03-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #353
fireline43
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Mercedes C250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
I'm no expert. But are these real?
The ring around the diamonds is not even straight.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #354
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
bing240sx is Suge Knight

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #355
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

A month ago I crashed on my Ducati. Hit sand in the road, in the middle of a turn, which sent me into a wicked highside crash.

Broke some bones, finally now can wear regular shoes and not limping, still can't use armrests due to my elbow being messed up.

The worst part about the crash, (well, aside from the crash and insurance not covering the hospital or ambulance fees) was my Rolex Submariner was nearly destroyed. Fixable, but not to the point of my wanting to keep it.

My MC insurance did not cover the watch, but i was told my homeowners insurance might cover it, and I made a claim and it DOES!

State Farm is sending me a check for NEW replacement (even though i bought the watch used) so I'm in the market now for a new watch!

My jeweler says he'll buy my old watch as well, so this is working out nicely.

Thinking reallly hard about getting a Sea Dweller.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #356
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
A month ago I crashed on my Ducati. Hit sand in the road, in the middle of a turn, which sent me into a wicked highside crash.

Broke some bones, finally now can wear regular shoes and not limping, still can't use armrests due to my elbow being messed up.

The worst part about the crash, (well, aside from the crash and insurance not covering the hospital or ambulance fees) was my Rolex Submariner was nearly destroyed. Fixable, but not to the point of my wanting to keep it.

My MC insurance did not cover the watch, but i was told my homeowners insurance might cover it, and I made a claim and it DOES!

State Farm is sending me a check for NEW replacement (even though i bought the watch used) so I'm in the market now for a new watch!

Glad you're recovering well! Been on that shovel head yet since the accident?

That's good news about the whole watch situation, always nice to get a fresh start.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #357
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

They both look fake to me as well.
      03-21-2013, 10:08 AM   #358
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

You guys are way to hung up on those two rolex's. who cares if they are fake or not, they tell time and the owner is happy with them. That's all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #359
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Glad to hear the situation may be working out to your benefit. I've never owned a motorcycle, but have always dreamed of a Ducati Monster. When I start looking around at used bikes is when I typically also find stories like yours or even see bike accidents. That always puts me back into a holding pattern.
      03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #360
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Glad to hear the situation may be working out to your benefit. I've never owned a motorcycle, but have always dreamed of a Ducati Monster. When I start looking around at used bikes is when I typically also find stories like yours or even see bike accidents. That always puts me back into a holding pattern.
I rode for a few years, they were some of the best of my life. If you don't want to fall, don't get sports bikes, you're less likely to try something stupid on a Harley.

(Things can still go wrong but at least you aren't doing 100mph with a knee down when it goes wrong)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 02:08 PM   #361
EricFTW
Registered
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:

lol when I was riding out of highschool (long time ago >.<) I had the absolute cheapest insurance I can buy.. Thank god I never got into an accident I'm sure mines wouldnt cover a thing =(

Glad youre alright, is the duc totalled?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #362
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

not that i'm particularly concerned about it but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draman View Post
Both look fake to me, the clasp mechanism looks like the typical style on knock offs (folding part should be polished instead of matte, the split in the middle is wrong). That is not what a Rolex president band should look like and the fit to the case is beyond awful, looks like something out of Skymall. Never seen that bezel either and Rolex has never made a black/PVD watch or anything with a rubber strap. But hey maybe it's a frankenwatch with non original parts....
the strap is one of the first from Everest: WUS Link

The PVD is aftermarket, Rolex has a bulletin out to their dealer network from 2010 advising that it voids the warranty in response to so many people doing it.

The President is the OE bracelet in 18k modded to accept the diamond work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireline43 View Post
The ring around the diamonds is not even straight.
Yeah the diamond work on the Sub is much better. We had several done and our dealer commissioned the work.

The President was done by someone else and the work is not quite as good but 18k is much harder to finish than steel. however, the casting flaws should have been a clear sign of actual 18k gold (relatively soft) and who would make a fake rolex president out of solid 18k??? there is more value in the gold than in the movement
      03-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #363
playground
Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M3

Man that gold and black rollie on the last page made my eyes cringe. The workmanship is so poorly done, I would never even think about consider wearing one like that.

This is more like the rollie I like.
      03-22-2013, 04:37 AM   #364
alexfree05
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M135i

IWC,
panerai
rolex
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #365
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post

The PVD is aftermarket, Rolex has a bulletin out to their dealer network from 2010 advising that it voids the warranty in response to so many people doing it.

Yeah the diamond work on the Sub is much better. We had several done and our dealer commissioned the work.

The President was done by someone else and the work is not quite as good but 18k is much harder to finish than steel. however, the casting flaws should have been a clear sign of actual 18k gold (relatively soft) and who would make a fake rolex president out of solid 18k??? there is more value in the gold than in the movement
You basically just put steelies on an Aston Martin.

One way to look at it.
      03-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #366
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
You basically just put steelies on an Aston Martin.

One way to look at it.
Honestly, I never felt that Rolex was like an Aston Martin in terms of beauty and looks...
      03-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #367
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Honestly, I never felt that Rolex was like an Aston Martin in terms of beauty and looks...
Agreed, more like a gold Lexus ES 350; conservative, every old person has one and most folks think they're much nicer than they really are.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #368
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Quote:

It's interesting that you would do that...the workmanship on all the aftermarket stuff is more akin to something that should be on a Seiko (and not a Grand Seiko). Even the PVD is uneven on the clasp. More power to you if you like it I suppose, I would've customized with original Rolex parts if I was going the route of wanting something unique. At least with the bracelet, Rolex makes a president with diamonds, why not go with that?

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:34 AM   #369
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

bear in mind that you're basing this off of internet photos. rest assured that during the appraisal process (for the PVD watch) a neutral, authorized Rolex dealer and one of their gemmologists commented that the craftsmanship of the diamond work and the PVD was among the best they had seen ever. however, the quality of diamonds used in colouring (or naturally coloured diamonds) is usually I grade or thereabouts. You wouldn't use VS or higher grade diamonds in something like this. those are reserved for engagement rings and the like.

with regard to the president, we didn't commission the work on that one, it was bought as is since it was available rather than buying a president and then sending it out for the work. It might have come back better but it would ave been much more expensive.

this kind of work is very very common on Breitlings. It's just that the guys who have it done are not the type to troll forums. I would be somewhat of an anomaly.

here is an Avenger with some diamond work:

also note that my interest here is simply talking about watches and sharing actual photos since i'm a big watch enthusiast. i have no interest in arguing on the internet about it.
      03-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #370
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
i have no interest in arguing on the internet about it.
Wait, what?! Isn't that the sole purpose of this thing?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #371
amanda hor$t
Banned
Rep
Drives: a380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Agreed, more like a gold Lexus ES 350; conservative, every old person has one and most folks think they're much nicer than they really are.
it's the law of diminishing returns: when you have a watch that's pushing $10k retail, it's like a birkin bag on your wrist. it's one thing if watch collecting is a hobby. but as a status symbol, point made.

anyway, my real watch is priceless, though it's just a cheap sports watch (let's just say it's been through some stuff)

Last edited by amanda hor$t; 03-22-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #372
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Quote:
bear in mind that you're basing this off of internet photos. rest assured that during the appraisal process (for the PVD watch) a neutral, authorized Rolex dealer and one of their gemmologists commented that the craftsmanship of the diamond work and the PVD was among the best they had seen ever. however, the quality of diamonds used in colouring (or naturally coloured diamonds) is usually I grade or thereabouts. You wouldn't use VS or higher grade diamonds in something like this. those are reserved for engagement rings and the like.

with regard to the president, we didn't commission the work on that one, it was bought as is since it was available rather than buying a president and then sending it out for the work. It might have come back better but it would ave been much more expensive.

this kind of work is very very common on Breitlings. It's just that the guys who have it done are not the type to troll forums. I would be somewhat of an anomaly.

here is an Avenger with some diamond work:

also note that my interest here is simply talking about watches and sharing actual photos since i'm a big watch enthusiast. i have no interest in arguing on the internet about it.
Fair enough, if you like them that's all that matters . I'm a relatively big watch enthusiast myself. Might as well share mine if I'm going to comment on others! The Citizen has the most value to me, been through a lot with that guy. The Omega is my daily, I wear it probably 28 days a month!
Attached Images

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #373
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Lol, so true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Lol, interesting comparison.

Overall, ihave to say, I don't like rolex's on my wrist, I just don't think they look good. However, I do respect them as a brand and think they have smart branding.

I just feel my money is better spent on other brands for my personal taste.

As for the breitling avenger with diamonds, I think the diamond work on it is more fitting to the brand. I've seen lots of diamond encrusted rolex's over the years and always thought they looked like afterthoughts by the brand. As for the modified ones, I might be tempted to say, better then what Rolex does, but still not my cup of tea if I wanted a diamond watch. I'd probably go for the modded breitling first, it just seems to flow better. (Mostly because I'm just not a Rolex fan)
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #374
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draman View Post
Fair enough, if you like them that's all that matters . I'm a relatively big watch enthusiast myself. Might as well share mine if I'm going to comment on others! The Citizen has the most value to me, been through a lot with that guy. The Omega is my daily, I wear it probably 28 days a month!
Nice PO! I have a black 45.5 2500 PO and its definitly gets the most wear out of all my watches. I'm always tempted to pick up an orage bezel to switch from time to time.

Been wearing my U1 on the bracelet all week...

Appreciate 0