BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition Gym Talk! Daily gym related talk

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-29-2021, 07:37 AM   #2795
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

Anyone have any advice on how to reduce "back fat." I've heard you can't really target fat loss to a specific area. Not sure if that's true or not. I'm not "fat" by any means but everyone has fat and for me it's where my bra band hits. There's a small muffin top that I can't stand when I look at myself in the mirror to see that. I have weights at home, I go to the gym, but I'm not really sure exactly how to target that area, if I even can target that area.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 07:50 AM   #2796
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1308
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Anyone have any advice on how to reduce "back fat." I've heard you can't really target fat loss to a specific area. Not sure if that's true or not. I'm not "fat" by any means but everyone has fat and for me it's where my bra band hits. There's a small muffin top that I can't stand when I look at myself in the mirror to see that. I have weights at home, I go to the gym, but I'm not really sure exactly how to target that area, if I even can target that area.
Haha you sound similar to my fiance, but her area of concerns is her arms. Long story short, targeting a specific area does not work. As your overall BF percentage reduces those areas will dwindle. Everyone is different and hold fat in different areas. For myself it would be my stomach & chest. I've never had any success trying to target those areas unfortunately. You can attempt to increase core work (targeting your lower back & obliques), but unless your diet (where I assume the problem might lie) changes then it most likely will remain the same. You can try to counter diet with exercise, but unless your workouts are crazy intense then it wont work.

Hope this wasn't too blunt of a response and good luck!
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7160.50

      01-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #2797
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Haha you sound similar to my fiance, but her area of concerns is her arms. Long story short, targeting a specific area does not work. As your overall BF percentage reduces those areas will dwindle. Everyone is different and hold fat in different areas. For myself it would be my stomach & chest. I've never had any success trying to target those areas unfortunately. You can attempt to increase core work (targeting your lower back & obliques), but unless your diet (where I assume the problem might lie) changes then it most likely will remain the same. You can try to counter diet with exercise, but unless your workouts are crazy intense then it wont work.

Hope this wasn't too blunt of a response and good luck!
How accurate are those handheld devices at the gym that measures your body fat? You hold it in your hands and it supposedly calculates with electrodes or some shit like that. The guy at the gym told me it was 99% accurate. That fucking device reading said that I am 39% body fat. I don't get offended easily, but I was offended! Do I really look like I'm almost 40% body fat??? I mean yeah, I like to eat Oreos and ice cream, but not every day. I think I eat pretty good, but obviously could be better.

So I need to cut out the sweets, do full body workouts and not just work my arms and back to reduce the muffin top I have?

It's not horrible, but it bothers me to see it in the mirror.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #2798
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
7161
Rep
19,369
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Haha you sound similar to my fiance, but her area of concerns is her arms. Long story short, targeting a specific area does not work. As your overall BF percentage reduces those areas will dwindle. Everyone is different and hold fat in different areas. For myself it would be my stomach & chest. I've never had any success trying to target those areas unfortunately. You can attempt to increase core work (targeting your lower back & obliques), but unless your diet (where I assume the problem might lie) changes then it most likely will remain the same. You can try to counter diet with exercise, but unless your workouts are crazy intense then it wont work.

Hope this wasn't too blunt of a response and good luck!
Good post.

Age plays a big role too. The older you get, the more sensitive your body is likely to become to dietary choices and the more likely it is to expose lapses, gaps, or inadequacies in your workout routine.

As long as your body fat level is not approaching an unhealthily low percentage, and as long as you are prepared to commit to the fight against perhaps increasingly diminishing returns, what I would say to Sara504 is to carefully watch what you eat, and increase/vary your cardiovascular activity. Cut down on whatever foods your particular physiology tends to respond negatively to the most (track it if you need to in order to keep yourself honest). And increase activity in whatever areas your body type tends to respond to the most positively.

At my age, I find that very small changes to inputs (food and diet, but also stress/anxiety) can make noticeable differences. It takes a lot of discipline, and just a couple days of being "off program" can be the difference between seeing that ever so slight "muffin top" (to borrow Sara504's very eloquent imagery ) above the wasteband of my workout attire at the end of the week or not.
Appreciate 2
Sara4156.00
JP101308.00

      01-29-2021, 08:20 AM   #2799
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Good post.

Age plays a big role too. The older you get, the more sensitive your body is likely to become to dietary choices and the more likely it is to expose lapses, gaps, or inadequacies in your workout routine.

As long as your body fat level is not approaching an unhealthily low percentage, and as long as you are prepared to commit to the fight against perhaps increasingly diminishing returns, what I would say to Sara504 is to carefully watch what you eat, and increase/vary your cardiovascular activity. Cut down on whatever foods your particular physiology tends to respond negatively to the most (track it if you need to in order to keep yourself honest). And increase activity in whatever areas your body type tends to respond to the most positively.

At my age, I find that very small changes to inputs (food and diet, but also stress/anxiety) can make noticeable differences. It takes a lot of discipline, and just a couple days of being "off program" can be the difference between seeing that ever so slight "muffin top" (to borrow Sara504's very eloquent imagery ) above the wasteband of my workout attire at the end of the week or not.
I'm definitely not 21 anymore (though botox keeps me looking that way, ha). I'm currently moving and extremely stressed the F out with that. Starting a new job in 10 days, moving 7 states away for this job, I'm trying my best to remain sane during this time. I canceled my gym membership here, obviously, and I fully intend on joining a gym in Louisiana once I get there. My current routine is 3-4 days a week in the evening. Warm up 20 minutes running the stairs, and then hitting weights for 20 minutes. But I find I'm not doing something right as the muffin top is still there in my back area. I hate it.

Anyone in South East Louisiana area who would like to coach me for one session to figure out what I'm doing wrong? I could be using the machines completely wrong. I think as stated earlier, I'm not doing full body and was previously only trying to target my back and arms (while eating Oreos).
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7160.50

      01-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #2800
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1308
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
How accurate are those handheld devices at the gym that measures your body fat? You hold it in your hands and it supposedly calculates with electrodes or some shit like that. The guy at the gym told me it was 99% accurate. That fucking device reading said that I am 39% body fat. I don't get offended easily, but I was offended! Do I really look like I'm almost 40% body fat??? I mean yeah, I like to eat Oreos and ice cream, but not every day. I think I eat pretty good, but obviously could be better.

So I need to cut out the sweets, do full body workouts and not just work my arms and back to reduce the muffin top I have?

It's not horrible, but it bothers me to see it in the mirror.
Bingo. Yeah definitely not that noticeable, so I wouldnt be overly concerned. You really don't have much to loss, hence just doing more intense full body workouts might work, but obviously any improvements to your diet will expedite those results.

I don't trust majority of the devices that measure body fat, and honestly that is just a number so who cares anyway. I stick to the old mirror check method, weight/numbers dont mean anything. All about how you look in the mirror at the end of the day. You're far from 40% bf so don't worry haha, my scale tells me I am close to 30%bf some days. That usually just makes me laugh "dang I look pretty solid for being obese!".
Appreciate 1
Sara4156.00

      01-29-2021, 08:29 AM   #2801
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Bingo. Yeah definitely not that noticeable, so I wouldnt be overly concerned. You really don't have much to loss, hence just doing more intense full body workouts might work, but obviously any improvements to your diet will expedite those results.

I don't trust majority of the devices that measure body fat, and honestly that is just a number so who cares anyway. I stick to the old mirror check method, weight/numbers dont mean anything. All about how you look in the mirror at the end of the day. You're far from 40% bf so don't worry haha, my scale tells me I am close to 30%bf some days. That usually just makes me laugh "dang I look pretty solid for being obese!".
What are your thoughts for energy boosts? I work out in the evenings. I can't do it in the morning, working out on an empty stomach makes me nauseated and gives me the feeling that I'm going to pass out. I go to the gym directly after work, and I feel like I need boost of energy after working all day. My best friend works out daily for 90 minutes - 2 hours at a time! I can barely make it 40 minutes. I use smelling salts (not every workout), but long term I think that's going to kill my brain cells eventually lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:53 AM   #2802
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1308
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
What are your thoughts for energy boosts? I work out in the evenings. I can't do it in the morning, working out on an empty stomach makes me nauseated and gives me the feeling that I'm going to pass out. I go to the gym directly after work, and I feel like I need boost of energy after working all day. My best friend works out daily for 90 minutes - 2 hours at a time! I can barely make it 40 minutes. I use smelling salts (not every workout), but long term I think that's going to kill my brain cells eventually lol.

I actually prefer to workout in a fasted state, I'm usually at the gym around 5am and leave 1/4 before 7am. With that said if you are feeling faint & nauseated in the evening during a workout there is probably a different underlying issue. Do you drink enough water throughout the day, and do you eat a proper lunch during work? If you're doing those two things you shouldn't be feeling too bad at the gym after work, but maybe eat some healthy carbs before your workout (I would keep the calorie intake here to a minimum based on your want to lose weight, try to get 30g of carbs under 100 calories - maybe a small Kind Bar).

Ditch the smelling salts for god's sake lmao, by your figure it doesn't look like you're deadlifting +500lbs so it shouldn't be necessary for you to get into a lift. Also the salts throw off your cognizant meaning unless you are really trained and strict with your movements you could end up hurting yourself due to the euphoria/aggression if you want to call it that lol.

In regards to the pre-workout, sometimes they can upset an empty stomach, especially the ones loaded with all kinds of different additives. Just like a vitamin would when taken on an empty stomach. This is where those carbs could help you. Pre-workout is completely fine, I like to keep my caffeine intake to a minimum (this way coffee at work actually phases me haha). An amino-energy blend might benefit you as the aminos tend to help keep you energized/hydrated throughout the workout, plenty of brands that make a blend.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 08:58 AM   #2803
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I actually prefer to workout in a fasted state, I'm usually at the gym around 5am and leave 1/4 before 7am. With that said if you are feeling faint & nauseated in the evening during a workout there is probably a different underlying issue. Do you drink enough water throughout the day, and do you eat a proper lunch during work? If you're doing those two things you shouldn't be feeling too bad at the gym after work, but maybe eat some healthy carbs before your workout (I would keep the calorie intake here to a minimum based on your want to lose weight, try to get 30g of carbs under 100 calories - maybe a small Kind Bar).

Ditch the smelling salts for god's sake lmao, by your figure it doesn't look like you're deadlifting +500lbs so it shouldn't be necessary for you to get into a lift. Also the salts throw off your cognizant meaning unless you are really trained and strict with your movements you could end up hurting yourself due to the euphoria/aggression if you want to call it that lol.

In regards to the pre-workout, sometimes they can upset an empty stomach, especially the ones loaded with all kinds of different additives. Just like a vitamin would when taken on an empty stomach. This is where those carbs could help you. Pre-workout is completely fine, I like to keep my caffeine intake to a minimum (this way coffee at work actually phases me haha). An amino-energy blend might benefit you as the aminos tend to help keep you energized/hydrated throughout the workout, plenty of brands that make a blend.
No no, it's the mornings I can't work out. I've done morning workouts before with girlfriends and I just can't keep up. I have to eat and let the food digest before a workout and I dont have time to eat in the mornings, that early. I remember I was about to faint at the gym during a 4:30 AM workout from not having anything in my stomach and trying to lift weights. That's why I prefer working out in the evenings, when I've had two-three meals in me by that time, but I find I still get tired pretty quickly after 40 minutes.

Haha, you're right I'm not deadlifting anything, period. I just like the instant kick it gives me. I feel like I could lift a car and turn into the hulk for 30 seconds. It's amazing. But man does it stink!


I will look into the amino blend right now!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:09 AM   #2804
1MOREMOD
-
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
11320
Rep
23,140
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Youre right looks more like 49%
Appreciate 1
UncleWede11545.00

      01-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #2805
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Youre right looks more like 49%





jk
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 09:36 AM   #2806
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
11545
Rep
8,837
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Sara504 Not looking for pics, but do the same image for yourself without the bra. Do you still see muffins? It looks like your bra is pretty tight, and therefore squishing up the muffin. Maybe go one size larger?

If you are 40%, 1MOREMOD is about 250%. I can't write how high mine would be.
Appreciate 1
Sara4156.00

      01-29-2021, 09:44 AM   #2807
JP10
Captain
JP10's Avatar
1308
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Charleston, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
No no, it's the mornings I can't work out. I've done morning workouts before with girlfriends and I just can't keep up. I have to eat and let the food digest before a workout and I dont have time to eat in the mornings, that early. I remember I was about to faint at the gym during a 4:30 AM workout from not having anything in my stomach and trying to lift weights. That's why I prefer working out in the evenings, when I've had two-three meals in me by that time, but I find I still get tired pretty quickly after 40 minutes.

Haha, you're right I'm not deadlifting anything, period. I just like the instant kick it gives me. I feel like I could lift a car and turn into the hulk for 30 seconds. It's amazing. But man does it stink!


I will look into the amino blend right now!
Oh my bad, misunderstood. If you are adamant on trying to workout in the morning, only thing I can recommend is to eat a granola bar or something light and carb based right when you wake up (at least 30mins prior to working out). Other then that just make sure you are hydrated when you go to sleep the night prior. Rest should just be a mental battle to grind through it lol. I start my mornings with a big glass of water and 8oz of coffee then I'm off to the gym (wouldn't recommend this, a lot of fluid for an empty stomach, but it doesnt bother me fortunately). If you want to take pre-workout just make sure you get something in your stomach first.

Yeah the salt will definitely put a little pep in your step haha, borderline too much.

You can also look up intra-workout blends, they are focused on keeping you going throughout the workout. Similar to the amino-energy blends just without the caffeine.

Also I'd hit up rebekahb in regards to where you can workout after your move. I believe she is in SE Louisiana and quite familiar with the area.
Appreciate 1
Sara4156.00

      01-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #2808
1MOREMOD
-
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
11320
Rep
23,140
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Sara504 Not looking for pics, but do the same image for yourself without the bra. Do you still see muffins? It looks like your bra is pretty tight, and therefore squishing up the muffin. Maybe go one size larger?

If you are 40%, 1MOREMOD is about 250%. I can't write how high mine would be.
Hey! I'm a solid 75 percent
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #2809
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Sara504 Not looking for pics, but do the same image for yourself without the bra. Do you still see muffins? It looks like your bra is pretty tight, and therefore squishing up the muffin. Maybe go one size larger?

If you are 40%, 1MOREMOD is about 250%. I can't write how high mine would be.
The muffin top is not there without a bra you're right, BUT I notice (without a bra) when I'm standing up straight and twist my back, there's this big long line of ...I guess it's fat, that folds over in the skin. I just dont like it. I like the "tighter" fitting bras because my boobs are obviously fake and heavy, so the support of a snugger fitting bra really helps. If my boobs aren't supported by a bra, my chest will ache.

Here's my biggest fret. I know I look great from the front and I'm proud of it. I'm a good looking mom. But the muffin top from behind, it just really really bothers me. (First world problems I know, but I also know there's some way some how to get rid of it)

This photo was taken of me at my firm's summer party and when I saw it, I was soooo embarrassed by the muffin top. I just want to look nice from the front AND the back. And I'm willing to do what it takes!
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #2810
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
7161
Rep
19,369
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Yeah, that doesn't look anywhere near 40% body fat. Weird question, but how much do the implants weigh? Are they more dense than real ones? That could be throwing off the measurement.

Perhaps get a more detailed assessment, maybe something like this:

https://inbodyusa.com/general/what-is-body-composition/

Either way, be careful going too far down the "perfection" path because obviously it can cross the line over to unhealthy. Like I said earlier, especially as you age, it becomes more and more difficult to maintain.

That said, if you really want to continue aging as gracefully as possible, one strategy is to find a competitive fitness activity - I mean one where you are actually participating in competitions - and then train like a competitive athlete does. Of course, if you do this, you're going to look like an athlete too, which might not be exactly what you want. But you'll also be able to build up your physique in ways that someone who is not an "athlete" can't necessarily do in a healthy way, including extremely low body fat.
Appreciate 1
Sara4156.00

      01-29-2021, 11:51 AM   #2811
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Yeah, that doesn't look anywhere near 40% body fat. Weird question, but how much do the implants weigh? Are they more dense than real ones? That could be throwing off the measurement.

Perhaps get a more detailed assessment, maybe something like this:

https://inbodyusa.com/general/what-is-body-composition/

Either way, be careful going too far down the "perfection" path because obviously it can cross the line over to unhealthy. Like I said earlier, especially as you age, it becomes more and more difficult to maintain.

That said, if you really want to continue aging as gracefully as possible, one strategy is to find a competitive fitness activity - I mean one where you are actually participating in competitions - and then train like a competitive athlete does. Of course, if you do this, you're going to look like an athlete too, which might not be exactly what you want. But you'll also be able to build up your physique in ways that someone who is not an "athlete" can't necessarily do in a healthy way, including extremely low body fat.
1.5 lbs each (3 lbs in addition to what I already was). I'd say they are more dense than a regular boob. They're silicone, the "gummy bear" implant. Most boobs, I'd say, are really squishy and flimsy, especially for a women in her thirties and a mother. So I've definitely made improvements there. Trying to preserve my youth as much as possible.

I dont know if this is considered competitive, but I like F45 where it's a group timed activity. I just want to lean out. I'm not going to bulk up because let's be honest it's very hard to do that AND maintain it as a female. My worst fear is letting myself go. I'm my hardest critic.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 01:05 PM   #2812
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
lsturbointeg's Avatar
United_States
8121
Rep
14,398
Posts

Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asian lost in OH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
The muffin top is not there without a bra you're right, BUT I notice (without a bra) when I'm standing up straight and twist my back, there's this big long line of ...I guess it's fat, that folds over in the skin. I just dont like it. I like the "tighter" fitting bras because my boobs are obviously fake and heavy, so the support of a snugger fitting bra really helps. If my boobs aren't supported by a bra, my chest will ache.

Here's my biggest fret. I know I look great from the front and I'm proud of it. I'm a good looking mom. But the muffin top from behind, it just really really bothers me. (First world problems I know, but I also know there's some way some how to get rid of it)

This photo was taken of me at my firm's summer party and when I saw it, I was soooo embarrassed by the muffin top. I just want to look nice from the front AND the back. And I'm willing to do what it takes!
i think you look great! but as far as targeting that part you really can't since when you lose weight it's all over and you can't really target a specific areas.
__________________
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Sara4156.00

      01-29-2021, 02:07 PM   #2813
mkoesel
Moderator
United_States
7161
Rep
19,369
Posts

Drives: No BMW for now
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
1.5 lbs each (3 lbs in addition to what I already was). I'd say they are more dense than a regular boob. They're silicone, the "gummy bear" implant. Most boobs, I'd say, are really squishy and flimsy, especially for a women in her thirties and a mother. So I've definitely made improvements there. Trying to preserve my youth as much as possible.
Got it. It doesn't seem like 3 lb. is significant enough to the cause a noticeably high body fat measurement so its probably worth getting a reading from another source.

Quote:
I dont know if this is considered competitive, but I like F45 where it's a group timed activity. I just want to lean out. I'm not going to bulk up because let's be honest it's very hard to do that AND maintain it as a female. My worst fear is letting myself go. I'm my hardest critic.
Group workouts are certainly important. You'll work harder because of the competitive atmosphere and you'll also have more accountability. I would say 90% of my training is done in a group setting.

To clarify my earlier point though, I am talking about competitive sports of some type. The reason why I like this strategy is because it allows you to pursue goals that are performance based rather than body-image based. In other words, you can focus on achieving a specific result in competition rather than pursuing a physique comprised of specific muscle or fat measurements, or that has some specific aesthetic. The former, in my opinion, is a healthier metric to use when pushing yourself to continuously improve without knowing your ceiling in advance. I really stress that last part. You probably don't know your true physical limitations, so it's important to find a way to test them without setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm not saying you shouldn't track body makeup numbers, you certainly can because those are also very motivating. But, by putting the focus on performance, you eliminate arbitrary goals that might not necessarily be realistic or healthy. So for example, if you like spin, buy a bike and start training for some type of cycling race. Or if you like to run, set out to run a 5K, and go from there. Or maybe you like CrossFit, so you could work toward competing in that. Or adventure racing. Or kayaking. Anything. Of course you want to choose something that you like and that you think you will excel at. If you do this, and if you set goals to reach in competition whether it be competing against your own prior performance, trying to beat a friend or workout partner, or achieving podium finishes in your age/gender group (or maybe even overall), you will, by the very nature of competition, force your body to adapt and grow. And it will take on a highly fit, highly optimized form that you likely would not otherwise be able to achieve.
Appreciate 1
Sara4156.00

      01-29-2021, 08:12 PM   #2814
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Got it. It doesn't seem like 3 lb. is significant enough to the cause a noticeably high body fat measurement so its probably worth getting a reading from another source.



Group workouts are certainly important. You'll work harder because of the competitive atmosphere and you'll also have more accountability. I would say 90% of my training is done in a group setting.

To clarify my earlier point though, I am talking about competitive sports of some type. The reason why I like this strategy is because it allows you to pursue goals that are performance based rather than body-image based. In other words, you can focus on achieving a specific result in competition rather than pursuing a physique comprised of specific muscle or fat measurements, or that has some specific aesthetic. The former, in my opinion, is a healthier metric to use when pushing yourself to continuously improve without knowing your ceiling in advance. I really stress that last part. You probably don't know your true physical limitations, so it's important to find a way to test them without setting yourself up for disappointment.

I'm not saying you shouldn't track body makeup numbers, you certainly can because those are also very motivating. But, by putting the focus on performance, you eliminate arbitrary goals that might not necessarily be realistic or healthy. So for example, if you like spin, buy a bike and start training for some type of cycling race. Or if you like to run, set out to run a 5K, and go from there. Or maybe you like CrossFit, so you could work toward competing in that. Or adventure racing. Or kayaking. Anything. Of course you want to choose something that you like and that you think you will excel at. If you do this, and if you set goals to reach in competition whether it be competing against your own prior performance, trying to beat a friend or workout partner, or achieving podium finishes in your age/gender group (or maybe even overall), you will, by the very nature of competition, force your body to adapt and grow. And it will take on a highly fit, highly optimized form that you likely would not otherwise be able to achieve.
I am wanting to get back into riding and jumping competitively. I haven't shown in 3 years, but maybe I need to bite the bullet and lease a show horse as mine are all pasture puffs. I really excel in a group setting. I can't let others outshine me in the ring and it's something I love doing. Just a little expensive.

I'm definitely not a runner, though I wish I could be. I get bored easily and running doesn't excite me. I have a girlfriend here in DC that runs 10 miles a day. She's insane. I definitely cannot keep up with her. After 3 miles, I tap out. Maybe if I was running from a puma, that would get my heart rate up lol.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7160.50

      01-29-2021, 10:01 PM   #2815
Sara
Lieutenant General
Sara's Avatar
United_States
4156
Rep
17,868
Posts

Drives: A car
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana

iTrader: (6)

I found the perfect body! I want hers
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 10:34 PM   #2816
No one
Captain
474
Rep
940
Posts

Drives: F21 118i
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Undisclosed

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Been dealing with a very tight upper back for almost a year now. Have to constantly roll it out every morning at the gym. Still trying to pinpoint the cause. I feel like I could further improve my posture. Hard to remain focused on keeping my shoulders back all damn day, but I've been doing my best. The tension in my upper back is definitely relieved when squeezing my shoulder blades together. I am at my desk majority of the day which is probably why they feel so tight.
Correct posture seems to be about balance. Keeping the body properly aligned helps to eliminate extra efforts that build the strain. But extra efforts must not be confused with necessary ones: ultimate relaxing builds stress just as well.

To test your posture balance you might wish to use a simple spin jump (like the preliminary exercise here, without any stance, from a simple front standing): can you land back on your feet comfortably? Start with a 90 degrees turn and proceed to 360 (90, 180, 270, 360).

With a back strain it's worth it to look at your abdominals. Opposite muscles should be developed in balance as well. It's not how good your abs are, it's how good they are for your back: if your back is overdone even good abs can be not enough to maintain the correct posture.

And, of course, stretching should not be overlooked either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
On a side note, does anyone else get minorly frustrated when you've seen others in the gym for well over a year now, but they are not making any progress? Not like I know or even talk to them, but I don't understand why they are wasting their time rather then committing to improvement. I mean half the battle is already being accomplished when they are at the gym, so what are they doing at home to prevent themselves from moving forward!?!? Anyways rant over lol, my frustration is for a good cause, but nothing will benefit from it. I don't have the gall to actually tell someone that to their face lol.
What's your concern about others? Do you guide them towards the progress they fail to achieve? Charging money? Achieving progress takes both determination and correct application. That is, they train either not hard enough or ineffectively. Or both. If you think just being at the gym counts look at them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
Anyone have any advice on how to reduce "back fat."
Convert it into muscles. Don't worry, huge muscles aren't easy to build, mind your diet here. Basically, more repetitions, less burden reduce the volume, provide "definition". The most basic exercises for upper back/body are pull ups and push ups. (The latter take no equipment and can be done anywhere anytime!) There are easy versions of both exercises as well, if you like.
Appreciate 2
Sara4156.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST