BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads Project Forty Six & 2: An Exercise in Self-Indulgence and F***ery

01-11-2024, 06:31 PM   #1
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Project Forty Six & 2: An Exercise in Self-Indulgence and F***ery

Finally getting around to starting my build. I'm dubbing it "Forty Six & 2."

But first, some boring background: For those that aren't familiar it, "Forty Six & 2" is a song by my favorite band that is about personal growth. The title refers to the fact that there are 46 chromosomes in the human genome. Having two more is a metaphor for humanity's next evolutionary advancement. Applying the metaphor to one's self, it's about personal evolution and improvement; always be better today than you were yesterday. I'm applying this idea to the car, as well. Make it better today than it was yesterday.

(It's only fair to admit I'm not especially good at the whole "personal growth" thing in practice. I want to be, though, and I guess that's not nothing. )

Aannyhoo...

This is my 2018 540ix in Dark Graphite Metallic with Cognac interior I picked up in July. I've never done carbon fiber on anything I've owned, but (in addition to the other stuff) I think I'm going to do quite a bit of it on this one because... reasons. Shut up. You're not the boss of me.

I'll do my best to create an individual review thread for each item I install, especially for some of the less common parts/manufacturers.

Here's the plan...

Planned (in no particular order)
===================================

Brushed platinum (or close alternative) badging and letters.
BM3 Stage 0/1/2 Tune (selectable on steering wheel)
Intake (May just remove the resonator)
Upgrade the Harman Kardon stereo. It's so bad!

Maybe Planned

M style mirror Covers
CF fender Vents
CF grill
CF roof antenna cover
Transmission tune (Any recommendations?)
Wheel stud conversion

Purchased

Aero
---RW Carbon EC style CF rear diffuser
---Carbon Fiber Rear Bumper Splitter Winglets (to finish off the side skirt esthetic to the rear of the car.
Head/Taillights/Reflectors
---Vivvid vinyl Super Light Smoke vinyl for head/tail lights and reflectors
---Body color eyebrows
---Laminex yellow overlays for the fog lights.
Suspension
---MSS lowering springs
Exhaust
---Remus axle back exhaust - backorder
---Turner Motorsports brushed stainless exhaust tips
---Active Autowerke 4.5" 400 cell catted downpipe

Installed/Completed

Wheels, Tires, and Brakes
---Forza Performance A78 style wheels (Vossen ML-X3) in custom "Transparent Brushed Platinum" finish (20x9 et30 and 20x10.5 et40)
---Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus (255/35r20 + 295/30r20) - awaiting deliver of replacement for bad tire.
---Ceramic coat wheels
---M Sport brakes
Aero
---Monaco Motorsports CF M Performance front lip
---Monaco Motorsports CF side skirts
---RW Carbon EC style CF rear diffuser
---Suvneer (from ECS Tuning) M Performance CF trunk spoiler
---Amazon CF roof spoiler
Other Esthetics
---Decorative "Euro" front license plate
---Window Tint (70% Windshield / 50% Front / 35% Rear)

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 03-14-2024 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 3
Junebug851589.00
jphcbpa299.50
slack12.00
      01-12-2024, 11:14 AM   #2
X25ARN
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i X Drive

Good luck on the build. Looking forward to seeing the progress on this
Appreciate 1
tjbuggy2b148.50
      01-13-2024, 05:31 PM   #3
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Look forward to seeing the build progress and the transformation

G30 540i xDrive / BM3 Stage 2+ / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / MPS4S / 20" BBS CI-R / Eibach Spacers / xHP Stg 3 / MST Intake / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
tjbuggy2b148.50
      02-04-2024, 08:51 AM   #4
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got my tint done a few weeks ago. Weather has been crappy. So, just now got pics up. Personally not a fan of super dark windows. I've always gotten this medium dark install. Wicked reflections on the windows because it was midday. So, the difference is hard to see but it's really good.

Windshield: 70%
Front windows: 50%
Rear windows: 35%

Hoping to get the front lip and side skirts on today. Rear diffuser install will go on when my exhaust gets here.

Tires are getting mounted on my wheels next week but won't be going on the car until I get the lowering springs installed.

Before tint...

After tint...

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 10:09 AM   #5
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, tires came in last week. Went to have them mounted and one of them won't balance. On the road force balancer, they could only get it to 24lbs, which I understand is like twice the maximum allowance. Tire Rack was very helpful, though. Basically no effort on my part. Left the wheel and tire at the shop. Tire Rack will deliver the new tire AND pick up the bad one. Should be done next week, though I'm still a ways off from installing them on the car. Want to do the brakes and springs, first.

Which, BTW, decided to do the M Sport brake upgrade! I have a bad pulsation in my brakes, especially at highway speeds. I finally took a moment to look at my rotors and all but one of them is pretty heavily grooved. The fourth one is beautiful, though. I've never seen a more perfect wear pattern before. Tells me that the dealer replaced that rotor/pads for some reason. I've had my suspicions that this car has taken a curb to the right front corner since I bought it, based on some other things. So, I'm guessing this might be related.

Anyway, in an attempt to mitigate pulsations issues that seem to be a bit prevalent on this platform (and to appease my irrational need to upgrade things), I'm going with some used M Sport brakes and slotted rotors from Brakenetic. Still trying to figure out what pads I want to use, though. Having a hard time finding reliable part numbers for Red Stuff pads for the M Sport brakes. However, Brakenetic has low dust pad options but they haven't replied to me about those yet. There is also the Brembo pads that I need to look into.

Lastly, also attempted to install the front lip last weekend but was not happy with the mounting hardware situation. So, I'm experimenting with that. I'll do a write up in a separate thread, if I get a positive outcome from that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 03:59 PM   #6
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Installed my Monaco Motorsport M Performance CF front lip and side skirts, last weekend.

See here for a review of the front lip. and here for a review of the side skirts.

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 02-14-2024 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
slack12.00
      03-14-2024, 05:05 PM   #7
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Since the last picture, I've installed my used M Sport brakes, trunk and roof spoilers, purchased my downpipe, attempted to install my MSS springs, and installed my wheels,

Apologies. I don't have any pics of the car with the wheels, brakes, and spoilers, yet. Weather hasn't been super cooperative with my schedule. Also, my car is filthy because I'm trying not to exacerbate some paint peel that is starting on the roof's leading edge until I can figure what I'm going to do about that. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

The springs are a long story that I won't get into here but If you are interested, this is my thread on the issue. Not all of the details are in it, but you can get an idea of what's up. I still may have an out with that ordeal, though. I'm working with ECS Tuning to try to get diameter measurements on Bilstein B8 struts, which (per an email response from Bilstein) are meant to go with 30mm lowering springs. Additionally, there is a chance that I didn't realize something about problem area of the OEM struts. That's in that thread., too.

I also installed my new wheels, yesterday. I was trying to wait until I got the car lowered but... you know, that whole thing about the springs. Since, I may have to go with KW coilovers, instead, I decided to go ahead and mount the wheels to get a look at how much lower I can go than the MSS springs. The MSS springs are 0-1.2", and the KW's are 1.2-2.2". I wasn't sure if starting at 1.2" would work with my wheel specs, since I went a little on the aggressive side. Looks like it should be fine, though.

Anyway, Moving on. Because I wanted to go with a 400 cell cat, and under recommendation from Extreme Powerhouse for higher quality and no CEL, I went with the Active Autowerke DP. I'm ok with losing a couple horsepower in the interest of a less smelly and (maybe) longer life cat. I'm not going for HP records, here. Besides, if anything, I *may* gain horsepower with the AA cat over some others, as they are claiming 53 and 94 HP increase with stage 1 and stage 2 tunes, respectively. Typically, these kinds of claims aren't backed by any public evidence, though. So, who knows. Not much of a chance I get it dynoed. I just never really worry about what numbers I get. So, I'll probably never know if it gets more power.

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 03-14-2024 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 05:10 PM   #8
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh, I also ordered these off of eBay. I'm hoping they will finish off the side skirt look to the end of the rear bumper. Hope they work because they are bit pricey for what they are. They won't be here for a couple months. They're not stocked in the US, direct from China, only.

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 03-14-2024 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:22 AM   #9
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Haven't hear back from ECS on the Bilstein B8 strut body diameter, but I did find some info on an e92 setup that has made me confident enough to take a chance. B8's have been ordered. Will take a week or two to get here.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 01:21 PM   #10
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Looking good ! Keep up the work and updates.........

" My Shadow's shedding skin, and I've been picking scabs again..........."
      03-16-2024, 02:38 PM   #11
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Something to watch in between projects and upgrades.
      03-16-2024, 02:39 PM   #12
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Something to watch in between projects and upgrades.
      03-16-2024, 04:09 PM   #13
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh, yeah! Love her. Haven't seen much of her lately. Check out John Kew (sp?) doing several Tool covers, especially Rosetta Stoned. He's really good!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 12:25 PM   #14
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here are some pics after installing brakes, spoilers, and wheels. Still sorting out the suspension debacle. This pics aren't very good. I'm going to take some more. High contrast lighting with a cell phone, even as good as the Pixels are at photo correction, just doesn't work. I tried to touch them in a photo editor but this was the best I could manage, with my novice ways.

I'll do a separate review of each of them later, if I haven't already done so.

Trunk Spoiler is the Monaco Motorsports Carbon Fiber M5 Trunk Spoiler

Roof spoiler is an Amazon special, styled like the trunk spoiler.

Brakes are used M Sports

Wheels are Vossen M-X3 with custom finish I think of as "Brushed Transparent Bright Titanium Pewter" in 20x9 et30 and 20x10.5 et40.

Last edited by tjbuggy2b; 03-17-2024 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
Alscoob2018.00
      03-17-2024, 12:29 PM   #15
tjbuggy2b
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh, and immediately after taking these pics I noticed the roof spoiler was lifted on the left side. A moderate amount of pressure and it came right off. Guess that tape the sent with it was pretty much garbage. I'm going to try it again with some slightly thicker 3M tape, since it does seem that the spoiler doesn't exactly match the curve of the rear window. Hoping the slightly thicker tape with make up the discrepency.
Appreciate 0