BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Couple of concerns on my 530e - can you confirm?

10-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport

Couple of concerns on my 530e - can you confirm?

Hello, community! I've been a G30 530e (produced 04/2019) owner for a couple of months now and I have a few concerns related to the vehicle and I was wondering if you could tell me if you have the same 'issues' in your car or should I get mine checked at a dealer:

- when driving around 20km/h and 1500rpm using petrol my car makes an audible 'whirring' sound from somewhere front-left. If the music is loud enough, it can no longer be heard.

- when revving the petrol engine stand still, the car develops a quite strong one-time shake so I can see the whole body flex once when the revs start to increase. The car pulls normally and I haven't noticed any other issues with the petrol engine.

- when driving on wet I often have the need to make sure my windows are fully closed because I can hear the water escaping from under the wheels quite well. This could be due to the car being so silent otherwise, but could my doors be wrongly aligned or an issue in the door seals? However, there is no abnormal amount of wind noise when driving on a dry road.

- the big trim panel in the dashboard has started to make a cracking / popping noise as the outside temp has gone lower (around 0 celcius). I know this has been an issue but is there something the dealer can do to fix that? I would not like my interior be taken apart if they cannot do anything for it. And it is not the speaker grille behind iDrive cracking, it's the interior trim for sure.

Thanks for reading, please comment if your cars have these symptoms or not!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I haven't yet encountered temps below 32F (0C) so I can't yet speak to the last issue.

For the rest, I haven't yet experienced anything like them. The only "sound" I get is in pure electric mode at low speeds that was added as a pedestrian warning sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

re last item, might just be the different materials contracting at different rates, at the other end of the temperature spectrum as you know this has been heard when the car has stood in the sun.

I wouldn't get the dealer to take it part as it may introduce more issues imho.
Is it just one off creak/ crack noise or more frequent? Is it as the cars interio warms up?

Had my car for 2 years now and not quite down to 0C but certainly not heard this myself.

Car is so quiet though so you do end up hearing quite a lot of things that perhaps you wouldn't in a "lesser" one.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yeah, the cracking noise is there when the car warms up or cools down and also randomly but quite frequently heard when hitting a bump on the road or similar. Very annoying from a 70k € car.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

I have had my 2018 530e since January, 2018 and have not encountered any of the issues described in your post.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #6
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Cant give any comment on 0°c ad i will not experience it in my lifetime here. But park under a hot and humid weather of 35-38°C the interior seems working fine except when air cond cools the interior down it will have some squeaky sound.
      10-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #7
drivethemachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

2018 530e owner here.

#1 - I have not experienced the whirring noise. You should definitely have the dealership look at it.

#2 - Normal. I read somewhere that it's by design to reduce stress to the engine as it starts and stops frequently.

#3 - Can't say I've experienced this, but maybe I just never noticed...

#4 - Two tips here: in my case the door seals were making a noise like you describe. I greased them with a special silicone rubber treatment and that fixed it. (This is a good idea before the winter anyway.)
Another possibility (I've had this on my old X5) is that water freezes on the outside, around the windshield plastic trim and the ice starts cracking. I remember thinking it was the dashboard but it wasn't. An easy way to test it is to listen after the car has been sitting in a warm garage for several hours - once the ice melts the noise should go away.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:50 PM   #8
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

That low speed whirring noise OP is referring to seemingly from the front left corner is something that I have with my car too (one minor issue that I'm unsure about how to claim as a warranty with BMW because my car already 3 claims done).

I finally was able to track the source of the noise back to the overhead sunroof control console and a temporary fix to it. If you tap sharply onto front of that console where it meets roof lining it should stop whirring for a while, but it will come back. Feels like a loose fittings or something has dropped and loosely touch the plastic inside the sunroof control and just resonating with the body's vibration when the engine hit certain revs at low speed. Very noticeable in ECO mode because the car tends to shift early to keep revs low.

It is annoying but can OP please confirm that this is the same issue that we might share please? Just trying to convince myself that it is another fault to be ironed out before my factory warranty eventually runs out next year.

These small finishing defects really bugs me for a premium vehicle...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 03:30 AM   #9
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep

I don’t think we are talking about the same noise. My sound seems to come from somewhere outside rather than inside and it is almost exactly at 1500rpm. I don’t even have a sunroof in my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 03:29 PM   #10
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 530E 2017

AFinnish

Have read a few of your post and sounds like you have similar complaints/issue to my 530e.

I noticed this engine/body moving when revving at standstill as I was checking why when driving it is like the car moves/wobbles when engine comes on.

Feel like weight rotating/moving as engine and transmission/motor is causing the car to shake and it doesn't feel stable.. I can feel it as I ask for power and engine comes on and as I come off the accelerator or around a bend.

Interested did you decide this was a problem or not/ juts live with it or did you get mounts changed.

I see some people saying it's normal but seems to me a mount is gone for the engine or transmission on my car.

Juts bought my 530e high spec late 2017 model and this is the only thing annoying me as I'm used to a lovely stable drive in my previous BMWs, Car just doesn't feel stable randomly.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #11
Zereldo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFinnish530e View Post
Hello, community! I've been a G30 530e (produced 04/2019) owner for a couple of months now and I have a few concerns related to the vehicle and I was wondering if you could tell me if you have the same 'issues' in your car or should I get mine checked at a dealer:

- when driving around 20km/h and 1500rpm using petrol my car makes an audible 'whirring' sound from somewhere front-left. If the music is loud enough, it can no longer be heard.

- when revving the petrol engine stand still, the car develops a quite strong one-time shake so I can see the whole body flex once when the revs start to increase. The car pulls normally and I haven't noticed any other issues with the petrol engine.

- when driving on wet I often have the need to make sure my windows are fully closed because I can hear the water escaping from under the wheels quite well. This could be due to the car being so silent otherwise, but could my doors be wrongly aligned or an issue in the door seals? However, there is no abnormal amount of wind noise when driving on a dry road.

- the big trim panel in the dashboard has started to make a cracking / popping noise as the outside temp has gone lower (around 0 celcius). I know this has been an issue but is there something the dealer can do to fix that? I would not like my interior be taken apart if they cannot do anything for it. And it is not the speaker grille behind iDrive cracking, it's the interior trim for sure.

Thanks for reading, please comment if your cars have these symptoms or not!
I haven't experienced the whirring or body flex issue. I did notice the car shakes a bit when revving the engine in neutral (like an old V8). The creaàks and cracks I am familiar with now having owned the car for 2 months. I hear them all around the cabin, no pattern to the creaks or specific area of the cabin I can point towards, they come from all directions. It is more noticeable when the interior is warming (center console area after turning on the heat). I should mention that I live in Toronto to and the temperatures are averaging -8 to -12 C.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 05:50 PM   #12
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 MG/DCT (gone!)

Whirring will check tomorrow

Shaking while accelerating in neutral is definitely there (more than other petrol and diesel cars)

Noise from outside never noticed

Creaking/popping when heating the car is also there, but it is not exaggerated and goes away quickly

530e 2021 (G31)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:06 AM   #13
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp01 View Post
Whirring will check tomorrow

Shaking while accelerating in neutral is definitely there (more than other petrol and diesel cars)

Noise from outside never noticed

Creaking/popping when heating the car is also there, but it is not exaggerated and goes away quickly

530e 2021 (G31)
Any chance you get a small shake when the engine kicks in while driving especially around a left turning corner when the body is already leaning right?

I ask as I get a shake/wobble and I'm wondering if maybe my engine mount vacuum isn't working so the mounts are staying soft all the time and the wobble when driving is because of this.

More noticeable on left turns as the engine kicks right when it starts as noted when I checked in neutral and its the same direction as the existing lean when turning left.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 05:53 PM   #14
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnSky View Post
Any chance you get a small shake when the engine kicks in while driving especially around a left turning corner when the body is already leaning right?

I ask as I get a shake/wobble and I'm wondering if maybe my engine mount vacuum isn't working so the mounts are staying soft all the time and the wobble when driving is because of this.

More noticeable on left turns as the engine kicks right when it starts as noted when I checked in neutral and its the same direction as the existing lean when turning left.
I will try to replicate the situation you describe. I almost always drive electric (no engine) or sport (engine always on), so I never noticed what you describe. Probably I will just be able to do it during the weekend since my wife is driving the thing on a daily basis.
Appreciate 1
CnSky330.00
      02-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #15
Lp01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Tried to reproduce the left turn thing today, in reduced speed city left turns but could not feel anything you described.

Anyway, I had to accelerate a bit mid corner in order for the engine to kick in, and since it was a set of 90 degree corners, the car’s body leans quickly to right. Maybe that sudden body movement hides the effect you describe..

You felt that car shake at what speeds/ what type of turns?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #16
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp01 View Post
Tried to reproduce the left turn thing today, in reduced speed city left turns but could not feel anything you described.

Anyway, I had to accelerate a bit mid corner in order for the engine to kick in, and since it was a set of 90 degree corners, the car’s body leans quickly to right. Maybe that sudden body movement hides the effect you describe..

You felt that car shake at what speeds/ what type of turns?

Regards
Thanks for trying.

I really feel It most when existing a roundabout and asking for power. Driving on left hand of road here in Ireland so exiting left and powering out.

Car shakes as I exit and ask for power when engine kicks in although I tried in max e drive and I also feel it when under electric only so I'm starting to think it could be drive shaft or engine/transmission mount vacuum failure as the motor would also cause torque in the engine block/transmission.

Plan to test vacuum and if it's ok then change my guibo/flex disc and shaft centre mount next as we can't find anything at all wrong in the suspension.
Appreciate 1
Lp01109.00
      02-28-2021, 07:30 PM   #17
CnSky
Major
Ireland
Rep

So I have changed the tyres to non RFT and huge difference car drives smooth no crashing on uneven surfaces and wobbles. To date new brakes and discs, wheels refurbished and tyres changed.

Still have a shake/wobble when accelerating/taking foot off accelerator but can't ID where it's coming from (seems everywhere) and when I change from forward to reverse when parked there is a small shake/knock. (Strange considering doesn't matter if the car is in electric mode or with engine on when it happens makes no difference)

I'm thinking maybe CSB and or GUIBO. But car only had 50k km. have replacements on my desk just haven't got around to installing.

Anyone have any advice? Are Guibo failures normal this early? I'm thinking the 530e puts a lot of stress on it due regenerative braking.
Appreciate 0