BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Motor Trend: 2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo S First Test

04-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #23
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ZHP View Post
Exactly.

And one thing Car & Driver doesn't take into consideration is that price is not a factor when it comes to the clientele that buy Porsche's. They have the money to do so and they will sell every last one of them.
So true - the owner of this car probably has multiple other 6 figure cars in their garage.

I initially thought, "I'd rather buy X for $200k." But then that's because I need to prioritize large expenses by omitting other wants. I may be able to leverage myself into a position to get one large ticket items, but I cannot do it for two large ticket items. People buying a $200k commuter (on fire) are not like me.

People can have the Taycan, the Cayenne, and multiple 911s. (GT3 for fun and 911S for daily)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Read the C&D one. They pick the Tesla only because it's a lot cheaper. This chart shows how far behind the Tesla is.
[IMG]https://hips-hearstapps-com.cdn.ampp...1581089637.png[/IMG]

They also skewer the Tesla handling and brakes, while they praise the Porsche's and find there's very little real world range difference.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...s-performance/
I love a good ol' fashion circle jerk of hate as much as the next guy, but just to be clear:

Everyone is high fiving themselves about a a new performance sedan that costs $200,000 beating an eight year old (design) sedan with a performance version that costs $135,000.

I get that they're both electric cars that go fast, but uhhh....
Hardly an eight year old version of it though, the latest release that isn't even a year old. Not my fault they're still using an 8 year old chassis.

I actually like Tesla, we'll probably get a Model Y next, but I won't try to tell anyone that it's as fast as any other car.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #25
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Hardly an eight year old version of it though, the latest release that isn't even a year old. Not my fault they're still using an 8 year old chassis.

I actually like Tesla, we'll probably get a Model Y next, but I won't try to tell anyone that it's as fast as any other car.
The point was that Tesla didn't design that car to be "fast" or to be out there winning 24 hour races.

It just happens to be very fast, so people are comparing it to...well...the only other fast EV sedan.

I just think people are comparing apples to oranges because they're both fruit. That's fine, but the grandstanding is a little funny.
      04-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
Quote:

The point was that Tesla didn't design that car to be "fast" or to be out there winning 24 hour races.

It just happens to be very fast, so people are comparing it to...well...the only other fast EV sedan.

I just think people are comparing apples to oranges because they're both fruit. That's fine, but the grandstanding is a little funny.
I don't see it that way. Lots of people hear that Teslas are fast, but they don't realize the extremely narrow window of opportunity. Fully charged, 45 minute preheat, all of the right modes engaged, and can only do it two or three times. The Porsche is like an ICE car, push the pedal, get the same result, again and again. That's fundamentally different than the Tesla.

If a MacLaren 720s has to be fully fueled, have a heat pump running for 45 minutes and a lot of buttons pushed to do its magic, people would be calling shenanigans on it too.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
MmmmmM22578.00
      04-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #27
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
I don't see it that way. Lots of people hear that Teslas are fast, but they don't realize the extremely narrow window of opportunity. Fully charged, 45 minute preheat, all of the right modes engaged, and can only do it two or three times. The Porsche is like an ICE car, push the pedal, get the same result, again and again. That's fundamentally different than the Tesla.

If a MacLaren 720s has to be fully fueled, have a heat pump running for 45 minutes and a lot of buttons pushed to do its magic, people would be calling shenanigans on it too.
It IS fundamentally different. That was my point. The Tesla is a luxury sedan that goes pretty fast. The Taycan was designed to go fast. It's also $70,000 more expensive. It's not "shenanigans". It's two very different cars.
      04-03-2020, 08:46 PM   #28
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

This thing also randomly burst into flames
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #29
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE