BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions bluetooth not reliable

02-14-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

bluetooth not reliable

I have had an on again off again issue with my phone not connecting to Bluetooth

Most times it does and 2x in the last week I had to delete it from the car and the phone. Restart the phone and reconnect.

Dealer has updated the software on the entire car last week and it’s still an annoying issue.

I have an iPhone XS up to date software. And I connect using Apple care play to get Waze to run through the car.

What super annoying it that you need to be in park for this process to connect. Posting steps to save anyone a call to Bmw If you share this issue. It failed while driving and after talking to the genius they said to pull over , our car in park, delete phone from car, delete car from phone, restart phone and add new device choose Apple car play, accept on phone accept on car, let it complete and accept Apple car play on phone then on car screen and it take another long Minute to complete as it say this may take a moment.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

IDrive 6 or 7?

Is this iPhone XS the only phone paired to this car?

Is your iPhone updated with latest iOS?

Carplay uses Bluetooth for the initial handshake then wifi to display info in iDrive. Once Carplay is running is all OK or does it disconnect randomly?
      02-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have Carplay but haven't been using it. I do have an Apple iphone. Previously a 7+, now an 8+. I had a 2016 330e for about a year and a half and I have had my 2018 530e for more than 2 years and I have never had a problem connecting with bluetooth. It works perfectly for me, every time.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

How do I know which I drive I have ?

Yes only phone paired with the car ever.

Yes totally updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
IDrive 6 or 7?

Carplay uses Bluetooth for the initial handshake then wifi to display info in iDrive. Once Carplay is running is all OK or does it disconnect randomly?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
tritus
Rep
Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I have had an on again off again issue with my phone not connecting to Bluetooth

Most times it does and 2x in the last week I had to delete it from the car and the phone. Restart the phone and reconnect.

Dealer has updated the software on the entire car last week and it’s still an annoying issue.

I have an iPhone XS up to date software. And I connect using Apple care play to get Waze to run through the car.

What super annoying it that you need to be in park for this process to connect. Posting steps to save anyone a call to Bmw If you share this issue. It failed while driving and after talking to the genius they said to pull over , our car in park, delete phone from car, delete car from phone, restart phone and add new device choose Apple car play, accept on phone accept on car, let it complete and accept Apple car play on phone then on car screen and it take another long Minute to complete as it say this may take a moment.
This happened to me couple times also, super annoying... One little hack I found is putting a destination in on the waze app before I get in the car. This seems to work every time.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:18 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
How do I know which I drive I have ?

Yes only phone paired with the car ever.

Yes totally updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
IDrive 6 or 7?

If G30 is MY20 (built 7/19+} it has iDrive 7.

Looking at your other threads seems you have iDrive 6 in your 2019.
      02-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

iPhone Xr here. No problems with bluetooth whatsoever. Works every time, all the time. Have had the updates done for backup camera. No problem. Sorry you are having problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 05:27 AM   #8
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Found a reconnect hack as the fun continues. Open the com then select manage mobile devices - select your phone- scroll down to connect. Don’t click it yet.

Open Bluetooth on iPhone hit the blue circle with the i then it will start trying to connect. At that minute hit connect on the I drive and it will connect. It’s a pain but at least I’m not searching for my air pods.

Bmw is claiming it’s an Apple issue and Apple support says no issues on their side. Lovely.
Appreciate 0