BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Car starts in "COMFORT" instead of "ADAPTIVE" - is this normal?

04-12-2018, 05:13 AM   #23
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
I don't get that. If it wasn't a mode of its own it would actually switch between comfort and sport. But in my sport mode the throttle response is sharper and my seat side boosters come in and my dash goes red and digital number show. In comfort it visually all goes comfort and the side bolsters on the seat relax. This doesn't happen in adaptive. The only thing that happens is the suspension stiffens a little when you gun it a bit or start taking corners more enthusiastically.

Therefore it is a mode of it's own. One that automatically switches between two suspension settings (each of which exist in the over modes). But it doesn't do the other stuff sport does so we can't say it truly goes into sport mode- only the suspension element of it.
BMW states Adaptive mode does overlap the modes, (Eco, Comfort, Sport) but without distracting from comfort.

Quote:
"ADAPTIVE" mode changes the modes in the background so that the driver does not notice the changes directly.
overlapping the different adaptive suspension modes.
Yes exactly pete. It's basically comfort with the ability to alter the suspension (not steering, throttle, engine, seats etc) automatically. But 'sport' is not just suspension so it's wrong to say adaptive can move between sport and comfort 'modes' - rather it can move between sport and comfort 'suspension' which is different.

Personally I'd prefer a true adaptive mode where he whole profile switches automatically.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #24
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

The full official blurb on adaptive can be found in the 7 series technical documents. in the 07_G12 displays and controls pdf, page 59
here :-
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1179171

It's not detailed in much information in the 5 technical docs, in fact it states to refer to teh G12 docs as regards this partocular feature.
Appreciate 1
ZigmundUK447.50
      04-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Would anyone really want an automatic mode change over, where everything associated with the mode changed with conditions?

Say you enter a bend, the steering weight changes, throttle becomes sensitive and the gears downshift all in an instant. Then returns to Comfort as you exit the bend. Makes no sense at all to me. Having the suspension respond appropriately, does make sense.

BMW's comment on Adaptive mode.

Quote:
In this mode, the parameters of the Electronic Damper Control (VDP), the Electric Active Roll Stabilization (EARS), Electronic Power Steering (EPS) and the automatic transmission, for example, are switched between "COMFORT", "SPORT" and “ECO PRO” settings depending on the driving situation. However, when "ADAPTIVE" mode is active, no changes that restrict comfort (seat heating, A/C settings, etc.) are made in the event of switching to "ECO PRO" mode.
Appreciate 1
Roger_M52.00
      04-12-2018, 09:23 AM   #26
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
yeah you've got a point there. I guess it's probably the mode people would want to be in by default and then switch up to sport for conscious sporty driving...
Appreciate 1
Roger_M52.00
      04-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #27
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I really like Adaptive mode and use it more than comfort. I probably spend 75% of my time in Adaptive and 25% in Sport +. I just wish they had an option in iDrive to set it to start in Adaptive so I didn't have to code it myself.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2018, 10:20 AM   #28
Roger_M
Private First Class
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: M550i

Pete, Zigmund,

Thanks for your inputs, I really feel I've understood a lot more now about how Adaptive interacts with the other modes and settings. I got it wrong in the beginning; probably my original assumptions were based on what my sales guy told me, as he realised he didn't have 3 hours available to make me appreciate the whole picture.....

My conclusion is that the car does start in Comfort, that is what it is designed to do, because Comfort somehow represents a mid-way point between Sport (for guys like me ) and Eco (for losers).

Still, based on what I've learnt, can't help wondering whether Adaptive shouldn't be the start-up/default mode, it seems to combine the best of everything. Then, if the driver has his own specific mode in mind, let him select that choice.
      04-12-2018, 10:51 AM   #29
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I think it's pretty logical to assume that car starts in Adaptive. As OP says, if an individual has a specific liking to a particular driving style then he/she can then select that.

Let's hope BMW do this in the future without us having to code what would have been the most logical solution in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #30
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
I think it's pretty logical to assume that car starts in Adaptive. As OP says, if an individual has a specific liking to a particular driving style then he/she can then select that.

Let's hope BMW do this in the future without us having to code what would have been the most logical solution in the first place.
+1
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50