BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2018 M550 Engine Replacement

05-11-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
BigTim
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4C Conv

2018 M550 Engine Replacement

Hey all,

Long time lurker of the forum, always appreciate the info. Finally have something post worthy and its unfortunately bad news.

Looking for some general guidance here. Brought my 550 into the dealership this morning due to some uncomfortable clicking/tapping noises coming from the engine bay most audibly at cold start and a drivetrain malfunction error that was happening just about every time I got on the highway in the past week. I'm 6-7 months into the lease and am barely past 1600 babied miles without a single attempt at even trying launch control yet and was just told that the issue was serious enough that the engine needs to be replaced in its entirety.

They stated they'd be calling back hopefully by end of day regarding replacement engine availability and the results of the final tests, but assuming the engine does in fact need replacing, has anyone been through a similar situation? Is there any chance at the car being replaced instead or am I just looking at a long repair? Also assuming the shipping and repair would take weeks, do I have any standing to at the very least request something a little nicer than the standard loaner?

Appreciate any and all feedback. Would love to just be better informed/prepared for when they do call back.

Thanks,
Tim
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

As long as they give you a new engine, and not a reconditioned or used one, it should be fine. I would in fact praise the company for being willing to replace such an expensive engine.

It shouldn't take that long to replace an engine unless the delivery is delayed. As for loaners, that is primarily a dealership issue. Considering what an expensive car you have, I would certainly ask for a somewhat equivalent loaner (I doubt you will bet a 550 but you should be able to get a 530i as a loaner). If your dealership won't give you a decent loaner, speak to the service manager or the general manager.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTim View Post
Hey all,

Long time lurker of the forum, always appreciate the info. Finally have something post worthy and its unfortunately bad news.

Looking for some general guidance here. Brought my 550 into the dealership this morning due to some uncomfortable clicking/tapping noises coming from the engine bay most audibly at cold start and a drivetrain malfunction error that was happening just about every time I got on the highway in the past week. I'm 6-7 months into the lease and am barely past 1600 babied miles without a single attempt at even trying launch control yet and was just told that the issue was serious enough that the engine needs to be replaced in its entirety.

They stated they'd be calling back hopefully by end of day regarding replacement engine availability and the results of the final tests, but assuming the engine does in fact need replacing, has anyone been through a similar situation? Is there any chance at the car being replaced instead or am I just looking at a long repair? Also assuming the shipping and repair would take weeks, do I have any standing to at the very least request something a little nicer than the standard loaner?

Appreciate any and all feedback. Would love to just be better informed/prepared for when they do call back.

Thanks,
Tim
Ten years ago, I got my engine replaced in my 545i. It took 4 months but I think it was due to the dealer’s incompetence. Once the repair was approved the engine replacement only took three days. I was given a brand new 5 series to drive and put 7k miles on it. You should be able to talk to you service guy to schedule the repairs when a 5 series or better loaner is available and they will accommodate you.
      05-12-2018, 03:17 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

It will be the Valvetronic motor this has happened a lot on the E80 M3.
No engine replacement required if so.

05-12-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
BigTim
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealership for final confirmation and will definitely look to get something nicer and a better estimate on how long they think it will be there for service.

As for the noise, this is what it sounded like on mine, unlike the video posted mine only happens when the engine is on though, and does increase with rev.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #6
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still waiting to hear back from the dealership for final confirmation and will definitely look to get something nicer and a better estimate on how long they think it will be there for service.

As for the noise, this is what it sounded like on mine, unlike the video posted mine only happens when the engine is on though, and does increase with rev.

That does sound like Valves, hope all goes well.
      05-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
runstra
Norway
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e 2021

Is this a problem on M550i ?

Heard from another owner of an M550i that he had the same problem. The dealer say that it was problem with cylinder 7. And the factory had order replacement of 69 new engines...
Anyone knowing more about this ? Could this be another reason why they have stoppet the delivery of M550i in europe ?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #8
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by runstra View Post
Heard from another owner of an M550i that he had the same problem. The dealer say that it was problem with cylinder 7. And the factory had order replacement of 69 new engines...
Anyone knowing more about this ? Could this be another reason why they have stoppet the delivery of M550i in europe ?
The M550i delivery issue in Europe is an emissions change that needs to be done to the V8 to meet more stringent requirements. I would be suspect of how widespread the engine issue is based on two instances and I doubt a dealer knew of or would share a total count of failures worldwide.
      05-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I can see why it may be viewed as a valve issue, (hydraulic valve adjuster) as it is at camshaft speed.

I've heard this sound before. Part way through the video as the revs increase, we hear a sort of 'off beat' change. My E39 M62 V8 engine had to be replaced as it developed a very similar sound track. Was damage to one cylinder, both piston and bore had scored, causing piston slap.

Mine got worse (louder) as the engine warmed. We first thought it was a HVA, but the odd 'off beat' gave doubts and it sounded a bit lower in the engine. BMW's UK engine guy couldn't really identify the true cause, in my engine. But the signs were the cylinder had been running hot, (discoloration, different to the other cylinders in the bank) and the inlet valves were getting loose in the guides, (only in the bad cylinder). Whether it was a breakdown in lubrication due to the heat, or carbon dropped into the cylinder, we couldn't determine.

Needed a new engine as both block and one head were damaged.

Will be interesting to see exactly what the problem is.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2018, 01:14 AM   #10
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Wait, this car in the video sounds like a Lombardini boat motor or either way they mistakenly put it in there
Sorry ,hope you get this sorted out
      05-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
BigTim
Registered
Rep

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update the thread to say the problem has been resolved and the engine replaced. Have to give some props to the service guys at BMW Peabody, as they had this diagnosed and the engine replaced in just under a week! Happy to have it back for the weekend!

Here's the diagnosis for those that were interested:

SES: C/ S SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT ON
C/ S C/ S DRIVE TRAIN MALFUNCTION KEEPS COMING ON

FOUND SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT CURRENTLY ILLUMINATED
CONNECTED BATTERY CHARGER AND RAN VEHICLE TEST. FOUND FAULT CODE 168201 KNOCK SENSOR 3 SIGNAL T00 HIGH. RAN TEST PLAN FOR KNOCK SENSOR. RAN CHECKS FOR KNOCK SENSOR, FOUND NO ELECTRICAL FAULTS IN KNOCK SENSOR SYSTEM. TEST PLAN RECOMMENDED TO CHECK FOR ENGINE MECHANICAL DAMAGE. LOUD KNOCKING NOISE PRESENT FROM LOWER END OF ENGINE. CHECKED ENGINE OIL LEVEL, FOUND TO BE AT MAX ON BOTH IDRIVE AND DIPSTICK. DRAINED OIL TO VERIFY LEVEL, FOUND 9.5 QUARTS IN ENGINE. FOUND OIL TO BE SHINY/METALLIC IN APPEARANCE. PERFORMED COMPRESSION TEST. FOUND CYLINDERS 1-4 AT 215-220PS1. CYLINDER 5 AT 170 PSI AND CYLINDER 6 AT 210 PSI. CYLINDERS 7 AND 8 AT 220 PSI. CYLINDER 5 HAS NOTICEABLY LOWER COMPRESSION THAN OTHER CYLINDERS, PERFORMED LEAKDOWN TEST. FOUND CYLINDERS TO HAVE 4-5% LEAK DOWN EXCEPT CYLINDER 5 WHICH HAS 15% LEAKDOWN. USING BORESCOPE INSPECTED CYLINDERS WALLS OF CYLINDER 5, FOUND MAJOR SCORING PRESENT.
Appreciate 3
      05-19-2018, 01:13 AM   #12
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Glad you got a nice new Engine, lets hope all goes well for you now, enjoy.
      05-19-2018, 02:56 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to update the thread to say the problem has been resolved and the engine replaced.

... LEAK DOWN EXCEPT CYLINDER 5 WHICH HAS 15% LEAKDOWN. USING BORESCOPE INSPECTED CYLINDERS WALLS OF CYLINDER 5, FOUND MAJOR SCORING PRESENT.
Excellent turnaround and hope it now gives good service.

Not surprised at the source of the problem, sound track was like my engine as I posted above, that odd 'off-beat' rattle.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #14
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

That engine sounded terrible. Glad it got taken care of. I would expect no less from BMW when faced with such glaring manufacturing defect..

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucep View Post
My 2018 M550 with 4K miles is in shop currently waiting on a new motor as well. Had the tapping so took it into the dealer to see what was going on. Received a call the on Tuesday that the tech found a major issue and had to call BMW technical service and was told they need to replace the motor. When I asked if this will be a brand new motor I was told that the motor is not new but remanufatured and I should be happy with that and couldn’t see why I was upset as it is the same as new. Keep in mind this is a automobile I purschased and not leased. I called BMW 800 number and they opened a case and was told a case manager would be in touch in 24 hours and they were but missed the call and was told they would look into it fully. Well later that day I missed a call from my dealer and had to track down who called. After speaking to the dealer I was told BMW will do nothing and that Is the final outcome. I haven’t received the official work from BMW but was told from dealer it was. Am I being unreasonable for being upset as who knows if this new motor will effect resale or even will it ever be like it should have been new from the factory. When I placed the complaint with BMW I was asked what would be a suitable outcome for me so I asked for a buyback or a switch for the same exact spect car being mine only has 4K miles on it. Am I being unrealistic or am I making a bigger deal of this than I should your feedback either agreeing or not would be very helpful.
Stick to your guns, a new engine or a new car Nothing less, I would NOT accept a recon engine NO way.
      07-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #16
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Lawyer up perhaps?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #17
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
When reading posts lile these, I am very glad I decided to lease the 540i.

Will be my first lease, and definitely not the last.

Modern cars have become so high tech, that the chance of a failure has become very real.

Now, with the lease, after 3 years I give it back and don't have to worry about motor plan comments.

Last edited by mk1-fan; 07-28-2018 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #18
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1-fan View Post
When reading posts lile these, I am very glad I decided to lease the 540i.

Will be my first lease, and definitely not the last.

Modern cars have become so high tech, that the chance of a failure has become very real.

Now, with the lease, after 3 years I give it back and don't have to worry about motor plan comments.
I have my issues with leasing and much prefer ownership. I have only leased a car and that was 20 years ago.

Subject for a different thread...

OP: Consider also asking for additional warranty coverage for the huge inconvenience. Seems to me, BMW is honoring the warranty. Speak to an attorney just in case...

Appreciate 1
      07-28-2018, 04:12 PM   #19
MNC8395
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i SE LCI

Reject the car. A recon engine is a refurbed second hand part where you have no knowledge of the history. New engine or new car
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 07:56 PM   #20
High Flier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I have my issues with leasing and much prefer ownership. I have only leased a car and that was 20 years ago.

Subject for a different thread...

OP: Consider also asking for additional warranty coverage for the huge inconvenience. Seems to me, BMW is honoring the warranty. Speak to an attorney just in case...
I think this is good advice. BMW wouldn't replace your engine with something that didn't meet their standards.

Ask for a history of the new engine...miles, problems, etc. And like 530i driver said, tell them you want additional coverage for the trouble. I don't think you will have any problems with the replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2018, 04:01 AM   #21
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Would it possible for him to ask BMW to return some cash due to obvious fall in value of the car or turn the contract to a PCP so that the car has a guaranteed future value the car would be returned at a certain mileage. Otherwise I do not see how OP is not going to sell the car for a substantial loss in the future.

I am almost sure, insurance companies in the UK usually replace a new car with substantial damage with a new one

So logically speaking without the above contacts an extended warranty would only cover the OP for future failure in functioning of the car but not the certain immediate fall in value of the car.
      07-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #22
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Would it possible for him to ask BMW to return some cash due to obvious fall in value of the car or turn the contract to a PCP so that the car has a guaranteed future value the car would be returned at a certain mileage. Otherwise I do not see how OP is not going to sell the car for a substantial loss in the future.

I am almost sure, insurance companies in the UK usually replace a new car with substantial damage with a new one

So logically speaking without the above contacts an extended warranty would only cover the OP for future failure in functioning of the car but not the certain immediate fall in value of the car.
Our consumer laws are neither as favorable nor as comprehensive as those in the U.K. Claiming against diminished value because of a replacement engine when BMW is honoring the terms of the limited warranty is definitely a long reach.

The extended warranty is money in the OP's pocket. It is a free insurance policy in case that replacement engine fails 50K-80K miles down the road. If he doesn't ever uses it and he sells the car (Assuming the extended warranty is still active) it will add value and a vote of confidence for the next buyer of the car.

Again, I believe the OP should explore further legal options at his disposal. But it seems to me asking for an extended warranty from BMW (Which are very good from first hand experience) will go a long way in restoring his confidence in the car.

That extended warranty will pay itself many times over even with just a couple of visits. Here in the US you pay a small deductible per visit, usually $50, and BMW pick ups the rest of the tab. I have had repairs worth $5000 at the dealership and my total cash outlay for that repair visit was only $50

Asking BMWUSA to do anything above replacing the engine 100% under warranty is an act of goodwill. Be polite but firm and ask them not only to make good on the warranty (Which they are contractually obligated to abide to by law) but also to restore confidence/faith in the product via goodwill.

Best of luck to the OP.

Appreciate 0