BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications 2020 M550i ecu removal

03-18-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
sjanda35
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 535i

2020 M550i ecu removal

I'm getting my car tuned from DME Tunes of Texas and with the 2020, they're saying my ecu needs to be taken out & shipped to them. Does anyone know exactly how to do it for the 2020? Any tips too would be appreciated. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 01:46 AM   #2
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i xDrive

What is the production date of your vehicle? Your vehicle may not be OBD locked.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 02:12 AM   #3
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Are you concerned about warranty issues?

I have a 2018 and the idea of tuning mine would be phenomenal - it would probably get me up to your OEM power levels , but I'm worried about warranty issues.

My car is a CPO and has an extended warranty that runs for four more years - if I put on a tune and something goes haywire... and they detect that software was modified I would assume a big ticket item like engine replacement would get denied.

Major engine work on this car would probably be 25 grand or more at the dealer even an independent you've got to be looking at 10 or 15 grand.... either way I don't know if I can say that the extra power levels to me would be worth it the car is already fast as shit stock and mines only a 2018.

I sometimes find myself asking myself how much more power do I really need.... and then an hour later I find myself looking up tunes on the Internet...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 03:30 AM   #4
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjanda35 View Post
I'm getting my car tuned from DME Tunes of Texas and with the 2020, they're saying my ecu needs to be taken out & shipped to them. Does anyone know exactly how to do it for the 2020? Any tips too would be appreciated. Thanks
Here you go. WARNING! You should disconnect the battery before you do anything and take pictures after removing the covers in case you forget what plugs in where. Once you disconnect the wiring harnesses on both sides and push them aside, you will be able to pull the ECUs straight up. Below photos are for 2020 M550i as you mention in your original post title.
Attached Images

Last edited by Bandoul; 03-21-2021 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2021, 08:22 AM   #5
sjanda35
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC View Post
Are you concerned about warranty issues?

I have a 2018 and the idea of tuning mine would be phenomenal - it would probably get me up to your OEM power levels , but I'm worried about warranty issues.

My car is a CPO and has an extended warranty that runs for four more years - if I put on a tune and something goes haywire... and they detect that software was modified I would assume a big ticket item like engine replacement would get denied.

Major engine work on this car would probably be 25 grand or more at the dealer even an independent you've got to be looking at 10 or 15 grand.... either way I don't know if I can say that the extra power levels to me would be worth it the car is already fast as shit stock and mines only a 2018.

I sometimes find myself asking myself how much more power do I really need.... and then an hour later I find myself looking up tunes on the Internet...
I want as much power as I can get lol. I was planning on an M5 then thought about how I could get a used M550i with low miles for almost half the price. And that's exactly what I did. With warranties, I'm basically just hoping nothing goes wrong. I had a 535i with no problems before this car. Completely different car, but I feel that BMW has fixed up some of their quality control issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
sjanda35
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoul View Post
Quote:
Here you go. WARNING! You should disconnect the battery before you do anything and take pictures after removing the covers in case you forget what plugs in where. Once you disconnect the wiring harnesses on both sides and push them aside, you will be able to pull the ECUs straight up. Below photos are for 2020 M550i as you mention in your original post title.
Thanks! This helps so much. Another question. Do you know if I have to send in both ecu's? Or is it a certain one?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2021, 11:08 AM   #7
Bandoul
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks! This helps so much. Another question. Do you know if I have to send in both ecu's? Or is it a certain one?
You need to send both. If 1 ECU is OBD locked, then so is the other. Did you figure out your production date? Do you know what Shipment I-Step the car came with from factory?
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #8
sjanda35
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoul View Post
Quote:
You need to send both. If 1 ECU is OBD locked, then so is the other. Did you figure out your production date? Do you know what Shipment I-Step the car came with from factory?
I believe the production date is 07/2019. No idea about shipment.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #9
choppedliver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550ix Pure

Quote:
I want as much power as I can get lol. I was planning on an M5 then thought about how I could get a used M550i with low miles for almost half the price. And that's exactly what I did. With warranties, I'm basically just hoping nothing goes wrong. I had a 535i with no problems before this car. Completely different car, but I feel that BMW has fixed up some of their quality control issues.
Same here. I have a June 2020 so no idea if its locked but won't be tuning for a few years.

I will likely go stage 2 and then depending on rod bending issues decide at the time. Given the TU3 has forged rods (Not sure if same as M5) I assume similar limits. Keep the torque to 750nm as long as possible to avoid bending.
Appreciate 0