BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads Connected Drive “Classic” App

03-26-2018, 10:27 AM   #1
rahulred5
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530D M Sport

Connected Drive “Classic” App

First of all apologies for posting this in the wrong forum. I wanted to post in the idrive and infotainment sub forum but created it here by mistake. Mods kindly move it there.

Those of us in less fortunate countries which are not supported by connected drive online have to deal with the old BMW classic connected app.

I remember back in 2015 on a friend’s BMW 320, one could access the full features of connected apps including weather , news and wiki local.

Fast forward to 2018 and my brand new top country spec G30 530D M sport delivered this month can’t do any of the above. When paired with my iPhone 7 and the connected classic app and trying to access Wikipedia or news it returns “server not found”. Three years ago on a basic 3 series in the same country I was able to get both features. The culprit is obviously the app which is not updated. It actually directs you to install the new BMW North America connected app but this obviously is not available in my country.

The classic connected app has an average rating of less than 2 stars and multiple user reviews pointing out its lack of functionality. It’s an absolute wonder how Apple has even allowed this app to be still on the App Store when bmw has not updated it for 3 years plus.

Why does BMW build fantastic cars but hire incompetent app designers who can’t be bothered about their apps outside America and Europe ?

Last edited by rahulred5; 03-26-2018 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Mods - looks like I created this in the wrong forum. Please shift it to the I drive forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Icelandic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 530e M-Sport

I don't know how it works with Iphone's but I got the new app for android through other means than the Google Play store. And it works fine. So if you can get hold of the install files for the iphone it should work
Appreciate 0