BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New 530e. Comfort access yey or ney?

04-04-2018, 04:24 AM   #1
bimmermanNO
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530e (Delivery july 2018)

New 530e. Comfort access yey or ney?

So guys i have order the 530e fully loaded. The car will be ready in july.(europe model) But i have one question. I didnt order the comfort access. Is it must to have comfort access? I didnt order because it is expensive. And Im starting to regret not order comfort access. Should i pick or not? And one other thing what is the fuel economy? How many km can u drive in one tank?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 05:21 AM   #2
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Comfort access = thieves paradise
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      04-04-2018, 05:51 AM   #3
DTom
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G30

Two cars with remote access has been stolen during last 6weeks just among my friends.
- one car stolen during night in front of the house while key was at home
- one car stolen on mall parking, based on camera record car has been reopen and started when owner has been approximately 70metres from the car he locked before

it seems that technology required is very simple. I would never go with comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I would get comfort access, all other things being equal. In Arizona (USA) I love the feature of the 530e that lets me turn on the air conditioner remotely with the phone app. In your case, I assume you are looking for the reverse...turning on the heat. I don't know if you get that feature if you don't get comfort access.

In my experience miles per gallon (per kilometer for you) varies greatly depending upon whether you can plug in at home, at work, and anywhere else. I only plug in at home overnight. Doing that, and driving in adaptive mode (comfort mode with dynamic dampers) but with a bit of a lead foot I have been getting between 17 Kilometers per liter (KPL) and 24 KPL depending upon how much driving I do per day and how local it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #5
bimmermanNO
Rep

I get the app without comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw530E View Post
I get the app without comfort access.
Good to know. Then IMO it comes down to what the OP values and at what cost. I find it very useful to never have to take the key out of my pocket.

I am fairly slim so the fact that the steering wheel slides up when I enter and back down when I start the car is nice but not essential. If the OP is larger, it might be an issue although I believe that it can be coded if comfort access is not purchased.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
bimmermanNO
Rep

I decided to add comfort but the order is locked. But i think i will get a good car anyway. It is my first bmw ever. Have been driving mercedes for 10 years now. Hope bmw is betrer than mercedes 😀
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #8
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermanNO View Post
I decided to add comfort but the order is locked. But i think i will get a good car anyway. It is my first bmw ever. Have been driving mercedes for 10 years now. Hope bmw is betrer than mercedes 😀
with packages here don't think i had any option but to get it. fortunately i live in LA, the thieves probably have a nicer car than a 5 series
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #9
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Comfort Access is a useful option but I have too read some terrible stories in terms of being an easy target for car thefts .I assume BMW must be at the right side of the scale though . I have it in my car and like its convenience like easy trunk open.It's proven many times that it makes the life easier when you're hands are full of parapnerlia parawhatesoever yes I remember paraphernalia lol

It's expensive but in my case it's worth it .
      04-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #10
doctornige
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 xDrive SE; Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Well, the handbrake will be in the right place.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctornige View Post
Quote:
Well, the handbrake will be in the right place.
The foot pedal parking brake in Mercs are a real pain - could never get used to it when I had one for a weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Theft of cars with keyless access is a Big Issue here in the UK - all brands, not just BMW. For the first time, after many years of decline, car thefts are on the rise here.

I keep my keys in a RFID-shielding pouch bought off Amazon. Used a metal tin until that was delivered...

Personally, with cars now having Start buttons instead of having to turn a key to fire up, Comfort Access makes a lot of sense (no need to remove from your trousers/jacket/whatever). But like most things in life, some people are always looking to exploit for their own nefarious means...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #13
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
The foot pedal parking brake in Mercs are a real pain - could never get used to it when I had one for a weekend.
That's long gone. The current lineup all have electric parking brakes now.

MB actually has a reasonable solution against the comfort access theft risk - you can double-press your lock button on the remote and it disables comfort access until you next use the remote to unlock. I wish BMW had a similar feature. It was handy even for washing the car where the unlock/lock can trigger with the spray of the hose if you have the key nearby.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 02:19 AM   #14
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by en1gma View Post
That's long gone. The current lineup all have electric parking brakes now.

MB actually has a reasonable solution against the comfort access theft risk - you can double-press your lock button on the remote and it disables comfort access until you next use the remote to unlock. I wish BMW had a similar feature. It was handy even for washing the car where the unlock/lock can trigger with the spray of the hose if you have the key nearby.
That kinda defeats the point of comfort access. In that case, might as well not have comfort access if you are pressing the buttons anyway.
Appreciate 0