BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Buckled Wheel

08-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

Buckled Wheel

Discovered yesterday that the rear offside wheel on my G31 is buckled. Despite the garage trying to neutralise it you can feel it from 50mph upwards.

The cars got the 20" individual wheels and still has the original factory fitted run-flats on.

Anybody had any luck trying to get BMW to cover it under warranty?

I'm pretty annoyed considering the wheel and tyre are both spotless and to my knowledge haven't hit any major potholes that would cause such damage. To me it seems like the wheels clearly aren't fit for use with run flats if they are going to bend so easily.

Alternatively whats the thoughts on companies offering straightening services?

BMW want £900 for a new wheel which is out of the question.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

How many miles on car? Did it vibrate from New?

Odds are you hit a pothole or curb at some point and don't recall. Or another driver of your car, such as family member, valet, etc...

Is the bend on the inside of the wheel (where you don't see) or the face? If on the inside and not too out of round, a wheel straightening service may be able to improve it.
      08-24-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
McBride
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport +

The cars a year old with 17k.
Ive been thinking something has been off for the last few weeks. Getting it to the garage yesterday confirmed my suspicion.

Looking at the wheel you can't actually see any damage its only when its spun the damage/wobble becomes apparent. Theres no damage to the wheel face of the tyre and with it being offside it will rarely be anywhere near a kerb.

I am the only person to drive the car since new. Aside from last week when it was serviced, but as I say I believe the problem has been present a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Get a wheel repair shop with good reviews to straighten it for you, it will ride like new except it won't be as durable on the spot(s) that are repaired so it will bend again if you hit a huge pothole on the same spot which is just really unlucky. It should only cost $100-150 compared to replacing the entire wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:52 PM   #5
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

This is interesting. What tires are you running? I popped two Goodyear Asymmetric F1 runflats on potholes (20 inch wheels), without any wheel damage whatsoever (and subsequently switched to Michelin PS3 ZPs). I cannot imagine damaging a 20 inch wheel without also damaging a runflat tire. I had a damaged 19 inch wheel repaired on my M4 (PS4S non-runflat tire), and never had another problem with it. I would suggest trying that, but I still wonder how the wheel got damaged without runflat tire damage.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjackson View Post
Get a wheel repair shop with good reviews to straighten it for you, it will ride like new except it won't be as durable on the spot(s) that are repaired so it will bend again if you hit a huge pothole on the same spot which is just really unlucky. It should only cost $100-150 compared to replacing the entire wheel.
Wheel refinishing is $100-150. Straightening, truly straightening, is more like half the cost of a new wheel.
      08-29-2019, 10:29 PM   #7
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Quote:
Wheel refinishing is $100-150. Straightening, truly straightening, is more like half the cost of a new wheel.
I'm not sure what truly straightening is but my wheel was super bent from hitting three deep potholes lined up together. The lip was visibly bent and also inner barrel but I went to a shop to check if they can fix it. They checked and said they could straighten it. They called me to pick up on the same day and I've been using the wheel with no vibration at all for almost half a year now. That was my experience with my first bent rim and it did indeed cost $130 Canadian dollars
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:06 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what truly straightening is but my wheel was super bent from hitting three deep potholes lined up together. The lip was visibly bent and also inner barrel but I went to a shop to check if they can fix it. They checked and said they could straighten it. They called me to pick up on the same day and I've been using the wheel with no vibration at all for almost half a year now. That was my experience with my first bent rim and it did indeed cost $130 Canadian dollars
Did they refinish the visible face of the wheel where it was bent? Or only the inside lip was bent? Either way, you did good.
      08-29-2019, 11:12 PM   #9
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Did they refinish the visible face of the wheel where it was bent? Or only the inside lip was bent? Either way, you did good.
There was a visible burn mark on the outer lip's small bent part after they straightened it because they could only refinish the entire rim or no part at all. Luckily it's barely noticeable since the rim itself is dark grey. Hopefully the OP only bent an inner part of the rim!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 11:40 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There was a visible burn mark on the outer lip's small bent part after they straightened it because they could only refinish the entire rim or no part at all. Luckily it's barely noticeable since the rim itself is dark grey. Hopefully the OP only bent an inner part of the rim!
OP has 20" presumably the 759i wheels. The lip is diamond cut and powder coat finish. Not an easy repair.