BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Squeaks/Rattles/Creaks...ugh

06-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i M sport

Squeaks/Rattles/Creaks...ugh

For whatever reason, out of all the cars I've had the past 7-8 years, 2 GS350 F-Sports and 1 Q50 Red Sport, I've never had a car that has not presented rattles from the interior, even though I've had friends that have had the same cars that seem bank vault quiet anytime I would ride in the car.

My 2019 M550i was definitely quiet for the first few thousand miles, but the squeaks/rattles/creaks are starting to make way into the interior, and I feel it's getting worst every time I drive it.

I'll admit I am only basing this off road imperfections, such as nasty bumps, and shifts in the concrete, etc, but still I expected the car to be quieter.

Here are the trouble spots.

1) Front passenger door rattle from the arm rest - this is solved by opening door again and slamming it hard. (this is the biggest issue)
2) somewhere in the rear passenger door
3) Occasionally get something from the rear driver side passenger as well.
4) front dash by the a-pillar
5) somewhere from under the front passenger seat. This one was actually there almost immediately after I got the car. It's a very faint tick sound.

What's also annoying is the creaks/pops from when the car is parked under the sun while at work - I can be at a stoplight not moving and I just get random popping and creaking noises from the dash. (I believe this may be a common issue as there is that "POPPING" thread that has a lot of replies).

I don't really think this is something the dealer can fix, because it's not coming from an exact area - all they will do is open the door panel, put it back which i'm sure will present more issues. With music on it's not as noticeable..

End rant - I'm sure 99% of you guys here have a "bank vault/whisper quiet" G30 5-series..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

Does your car have the sunshades in the rear? I remember seeing someone that those are the cause of a lot of rattles (the 4 manual ones on the doors). When retracted, there isn't any soft material to keep them quiet so they rattle a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #3
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
Does your car have the sunshades in the rear? I remember seeing someone that those are the cause of a lot of rattles (the 4 manual ones on the doors). When retracted, there isn't any soft material to keep them quiet so they rattle a lot.
yup. To be honest it doesn't seem like it's coming from there, and I noticed the tab that you pull for the sunshades is somewhat of a softer material so don't think it's that.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post
For whatever reason, out of all the cars I've had the past 7-8 years, 2 GS350 F-Sports and 1 Q50 Red Sport, I've never had a car that has not presented rattles from the interior, even though I've had friends that have had the same cars that seem bank vault quiet anytime I would ride in the car.

My 2019 M550i was definitely quiet for the first few thousand miles, but the squeaks/rattles/creaks are starting to make way into the interior, and I feel it's getting worst every time I drive it.

I'll admit I am only basing this off road imperfections, such as nasty bumps, and shifts in the concrete, etc, but still I expected the car to be quieter.

1) Front passenger door rattle from the arm rest - this is solved by opening door again and slamming it hard. (this is the biggest issue)
5) somewhere from under the front passenger seat. This one was actually there almost immediately after I got the car. It's a very faint tick sound.

What's also annoying is the creaks/pops from when the car is parked under the sun while at work - I can be at a stoplight not moving and I just get random popping and creaking noises from the dash. (I believe this may be a common issue as there is that "POPPING" thread that has a lot of replies).

I don't really think this is something the dealer can fix, because it's not coming from an exact area - all they will do is open the door panel, put it back which i'm sure will present more issues. With music on it's not as noticeable..

End rant - I'm sure 99% of you guys here have a "bank vault/whisper quiet" G30 5-series..
Quote:

My car creaks when sunroof visor is open. My 7 year old even noticed it. Fix, i never open the visor. Rear rattles also and passanger front rattle is seatbelt hitting.

I wonder if all these rattles are result of all the aluminum they use in this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
My car creaks when sunroof visor is open. My 7 year old even noticed it. Fix, i never open the visor. Rear rattles also and passanger front rattle is seatbelt hitting.

I wonder if all these rattles are result of all the aluminum they use in this car.
it could be. forgot to mention even when i go on driveways, the chassis flex creates a squeak sound. Never experienced that in my previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, M5's, 535.335, M550i

Garage List
My steering column cracks as wheel goes down when I get in the car, I have 1600 miles on my M550.
BMW is real solid car, I have had 4 in past 6 years from M3's to f10 535's, f10 M5 and this one. Yeah I don't like the column crackeling as it does, but try driving a dodge hellcat or anything other than a German car. Buddy's hellcat had 8 miles when he began getting multiple rattles, knobs fade within a yr and just bad experience with workmanship all around.
2019 M550 686BK Black Chrome 20"wheels, filters, Evolve Stage 1, Res delete
2024 i5 M60 Cape York Green
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #7
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Quote:

MY G30 530d SE has 1 & 5 but not the others (yet), but then I've only had it 9 months/13,000 miles. I cannot cure 1 by slamming the door though. To some extent it is temperature dependent, worse when it's colder. Both disappear on smooth roads, but we don't have many of those in the UK, unlike Germany, where they are all billiard-table smooth. At least the HK stereo can drown them out...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

No creaks EXCEPT the passenger seat belt hitting against the pillar when not in use.
      06-06-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

I am actually going to fasten the passenger seat belt to see if any of it goes away.

My colleague had a f10 5 series and everything I got a ride in it, i always thought man this thing is so quiet and rattle free, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I have not noticed any creaks but my G30 is only 16 months old. I do have the shades.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #11
dhruvgarg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C400

I've never owned a BMW (about to buy one soon) but I had similar issues in my Mercedes C400 (had a very stiff ride, stiffer than F30 M-sport). I switched from runflats to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s non-runflats, and that literally eliminated all the annoying creaks and rattles on bumpy roads. The stiff sidewalls of runflats do mess up the interior over time. I will buy new with non-run flats.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #12
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddyDaddy View Post
My steering column cracks as wheel goes down when I get in the car, I have 1600 miles on my M550.
BMW is real solid car, I have had 4 in past 6 years from M3's to f10 535's, f10 M5 and this one. Yeah I don't like the column crackeling as it does, but try driving a dodge hellcat or anything other than a German car. Buddy's hellcat had 8 miles when he began getting multiple rattles, knobs fade within a yr and just bad experience with workmanship all around.
Quote:
I had sane problem. They tried lubing it, still sounded like death. Ended up replacing my steering column. I got a free alignment out of the deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #13
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had sane problem. They tried lubing it, still sounded like death. Ended up replacing my steering column. I got a free alignment out of the deal.
Interesting! I'll mention it with my AC seats not feeling like they work like my last car
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #14
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting! I'll mention it with my AC seats not feeling like they work like my last car
Thanks
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks
Ac seats suck. It's not your car. My wife lexus is true ac seat, this is just another noise maker as you hear fan and it barely foes anything
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #15
AddyDaddy
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I swear I can feel it in my brothers M750 and felt it in my M5. 99% more than this car. I keep putting it on hoping I'll feel it and not just hear the fan lol
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #16
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

I get a bit of cracking/creaking from the top of the wood trim strip on the dash (just below the infotainment screen) when the temperature changes. You can push on it to make it crackle a few times before it settles down and goes silent again. I guess its just temperature differential in the materials that join up in that section. Other than that the car has been pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 01:34 AM   #17
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
I am actually going to fasten the passenger seat belt to see if any of it goes away.

My colleague had a f10 5 series and everything I got a ride in it, i always thought man this thing is so quiet and rattle free, lol.
Yep. My 8 year old F10 is still rattle free. The body frame is still amazingly stiff. I think the g30 has better noise insulation though.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #18
farsider3000
Rep
Drives: Waiting to buy 2020 M550i

Damn it sounds like the 5 series is a bag of bolts. My old 335i was very quiet with no rattles and my Toyota 4 Runner is super creak and squeak free after five years of driving it hard.

Should I rethink my planned M550i purchase in 2020 when the LCI hits.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #19
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
Damn it sounds like the 5 series is a bag of bolts. My old 335i was very quiet with no rattles and my Toyota 4 Runner is super creak and squeak free after five years of driving it hard.

Not a chance, buy it. Dealer will sort any issues. I’ve had 2 g30’s. Both as quite as a mouse. Many variables involved into why some have. Freaks and some don’t. The 550i is an awesome vehicle esp the newer 2020.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #20
modthispny
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Yea don't mean to scare you away. Like I said every car I've had has had rattles while my friends with the same cars have been rattle free.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 12:19 AM   #21
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

I have had my car for two years. Rattles only above 150kmh

I cannot figure out where it is coming from, somewhere behind or under the passenger seat or around rear seat

Other than this there is no rattle/squeak

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:30 AM   #22
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
If you believe a sample size of likely less than .00001% of presumed G30 owners. Drive the car, drive a used one. It is quite, well made and is tight as a drum. If you are rethinking the purchase due to a handful of posts here, maybe you are not sure if this is the car for you anyway?