BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Thinking of ordering full leather.

02-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #1
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 Manual

Thinking of ordering full leather.

I'm pretty close to placing my order. I'm deciding if I want full leather. I know I can opt for the extended with the leather dash, but I'm leaning towards full.

I had it it my M4 and it made a huge difference in how luxurious the cabin felt.

The dealer told me it can add 2 or 3 months to the order since it's Individual. I'm not super pressed about the timeline, but 4-5 months for delivery seems a bit long.

I did some searching and didn't see too much on this subject for the G30.
      02-16-2020, 08:31 AM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

When I ordered my 530e I wanted full Merino leather (Caramel Black was my choice) BUT I couldn't wait the additional months so I ordered the regular Nappa. I think the Nappa is essentially equivalent to the Merino but I do wish I had the full leather (I did get the leather dash as well).

I agree with you that the full leather really finishes the cabin. If I had the time I would have ordered it. If you can afford the time and money...I would definitely go for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #3
Pictor
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX xDrive50 & 2020 M850i

Garage List
An extra 6-8 weeks maybe but 3-4 months? Doesn't seem right for what is basically a standard priority one option, assuming you're ordering a color that is on the order sheet and not something completely custom.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:14 AM   #4
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'll try and get a harder timeline this week. According the SA, depending on build allocation, a regular order can be 4-8 weeks and full leather can push that out an additional 4 to 8 weeks more.

Seems odd to me too. However, I ordered Individual full leather on my M4 a few years ago and I recall it taking nearly 4 months.
      02-17-2020, 10:31 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adcampo View Post
I'll try and get a harder timeline this week. According the SA, depending on build allocation, a regular order can be 4-8 weeks and full leather can push that out an additional 4 to 8 weeks more.

Seems odd to me too. However, I ordered Individual full leather on my M4 a few years ago and I recall it taking nearly 4 months.
I don't know if you are someone who turns in a car every three years or keeps it for a long time. But either way...it is a lot longer than 3-4 months. So get the car you want!

My problem was that I was selling my car back to BMW and they were nice enough to let me order the replacement car I wanted and let me keep the "lemon" until the new one came in. But there is a limit to how long I could do that. Otherwise I would have ordered the full leather and waited.

If you don't get the full merino leather, you will have buyer's remorse for years.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I don't know if you are someone who turns in a car every three years or keeps it for a long time. But either way...it is a lot longer than 3-4 months. So get the car you want!

My problem was that I was selling my car back to BMW and they were nice enough to let me order the replacement car I wanted and let me keep the "lemon" until the new one came in. But there is a limit to how long I could do that. Otherwise I would have ordered the full leather and waited.

If you don't get the full merino leather, you will have buyer's remorse for years.
I don't keep cars long at all. It's a real problem, but I'll save that for another time.

I'm going to plan on ordering the full leather. I'm in no rush and to your point, I'll regret it if I don't.

I was debating between full leather and the B&W. I'm no music audiophile and mostly listen to talk radio any more. So, I'm going with full leather. I may spring for the ceramic controls. Debating on the self parking. I had it on my M4 and it was mostly a gimmick that I rarely used. Although the display key looks pretty cool.
      02-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't keep cars long at all. It's a real problem, but I'll save that for another time.

I'm going to plan on ordering the full leather. I'm in no rush and to your point, I'll regret it if I don't.

I was debating between full leather and the B&W. I'm no music audiophile and mostly listen to talk radio any more. So, I'm going with full leather. I may spring for the ceramic controls. Debating on the self parking. I had it on my M4 and it was mostly a gimmick that I rarely used. Although the display key looks pretty cool.
The problems with remote control parking:

It is most useful in tight spaces but if you are parked in such a tight space, the guy next to you has probably already dinged your car. I think the main use of it is if you parked in a spot with plenty of room and some idiots pulled in on both sides of you leaving you no room to get into your car. Then it is, of course, helpful.

The other problem is that the display key is so dang large. If the main use is the very occasional use I described above, it would be a pain to carry the key around all the time for the once every two year occurrence.

I actually passed on the ceramic controls and I have seen reviews that said that they can cause reflection problems.

I don't know how else you are configiuring your car but you might want to consider adaptive dampers if they are not already in your build.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #8
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I actually passed on the ceramic controls and I have seen reviews that said that they can cause reflection problems.

I don't know how else you are configiuring your car but you might want to consider adaptive dampers if they are not already in your build.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I'll skip the parking/display key. I'll do some more research on the ceramic controls. Hadn't seen anything about reflection.

I gonna skip the dynamic handling package. I rarely switch between suspension choices. Even with my M cars. I know the 4 wheel steering and roll control is helpful in tight spots and on twisties. My wife has it on her Q7. It's probably best I don't drive one with it or I'll want it

My big must have options are comfort seats, executive and the assistant packages and 5 spoke 20" wheels. Full leather too.
      02-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
johnnyp420
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e M sport

Garage List
2018 BMW 530e  [0.00]
FWIW - you spend most of your time sitting inside your car, so might as well have it configured to your liking, so I'd go with the extended leather. Also the controls are what you will interact with most, so id also spring for the ceramic controls. I have not encountered any reflection issues as another member mentioned. They feel pretty luxurious and high quality. Although I don't see how they charge $600-$700 for 3 knobs...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 07:41 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I don't know how else you are configiuring your car but you might want to consider adaptive dampers if they are not already in your build.
Yeah, I think I'll skip the parking/display key. I'll do some more research on the ceramic controls. Hadn't seen anything about reflection.

I gonna skip the dynamic handling package. I rarely switch between suspension choices. Even with my M cars. I know the 4 wheel steering and roll control is helpful in tight spots and on twisties. My wife has it on her Q7. It's probably best I don't drive one with it or I'll want it

My big must have options are comfort seats, executive and the assistant packages and 5 spoke 20" wheels. Full leather too.[/QUOTE]

I assume you have tried the comfort seats for an extended test drive and are happy with them. The forum is filled with folks who like one seat or another and hate one seat or another. The only answer, IMHO, is to find the one that seems to work and get an extended test drive to be certain.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
Adcampo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

My big must have options are comfort seats, executive and the assistant packages and 5 spoke 20" wheels. Full leather too.
I assume you have tried the comfort seats for an extended test drive and are happy with them. The forum is filled with folks who like one seat or another and hate one seat or another. The only answer, IMHO, is to find the one that seems to work and get an extended test drive to be certain.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I haven't' tried the comfort seats. I have ventilated in a few of my cars and love them. I'm guessing they'll be fine for me.

To be even more honest, I haven't even driven the 550 or any G30 yet. Maybe I should do that before anything else
      02-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I assume you have tried the comfort seats for an extended test drive and are happy with them. The forum is filled with folks who like one seat or another and hate one seat or another. The only answer, IMHO, is to find the one that seems to work and get an extended test drive to be certain.
Honestly, I haven't' tried the comfort seats. I have ventilated in a few of my cars and love them. I'm guessing they'll be fine for me.

To be even more honest, I haven't even driven the 550 or any G30 yet. Maybe I should do that before anything else[/QUOTE]

yes and yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #13
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Huh? Reflection from what? I have the ceramics, dont understand how reflection could be an issue...

Quote:
One thing to be careful of regarding full leather and comfort seats. I think this still applies for 2020, but when I ordered last year, if you go for the full ind. leather, you also have to get the seating package which adds ventilation and massage to the seats.

Some have said the massage components make the seats less comfortable. I dont like perforation in the seats and went with nappa instead of full ind leather. without the ventilation/massage, I find the seats very comfortable.

You should definitely try and find some g30s with different options to test
Appreciate 0