BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Problems Aftermarket rims for M550ix

03-27-2020, 05:30 AM   #1
Morteng70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5 E60/M6 GC/M550i/M850/M3 Com

Problems Aftermarket rims for M550ix

Hi, considering changing out my 20" Individual rims with some aftermarket but having big problems finding some that will fit with the org spec`s.
My local BMW dealer is "scearing" me that all the spec must be 100% as the org rims or else the "distrubutor box" could be damaged...?
But I see many of you with aftermarket rims...is this a problem?
I currently use 8Jx20"/9Jx20" with minimum ET 30/40...

Grateful for any responds, thanks

Regards

Morten
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
Alluri
India
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 & F16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morteng70 View Post
Hi, considering changing out my 20" Individual rims with some aftermarket but having big problems finding some that will fit with the org spec`s.
My local BMW dealer is "scearing" me that all the spec must be 100% as the org rims or else the "distrubutor box" could be damaged...?

Regards

Morten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morteng70 View Post

Regards

Morten
Go for Rohana wheels they have exactly same specs
      03-31-2020, 12:20 AM   #3
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Aftermarket rims and wider tires are one of the biggest improvements you can make to most cars, especially this one. Dealers always try to abuse customers' trust in them..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Not sure what he's talking about with the "distrubutor box" but I'll assume it's a reference to the transfer case. As long as all wheels are equal diameter or very close then you should be good. The offset could cause rubbing when wheels are turned fully or suspension is fully compressed if the offset is too extreme. However, keep in mind that many people use spacers without problems so you have some flexibility there. Spacers or wheels with more offset than the OEM wheels would potentially cause premature wear of the bearings but I'm talking about negligible changes over 100k miles/kilometers.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
PetieD 7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
Not sure what he's talking about with the "distrubutor box" but I'll assume it's a reference to the transfer case. As long as all wheels are equal diameter or very close then you should be good. The offset could cause rubbing when wheels are turned fully or suspension is fully compressed if the offset is too extreme. However, keep in mind that many people use spacers without problems so you have some flexibility there. Spacers or wheels with more offset than the OEM wheels would potentially cause premature wear of the bearings but I'm talking about negligible changes over 100k miles/kilometers.
Sometime ago, a dealership told me that various aftermarket wheel/tire sizes can potentially impact the xDrive system. Not exactly too sure if that was a pure exaggeration. Right now, I have 20x9 with 255/35/20 (front), and the 20x10 with 285/30/20 (rear) for my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:20 PM   #6
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetieD 7 View Post
Sometime ago, a dealership told me that various aftermarket wheel/tire sizes can potentially impact the xDrive system. Not exactly too sure if that was a pure exaggeration. Right now, I have 20x9 with 255/35/20 (front), and the 20x10 with 285/30/20 (rear) for my vehicle.
I call FUD.

How is xDrive aware of the wheels other than the the diameter of the entire tire and wheel set? If he said it might affect the characteristics of the suspension (more offset or different weight) then I get it. And taller diameters would impact acceleration and braking but I would like to know how xDrive would be aware of a difference between aftermarket and EOM wheels other than changes in diameter.

To clarify, if your dealer was saying xDrive would be negatively affected by putting different diameter sized front and rear then that would make sense but that's not what we're talking about here.

Last edited by Pictor; 03-31-2020 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: To clarify...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:15 PM   #7
speedometer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjackson View Post
Aftermarket rims and wider tires are one of the biggest improvements you can make to most cars, especially this one. Dealers always try to abuse customers' trust in them..
Hey another fellow Torontonian! If I may ask, what do you have on your M550 and where did you get them from?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:36 AM   #8
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp65 View Post
Hey another fellow Torontonian! If I may ask, what do you have on your M550 and where did you get them from?
Hello! I have just taken off my winter set and put on a mismatched set of 4 rear oem wheels with squared 275s for temporary ghetto performance lol. It is very unrecommended if you care about appearance at all!

I ordered a set of Advan GT Premium a while ago from T1 Motorsports in a miracle size that I discovered and should fit perfectly on this car, but it will probably take 2-3 more months to arrive. My patience has been supported by being locked at home anyways hehe.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:45 PM   #9
speedometer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjackson View Post
Hello! I have just taken off my winter set and put on a mismatched set of 4 rear oem wheels with squared 275s for temporary ghetto performance lol. It is very unrecommended if you care about appearance at all!

I ordered a set of Advan GT Premium a while ago from T1 Motorsports in a miracle size that I discovered and should fit perfectly on this car, but it will probably take 2-3 more months to arrive. My patience has been supported by being locked at home anyways hehe.
Ah, great. Thanks so much for this.
Appreciate 0