Netflix documentary and COTA shit the bed. There was a real opportunity to bring new fans into the sport in the US. Instead, fans were shown that F1 means walking through fields for miles, drinking bud light and waiting in line for overflowing port a pottys. Not exactly the premium racing experience that F1 conveys. F1 fans have high incomes and aren't accustomed to "roughing it." Quite honestly, NASCAR races have better facilities despite the lower rent crowd.

COTA better proceed carefully. F1 is a fickle mistress. Between fan complaints and driver complaints about the track conditions, it's not out of question that COTA could be dropped from the schedule, especially if Miami proceeds.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #145
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Appreciate 1
M5Rick58899.00
      11-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #146
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Great job SEB ! Amazing.. that he could keep that car on the track !

Appreciate 3
M5Rick58899.00
MKSixer34171.50
beats225.00
      11-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #147
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Quote:
You guys should consider going to the Canadian GP next time. Public transportation, although crowded, is readily available to the track. No issues with any of the bathroom facilities and the food is good. And the best thing is that you're allowed to bring as much alcohol as you want as long as long as its not in a glass bottle. The only downside is that its a bit crowded getting around the track and there are very, very few good spots to see the race if you choose GA tickets.

I'd love to see the F1 race in Austin, but the issues you guys highlighted are really keeping me from going.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58899.00
      11-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #148
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

Other dislikes:

Guess I am spoiled with my Lot A parking every year and 2min walk to main grandstand.

Traffic can mostly be avoided after you realize from which direction you need to approach the track. I'll keep that quiet, since every year people don't seem to catch on.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #149
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Great job SEB ! Amazing.. that he could keep that car on the track !

Three wheels on his wagon and he controlled it well thank goodness.
Appreciate 2
      11-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #150
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:

Ferrari wheel people need to go to RB wheel change school.
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #151
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
A signature from a member of another forum. Best I've ever seen.

248 Starts | 83 Wins | 150 Podiums | 46 Fastest Laps | 87 Pole-Positions | 3399 Points | 5 Grand Slams | 6 World Drivers' Championships (2008, 2014, 2015, 2017,2018, 2019) | 6 World Constructors' Championships (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Melbourne (2008, 2015) | Kuala Lumpur (2014) | Shanghai (2008, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019) | Sakhir (2014, 2015, 2019) | Baku (2018) | Barcelona (2014, 2017, 2018, 2019) | Sochi (2014, 2015, 2018, 2019) | Monte Carlo (2008, 2016, 2019) | Montréal (2007, 2010, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019) | Le Castellet (2018, 2019) | Indianapolis (2007) | Spielberg (2016) | Istanbul (2010) | Silverstone (2008, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019) | Hockenheim (2008, 2016, 2018) | Nürburg (2011) | Budapest (2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2018, 2019) | Spa-Francorchamps (2010, 2015, 2017) | Monza (2012, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018) | Singapore (2009, 2014, 2017, 2018) | Suzuka (2014, 2015, 2017, 2018) | Austin (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) | Fuji (2007) | Mexico City (2016, 2019) | São Paolo (2016, 2018) | Abu Dhabi (2011, 2014, 2016, 2018) |

When you put it all in one place it seems surreal.
Appreciate 4
      11-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #152
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Ferrari wheel people need to go to RB wheel change school.
My friend .Please check this out....... => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666633

Appreciate 2
M5Rick58899.00
MKSixer34171.50
      11-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #153
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
My friend .Please check this out....... => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666633
People can have titles for this and that but Max getting to be youngest winner at 18 years old...another thing to make Charles envious!
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #154
The J-Man
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
You guys should consider going to the Canadian GP next time. Public transportation, although crowded, is readily available to the track. No issues with any of the bathroom facilities and the food is good. And the best thing is that you're allowed to bring as much alcohol as you want as long as long as its not in a glass bottle. The only downside is that its a bit crowded getting around the track and there are very, very few good spots to see the race if you choose GA tickets.

I'd love to see the F1 race in Austin, but the issues you guys highlighted are really keeping me from going.
Yeah I am considering Canada or Singapore for next year. Will never be back to Austin.
Appreciate 0