BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Dashborad plastics crackings and squeakings

07-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #89
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
ah ty mate I will try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorboat411 View Post
No offense, but you should read the manual. There is so much information and hidden features that even most experienced BMW drivers don't know about.

E.g. if you have Auto-Start-Stop enabled and you come to a stop at a traffic light, engine shuts off but then the car in front of you moves ahead a bit, so you lift of the brake, move a bit and then stop - now the engine won't stop. However, if you press harder on the brake pedal, it will
Yeye I know but I got my car only 2 days after heavy long time of waiting.. So I am driving, I had e91 but it didnt have almost any eq so I know just basic things of BMW
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #90
Shakespere
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 530D xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto71 View Post
I think this is just what happens with new cars. I got a 430d GC in January 2016 and during the summer last year, there were a few rattles from the cabin that developed. I was going to apply the old Sonax Gummi Pfleger to the window frames as others had mentioned the windows rattling. But I didn't and the rattles etc disappeared and nothing this summer either. I think these new cars genuinely have to settle down and let the glues and plastics expand and settle.

I'll change to a 530d when my PCP is up and will have no hesitation in doing so. Only worry for me are these stories about the AirCon. The AirCon in my car is bloddy awesome so I hope BMW sort this out.
I switched from F10 2014 520d xdrive to G30 530D Xdrive. In the old car I had to keeep my AC at 19 in summers. With G30 I have to keep it 20.5 or 21 and minimal blower or it's too cold for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 04:40 AM   #91
CryptoManiac
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW 520d Touring G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Reading instruction manuals do my head in. I think this is why a lot of people just ask questions on forums!
The only manuals I ever read are the manuals that come with a new car (certainly if you switch brands). You would be surprised of the number of small features you discover...I only read the "controls" sections, not all the maintenance and repair guides, they are there for consulting when the problem actually occurs (pretty much never).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:42 AM   #92
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptoManiac View Post
The only manuals I ever read are the manuals that come with a new car (certainly if you switch brands). You would be surprised of the number of small features you discover...I only read the "controls" sections, not all the maintenance and repair guides, they are there for consulting when the problem actually occurs (pretty much never).
Yeah I know. Knowing what I should do vs what I want to do are two very different things. I mean, I knew eating that cheese cake last night was a bad idea but I still did. 😂
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 03:02 PM   #93
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Evening guys. So...

My dash is cracking when I turn on an AC and also cracks when I hit a speed bump - hope it dissapear after some time.

My another problem with cracking/clicking is in drivers door. Something vibrates inside/clicks inside everytime I dont drive on absolutely smooth road.. It is annoying.
I recognized this after few minutes after driving the car from saloon but thought it will be ok after some kms. Now I got 950km driven and it went worse and makes more noise.

If I put down the window (as maximum is possible) the sound dissapear..

Any tips ? Ofc I will put it in service (with broken H&K speaker in rear right door) but I hope these things will be last "bad ones" I find on my car
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #94
HMN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5MC LCI, 2017 F86 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
I dont own a g30 but this seems awfully familiar, and now I know what those noises are.
2017 F86 X6M - Donington Grey
2024 F95 X5M Comp LCI - Isle of Man Green
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #95
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Evening guys. So...

My dash is cracking when I turn on an AC and also cracks when I hit a speed bump - hope it dissapear after some time.

My another problem with cracking/clicking is in drivers door. Something vibrates inside/clicks inside everytime I dont drive on absolutely smooth road.. It is annoying.
I recognized this after few minutes after driving the car from saloon but thought it will be ok after some kms. Now I got 950km driven and it went worse and makes more noise.

If I put down the window (as maximum is possible) the sound dissapear..

Any tips ? Ofc I will put it in service (with broken H&K speaker in rear right door) but I hope these things will be last "bad ones" I find on my car

This could potentially be the door seals, the rubber bits. Had this issue on my E39 and Current F10. the fix is to apply gummipledge (Think that is the right spelling). It's basically just the rubber rubbing against the metal as the body twists and noticeable over bumps. once applied last for a couple of years in my experience. Don't apply any polish or silicon to the metal where the rubber seal meet or it can make it worse.

As I say saw this before and same for me if thewindow is lowered just slightly, the issue goes away. Agree very annoying and no doubt very noticeable on such a quiet car.
BMW used to sell this , not sure they do now though, the stuff I have is badged by them but have found some here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pfleg.../dp/B007TNOQDI

If it is this issue, that should sort it. worked for me on the E39 and F10.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #96
BiGFather
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
This could potentially be the door seals, the rubber bits. Had this issue on my E39 and Current F10. the fix is to apply gummipledge (Think that is the right spelling). It's basically just the rubber rubbing against the metal as the body twists and noticeable over bumps. once applied last for a couple of years in my experience. Don't apply any polish or silicon to the metal where the rubber seal meet or it can make it worse.

As I say saw this before and same for me if thewindow is lowered just slightly, the issue goes away. Agree very annoying and no doubt very noticeable on such a quiet car.
BMW used to sell this , not sure they do now though, the stuff I have is badged by them but have found some here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gummi-Pfleg.../dp/B007TNOQDI

If it is this issue, that should sort it. worked for me on the E39 and F10.
Hello. Thank you very much for the reply well I sent and email plus video to serviceman in BMW so I hope they will know what to do - u know, warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #97
Roberto71
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB E220d

Quote:
Hello. Thank you very much for the reply well I sent and email plus video to serviceman in BMW so I hope they will know what to do - u know, warranty
Carbaflo works well also.

https://www.leebmann24.de/gleitmitte...230309627.html
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #98
cvk81
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E SPORT 2018

The cracking sound as discussed, i guess it's due to the weak material used for the interior glossy trim. my 530E has this cracking noise which i surmise is most probably due to the contortion due to the heat expansion and cold shrinkage of the trim. my friend's BMW318 which has a more solid interior trim doesnt have this sound at all. Im thinking of replacing the default black glossy trim with carbon fiber trim. Do you guys think it is a good idea ??
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #99
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvk81 View Post
The cracking sound as discussed, i guess it's due to the weak material used for the interior glossy trim. my 530E has this cracking noise which i surmise is most probably due to the contortion due to the heat expansion and cold shrinkage of the trim. my friend's BMW318 which has a more solid interior trim doesnt have this sound at all. Im thinking of replacing the default black glossy trim with carbon fiber trim. Do you guys think it is a good idea ??
Quote:
Bad idea. It has nothing to do with the trim but actually with the prongs that allow said trim to attach to the dashboard structure. You are not accomplishing anything by swapping trim. In fact you may make the problem worse.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 12:56 AM   #100
cvk81
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E SPORT 2018

Any recommendation on how to resolve this cracking noise ?? I wrote to BMW Voice Malaysia about a month ago, and as of now they have yet to revert to me..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 03:08 PM   #101
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Any recommendation on how to resolve this cracking noise ?? I wrote to BMW Voice Malaysia about a month ago, and as of now they have yet to revert to me..
Quote:
I am not sure they can do anything for you short of inserting felt tape all over the dashboard. Do you really want the dealer to take apart your dash and create more problems??

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:08 AM   #102
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
Hello,

My '18 540iX is starting to make consistent cracking noises every now and then (quite often, perhaps 3-4 times an hour from the central dash.

The noise is quite specific - its two high-pitched pops in a very short duratiion from each other. The closest I can describe it is as dirt on vinyl records (millennials are bound to be dumbfounded here or perhaps static pops through an audio chain.

This has got me thinking - since the pops are so consistent and high-pitched, perhaps I'm hearing something in the audio-chain. Some static or amplifier overdrive or similar - it comes from where the central B&W speaker is located, just behind the Idrive.

I will try to make a recording of it and post here. Do any of you guys recognize it? It is NOT a typical door-trim squeak and it comes centrally, it's either the trim where the Idrive meets the rest of the dash or the central speaker.

Didn't the 7 series have a problem with the audio, where amps blew after a series of high-pitched pops?

Are we missing something?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #103
hms@b
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 540i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap-xpilot View Post
Hello,

My '18 540iX is starting to make consistent cracking noises every now and then (quite often, perhaps 3-4 times an hour from the central dash.

The noise is quite specific - its two high-pitched pops in a very short duratiion from each other. The closest I can describe it is as dirt on vinyl records (millennials are bound to be dumbfounded here or perhaps static pops through an audio chain.

This has got me thinking - since the pops are so consistent and high-pitched, perhaps I'm hearing something in the audio-chain. Some static or amplifier overdrive or similar - it comes from where the central B&W speaker is located, just behind the Idrive.

I will try to make a recording of it and post here. Do any of you guys recognize it? It is NOT a typical door-trim squeak and it comes centrally, it's either the trim where the Idrive meets the rest of the dash or the central speaker.

Didn't the 7 series have a problem with the audio, where amps blew after a series of high-pitched pops?

Quote:
Hello,

The noise is quite specific - its two high-pitched pops in a very short duratiion from each other. The closest I can describe it is as dirt on vinyl records (millennials are bound to be dumbfounded here
I hear exactly the same sound on my 540i, could not describe it better. My dealer replaced the plastic speaker grill for the central HK speaker, didn't solve the problem. In addition to Zap-xpilot description, I can also hear the two pops a few seconds after startup, when the rpm gauge 'drops' (at about 1000 rpm). Thoughts? This has been bothering me for a while.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #104
Zap-xpilot
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 ZCP 2017, 540ix 18 G31

Garage List
So, I've finally managed to record the sound I am hearing - I am taking my car in for service in a week's time and I wanted to record the cracks clearly for the benefit of the service personnel..

This is what I hear: 2 quick cracks in succession

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #105
Bogdan550
Romania
Rep
Drives: M550D

Quote:
Hello,

Quote:
Hello,

I'm having the same problem with my '17 G30 and after testing different situations I can say that the 2 quick cracks are not coming from the audio-chain. If you turn off the automatic AC you will notice that the cracking noise will not be there.

So it's something related to the central plastic grill and AC, but it's hard to tell what is the source of this annoying noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 08:57 AM   #106
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
I have not seen G11 7 Series have been a case of affliction by such a pesky noise . They must be better built than G30 5 Series .
Hey Munich , we have got a problem
Nope, my 750 has been back and forth to the dealer to fix incessant noises coming from the dash. Completely unacceptable in a new G30, but borderline criminal in a $120K+ G12.
      02-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #107
turbobeagle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Nope, my 750 has been back and forth to the dealer to fix incessant noises coming from the dash. Completely unacceptable in a new G30, but borderline criminal in a $120K+ G12.
I am curious: Do dealers treat you better if you have the top-end flagship vehicle? I hate all the "cannot reproduce" games that dealers play, and I've always wondered if folks who drop serious (> $100k) money on cars get better treatment at the service department.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 05:24 AM   #108
Beta Driver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G30

Quote:
So, I've finally managed to record the sound I am hearing - I am taking my car in for service in a week's time and I wanted to record the cracks clearly for the benefit of the service personnel..

This is what I hear: 2 quick cracks in succession

...so have you found any remedy besides turning off ionic?
I can hear the same annoying noise in my 17’.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #109
Rookie123
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xdrive

Hey guys, I have the same problem

Please post if anyone has found the exact cause or solution. Would be great
Appreciate 0