BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 2020 M550i valuation

02-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #1
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

2020 M550i valuation

I recently sold my car and although I don't need a car I am wanting to replace it. I have scoured the forum and considered other options even new but the M550i will satisfy me based on my driving habits.
I do not want new and am looking at a CPO 550i. 2018 price wise looks good but not much left on what can be used for CPO. A 2020 is ideal based on upgraded engine and technology. Pricing right now is in the low to mid 60k range but I was hoping to be in the mid 50's which is where 19 are now. Does anyone think they will come down anytime soon? 55 to 58k is my sweet spot. Any advice would be appreciated.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 04:04 AM   #2
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
I recently sold my car and although I don't need a car I am wanting to replace it. I have scoured the forum and considered other options even new but the M550i will satisfy me based on my driving habits.
I do not want new and am looking at a CPO 550i. 2018 price wise looks good but not much left on what can be used for CPO. A 2020 is ideal based on upgraded engine and technology. Pricing right now is in the low to mid 60k range but I was hoping to be in the mid 50's which is where 19 are now. Does anyone think they will come down anytime soon? 55 to 58k is my sweet spot. Any advice would be appreciated.
Quote:
Why not lease a 21'?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:01 AM   #3
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarReady View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Why not lease a 21'?
I've only leased once and did not care for it. I have and am still considering but I have always bought CPO. I typically keep my cars for a while and always think leasing is for the rich and people who own a business.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
waqiidepp
WaqiiDepp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07%E2%80%99 328xi coupe, 12%E2

Why not a 2018 ?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:58 PM   #5
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waqiidepp View Post
Why not a 2018 ?
I am looking to purchase in late summer so my thought is I will be close to the end of of CPO warranty running out. Also the 20 has newer tech and most updated engine. That's not saying I won't get a 18 or 19.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:18 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Prices on used change frequently, typically in one direction, down! Keep an eye on the market. As we get closer to 2022 production, 2020 prices will drop even more quickly.
      02-25-2021, 08:18 AM   #7
waqiidepp
WaqiiDepp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07%E2%80%99 328xi coupe, 12%E2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waqiidepp View Post
Why not a 2018 ?
I am looking to purchase in late summer so my thought is I will be close to the end of of CPO warranty running out. Also the 20 has newer tech and most updated engine. That's not saying I won't get a 18 or 19.
The engine got upgraded is 2020 ? I didn't know that. Did 2018 had major problems ? I am looking at 2018s because of my budget and debating if I should go CPO or not
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #8
bummedic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i and '18 430xi GC

I bought a 2018 MY back in November with 30K miles and pretty much every option and an MSRP of just over $92K for just under $60K with a two-year CPO inspection and services so I would have a total of 6 years/unlimited miles coverage. During the CPO inspection, they appear to have replaced 3 wheels, put on a new set of Pilot SS, serviced the vehicle, flushed and refilled the brake fluid, touched up some body/bumper spots, and other items. For sure, they spent way more on CPOing the vehicle than what I paid them to have it done. So that was a pleasant surprise.

As for MY18 vs the LCI or newer models, I can't say that I'm missing the extra HP to go from 0-60 in 3.8s/3.9s to 3.6s. It drives like an absolute beast, and I love that it's not all in-your-face, but much more of a sleeper. I don't personally feel the need to spend a bunch more $$$ to tune it or make it louder (again, the subtleness of it all is something I really enjoy). I don't need to wake up my neighbors nor do I have anything to prove to anyone else on the road. I comfortably drove home today in 75 degree sunny weather with my windows down and my sunroof open and in sport mode while averaging > 24mpg. I average between 24-25 mph in mixed, but mostly highway style/speed driving.

To each his own, but you can get '18-19' CPOs for pretty good prices, but usually have to act fast before someone else scoops them up, and you can have them certify for a 2nd year of CPO. I also like the options packages of the pre-LCI, as it looks like they've done away with some things. They also went to an all-digital cluster, and personally, I like having manual readouts. About the only thing I wish mine had of all of the improvements is the bigger infotainment LCD.

Good luck!
2018 M550i xDrive | Mediterranean Blue | Black Nappa | Individual Piano Black | 668M with Pilot SS | Cold weather | Driving assist/plus | Dynamic handling | Executive | Luxury seating | Parking assist | Rear shades | Bowers & Wilkins | CarPlay/Gesture/DDC; 2018 430i xDrive Gran Coupe | Carbon Black | Black Dakota | M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #9
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummedic View Post
I bought a 2018 MY back in November with 30K miles and pretty much every option and an MSRP of just over $92K for just under $60K with a two-year CPO inspection and services so I would have a total of 6 years/unlimited miles coverage. During the CPO inspection, they appear to have replaced 3 wheels, put on a new set of Pilot SS, serviced the vehicle, flushed and refilled the brake fluid, touched up some body/bumper spots, and other items. For sure, they spent way more on CPOing the vehicle than what I paid them to have it done. So that was a pleasant surprise.

As for MY18 vs the LCI or newer models, I can't say that I'm missing the extra HP to go from 0-60 in 3.8s/3.9s to 3.6s. It drives like an absolute beast, and I love that it's not all in-your-face, but much more of a sleeper. I don't personally feel the need to spend a bunch more $$$ to tune it or make it louder (again, the subtleness of it all is something I really enjoy). I don't need to wake up my neighbors nor do I have anything to prove to anyone else on the road. I comfortably drove home today in 75 degree sunny weather with my windows down and my sunroof open and in sport mode while averaging > 24mpg. I average between 24-25 mph in mixed, but mostly highway style/speed driving.

To each his own, but you can get '18-19' CPOs for pretty good prices, but usually have to act fast before someone else scoops them up, and you can have them certify for a 2nd year of CPO. I also like the options packages of the pre-LCI, as it looks like they've done away with some things. They also went to an all-digital cluster, and personally, I like having manual readouts. About the only thing I wish mine had of all of the improvements is the bigger infotainment LCD.

Good luck!
Thanks for the response... I believe that's the way I will go. I don't want to be over 60k and if so, I might as well lease and don't want that. I am in no hurry and have other cars to drive so it will not be a rush decision.
04 BMW X5
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 06:30 AM   #10
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
Thanks for the response... I believe that's the way I will go. I don't want to be over 60k and if so, I might as well lease and don't want that. I am in no hurry and have other cars to drive so it will not be a rush decision.
You can find clean well optioned '18 models in the mid to high 40's.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 01:30 AM   #11
sandwi54
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: G07, F90

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
Last august I bought my wife an 18 CPO with a MSRP of 93k, very loaded, for 50.5k. I think that was a fantastic deal at that time, especially when used car prices were soaring last summer. Now you should be able to find similar 18s for less than 50k.
      03-21-2021, 02:08 AM   #12
23109VC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwi54 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck!
Last august I bought my wife an 18 CPO with a MSRP of 93k, very loaded, for 50.5k. I think that was a fantastic deal at that time, especially when used car prices were soaring last summer. Now you should be able to find similar 18s for less than 50k.
I just picked up a certified preowned 2018 with lots of options including drivers assist, drivers assist plus, Cold weather package, luxury seating package, nappa leather, 20" 668m's, leather dash, alcantara headliner, piano black trim. I don't have the window sticker but I'm estimating the MSRP was 86 or 87.

The car had 30,000 miles on it and I got it for 46,500. It's spotless / immaculate.

I looked at quite a few cars and several of them were not so clean.

The lowest mileage 2018 I came across was a super low mileage car it had 4,000 mikes in it... yes.. 4,000. lots of options too including Bowers and Wilkins sound system, 668'ms. MSRP was probably mid 80s and they wanted 55,000 for it given the mileage.
Appreciate 0