BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Not impressed

10-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #1
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

Not impressed

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi Everyone,

I recently test drove two G30's, a 540i with Msport 704 and a 530ie with the same setup. I'm a long time BMW loyalist, having owned about 8 different cars since 2002, mostly 3 series but with a couple of E60 5 series mixed in.

Anyway, I am looking to replace my 435i and was oh so hoping for the G30 to correct the issues of the F10 which was about as dull of a BMW as I have ever driven.

Alas, I came away bored to tears with both cars. They are both extremely competent, well made and quite sedans but they are just too big to be any fun in the corners. I just can't even remotely understand how someone could compare these cars to the E39. They don't even drive remotely near as well as the E60. The new 5 is basically 7 series light, which is fine but I was hoping for something that could put a smile on my face once in a while and the new car just feels like a well engineered appliance.

I apologize for people that enjoy the F10, but for me that car is a great representation of everything BMW has been and continues to do wrong from an engineering stand point.

Rant over.....
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

You need smaller and lighter cars for enjoying corners, and BMW makes those kinds of cars, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Pick the right BMW for the kind of driving that you enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
You need smaller and lighter cars for enjoying corners, and BMW makes those kinds of cars, so I'm not sure what the issue is. Pick the right BMW for the kind of driving that you enjoy.
Yes and no...the 2 series is the only BMW in the current lineup that truly feels like a BMW.

But I used to be able to get a 4 door sedan that would be a perfect daily driver and still be entertaining to drive. E46 and E90 3 series as well as the E39 and E60 were practical cars that were fun.

The two series is fun, but definitely less practical than a 4 door. The F30 3 series has a rental grade interior, and is boring to drive, so BMWs options are much more limited than they used to be. The G30 (which I have) is capable as the OP mentioned, but steering feel is non-existent. I think that has more to do with the issue than the sheer size of the car
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post

My issue is BMW used to make sure all of their cars were fun and handle great. Regardless of Series or size. I have the need for a larger vehicle, but don't want a sleepy cruiser. And it seems like all of the competing cars are more fun to drive.
Appreciate 1
wknddrivr464.50
      10-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

shame you don't like the new G30. At least you have a go in them and made your decision.
I had a E39 and yes it was a good car, a VERY GOOD car in my opinion and yes although I've called my G30 540i my new E39, it is a larger car and as you say a 7 series lite is probably about right.(It's near as dammit as large as the old E38)

If you want something more involving would your budget stretch to a M4/M3 perhaps? (not driven my self)
Or perhaps a 6? Again not driven either so no personal experience on those as to how they drive and how involving.

I do think the steering though in the G30 could be improved . My F10 didn't match the E39 and the G30 is artificial and too light at low speeds.

if you haven't already seen this article, this is worth a read about BMW steering.

https://blog.caranddriver.com/steer-...steering-feel/

Otherwise I don't know what to suggest other than other makes possibly?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #6
Phas
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by geddylee View Post
Hi Everyone,

I recently test drove two G30's, a 540i with Msport 704 and a 530ie with the same setup. I'm a long time BMW loyalist, having owned about 8 different cars since 2002, mostly 3 series but with a couple of E60 5 series mixed in.

Anyway, I am looking to replace my 435i and was oh so hoping for the G30 to correct the issues of the F10 which was about as dull of a BMW as I have ever driven.

Alas, I came away bored to tears with both cars. They are both extremely competent, well made and quite sedans but they are just too big to be any fun in the corners. I just can't even remotely understand how someone could compare these cars to the E39. They don't even drive remotely near as well as the E60. The new 5 is basically 7 series light, which is fine but I was hoping for something that could put a smile on my face once in a while and the new car just feels like a well engineered appliance.

I apologize for people that enjoy the F10, but for me that car is a great representation of everything BMW has been and continues to do wrong from an engineering stand point.

Rant over.....
Your honest feedback is commendable. IMHO with all the BMW's you have owned (maybe one of them was a E39) the 435 you now drive has spoiled you to expect more. Your 435 rides on rails, and sticks to the road like glue, so did the E39.... the G30 is not going to duplicate that 435 experience.... it is a different car with totally different dynamics and demographics. While some of the DNA is the same, it is a different car.
e.g. your 435 is "tossable" going into a corner and coming out, while the G30 is front heavy (both 540 & 550) and has to be setup to enter the same corner. Also the 435 (with MMK) develops almost the same HP as a 540, and the 540 is a heavier car.
It is now what you want the car to do for you.....
Cheers
      10-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phas View Post
Your honest feedback is commendable. IMHO with all the BMW's you have owned (maybe one of them was a E39) the 435 you now drive has spoiled you to expect more. Your 435 rides on rails, and sticks to the road like glue, so did the E39.... the G30 is not going to duplicate that 435 experience.... it is a different car with totally different dynamics and demographics. While some of the DNA is the same, it is a different car.
e.g. your 435 is "tossable" going into a corner and coming out, while the G30 is front heavy (both 540 & 550) and has to be setup to enter the same corner. Also the 435 (with MMK) develops almost the same HP as a 540, and the 540 is a heavier car.
It is now what you want the car to do for you.....
Cheers

I'm holding out hope for the X3M40i. I wasn't comparing the G30 to my 435i and I really don't think you lose anything in straight line speed when you compare the two cars. I think the G30 is a disappointment compared to 5 Series of old, and steering feel is probably a big part of that. BMW still makes a great 6 cylinder though, best in the business.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 02:54 PM   #8
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Agreed the G30 has very little steering feel. Response is linear, there's very little play, but it's very numb. It is also probably too light for most people who really care about these things.

I love it, but then I bought mine as a cheaper, nimbler but equally refined alternative to a 7 series rather than with hopes of it being "the new E39".

As an alternative to an S-class actually. I really do find it that effortless and relaxing to drive. I don't see what meaningful improvements in refinement can be had by buying anything in the 5 series class or the class above.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

The new 5-series is really a luxury executive car with the appropriate amount of power -- depending on what works for you. I might be wrong but its really not designed to hit the corners hard but refined for comfort with some cool tech toys and a conservative external look. If you're looking for something "tossable" at this size I suspect you'll have to move to the M550 or even the M5. At this price point, I would look at the M3 if I needed fun on the corners with 4 doors.

BTW, your rant is always appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I believe that BMW is coming out with a four door 2 series. That might meet your needs.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:22 AM   #11
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

I have not driven older 5 Series but G30's steering wheel is the best among the cars I have ever driven only 7 Series can beat it for sake of beating
The car is very safe per se my G30 xDRive don't allow me to wiggle a tail when making sharp turns ,does it spoil the enjoyment and fun factor ?
Yes but I prefer this safe play
If you want a fun car to drive you should be driving an i8 , trust me that car would make me giggle but that's it
      10-12-2017, 12:37 AM   #12
ksa
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage & others

I've been watching a lot of 540 videos on youtube and most reviews commend it on the steering feel and the fact that it's still fun to drive when considering the shape and size. I am potentially considering it as the next vehicle. Kind of worrisome to read a review such as yours cause the last thing I want coming from a couple of M3's to a 440 and already feeling that I've lost a lot of that steering feel to going to a 540 where it's potentially even worse. Hell between my first M3 (E92) and second (F80), I had a E70 X5M which didn't do it for me even after I lowered it on H&R springs when it came to corners etc. I guess I gotta think hard before picking up a 540....maybe going the M4 or M3 route again would be a better option. AWD M5 is super enticing as well as big of a vehicle that is.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:44 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

only way to be sure is to try it out and see what you think.
I personally think its ok but does feel artificial (difficult to put my finger on whay exactly) and is in my opinion too light at slow speeds although it does weight up as the spèed increases.
I prefer the steering set to sport ie heavy in ecopro and sport modes but that doesnt give it more feel though.

I wonder if the steering in the M5 is any different and if so is that purely down to software?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 12:55 AM   #14
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Agree with most of these posts, my G30 is great but certainly not entirely suitable for flinging around bends.

"Sport" mode does make a big diffeernce, but even there steering feedback is largely missing.
      10-12-2017, 05:46 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkiller View Post
The new 5-series is really a luxury executive car with the appropriate amount of power -- depending on what works for you. I might be wrong but its really not designed to hit the corners hard but refined for comfort with some cool tech toys and a conservative external look.
We use the term 'executive segment' over here in the UK. 5-series sits right there in the middle, deliberately so.

Having come from an era when cars were much smaller, lighter and more nimble, are latest cars are big, heavy and much more refined, blunting the feelings we used to get from the typical BMW. It is hardly surprising the OP and others may have issues with the latest cars.

The Fives are now bigger and heavier than the Sevens my father used to drive. I remember at the time saying his car was too big and heavy to be sporty. Now we see that in the Three vs. Five comparison.

Just yesterday I parked nose to nose with an E39. Emphasises how much bigger the 5-series has become in three generations. The E39 looked small. Even the F3x 3/4 series are virtually as big as the E39.

Even in E39 days, many BMW drivers said it was too big and heavy to be the sporty choice. The E46 filled that part of the market. Look how small a E46 appears today.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #16
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

I share your frustration. I was excited to replace my 528i with a 530i or 540i, but after a couple of test drives and a lot of reading I am less enthusiastic. I had an A4 rental last week and now I am shifting my focus to an A5 Sportback. The A4 was more fun to drive than my 528i or my previous F30 328i, even in SilverCar's rental spec. The only drawbacks are less intuitive ergonomics (though the digital cockpit makes up for that), no auto brake hold (stupid Audi decision for U.S. market!), and unfavorable lease rates (though BMW's are not so attractive anymore either). I guess I really want a 3-series with the G30 interior, but that is a way off.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #17
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F10, 19 xm40i, 24 x7

Garage List
  [10.00]
Quote:
to correct the issues of the F10
What was wrong with F10?
      10-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa View Post
I've been watching a lot of 540 videos on youtube and most reviews commend it on the steering feel and the fact that it's still fun to drive when considering the shape and size. I am potentially considering it as the next vehicle. Kind of worrisome to read a review such as yours cause the last thing I want coming from a couple of M3's to a 440 and already feeling that I've lost a lot of that steering feel to going to a 540 where it's potentially even worse. Hell between my first M3 (E92) and second (F80), I had a E70 X5M which didn't do it for me even after I lowered it on H&R springs when it came to corners etc. I guess I gotta think hard before picking up a 540....maybe going the M4 or M3 route again would be a better option. AWD M5 is super enticing as well as big of a vehicle that is.
The steering feel is not bad for electric, it's one of the best electric BMW racks I have driven. It's still a far cry from BMW's of old though.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #19
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Wait for the 2019 G20 M340i with a 6-Speed Manual Transmission. Steering feel in that car still won't be great, but it'll be lighter than the F30, more nimble, more fun to throw around in the corners, have better amenities than the F30 and closer to the G30 in terms of technology options, and it will have 4 doors to boot. Either that or wait until next year and get an F90 M5 that'll blow your socks off, although steering feel will still not be great either. Lol! Or as a last resort, buy yourself a used F10 M5 and mod the crap out of it like I did. Lol! I do miss the lightness and driving dynamics of the E60 but man the F10 M5 handles so well for being so big and heavy, it's really a treat to throw into corners! But seriously, I think the next G20 M340i is going to be good, especially with a 6MT option. Otherwise I agree, the base G30 530i, 540i are boring comfortable and tech laden people movers, but to be honest, I'd still rather get a 540i for $60k USD than a fully loaded Tesla Model 3 for $60k USD.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #20
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

The G20 M340i should be good, but 2019 will be a first model year car, which almost certainly means having to deal with issues, and who wants to do that...

A good alternative would be the Audi S4. The only things I don't like about it are the cruise control stalk, and the lack of Auto Hold in North America (why??) The G20 will have steering wheel controls for cruise control, and it's likely to have Auto Hold.

Other than those relatively minor things, I don't see a reason not to go with the S4.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

same boat as you. ended up ordering a M3 in 6spd manual. and to be honest the rear legroom is not much worse than a 5 series
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #22
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

M3 Competition if you want to have some driving fun!
Appreciate 0