BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Order placed.. how long?

02-19-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 550ix M-SPORT

Order placed.. how long?

I placed my order for a 21' m550i 3 weeks ago and spoke with dealer 2 days ago and still no production date about how long does it take to get into production?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #2
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Your dealer has an allocation problem which he apparently has not shared with you. Dealers get allocations of cars from BMW and when you order they need to use one of those allocations for your car. When a dealer doesn't have an allocation, and doesn't want to lose a sale, they pretend you can order and then delay you and delay you.

Ask your dealer if he has one and if he says he does, ask to see it. I strongly doubt he has one.

I gather you are on Long Island; There are probably several other BMW dealers on the Island. You can try one of them.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #3
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

How long can depend on the allocation for a build slot your dealership had for the model ordered. This info can be revised/updated if there are delays at the production facility.

To start, learn the BMW Genius phone number. 1.844.4GENIUS (443-6487) BMW Genius has access to the same information as your dealership and is invaluable in helping you get your status. Initially your order will probably be status code 111 within a day of ordering. Then once it's closer to production it will move to status 112, scheduled for production pack. Then, status 150. When you start production (status 150) you'll be able to get your VIN number.

You can also track your car using the My BMW site with your production order number, and the automated 1800 number, but both tend to be several days behind and out of date. https://www.bmwusa.com/secured/content/forms/login.aspx For the 800 number, call 1800-831-1117, option 2, then say "vehicle production status". Note: Do not be concerned if you enter your production order number into the My BMW site and it shows the wrong colors/options. That is normal and will update much later in the process.

Here is a list of common status codes and their meanings:
0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
**** Up to this point you can still make changes to the car such as options, colors, etc. However, once the car goes to status 150, you cannot make any changes since the car is now in production!
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 Schedule for Carrier
190 In transit to port of exit
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
196 Shipment Arrival at destination port?

General Timeline of Events

The first thing I want to mention is that the start time of your car being built is completely determined by the build week attached to your allocation. It doesn't matter when you placed the order! BMW dealers can request an earlier production week, but I have yet to see any requests granted in that regard so far. Also of special note, Individual options (such as special interior color or paint color) will always delay your build by weeks or even months, so be prepared. Please note that the timeline below is for US delivery Priority 1 vehicles. ED vehicles may see additional delays at port/vpc.

The second thing I want to mention is that your build week is actually the week your car is scheduled to FINISH production. So, it should start production a week or two before the build week.

Lastly, the timelines below are general, if everything goes as planned. There could always be delays if you get stuck in customs, or if your vehicle had some damage during shipping (repaired at VPC), etc.

-Build start (150) to build finish (155): 1-2 weeks.
-Build finish (155) to Scheduled for Carrier (182): 1 day.
-Status 182 to 190 (on a train to bremerhaven):1-3 days.
-Status 190 to 193 (at port awaiting a ship): 1-2 days.
-Status 193 to 195 (on a ship): 3-5 days for east coast delivery, 5-12 days for west coast delivery, Hawaii customer cars catch a second ship after West Coast VPC and this adds 1 to 3 weeks depending on ship schedules and availability.
-Shipping time from Bremerhaven to East Coast: 12-17 days depending on the number of stops.
-Shipping time from Bremerhaven to West Coast: About 30 days.
-Offload at port: 1 day
-Processing through customs: 1-2 days
-Process through BMW Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) and onto a carrier: 2-5 days.
-Shipping time on carrier to Dealership: 1-4 days (for US Mainland).
      02-19-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarReady View Post
I placed my order for a 21' m550i 3 weeks ago and spoke with dealer 2 days ago and still no production date about how long does it take to get into production?
Here is my current timeline. Hope this helps!

December 30th: Ordered At Dealership.
January 4th: Order Received.
January 6th: Production Scheduled.
January 25th: Production Begins.
February 2nd: Exterior Body Assembly Begins.
February 2nd (Later in the day): In The Paint Booth.
February 4th (My birthday!): Entering Assembly Line.
February 4th (Later in the day): Assembly In Progress.
February 4th (Later in the day): Quality Check.
February 5th: Final Assembly.
February 5th (Later in the day): Ready For Transport.
February 5th (Later in the day): Awaiting Carrier Assignment.
February 5th (Later in the day): Dispatched From Factory.
February 8th: At The Port
      02-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Great information in this thread!

SteveInArizona is spot on! If your dealer can't give you a date then they are dancing around having an allocation. When I ordered my car the dealer gave me an accurate estimate when I ordered on when they would have the car. They were spot on!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 01:44 AM   #6
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Great information in this thread!

SteveInArizona is spot on! If your dealer can't give you a date then they are dancing around having an allocation. When I ordered my car the dealer gave me an accurate estimate when I ordered on when they would have the car. They were spot on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiSteve View Post
How long can depend on the allocation for a build slot your dealership had for the model ordered. This info can be revised/updated if there are delays at the production facility.

To start, learn the BMW Genius phone number. 1.844.4GENIUS (443-6487) BMW Genius has access to the same information as your dealership and is invaluable in helping you get your status. Initially your order will probably be status code 111 within a day of ordering. Then once it's closer to production it will move to status 112, scheduled for production pack. Then, status 150. When you start production (status 150) you'll be able to get your VIN number.

You can also track your car using the My BMW site with your production order number, and the automated 1800 number, but both tend to be several days behind and out of date. https://www.bmwusa.com/secured/content/forms/login.aspx For the 800 number, call 1800-831-1117, option 2, then say "vehicle production status". Note: Do not be concerned if you enter your production order number into the My BMW site and it shows the wrong colors/options. That is normal and will update much later in the process.

Here is a list of common status codes and their meanings:
0 Order deleted by NA
17 Order not Specified
37 Order is at BMW NA
87 Production Week Assigned
97 Order sent to AG
100 Order deleted by AG
101 Error in data transmitted
102 Special Order (no Prod Week)
105 Order out of Prod. Period
111 Order Accepted at AG
112 Order scheduled for Production
**** Up to this point you can still make changes to the car such as options, colors, etc. However, once the car goes to status 150, you cannot make any changes since the car is now in production!
150 Production Started
151 Body Shop Started
152 Paint Shop Started
153 Assembly Started
155 Production Completed
160 Released to Distribution
168 AG Stock
170 Waiting Workshop
172 Planned for Workshop
174 Workshop Entry
176 Workshop Complete
180 Waiting for Export Dispatch
181 Waiting for Domestic Dispatch
182 Schedule for Carrier
190 In transit to port of exit
191 Returned to BMW AG
193 Arrived at Port of Exit
194 Selected for Shipment
195 Shipped from Port of Exit
196 Shipment Arrival at destination port?

General Timeline of Events

The first thing I want to mention is that the start time of your car being built is completely determined by the build week attached to your allocation. It doesn't matter when you placed the order! BMW dealers can request an earlier production week, but I have yet to see any requests granted in that regard so far. Also of special note, Individual options (such as special interior color or paint color) will always delay your build by weeks or even months, so be prepared. Please note that the timeline below is for US delivery Priority 1 vehicles. ED vehicles may see additional delays at port/vpc.

The second thing I want to mention is that your build week is actually the week your car is scheduled to FINISH production. So, it should start production a week or two before the build week.

Lastly, the timelines below are general, if everything goes as planned. There could always be delays if you get stuck in customs, or if your vehicle had some damage during shipping (repaired at VPC), etc.

-Build start (150) to build finish (155): 1-2 weeks.
-Build finish (155) to Scheduled for Carrier (182): 1 day.
-Status 182 to 190 (on a train to bremerhaven):1-3 days.
-Status 190 to 193 (at port awaiting a ship): 1-2 days.
-Status 193 to 195 (on a ship): 3-5 days for east coast delivery, 5-12 days for west coast delivery, Hawaii customer cars catch a second ship after West Coast VPC and this adds 1 to 3 weeks depending on ship schedules and availability.
-Shipping time from Bremerhaven to East Coast: 12-17 days depending on the number of stops.
-Shipping time from Bremerhaven to West Coast: About 30 days.
-Offload at port: 1 day
-Processing through customs: 1-2 days
-Process through BMW Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) and onto a carrier: 2-5 days.
-Shipping time on carrier to Dealership: 1-4 days (for US Mainland).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Your dealer has an allocation problem which he apparently has not shared with you. Dealers get allocations of cars from BMW and when you order they need to use one of those allocations for your car. When a dealer doesn't have an allocation, and doesn't want to lose a sale, they pretend you can order and then delay you and delay you.

Ask your dealer if he has one and if he says he does, ask to see it. I strongly doubt he has one.

I gather you are on Long Island; There are probably several other BMW dealers on the Island. You can try one of them.

Appreciate all the info, yes it feels like I'm getting the run around till March when they might have one I guess I'll call again tomorrow and ask if they have an allocation or they are waiting and if so pull my deposit and go threw someone that has one. I feel like I got a decent deal and don't think I'll get the same deal elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:28 AM   #7
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

When I ordered my car in 2019 I did so knowingly that the local dealership did not have an available allocation for a 5-series. My car remained in a "status 047- Spec Released-No Quota Available" and was tagged as "Priority 1- Sold to Customer" for about 2 months before obtaining a production slot. When my car had not moved along during that interval of time my sales associate told me he contacted someone in Germany in an effort to move things along. He had done Euro Delivery himself twice as an employee, so I assume he made some decent contacts.

My personal impression is that the allocation system is one that favors high volume dealerships in that they are granted many more allocation slots. It could possibly be improved if a car that was truly sold to customer would get more priority over high volume dealerships just refilling their lots with unsold inventory. But then you would probably have dealerships start to game the allocation system even more.

I'm sure you are anxious to get your car. I was patient during my wait because the dealership was honest about the allocation. But once I had a production number and my vehicle was locked out of any last minute changes that's when one really begins to salivate. And I fully admit I went tracking crazy- checking My Garage on the BMW website multiple times a day. And then following my car on the ship using vesselfinder.com once it left port. I was so completely over the top that I even watched my baby via webcam safely thru the Gatun Locks.

Here's some screen shots of my ship squeezing thru
Attached Images

02-20-2021, 03:26 AM   #8
WarReady
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I ordered my car in 2019 I did so knowingly that the local dealership did not have an available allocation for a 5-series. My car remained in a "status 047- Spec Released-No Quota Available" and was tagged as "Priority 1- Sold to Customer" for about 2 months before obtaining a production slot. When my car had not moved along during that interval of time my sales associate told me he contacted someone in Germany in an effort to move things along. He had done Euro Delivery himself twice as an employee, so I assume he made some decent contacts.

My personal impression is that the allocation system is one that favors high volume dealerships in that they are granted many more allocation slots. It could possibly be improved if a car that was truly sold to customer would get more priority over high volume dealerships just refilling their lots with unsold inventory. But then you would probably have dealerships start to game the allocation system even more.

I'm sure you are anxious to get your car. I was patient during my wait because the dealership was honest about the allocation. But once I had a production number and my vehicle was locked out of any last minute changes that's when one really begins to salivate. And I fully admit I went tracking crazy- checking My Garage on the BMW website multiple times a day. And then following my car on the ship using vesselfinder.com once it left port. I was so completely over the top that I even watched my baby via webcam safely thru the Gatun Locks.

Quote:

Very kool!! I hope mine moves along rather fast, I'm okay with getting it in may but I'm not willing to wait longer than that.
Appreciate 1
MauiSteve279.50
      02-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #9
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G01 X3, 2019 G30 5 Series

Quote:

It brought back memories to see the Gatun Locks. When I was in the military I spent nearly 2 years in Panama near the Miraflores Locks. It was a tight squeeze back then and the ships are much bigger now.
      02-20-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
It brought back memories to see the Gatun Locks. When I was in the military I spent nearly 2 years in Panama near the Miraflores Locks. It was a tight squeeze back then and the ships are much bigger now.
I took a Carnival cruise ship thru the Gatun Locks into lake Gatun, then back out the same way back in the mid 90's. It was pretty cool to watch the whole process from the deck. Certainly an amazing bit of construction and engineering to get those locks built so many years ago.
      02-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #11
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I took a Carnival cruise ship thru the Gatun Locks into lake Gatun, then back out the same way back in the mid 90's. It was pretty cool to watch the whole process from the deck. Certainly an amazing bit of construction and engineering to get those locks built so many years ago.
I remember reading years ago what an engineering feat it was at the time. A lot of fatalities from malaria, accidents etc. I guess the canal is functioning very well since the U.S. turned it over to Panama in the 90's(?).
      02-20-2021, 07:03 PM   #12
crypto
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in IL View Post
Quote:
I remember reading years ago what an engineering feat it was at the time. A lot of fatalities from malaria, accidents etc. I guess the canal is functioning very well since the U.S. turned it over to Panama in the 90's(?).
Someone shared this video in the ordering thread while we we waiting for our cars. It's a free documentary on YouTube about one of the big auto liner ships that transports vehicles. It starts in Antwerp and then goes to Bremerhaven. My car came over on this company (Höegh) so it was particularly fun to watch. It follows the path to how we all got our cars but it then continues on..

While it starts in Belgium.. gets to the US (Baltimore first) .. its ultimate destination is Australia. So the relevance to what you guys are talking about in particular is that they go through the Panama Canal in the video. A good chunk of the video shows and explains the lock system. It was pretty cool to watch.

The Panama Canal part starts around 30 minutes 15 second in. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #13
Bob in IL
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto View Post
Someone shared this video in the ordering thread while we we waiting for our cars. It's a free documentary on YouTube about one of the big auto liner ships that transports vehicles. It starts in Antwerp and then goes to Bremerhaven. My car came over on this company (Höegh) so it was particularly fun to watch. It follows the path to how we all got our cars but it then continues on..

While it starts in Belgium.. gets to the US (Baltimore first) .. its ultimate destination is Australia. So the relevance to what you guys are talking about in particular is that they go through the Panama Canal in the video. A good chunk of the video shows and explains the lock system. It was pretty cool to watch.

The Panama Canal part starts around 30 minutes 15 second in. Enjoy!
That was a good video. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:19 AM   #14
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Quote:

Did you ever fully complete this list with the date when it arrived at the dealership? Very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 08:56 AM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Appreciate all the info, yes it feels like I'm getting the run around till March when they might have one I guess I'll call again tomorrow and ask if they have an allocation or they are waiting and if so pull my deposit and go threw someone that has one. I feel like I got a decent deal and don't think I'll get the same deal elsewhere.
Don't pull your deposit until you first visit the other dealerships and see if they have a better solution for you. I suppose you could also check some southern Connecticut dealerships (there used to be a ferry to New London area but I have not lived in Connecticut nor NY for many years). See how you do. No harm in waiting another week or so to pull your deposit.

I ordered my car and my experience was like Logical's. But that was before the pandemic which has made car production even worse. Also, my dealer is a fairly large one and therefore probably has a number of allocated slots (I know because when I was tracking my car I tracked the deliveries from the port in California to my dealership and while I don't bother reading them anymore, I still get the emails and there are many deliveries).
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #16
Cabbage
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M550i xDrive Sedan

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
Quote:

Did you ever fully complete this list with the date when it arrived at the dealership? Very helpful!
Yup, I did complete it! Here it is:

Timeline:
(2020-2021)
February 8th: At The Port.
February 24th: In Transit. (Ship Name: Lavender Ace).
March 9th: At The Port.
March 11th: In Transit.
March 11th (Later in the day): At The Dealership.
March 15th: Vehicle Delivered.
      02-22-2022, 10:56 AM   #17
BMW012
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I did complete it! Here it is:

Timeline:
(2020-2021)
February 8th: At The Port.
February 24th: In Transit. (Ship Name: Lavender Ace).
March 9th: At The Port.
March 11th: In Transit.
March 11th (Later in the day): At The Dealership.
March 15th: Vehicle Delivered.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 01:07 PM   #18
charlessimms82
CPT
Rep
Drives: 2022 530i

Quote:
Allocations also depend on the size of the dealership. Also some folks that ordered depending on when in December they ordered had a slight delay for BMW picking it up due to the holiday. Here is my time timeline.

Ordered 12/16
Production Begin 12/19
Completed on 1/14
Departed Factory on 1/19
Arrived to Bremer on 1/23
Departed Bremer on 2/11
ETA to arrive to Baltimore Port on 3/2.
Currently have a stop sale due to RAM.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 04:44 PM   #19
mffarrell
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i Porsche 911 turbo

When I ordered my M550, my dealer didn’t have an allocation, but got one from another dealer the next day. I tracked my car through production and shipment.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 07:18 AM   #20
BMW012
Major
Rep

does anyone know if the m550i is built only in certain months? mine went from "scheduled for production" back to "ordered" once the war broke out...

or is anyone getting any rough ETA updates from their dealership?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 12:12 PM   #21
NOSNOW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BWM 530E

Have you taken a look in the "G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery" forum? There is quite a bit of about the different delay. I think the shift you seen could have been a wiring harness shortage, as they may have been coming out of Ukraine.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #22
BMW012
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSNOW View Post
Have you taken a look in the "G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery" forum? There is quite a bit of about the different delay. I think the shift you seen could have been a wiring harness shortage, as they may have been coming out of Ukraine.
Thanks very helpful! got a lot of answers from there.
Appreciate 0