BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Display and instrument cluster brightness

12-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #45
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
There's a guy down the street that has the identical vehicle to mine with the same wheels that you have. You don't happen to live by Memorial Park do you? LOL

I really wanted the 668M wheels, but I needed a car in a hurry and I could not find one that had them.
Nope, live in North central San Antonio. Bought my car in Grapevine, and the wheels probably sealed the deal.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #46
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Quote:
There's a guy down the street that has the identical vehicle to mine with the same wheels that you have. You don't happen to live by Memorial Park do you? LOL

I really wanted the 668M wheels, but I needed a car in a hurry and I could not find one that had them.
Nope, live in North central San Antonio. Bought my car in Grapevine, and the wheels probably sealed the deal.
The 668M wheels are dope, no doubt about it.
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      12-16-2019, 07:39 AM   #47
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

[QUOTE=hlothery;25568901]Yea, have considered talking to my tint guy to see if he can remove and reapply lighter tint to the front windows. Not sure I want to get that radical yet, still experimenting with another possible aid. Will let you know. This is definitely an annoying and IMHO riduculous situation, where there should be some iDrive way to modulate the function of these sensors for tinting. I'll bet, if we could require the engineers who designed it to live in South Texas all next summer........:lol

Just got a quote from my tint guy. I think I'm gonna go with a clear tint that just takes out the UV rays. I got skin cancer on my left arm from the sun coming in the window. So I have to stop the UV rays. Interesting about the sensors in the instrument cluster though.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #48
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
[QUOTE=b74heavy;25575860]
Quote:
Yea, have considered talking to my tint guy to see if he can remove and reapply lighter tint to the front windows. Not sure I want to get that radical yet, still experimenting with another possible aid. Will let you know. This is definitely an annoying and IMHO riduculous situation, where there should be some iDrive way to modulate the function of these sensors for tinting. I'll bet, if we could require the engineers who designed it to live in South Texas all next summer........:lol

Just got a quote from my tint guy. I think I'm gonna go with a clear tint that just takes out the UV rays. I got skin cancer on my left arm from the sun coming in the window. So I have to stop the UV rays. Interesting about the sensors in the instrument cluster though.
I have 70% on my windshield and it doesn't even look like it's there.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #49
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

My car is 2016 built 2017 delivered 530i and it automatically adjusts the brightness of the HUD with the ambient daylight. If I drive against the sun it will brighten up the HUD to increase visibility and vice versa. At night time I find the HUD was a bit too bright when I first got the car but has got used to it ever since (and found my perfect settings for brightness).
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 06:11 PM   #50
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWave911 View Post
My car is 2016 built 2017 delivered 530i and it automatically adjusts the brightness of the HUD with the ambient daylight. If I drive against the sun it will brighten up the HUD to increase visibility and vice versa. At night time I find the HUD was a bit too bright when I first got the car but has got used to it ever since (and found my perfect settings for brightness).
He's not talking about the head-up display. He's talking about the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:32 AM   #51
b74heavy
Alpine White|19" Wheels|
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

I took out my flashlight today when it was a cloudy day and the display was dim and pointed it at the instrument cluster. The display got brighter. So I guess it works by looking at the brightness of the driver. For what it is worth.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #52
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by b74heavy View Post
I took out my flashlight today when it was a cloudy day and the display was dim and pointed it at the instrument cluster. The display got brighter. So I guess it works by looking at the brightness of the driver. For what it is worth.
Yes, as I mentioned above there are sensors in the dash facing the driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #53
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Yep, have tried everything I can, opening the sun roof cover, wearing bright clothing, etc. Nothing works consistently, except rolling down the drivers window a little....that works every time. Just have to decide if I can live with this, or if I need to replace the tint with 70%. Time will tell. Absolutely love everything else about this car. Have had skin cancer twice myself. This feature stinks.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 09:27 AM   #54
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, have tried everything I can, opening the sun roof cover, wearing bright clothing, etc. Nothing works consistently, except rolling down the drivers window a little....that works every time. Just have to decide if I can live with this, or if I need to replace the tint with 70%. Time will tell. Absolutely love everything else about this car. Have had skin cancer twice myself. This feature stinks.
Trust me from someone that's in the same exact situation, I have learned to live with it. The car looks better evenly tinted. Period.
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      12-17-2019, 07:35 PM   #55
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Trust me from someone that's in the same exact situation, I have learned to live with it. The car looks better evenly tinted. Period.
No doubt....and the UV protection is worth it. I'll probably learn to live with it, as you have. Frustrating that this level of technology can be defeated by window tint, but there it is.
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 08:05 PM   #56
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
No doubt....and the UV protection is worth it. I'll probably learn to live with it, as you have. Frustrating that this level of technology can be defeated by window tint, but there it is.
I totally agree with you. It affects me every single day, but not to a level where I can't functionally see everything. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #57
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Decision made

Well, had finally decided, per my last post on this issue, to just live with it. Then, on Monday I drove to Southlake (DFW) for Christmas with my Son and his family. On the way, I was pulled over by the Texas Highway Patrol (was doing 75 in a 75) for a window tint check, which I failed. Seems the 30% tint they applied, on top of what little factory tint existed, puts me at 19%, and 25% is the maximum allowed on the front windows. I was surprized...the officer was very nice and courteous (as was I), and gave me a warning ticket. The installer will come tomorrow to remove the old tint and retint at 50%. Will let you know if this solves the display issues. Merry Christmas?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #58
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

use a nano ceramic tint. You can get it with high uv blocking but low visible light blocking. Will stop heat but not light.
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      12-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #59
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
use a nano ceramic tint. You can get it with high uv blocking but low visible light blocking. Will stop heat but not light.
Yep, took your advice on that when it was originally installed. I have 70% on the windshield, and it is incredible, cannot see any tint, but it blocks significant heat. Still debating whether to go with 30% or 50%, since they said removing the tint will also remove the factory tint, so 30% should be accurate this time. Will make that decision tomorrow when I talk to them. The idea of fixing the display problem and still blocking UV and heat makes me very happy. DHP may have done me a favor, since I apparently would have failed my state inspection anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 01:23 PM   #60
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, had finally decided, per my last post on this issue, to just live with it. Then, on Monday I drove to Southlake (DFW) for Christmas with my Son and his family. On the way, I was pulled over by the Texas Highway Patrol (was doing 75 in a 75) for a window tint check, which I failed. Seems the 30% tint they applied, on top of what little factory tint existed, puts me at 19%, and 25% is the maximum allowed on the front windows. I was surprized...the officer was very nice and courteous (as was I), and gave me a warning ticket. The installer will come tomorrow to remove the old tint and retint at 50%. Will let you know if this solves the display issues. Merry Christmas?
I'm very surprised you got pulled over for that. I've been running 20% for years (in Texas) and I've never had any trouble.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #61
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Trooper probably was 23-24, followed me for about 5 miles, then pulled in behind me and turned on his lights. Came to the window with his tint meter in his hand. Guess he was bored......or doesn't like BMWs? I thought it was insane, but what are you going to do? At least he gave me a warning, not an actual fine. Installer said he got pulled over last month for the same, was running 20%. He thinks it is a new emphasis........you better watch out.....
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #62
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Trooper probably was 23-24, followed me for about 5 miles, then pulled in behind me and turned on his lights. Came to the window with his tint meter in his hand. Guess he was bored......or doesn't like BMWs? I thought it was insane, but what are you going to do? At least he gave me a warning, not an actual fine. Installer said he got pulled over last month for the same, was running 20%. He thinks it is a new emphasis........you better watch out.....
I wouldn't worry about it and would keep what you have. Sounds like he was a newb.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #63
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it and would keep what you have. Sounds like he was a newb.
Appreciate the advice, but I must decline to follow it. Tint gets changed tomorrow. I pretty much paint inside the lines. Certainly don't want to give anyone an open invitation to stop me. Besides......it may solve the reason for this thread, and then you won't have to listen to me whine anymore! Hope ya'll had a Merry Christmas, and have a Happy New Year.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #64
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Appreciate the advice, but I must decline to follow it. Tint gets changed tomorrow. I pretty much paint inside the lines. Certainly don't want to give anyone an open invitation to stop me. Besides......it may solve the reason for this thread, and then you won't have to listen to me whine anymore! Hope ya'll had a Merry Christmas, and have a Happy New Year.
This is not the first time someone didn't follow my advice. 😂😂😂
Appreciate 1
hlothery481.50
      12-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #65
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep

Final Verse

Installer came over today, same guy who installed the tint. He was able to very easily strip off the layer of tint he installed, leaving the factory tint intact. I decided I was good with that, as he estimated it looks about 30-40%. I'll get it metered eventually to make sure. The display is noticeably brighter since having this done. I will live with this legal solution. This problem is now solved. Thanks to everyone who commented. I will let my SA at BMW San Antonio know about this, since they were totally without any explanation. You guys rock!
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #66
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Installer came over today, same guy who installed the tint. He was able to very easily strip off the layer of tint he installed, leaving the factory tint intact. I decided I was good with that, as he estimated it looks about 30-40%. I'll get it metered eventually to make sure. The display is noticeably brighter since having this done. I will live with this legal solution. This problem is now solved. Thanks to everyone who commented. I will let my SA at BMW San Antonio know about this, since they were totally without any explanation. You guys rock!
When you say factory tint, are you talking about the hue inside of the glass?
Appreciate 0