BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Active lane control assistant and automatic lane changes?

11-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #67
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
The active lane changing I suspect may be down to local regs not being approved. Believe it only got approved for July builds onwards here in the UK.
Hmmm - so for us poor folk with builds prior to that - can this be a simple update bmw apply and we’ll get it?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #68
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

As the hardware is present it would suggest it is just down to software in which case it should be possible.

However whether bmw have will to update existing cars is another thing. Regulations or type approval may get in the way. All you can do is ask and press for it to be escalated to w uk technical if no joy.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 01:51 PM   #69
Velgro77
Rep
Drives: 540d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe2017 View Post
Is this approved for Sweden yet, MatbI ? If so we should be able to get it activated. I have a new sw on my car but that didn't activate it so has to be locked similar to Remote 3D etc.
The Lane Change assist works in my car, production early July. I havent checked what SW I have though, can do that tomorrow. I live in Sweden like you guys so what your dealers / service centers are telling you, that its not allowed yet, is bulls**t I’m afraid.

Just came back from a 3000km drive this week from Poland and Germany and it seemed to work in Germany as well, never got a chance to try it in Poland though.

In Sweden it only works on highways though, not the 2-1 roads.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 08:31 AM   #70
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

JohnDoe, thanks. That will be very helpful.

Velgro77: Thanks! And you can confirm the indication looks like it does in the posted video?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #71
JohnDoe2017
Rep
Drives: BMW G31

Velgro77. Spoke to the dealer today and they keep claiming that It is not allowed in Sweden and that some cars in July slipped and can use it. Same as for the remote 3D that works for some and is removed on others due to regulatory rules.

Mercedes is not allowed to use their their lane change function in Sweden (I have friends working in MB who confirmed this). I tried a e220 in Sweden that had it.

Tesla not allowed their in Sweden.

I'm ok having to wait till approval as long as it can be enabled. Also if I go to Germany I would have liked that it would work.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 01:10 PM   #72
Velgro77
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post

Velgro77: Thanks! And you can confirm the indication looks like it does in the posted video?
I will have to check about the indication and get back to you on that, never paid any attention to what it looks like. Honestly its not a function I use at all, just tried it a couple of times and as someone previously in this thread wrote, the car does the lane change a bit to fast for my taste.

I did have a Merc e 220d for a few days which had this function and it actually worked as well, in Sweden. It was a Sixt rental car but that shouldn’t make a difference I guess. I don’t know what the regulation says but it just sounded like something they would say in lack of a better answer. Shouldn’t be to difficult to check up on though. Anyway, I hope they solve it for you asap!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #73
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep

JohnDoe, Tesla's is activated in sweden. At least on the ones I've driven on several occasion and I haven't heard anything else either. I had a Tesla myself for three years but it was too old for the autopilot stuff.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #74
Velgro77
Rep

Quote:

Matbl: I checked today and the indication looks like it does in the video. Since I drove 300km with the assistant turned on today, on the E4, I checked the functionality a bit more. This is actually the first time I really used this driving assistant and it worked perfectly the whole time this morning. Traffic was sparse and the weather condition quite foggy this morning. On my way southbound again I had really low sunlight and the assistant wouldn’t work, it kept loosing its vision I guess and disconnected.

I noticed that as long as the wheel is indicated green, the change lane assistant worked. After about 5 seconds the wheel turns yellow and then the lane change assistant will not work. You don’t however need to keep the hand on the wheel to make this lane change.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 03:05 AM   #75
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velgro77 View Post
Matbl: I checked today and the indication looks like it does in the video. Since I drove 300km with the assistant turned on today, on the E4, I checked the functionality a bit more. This is actually the first time I really used this driving assistant and it worked perfectly the whole time this morning. Traffic was sparse and the weather condition quite foggy this morning. On my way southbound again I had really low sunlight and the assistant wouldn’t work, it kept loosing its vision I guess and disconnected.

I noticed that as long as the wheel is indicated green, the change lane assistant worked. After about 5 seconds the wheel turns yellow and then the lane change assistant will not work. You don’t however need to keep the hand on the wheel to make this lane change.
Thanks.
Do you know when your car was built?
If not, when was it delivered?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #76
Velgro77
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.
Do you know when your car was built?
If not, when was it delivered?
It was built 20170703 but wasn’t delivered until late August.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #77
AP
Major General
Rep

I wonder if it was the build week before it was enabled at least for uk cars or it was actually a last week in June build?
The info about the July builds I got from the bmw genius ,my car was the second bulls week with it enabled.
Anyway hope bmw can sort it for you
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 02:22 PM   #78
Simpaty
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d sedan F30

Hello there,

I might have a similar issue.
I am from Belgium, just got my new G01 X3 (Build date November 2017), and when trying to change lane with the blinker, the lane keep assist turns off.
Anyone from Belgium can confirm this works for them?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #79
Simpaty
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d sedan F30

for those of you who have this functionality, I am looking for a way to code it.
Please help me out in the thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?t=1258532

would need CAFD files so that I can compare mine and see what needs to be coded to activate this (hopefully this can be coded).

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #80
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

I had it work once .. and then haven't been able to replicate it since. Every time I push the indicator stalk the green edge of the road icon turns grey (which I assume means the lane assist is cancelled) and the lane change then doesn't work. Read since that you need to be above 70 km/h so perhaps that was the issue . Haven'd had the car for long yet - more experimentation is needed.

Last edited by DBO; 04-09-2018 at 03:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #81
M550ix
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive

Not Auto Lane Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
I had it work once .. and then haven't been able to replicate it since. Every time I push the indicator stalk the green edge of the road icon turns grey (which I assume means the lane assist is cancelled) and the lane change then doesn't work. Read since that you need to be above 70 km/h so perhaps that was the issue . Haven'd had the car for long yet - more experimentation is needed.
Have read a number of posts starting way back to 2011 most seem to be from EMEA and my car is a US model so laws and features may differ however it clearly states in my US owners manual that the "Steering and Lane Control Assist" feature is interrupted automatically when the turn signal is on.

Interrupting automatically

The system is automatically interrupted in the following situations:

At a speed above 130 mph/210 km/h.

When the steering wheel is released.

When you manipulate steering.

When you leave your own lane.

When the turn signal is on.

When the lane is too narrow.

If for a particular time no lane marking is detected and there is no vehicle driving in front.

I am unable to find anything in the US manual relating to autonomous or automatic lane changing capability.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #82
AP
Major General
Rep

Probably a different manual to Europe. In the U.K. it is listed which I suspect caused some confusion as it was only enabled from July builds onwards last year. I suspect it was intended to enabled from day 1 but regulations got in the way and was delayed until July. It doesn't appear to be EU wide either as we are seeing people here report it not working.

As far as I know (and please chip in)

U.K. works (July 2017+)
Sweden does not work
Belgium does not work
Germany?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #83
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I've just sent a message to the Genius hotline so they can check and confirm whether the system is enabled for our local market. My user guide definitely mentions the feature is available.

Apart from that I'm having issues with the Steering Assist in general. It seems to drift out of the lane (to the left) occasionally, even when all other indications are green. It then triggers the lane departure system which drags you back in. Something is definitely not working right on my car I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:40 AM   #84
AP
Major General
Rep

I assume the windscreen is clean in front of the cameras? I don't think the wipers wipe the glass in front of them??

I've not seen that behaviours myself although the system has a bias to be in the left side of the lane rather than central. Turns offs can throw it as well as it often picks up on he thick road marking and choose that although a gentle tug to keep in lane is all that is required.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #85
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I assume the windscreen is clean in front of the cameras? I don't think the wipers wipe the glass in front of them??

I've not seen that behaviours myself although the system has a bias to be in the left side of the lane rather than central. Turns offs can throw it as well as it often picks up on he thick road marking and choose that although a gentle tug to keep in lane is all that is required.
Yes, everything is clean. Our number plates are a tad higher than the mounting on the front which means they impede a little on the underlying radar sensor location - I was initially worried that it could be cause of some of these issues. I'm hearing from a few people now that the bias tends to be towards the left. Perhaps it's just the way it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #86
chrisfox75
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i xDrive

Tried this today on my 2019 m550i and did not work, i am going to dig deeper into seeing if there is more then these 2 options to code, i know on the G20 which is a different car there is a whole bunch of options to code to get this to work, and as i saw before my owners manual does have the lane change assist information on page 210 and 211 telling you how to use the feature. Simply stated when i initate the turn signal it disengages the steering assist function turns it grey.

CODING :
C:\Data\CAF\CAFD_00001C7A_002_240_003.ncd
SAS10
C_SWA_Vorhanden -> True

C:\Data\CAF\CAFD_00001EF6_006_028_018.ncd
HU_NBT_EVO
Spurwechselassistent -> Aktiv

Can anyone chime in if they got it to work besides Simpaty and if anyone has more information on it?

Im coding with Esys 3.3.3 and EsysX, coding completed fine and verified the options are indeed changed.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #87
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Despite many months of trying different coding, including coding certain modules in the car as ECE, I was never able to get it working on my X3. Although from what I hear it is also dependent on what type of road you are on.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:35 AM   #88
AP
Major General
Rep

Yes it needs lane markings for this to operate ie motorways.
Appreciate 0