BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board After 33 Years of Shaving...

08-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #67
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Unhappy

Yeah... The thread has definitely taken a far departure from my OP.
      08-27-2019, 01:43 PM   #68
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I got a high end braun electric for a birthday 8-9 years ago and have not used a razor since. I have a semi-thick beard, but I am light haired, so I get away with it easier. On my cheeks - I'd say it is 98% razor close - no joke. My GF at the time said the same thing - we were both shocked. Jawline down - not so much. Still decent if you work at it and way close enough if you have light hair like me, but nothing like a razor with all the contours.

Of course my face is sensitive, especially in the winter when my tan fades and it would make my face red as hell. So a pretty close shave with normal colored skin is better that a little closer shave and a red face.

Then I changed jobs a few years back to a company that is far more laid back. Wear a lot of jeans to work now and I use the electric on my upper cheeks and throat only and then use a iStubble on my face and leave a light stubble all the time unless I have a reason to clean it up a little more. GF loves it and I don't have to mess with it near as much.

Don't miss the razor in the shower each morning at ALL...........
      08-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #69
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Pro tip: if you have a wife or GF, don’t leave your razor in the shower. Unless of course you’re ok with that razor being used to shave legs and other feminine body parts.

I’m sure you’re reading this thinking, oh my wife told me that she’d never do that. Newsflash: women lie.
Appreciate 3
upstatedoc7555.50
King Rudi13152.00
      08-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #70
Kooch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange 6MT

OP: I switched to the double edge safety a couple years back albeit a different brand. I picked up 100 replacement razors for $15 or so from some German company. Works great and cheap relative to anything else I found. Although this past christmas I left the holiday growth and cleaned it up before going back to work. I have had a full beard since. Now only use the razor for the top of the beard on the cheeks and the next. Still works great.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13656.00
      08-27-2019, 02:19 PM   #71
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
Pro tip: if you have a wife or GF, don’t leave your razor in the shower. Unless of course you’re ok with that razor being used to shave legs and other feminine body parts.

I’m sure you’re reading this thinking, oh my wife told me that she’d never do that. Newsflash: women lie.
my ex would take my face razor out of it's holder on the sink and take it into the shower to shave her female parts
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #72
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
OP: I switched to the double edge safety a couple years back albeit a different brand. I picked up 100 replacement razors for $15 or so from some German company. Works great and cheap relative to anything else I found. Although this past christmas I left the holiday growth and cleaned it up before going back to work. I have had a full beard since. Now only use the razor for the top of the beard on the cheeks and the next. Still works great.
Thanks for the reply.
      08-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #73
dougt.ah3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AH3 Msport; F150 XLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I mostly wanted to at least try it out. If after a few attempts, I find it too risky or the shave itself isn't to my liking, the investment was minimal.
I'm going into this with not much hope for the silky shaves I'm used to. But maybe I'll be surprised.
I had asked earlier above, to those of you who do use one, how many shaves in one session?
I had been thinking for some time of switching myself. Your thread prompted me to place my order. This is the method of shaving I learned from my father and used until the disposables came out.

Based on stuff I've read, etc. you should make three passes ... with the grain, across the grain and against the grain, lathering up each time.

Good thinking to purchase various blades to figure out which one(s) work best for you.
2022 K1600B
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      08-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #74
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Welcome to the club.

Merkur 34c
Feather Blades
Proraso shave cream (aka C.O. Bigelow)

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 10:08 PM   #75
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Ahh, frick me I'll bite again. Unless you are dating women with toe fetishes, what are you doing to them with your feet and why do they need to be soft?

I get the hands bit, I truly do. The feet...mmm, not as sure.

But yes, good topic Marcus!
Slicing your girls' ankle open with your sharp toenail is a 100% guaranteed mood killer. Don't ask me how I know this.
Ahahaha! So true! It's not like I even have talons either
      08-27-2019, 11:31 PM   #76
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yeah, a little over a decade of DE.

Merkur Futur razor
Personna Med Prep blades
Wholly Kaw soap or Proraso for travel
Parker Silvertip brush and a boars hair for travel
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 01:48 AM   #77
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Yeah... The thread has definitely taken a far departure from my OP.
I apologize my thread jacking Big M but I couldn't resist to ask

Did ya guys use an after shave lotion before applying after shave perfume or not and just splash it on (like me)?
With aging my skin isn't too sensitive and won't burn after wet shaving unless the razor isn't too dull.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 06:34 AM   #78
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
I'm basically the same. Have a full beard and got tired of overpaying for razors that I only barely needed so I switched. It took a couple of weeks before figuring out how to use the DE without cutting myself, but now, its all I use. I haven't bought blades in several years since a 100 pack lasts forever.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 07:52 AM   #79
NJDJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

I got into shaving with DE razors about 4 years ago. Initially I made the move because I believed it would be less expensive than the cartridge shaving route. HA HA! That turned out to be a laugh. Now I have some fantastic and beautiful razors that were very difficult to get...like man jewelry really. Plus, a collection of handmade brushes and a ton of shaving soaps. It turns out that wetshaving and saving money is like saving money by modding my x5. I will say that this new approach has turned a mundane morning chore into something I look forward to.
Anyway, there are some great forums out there with very helpful information and reviews. Check out the forums on Damn Fine Shave, The Shave Nook, and Badger and Blade.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #80
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Haven't shaved for a while so I got the full beard going on.

When I do shave, I'll give the safety razor a go.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      08-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #81
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
So I just received my variety pack of blades from Amazon pictured here.

I gotta say, 90 blades (2-3 shaves each) for $10 is an extreme value compared with my Gillette disposables!

mind PM'ing me the link? my barber in Turkey uses the Derby blades and i haven't found anything similar to it, and don't want to ask my parents to ship me some blades overseas

also - ordered the OneBlade, let's see how that goes. anyone interested in before/after pics?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:21 AM   #82
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

If y@ll found your best choice outta the whole lot you could donate the rest to the suicide squad...oops, that was dark

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #83
NJDJ
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post
mind PM'ing me the link? my barber in Turkey uses the Derby blades and i haven't found anything similar to it, and don't want to ask my parents to ship me some blades overseas

also - ordered the OneBlade, let's see how that goes. anyone interested in before/after pics?

BTW, there is a website called tryablade that allows you to order single blades so you can try them out before getting a whole pack. They have a good selection and reasonable prices.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #84
FuzzyPeaches
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:

You can get the Derby blades on Amazon, if that's what you really want...
https://smile.amazon.com/Derby-Extra...s%2C143&sr=8-7
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 09:59 AM   #85
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I still remember DECADES ago being in the basement of gpas house(because kids had to use that bathroom). Some special event and I didn't have a razor. Dad and gpa having a discussion about raising kids and gpa told dad "make him use a safety before u go buying him disposables. We all have to lose some blood".
      08-28-2019, 10:04 AM   #86
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Well, that depends on the area being shaved doesn't it. If it is an 'erogenous' area, 100% NOT.

If it is a beard that is worth a pic, then sure.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      08-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #87
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

*UPDATE

So I finally tried it yesterday after getting out of the shower and lathered up my face and neck well with my brush. I used the included so-called Mild Blades included with the Chieftain. After the I itial first stroke on my left cheek starting from my sideburn, I was slightly encouraged. It was definitely a different feel. But definitely not close as I'm used to. I was prepared for at least 2 passes based on video reviews. But my encouragement quickly disappeared once I got to my neck. I used a nice, even, mild pressure, going down from my jaw. Moved the blade over, and did another down pass. I immediately noticed 4 or 5 blood dots appear.
I was like WTF? But I went ahead and did my entire left side including upper lip, cheek and chin. I then decided to use one of my normal new Fusión 5 blade on my right side. I then rinsed and compared closeness. The Fusion after one pass is not only closer but much easier in doing so. After rinsing, my left side was quite irritated on my neck. I haven't felt this since I first began shaving back as a teenager!
Discouraging to say the least. The thing for me is, having to to do at least 2 or 3 passes with the SR vs 1 very quick and smooth pass with my disposable and add in the irritation factor, the decision is clear for me.
On a positive note... I'll keep the brush and shave soap. Both worked well.
Appreciate 2
Joekerr7926.00
King Rudi13152.00
      08-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #88
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Also, thank goodness for my Nivea after shave balm!
Appreciate 0