BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 530e advice

12-19-2019, 04:57 AM   #1
dgmc
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 330d M Sport

530e advice

I currently have a 530d and lease is up in a few months and considering a 530e - if you have a full battery and leave car in eDrive auto how many miles would you get with it automatically switching between battery and engine before battery is depleted? Also, once battery is depleted does it still work as a mild hybrid?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmc View Post
I currently have a 530d and lease is up in a few months and considering a 530e - if you have a full battery and leave car in eDrive auto how many miles would you get with it automatically switching between battery and engine before battery is depleted? Also, once battery is depleted does it still work as a mild hybrid?
In my experience the car uses the battery up pretty quickly in auto mode and it then becomes a traditional hybrid. It does seem to use electricity less if your driving is on a highway at highway speeds. If you use the navigation system, it will attempt to maximize your use of electricity for the trip which works fine if you are on your way back but doesn't make a lot of sense to me if it is your first trip of the day. There are too many variables to intelligently answer your question about miles before the battery is depleted (type of driving, type of driver, weather, road conditions, etc.).

If my total range between charges is outside the ev range, I don't worry about it and let the car do its thing. it seems to me that ultimately I am using the same amount of electricity and gasoline whether the mix at the beginning is more electric or is so at the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
SteveInArizona is right in that it varies based on a few variables. I would say the ultimate goal of Auto is to strike a good balance between fuel economy and performance. It will also activate the electric motor once a moderate charge is recovered via regenerative braking. It is my current default mode.

If you're attempting to maximize fuel economy ECO Pro is the best for this. It will be a lot more aggressive in how often it turns off the engine and operates on electric. For instance, it will turn the engine off when coasting and coast on the electric motor and will extend electric range on drives where speed is relatively constant. It works very well.

Max eDrive is great if you want as much power as you can get from the electric motor before switching to gas. As it will allow a larger electric only power range (60% up from the 40% in Auto) and will hold the gas engine off until the hybrid battery is fully drained.

IMHO the most important impact on range (at least so far in the Winter as I haven't yet owned in the summer) is to precondition before you leave so the battery and cabin are warm as the most you re-charge and the more you precondition the better the range.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
SteveInArizona is right in that it varies based on a few variables. I would say the ultimate goal of Auto is to strike a good balance between fuel economy and performance. It will also activate the electric motor once a moderate charge is recovered via regenerative braking. It is my current default mode.

If you're attempting to maximize fuel economy ECO Pro is the best for this. It will be a lot more aggressive in how often it turns off the engine and operates on electric. For instance, it will turn the engine off when coasting and coast on the electric motor and will extend electric range on drives where speed is relatively constant. It works very well.

Max eDrive is great if you want as much power as you can get from the electric motor before switching to gas. As it will allow a larger electric only power range (60% up from the 40% in Auto) and will hold the gas engine off until the hybrid battery is fully drained.

IMHO the most important impact on range (at least so far in the Winter as I haven't yet owned in the summer) is to precondition before you leave so the battery and cabin are warm as the most you re-charge and the more you precondition the better the range.
I have never used eco pro (and don't intend to use it) although I fully expect that it will help. Be aware that if you use it, it will decrease your HVAC as well as other features.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

Quote:
if you have a full battery and leave car in eDrive auto how many miles would you get with it automatically switching between battery and engine before battery is depleted?
I get 20-25 mi on auto with my daily commute.

I only drive in auto and noticed something interesting recently when some road work was finally completed. A good bit of my commute is highway that has been under construction for months and the speed limit was reduced. Now, I am at 70+ mph and my range has significantly increased and mpg has decreased. Why? The 530e will generally favor electric drive below 70 mph and gas above 70 mph.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I have never used eco pro (and don't intend to use it) although I fully expect that it will help. Be aware that if you use it, it will decrease your HVAC as well as other features.
Yeah that's a very good point. I haven't noticed any negative impacts from testing it out for decent sized drives. Outside of slower throttle response. But I haven't yet ended up in the summer where you have the sun radiating into the cabin and pushing up the temperature very aggressively. I think maintaining a stable cabin temperature is a lot easier in the winter. I put about 3K miles on my 530e so far testing out the modes and features.

IMHO it makes the most sense if you're on the highway on a longer drive and on CC. No sense wasting fuel on a more responsive driving style when you're coasting down the highway on a 500 mile road trip. It only increases the likelihood you'll be stopping for gas.

Additionally, If you're in a state like me you stay in a more responsive mode in state since we don't really have a ton of troopers so you don't get busted for speed often. I do hit CC in NY and DE as they are both aggressive with speed enforcement. I absolutely hit CC in VA which I am in a few times a year as going 80MPH is an offense that will require you to serve jail time and I'm not interested in being in a jail for any reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
Bebe03
Rep
Drives: G30 530e

Does anyone kniw about the ExtraBoost fuction? How much hp does it make?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe03 View Post
Outside of Extra Boost mode you'll be exclusively on either the gas engine or electric motor. Meaning you'll have the HP output of the respective drive power source. Once you activate Extra Boost you get a combination of both at the same time.

ICE: 180HP
EV: 111HP
Combined: 248HP
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
Bebe03
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Outside of Extra Boost mode you'll be exclusively on either the gas engine or electric motor. Meaning you'll have the HP output of the respective drive power source. Once you activate Extra Boost you get a combination of both at the same time.

Thank you! Isnt't it like the 330e? There is 292 hp in ExtraBoost
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:15 PM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
I think the 330e xtra boost mode is a bit different. In that it allows you to get extra jump for a short while if the battery can pump it out 2-4 seconds or so. I have held my 530e in eBoost mode for more than 4 seconds and it holds up.

The 2020 330e hasn't hit the US yet, but my understanding is it has eBoost and xTraBoost as a added bonus. Such a mode might come too the 530e via LCI not sure, but I'm sure it will feel a lot better on the 330e. The smaller more nimble vehicle should response aggressively to that boost.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #11
Bebe03
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think the 330e xtra boost mode is a bit different. In that it allows you to get extra jump for a short while if the battery can pump it out 2-4 seconds or so. I have held my 530e in eBoost mode for more than 4 seconds and it holds up.

The 2020 330e hasn't hit the US yet, but my understanding is it has eBoost and xTraBoost as a added bonus. Such a mode might come too the 530e via LCI not sure, but I'm sure it will feel a lot better on the 330e. The smaller more nimble vehicle should response aggressively to that boost.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #12
Bebe03
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!
So it doesn't work like 184+111=296hp in ExtraBoost?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
No, as there is only eBoost on the 530e. Which is a combination as I mentioned earlier. It doesn’t yet have a function to temporarily overcharge the EV motor temporarily. The LCI may get this in MY2021 or it may be limited to the 3 series. No one knows right now. But the current 530e does not have that feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #14
Bebe03
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No, as there is only eBoost on the 530e. Which is a combination as I mentioned earlier. It doesn’t yet have a function to temporarily overcharge the EV motor temporarily. The LCI may get this in MY2021 or it may be limited to the 3 series. No one knows right now. But the current 530e does not have that feature.
Could you tell me what is LCI?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #15
runbuh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

Quote:
Life Cycle Impulse. Sort of a mid-cycle refresh of a given platform. G30 is due for LCI in 2021 (supposedly).
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 11:46 PM   #16
Bebe03
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by runbuh View Post
Quote:
Life Cycle Impulse. Sort of a mid-cycle refresh of a given platform. G30 is due for LCI in 2021 (supposedly).
Ok, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 01:54 AM   #17
Richukbmw5
England
Rep
Drives: BMW g30

Quote:
I’ve had my 2008 for 18 months now and I get
21 miles in the summer and 16 miles in the winter. They have increased the battery size slightly which should improve things a little. I drive 16 miles a day commuting to work so the car suits me fine. However, when I travel for work (twice a week) normally 200 mile round trips I average around 42mpg which I’m not happy with and doesn’t cover my cost per mile claim from my employer.

Consider your Driving habits and get a test drive for the day if you can. Me personally I will be going full electric in 18 months. I personally feel the plug in hybrid is too much of a compromise. You’re carrying the weight of an engine and gearbox when using an electric and when the batteries are depleted your engine is hauling the weight of a heavy empty battery.
It works out as 2.5 miles per kw/h. Where an electric car you would expect at least 5 miles kw/h.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 05:05 AM   #18
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richukbmw5 View Post
Quote:
I've had my 2008 for 18 months now and I get
21 miles in the summer and 16 miles in the winter. They have increased the battery size slightly which should improve things a little. I drive 16 miles a day commuting to work so the car suits me fine. However, when I travel for work (twice a week) normally 200 mile round trips I average around 42mpg which I'm not happy with and doesn't cover my cost per mile claim from my employer.

Consider your Driving habits and get a test drive for the day if you can. Me personally I will be going full electric in 18 months. I personally feel the plug in hybrid is too much of a compromise. You're carrying the weight of an engine and gearbox when using an electric and when the batteries are depleted your engine is hauling the weight of a heavy empty battery.
It works out as 2.5 miles per kw/h. Where an electric car you would expect at least 5 miles kw/h.
I agree. 530e is however too compromised as most plug in hybrids are. The added 400+ pounds of weight on this model do impact handling.

To realize gas savings you will probably have to keep the car over a number of years to barely break even.

There is a reason why BMW priced the G30 530e same as it's 530i gasoline only counterpart: To move the metal out quicker from dealer lots.

These cars don't sell unless you throw in special pricing, cash on the hood or a combination of incentives including Federal tax credits.

Previous BMW iterations of ActiveHybrid models sold poorly because they were priced higher than gas only counterparts.

I believe this is a situation where you either go full gasoline or full EV or go home.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #19
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I agree. 530e is however too compromised as most plug in hybrids are. The added 400+ pounds of weight on this model do impact handling.

To realize gas savings you will probably have to keep the car over a number of years to barely break even.

There is a reason why BMW priced the G30 530e same as it's 530i gasoline only counterpart: To move the metal out quicker from dealer lots.

These cars don't sell unless you throw in special pricing, cash on the hood or a combination of incentives including Federal tax credits.

Previous BMW iterations of ActiveHybrid models sold poorly because they were priced higher than gas only counterparts.

I believe this is a situation where you either go full gasoline or full EV or go home.
I agree they priced it the same to increase demand, but I don't think it was done because the PHEV is a painful choice. In my honest opinion PHEVs are the car platforms of the future for the US market in the near term. BEVs still have a way to go and competing with Tesla is no small task (mainly due to their large charging network).

Moving a lot of PHEVs has at least two major advantages for BMW in my view:

1. Improving fleet wide fuel economy standards and minimizing fines based on overall fleet fuel economy. These fines hit luxury car makers like BMW and Mercedes the hardest as buyers of these brands tend to want the M and AMG models where fuel economy isn't the primary focus.

2. Improving their electric drive train expertise. BMW needs to build EVs if they are going to stay competitive and they need to move EVs with a client base that aren't focused on fuel economy. Price parity helps them to get into the car where they'll learn the tradeoff isn't as bad as they initially thought it would be.

The 530e is a great car and BMW did a great job of not giving something boring to drive. The high torque of the EV adds a nice little bit of flare and the car is just so darn quiet in EV mode. That being said, the more you can charge it the better your experience will be with the car. So any savings may be hard to come by or easy to come by depending on your driving style, location, and charging frequency.

But I see the PHEV as the right choice in the US as with such a large country we frequently do long drives. DC Fast Charging for BEVs can be VERY EXPENSIVE (to the point it out prices gas) unless you're in a Tesla using their super charging network. Being able to fallback to gas in those cases makes sense while using EV predominantly at home.

Quote:

According to BMW Blog the MY2020 will output 252 HP so a tiny bump over the previous model year if they are accurate. BMW NA still shows "TBD" on the specs page. But they did a good write up @ https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/01/17/2...halfway-there/
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #20
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think it might. The original 330e had an advertised HP of something like 84 and the 530e had an advertised HP of 111 but both had similar ICEs and similar rated HP.

I have always suspected that they are essentially the same but we had the boost built in.

Don't know but that is my suspicion.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 12:46 PM   #21
deusexe
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

What happens when I code xtraboost in my G30 530e preLCI with the latest firmware?
Appreciate 0