BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Need Help with Driving Assistance Pro Features

04-09-2024, 08:08 PM   #1
CHSCHQS
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Need Help with Driving Assistance Pro Features

My G30 has the Driving Assistance Pro package (which will be referenced in this thread as DAP), and I realize I'll get the hang of the system as my ownership continues, but as of right now I'm confused by it and toying with the buttons while on the freeway makes me uneasy. I didn't know enough about the DAP at the time of purchase and the dealership didn't do a thorough job of explaining it other than, "Here are your DAP function buttons."

My understanding is the DAP has three modes as per the green dash icons from L to R: 1) speed monitoring via the needle icon, 2) lane keeping via the steering wheel icon, and 3) "Assist Plus Ready".

The main issue for me right now is I trust my foot and eyes more than the DAP, so I'll often step on the brake before the DAP does if I'm slowing down. Let's say I set my speed at 70mph, I hit the brake, AD is interrupted. What button do I hit to get it back up to 70mph? Also, does the pro (self driving < 40mph) feature automatically pop up when traffic slows to < 40mph or do I have to activate it? Is this the cruise control system? Does it automatically deactivate if speed > 40mph? And can someone explain to me like I'm 5 when to hit which button? For example, right now I go:

A > Bumper up to 70mph.

And when I get the brakes and it interrupts I basically turn the whole function off and start over again LOLOL! Thanks all in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 09:03 PM   #2
arkhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 540i

The Res/Cancel button to resume. Also to cancel when working (works the same as pressing the brake pedal, but without the breaking. If you press the up/down knob or the SET button, it will reactivate but at your current speed.

< 40mph is Traffic Jam Assist. It doesn't activate automatically, and will not be available if the car determines the right conditions aren't met (e.g. location, lane visibility, etc.). When it does determin it can make it available, it will give you a notification and that's when you can activate it.

Cruise Control technically is only speed matching, without any other assist whatsoever. Some current model low-trim BMWs still have this. Number 1.) that you described (needle matching) is ACC (active radar cruise control) where it keeps the distance from a car in front, should it detect one.

If you don't trust it that much, then set your distance farther. If, while in DA, your car detects that it can't stop soon enough, it will give you both visual and audible alarms and prime the brakes (give more braking power with little effort) for you to intervene.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 06:15 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

For distance I set it to 3 bars for dry roads and 4 for wet. Any closer just feels too close .
Remember the old rule (in the dry) is to allow 3 seconds between the car in front and you.
With 3 or 4 bars you’ll achiev that and hopefully you’ll feel comfortable with that

I use it a lot on motorways and it very capable but at the end of the day you are in control and if you ever don’t feel comfortable then obviously take over .
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2024, 08:10 AM   #4
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHSCHQS View Post
My G30 has the Driving Assistance Pro package (which will be referenced in this thread as DAP), and I realize I'll get the hang of the system as my ownership continues, but as of right now I'm confused by it and toying with the buttons while on the freeway makes me uneasy. I didn't know enough about the DAP at the time of purchase and the dealership didn't do a thorough job of explaining it other than, "Here are your DAP function buttons."

My understanding is the DAP has three modes as per the green dash icons from L to R: 1) speed monitoring via the needle icon, 2) lane keeping via the steering wheel icon, and 3) "Assist Plus Ready".

The main issue for me right now is I trust my foot and eyes more than the DAP, so I'll often step on the brake before the DAP does if I'm slowing down. Let's say I set my speed at 70mph, I hit the brake, AD is interrupted. What button do I hit to get it back up to 70mph? Also, does the pro (self driving < 40mph) feature automatically pop up when traffic slows to < 40mph or do I have to activate it? Is this the cruise control system? Does it automatically deactivate if speed > 40mph? And can someone explain to me like I'm 5 when to hit which button? For example, right now I go:

A > Bumper up to 70mph.

And when I get the brakes and it interrupts I basically turn the whole function off and start over again LOLOL! Thanks all in advance.
I was in the same boat. You should try a You Tube search for BMW Driving Assistant Pro. There are a lot of videos with information and tips for using.
Appreciate 0