BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Windshield Scratched

03-10-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Windshield Scratched

Any ideas on how to remove a scratch in windshield. I tried toothpaste, it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #2
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

How deep is it?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #3
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
How deep is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mffarrell View Post
How deep is it?
You can feel it with your naill.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 12:21 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Could it be filled with that clear liquid that is used to fix small chips on the windscreen?(whatever that is called)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 05:38 AM   #5
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Could it be filled with that clear liquid that is used to fix small chips on the windscreen?(whatever that is called)
Quote:
Brand new replacement bmw windshield. I can live with it, if there's a product thst can polish it out, I would try it.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Maybe call Safelite or similar glass repair shop to see how they do it, or maybe simply have them do it. Probably would not cost much. My insurance company once had them fill a significant stone chip to prevent any actual cracking. it was not in my field of vision. Didn't cost me anything; insurance company figured it was much cheaper than a new windshield. They used a technique that placed a suction cup over the spot to create a vacuum and glued it so the glue would flow into the windshield.Not sure exactly how it worked but it was fine for about 8 years when I sold it. --Bob
      03-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Maybe call Safelite or similar glass repair shop to see how they do it, or maybe simply have them do it. Probably would not cost much. My insurance company once had them fill a significant stone chip to prevent any actual cracking. it was not in my field of vision. Didn't cost me anything; insurance company figured it was much cheaper than a new windshield. They used a technique that placed a suction cup over the spot to create a vacuum and glued it so the glue would flow into the windshield.Not sure exactly how it worked but it was fine for about 8 years when I sold it. --Bob
Your insurance likely will cover the Safelite charge.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:26 AM   #8
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Brand new replacement bmw windshield. I can live with it, if there's a product thst can polish it out, I would try it.
Try this and call me in the morning:

https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-12.html

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #9
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Take it to one of places that do windshield repair. They use that resin to fill in chips in the glass. In most cases it makes the cracks disappear.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #10
Nadz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530d

on a slight tangent - I had a few scratches repaired by the dealer and whoever did the job managed to leave a blob of resin on the windscreen (not even close to where the repair was!). Unfortunately it is in my eye line. What is the best way to remove the resin?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Take it to one of places that do windshield repair. They use that resin to fill in chips in the glass. In most cases it makes the cracks disappear.
Always go for the method of least intrusion. The Zaino glass polish really works well and might be all that is needed.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 04:08 PM   #12
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was told not to polish out, heat may crack or make scratch worse. How do you apply this, by hand or orbital polisher.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #13
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was told not to polish out, heat may crack or make scratch worse. How do you apply this, by hand or orbital polisher.
You can obtain great results by hand. And this stuff is not coarse as to put more scratches on the glass.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 04:48 PM   #14
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You can obtain great results by hand. And this stuff is not coarse as to put more scratches on the glass.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I will try it. What kills me is I think bmw service fid this when they washed my car. I can't prove it
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #15
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks I will try it. What kills me is I think bmw service fid this when they washed my car. I can't prove it
That's why I wash my own cars. Dealer jockeys and car wash attendants don't care about your car.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #16
AndreasG
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530e

If you feel it with your nail it's too deep to polish yourself.

You need a scratch remover. It's expensive and need alot of experience to not harm the glass.
It's a special polish machine for glas. It heats up the glass so much that it melts the sharp edges of the scratch and moves the molecules in the glass to make it smooth.

Everyone that delivers glass to windscreen shops have this or should have it. There is scratches in glas all the time in transport and handling. This machine removes them before they are sent out to windscreen shop.

I work with this so I know.

For the interested ones, this is the machine:
https://www.glaswelduk.com/scratch-repair
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #17
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasG View Post

You need a scratch remover. It's expensive and need alot of experience to not harm the glass.
It's a special polish machine for glas. It heats up the glass so much that it melts the sharp edges of the scratch and moves the molecules in the glass to make it smooth.

Everyone that delivers glass to windscreen shops have this or should have it. There is scratches in glas all the time in transport and handling. This machine removes them before they are sent out to windscreen shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasG View Post

I just had glass tabletop delivered, the glass guy said leave it alone. I am going to try polish posted above once my wife goes back to work. Right now only buying food.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #18
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
SAFELITE may be an option. They have methods for chips and scratches. No harm in asking, and insurance would be happy to pay for it as opposed to a new windshield.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #19
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Always go for the method of least intrusion. The Zaino glass polish really works well and might be all that is needed.
Quote:
Quote:
I just ordered, i will keep you posted on results after i get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #20
kczach
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550

Quote:
I just ordered, i will keep you posted on results after i get it.
I had some scratches on my windshield from something imbedded in the squeegee at the gas station. I bought glass polish from Griots garage. I wasn't very aggressive. It made an improvement but didn't eliminate my scratches. Perhaps it needs another round.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #21
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The product is arriving Thursday. Anything special I should know or just follow the directions. Going to try and polish out by hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #22
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The product is arriving Thursday. Anything special I should know or just follow the directions. Going to try and polish out by hand.
Just follow the directions on the bottle. And yes good idea to start by hand.

Hope it works!

Appreciate 0