BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions So what would you guys do with damaged wrap

08-29-2019, 10:25 AM   #23
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
and 2nd quote, from the shop in queens (The Tint Shop in Flushing, though closer to LI rather than Flushing), $425, also 2nd week of Sept
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:26 AM   #24
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Then last quote from Detailing Dynamic on LI: $750 (specifically said XPEL Ultimate Plus, no idea about others, but thinking it's all the same?).

Also charge $95/hr for polishing (I don't think paint is damaged, but has to clean it before install it anyway so guess at least a hour)?

Guess I'll ask the detailing dynamic guys what they do that is different/better...

Dealer couldn't really quote over email, figure I might as well call to figure out... (though pretty sure they contract out anyway)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #25
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I live locally and I’m very involved in the car scene. I wouldn’t let just anyone near my car with a razor blade. Detailing dynamics is amazing. They have a ton of Experience and have done multiple cars for me. I’ve never heard of the tint shop and I definitely go to DD.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-29-2019, 01:37 PM   #26
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yup, I definitely got multiple recommendation on detailing dynamic, just a bit hard to get to (like 1 hour drive, then it's going to be, drop off the car 8am then pick up just before 6pm and have to be on weekday, almost have to take a day off).

the one in Brooklyn is called Paint Protection Inc (around Red Hook), anyone ever heard of them either?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 03:18 AM   #27
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Yikes... this sucks. It looks like someone sideswiped your can and "forgot" to leave you a note.

I had no idea XPEL removal and application is THAT expensive.

I had the pleasure of getting my G30's rear bumper damaged while parked by someone in her Mercedes S Class with all the parking sensors, 20 cameras and automatic parking functions. With all the technology at her disposal, how she managed to hit my stationary car is a mystery.

Long story short, I ended up repainting the entire rear bumper by BMW Center Bodyshop, and it cost about $1k (covered by her insurance), which isn't much more than what you are paying to repair the XPEL application...
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #28
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Yes, but now you are unprotected. You would be amazed at what the Xpel can shield you from in terms of road rash and scuffs. It not going to do much in an accident or direct hit, but I have seen some amazing saves from PPF.

I also had the film take a good rock hit and while I had to replace the film, I still had the un damaged factory paint on my hood when it was all over.

On a lease, no big deal to me, but on a keeper, PPF is a must for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
Yikes... this sucks. It looks like someone sideswiped your can and "forgot" to leave you a note.

I had no idea XPEL removal and application is THAT expensive.

I had the pleasure of getting my G30's rear bumper damaged while parked by someone in her Mercedes S Class with all the parking sensors, 20 cameras and automatic parking functions. With all the technology at her disposal, how she managed to hit my stationary car is a mystery.

Long story short, I ended up repainting the entire rear bumper by BMW Center Bodyshop, and it cost about $1k (covered by her insurance), which isn't much more than what you are paying to repair the XPEL application...
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      08-31-2019, 01:08 AM   #29
enigma01
Fight On!
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3; g30 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
Yes, but now you are unprotected. You would be amazed at what the Xpel can shield you from in terms of road rash and scuffs. It not going to do much in an accident or direct hit, but I have seen some amazing saves from PPF.

I also had the film take a good rock hit and while I had to replace the film, I still had the un damaged factory paint on my hood when it was all over.

On a lease, no big deal to me, but on a keeper, PPF is a must for me.

I have no doubt it protects your paint well, and based on OP's pictures, it looks like it did its job extremely well. I am 100% with you on that.

I never keep my car long enough to see the benefit (average 2-4 years), with my e92 M3 being the only exception (going on 6 years) since I can't find anything to replace it with.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #30
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So, little update, finally got the time to go to an xpel shop in Brooklyn, cut out a little section of the damaged xpel, absolutely no damage whatsoever on the actual paint, put on a "patch ish" xpel for that section, all done < 30 minutes (you can see the part it joints if you look right on it otherwise it blend in pretty well), still cost $120 which I guess is pretty good
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:07 AM   #31
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
This is XPEL

don't ask me what happened I have no clue, parked then come back to this (rear bumper on the left side), though I'm quite puzzled as to what actually happened?

If someone were to scratch me it has to be some ridiculous weird angle to be on there "only" (I checked around didn't see anything else and car drives normal all sensor seems normal too)

could it be someone took a key to it?

in any case, what are my options
1. leave as it is (a bit ugly, but livable, and I don't see any downside)
2. take of the whole wrap on the rear bumper off...?
Looks like an SUV got way too close to you.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 06:51 AM   #32
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
This is XPEL

don't ask me what happened I have no clue, parked then come back to this (rear bumper on the left side), though I'm quite puzzled as to what actually happened?

If someone were to scratch me it has to be some ridiculous weird angle to be on there "only" (I checked around didn't see anything else and car drives normal all sensor seems normal too)

could it be someone took a key to it?

in any case, what are my options
1. leave as it is (a bit ugly, but livable, and I don't see any downside)
2. take of the whole wrap on the rear bumper off...?
Looks like an SUV got way too close to you.
Never had the footage but I think it's a beat up Toyota from the early 90s..., glad xpel worked, absolutely no real damage whatsoever
Appreciate 0