BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

04-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Merlin_83
Merlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 6MT w/ZCP

Garage List
2012 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Smile Well that was interesting..

Greetings,

So, I have only begun driving my car after having it parked in the garage for winter. I did drive a few times over the winter, but when the snow and sand was out, it I parked for about 2 months, anyway - so I am still learning about the car and decided to try using the M button on the steering wheel. I have it such that when pressed it configures as Sport Plus, err...crap, I forget the rest, but anyway it was set up to be pretty sporty (sorry not very technical).

I kept that M button on for the entire drive to work (about 20 miles) - and wow ! What a difference ! Not sure how it can so dramatically change the driving characteristics, but it seemed (to me at least ) to really make it go faster and be much, much more responsive too.

Also, I think when I purchased the car from Seattle BMW - the guy said that you can configure the settings within the M button menu, to allow for matched revs on down shifting ? Is that true ? Please keep in mind I have a 6 speed MT along with the ZCP package. Any feedback would be great - these forums are so great btw.

Cheers,
Merlin
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

6MT does not have rev matching. That will be on the new M3/M4 I believe.

And the car is not any quicker with the M button on. You likely had your throttle settings changed so it took less input to give the car more gas.

But, yes, having the suspension stiffer, stiffer steering does make the car "feel" better.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
Atombyte
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 2016 535i, 2019 540i

Garage List
2019 540i  [0.00]
2016 535i  [0.00]
2013 M3  [0.00]
Yeah, there's no rev matching. I have mine set up with throttle at sport (not sport+), and MDM. I keep the steering effort normal. If it's dry, that's the setting I use. Throttle at sport makes it easier for me to rev match when I heel-toe, and I like that MDM allows a little bit of wheel spin. Part of that comes from my old 335 trying to kill me pulling out into traffic and cutting power at the absolute worst time. To me, the standard throttle mapping is too conservative and heel-toeing requires too much throttle input relative to brake pedal travel.
      04-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atombyte
Yeah, there's no rev matching. I have mine set up with throttle at sport (not sport+), and MDM. I keep the steering effort normal. If it's dry, that's the setting I use. Throttle at sport makes it easier for me to rev match when I heel-toe, and I like that MDM allows a little bit of wheel spin. Part of that comes from my old 335 trying to kill me pulling out into traffic and cutting power at the absolute worst time. To me, the standard throttle mapping is too conservative and heel-toeing requires too much throttle input relative to brake pedal travel.
Not really. (Blipping for heel toe). In fact try braking hard as hell coming to a turn on a track and then rev matching with sport throttle. Bet you it over revs. Lol
Appreciate 0