BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Full Adaptive ICON LED lights decoded for the US?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2020, 09:52 PM   #67
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
555
Rep
771
Posts

Drives: 2020 530e
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Can you share what you coded to get the rear fogs working (exactly)? I have the front/rear fogs-capable switch arriving next week.

If Almaretto already knows, then don't worry. When he gets back online, I'll be asking him to code my car. (no - I don't expect you to be able to read his mind, but I'm not sure if he has shared what he knows/doesn't know).
So unlike the F-Series where you could enable the rear fogs with a few codes, the only way I found to enable them on the G-Series is to modify your FA so that E-Sys will code the BDC_Body module as a ECE version. This will not have any negative effect on the other functions, but will change the light pattern on the taillights, thereby enabling the rear fog lights. You would most likely need to change a few FDL codes back to US settings, but it wasnít too challenging.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:04 AM   #68
Frozen Fractals
Second Lieutenant
United_States
35
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2018 G30 540iX M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
No, I didn't actually copy the changes, I just changed my VO to the ECE version of the car and coded the FLM, BDC, and Kafas to the ECE version (which is also how I got the rear fog lights working). Thus, why I think it might be hardware-related, but without actually seeing the coding or talking with someone who had it done the almaretto way, I can't say for sure.
Hmm...that settles the curiosity I had w.r.t coding ECE KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2 to ECE. If you coded KAFAS4, BDC_BODY2 and both FLMs to ECE spec, then I cannot see why the proper shadow boxing for NGHB wouldn't work. Doing the above basically mimics an ECE car. Either, 1.) physical HW is missing b/t ECE and US headlights to create the proper shadow boxing or 2.) there may be other modules that need to be coded?

I did find this YouTube video where someone coded HU_NBT2 along with KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2. Wonder if HU_NBT2 requires coding to ECE too?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #69
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
555
Rep
771
Posts

Drives: 2020 530e
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Hmm...that settles the curiosity I had w.r.t coding ECE KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2 to ECE. If you coded KAFAS4, BDC_BODY2 and both FLMs to ECE spec, then I cannot see why the proper shadow boxing for NGHB wouldn't work. Doing the above basically mimics an ECE car. Either, 1.) physical HW is missing b/t ECE and US headlights to create the proper shadow boxing or 2.) there may be other modules that need to be coded?

I did find this YouTube video where someone coded HU_NBT2 along with KAFAS4 and BDC_BODY2. Wonder if HU_NBT2 requires coding to ECE too?
I definitely recommend not doing that!!! When I did it with my X3, I ended up having to pay to get navigation and such working again because changing the headunit to ECE messed up my FSC files and caused several other issues. That and the ACSM are the two I did not code to ECE, but the rest of the car didnít have any issues.

In that video, they are doing the removal of 5AP, but arenít changing the country code. The change that makes in the headunit is that the owners manual and animated video will show the NGHB video/info, instead of the basic on/off functionality. Although, I notice they didnít code the FLM modules...

I believe like you said that there is very likely a hardware difference. Almarettos coding with the changes he makes might overcome some of those differences that simple VO coding doesnít correct, but without an actual comparison, thereís no way to know for sure. Thereís always the option of getting a pair of used euro lights, which can be had for around $1800, but if I was going to spend that much, Iíd wait for a pair of the euro M550i laserlights that we donít get in the US
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:24 AM   #70
rmal
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: E60 550i, G20 330xi, G30 M550i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
PM Sent. Please do not make this a Request details thread. Feel free to PM me directly with questions.

List in Profile.

For remote coding, you would need
  • ENET Cable (Ebay or Amazon)
  • Computer with Windows 7-10 (Native or Bootcamp)
  • Wifi From vehicle
  • Provided E-sys
  • Teamviewer Remote software
Do you have links as to what to buy and from where?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #71
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
555
Rep
771
Posts

Drives: 2020 530e
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmal View Post
Do you have links as to what to buy and from where?
You can find the software information on the forums, as long as you have a decent laptop that can run it you should be fine. As for the cable, you can find that for around $15-$20 on Amazon
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #72
Frozen Fractals
Second Lieutenant
United_States
35
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2018 G30 540iX M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Btw, roxxor, did you every get proper shadow-boxing for GFHB/NGHB to work properly on your G30?

Right now my conclusion is either:
1.) Missing LED diodes (or other HW)
2.) Requires manual FDL coding of FLM, KAFAS or BDC
__________________
2018 G30 540i xDrive M Sport | Carbon Black Metallic | KW V3 | 20" Style 759i | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S | M-Sport Brakes | Ivory White Dakota | Grey Poplar | Executive Package | Bowers & Wilkins Diamond | Ceramic Controls | FormulaOne Stratos 15 | Remus Axle-Back with Quad Tips | Resonator Delete | bootmod3 Stage 1 E30
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #73
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
555
Rep
771
Posts

Drives: 2020 530e
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

No I have not. The removing of the decoding options works ok-ish, but definitely not the correct tunnels. I tried yesterday coding the FLM to euro-spec, and it actually made the glare on the high beams worse than using just the US coding.

Iím torn between 3 options at the moment:
1 - Pay for the proper coding and see how much of a difference that makes
2 - Order a set of used Euro Adaptive LED for around $1100 (price has come down recently) to get the right hardware
3 (and my ideal choice) - Order a set of Euro Laser Lights and retrofit those, but the killer here is the price tag of around $6k

From what Iíve heard though the US lights are most likely missing hardware unfortunately.

Last edited by roxxor; 05-18-2020 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:17 AM   #74
Frozen Fractals
Second Lieutenant
United_States
35
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2018 G30 540iX M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
No I have not. The removing of the decoding options works ok-ish, but definitely not the correct tunnels. I tried yesterday coding the FLM to euro-spec, and it actually made the glare on the high beams worse than using just the US coding.

Iím torn between 3 options at the moment:
1 - Pay for the proper coding and see how much of a difference that makes
2 - Order a set of used Euro Adaptive LED for around $1100 (price has come down recently) to get the right hardware
3 (and my ideal choice) - Order a set of Euro Laser Lights and retrofit those, but the killer here is the price tag of around $6k

From what Iíve heard though the US lights are most likely missing hardware unfortunately.
Haha, yeah I've been eyeing those Laser Lights. I might just wait for the LCI to drop...perhaps by then we'll get cheaper Pre-LCI headlights? Or can also update to LCI if I get bored of my Pre-LCI setup...unsure of the LCI though

So, you are saying removing 5AP from VO and then coding BDC, KAFAS and FLM WITHOUT ECE coding the FLM yielded GFHB/NGHB better functionality versus doing the above, but ECE coding the FLMs?

Hmm...I haven't tried that combination yet.

Also, do you know of any coders that guarantee GFHB/NGHB functionality? If they charge ~$100 to perform it, it might be worthwhile just to bury the hatchet on whether we are missing HW or not!
__________________
2018 G30 540i xDrive M Sport | Carbon Black Metallic | KW V3 | 20" Style 759i | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S | M-Sport Brakes | Ivory White Dakota | Grey Poplar | Executive Package | Bowers & Wilkins Diamond | Ceramic Controls | FormulaOne Stratos 15 | Remus Axle-Back with Quad Tips | Resonator Delete | bootmod3 Stage 1 E30
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #75
roxxor
Captain
roxxor's Avatar
555
Rep
771
Posts

Drives: 2020 530e
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Florida

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Fractals View Post
Haha, yeah I've been eyeing those Laser Lights. I might just wait for the LCI to drop...perhaps by then we'll get cheaper Pre-LCI headlights? Or can also update to LCI if I get bored of my Pre-LCI setup...unsure of the LCI though

So, you are saying removing 5AP from VO and then coding BDC, KAFAS and FLM WITHOUT ECE coding the FLM yielded GFHB/NGHB better functionality versus doing the above, but ECE coding the FLMs?

Hmm...I haven't tried that combination yet.

Also, do you know of any coders that guarantee GFHB/NGHB functionality? If they charge ~$100 to perform it, it might be worthwhile just to bury the hatchet on whether we are missing HW or not!
Yeah I had also thought about doing an LCI conversion once it comes out, but that would involve the bumper and a bunch of under-parts/ducts etc. It kills me that the G12, G05/G07, and G20 Laser Lights are all over auction sites for around the same price as the G30 ICON LEDs.

And oddly enough, I did a before and after comparison of all modules when removing 5AP and 8S4, and the FLMs did not change at all, meaning there were no coding changes related to the decoding in those modules. So in essence, all that needed to be done was to remove those 2 options and VO code the KAFAS and BDC. And yes, the function seemed to work better with US coding in the FLM modules. It gave more of the /\___/\ tunnel than with the ECE coding in the FLM, which I noticed caused a lot more glare on the back of the car in front of me. With the US coding, there was very minimal glare.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:59 PM   #76
Frozen Fractals
Second Lieutenant
United_States
35
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2018 G30 540iX M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Yeah I had also thought about doing an LCI conversion once it comes out, but that would involve the bumper and a bunch of under-parts/ducts etc. It kills me that the G12, G05/G07, and G20 Laser Lights are all over auction sites for around the same price as the G30 ICON LEDs.

And oddly enough, I did a before and after comparison of all modules when removing 5AP and 8S4, and the FLMs did not change at all, meaning there were no coding changes related to the decoding in those modules. So in essence, all that needed to be done was to remove those 2 options and VO code the KAFAS and BDC. And yes, the function seemed to work better with US coding in the FLM modules. It gave more of the /\___/\ tunnel than with the ECE coding in the FLM, which I noticed caused a lot more glare on the back of the car in front of me. With the US coding, there was very minimal glare.
Interesting! I will definitely try it then... just remove 5AP/8S4 and VO code BDC and KAFAS while leaving both FLMs untouched.
__________________
2018 G30 540i xDrive M Sport | Carbon Black Metallic | KW V3 | 20" Style 759i | Michelin Pilot Sport 4S | M-Sport Brakes | Ivory White Dakota | Grey Poplar | Executive Package | Bowers & Wilkins Diamond | Ceramic Controls | FormulaOne Stratos 15 | Remus Axle-Back with Quad Tips | Resonator Delete | bootmod3 Stage 1 E30
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST