BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 Sunroof of ultimate enjoyment

10-20-2019, 03:06 AM   #1
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW Vader

Garage List
Smile G30 Sunroof of ultimate enjoyment

I haven’t had a sunroof in my cars for many year, in fact probably since AC became standard on most UK cars. Think my Golf GTi Mk2 was the last time I had a proper sunroof. Ive had the fixed panoramic in a couple of SUV’s but nothing like the good ole fashions sunroofs of the past. (Not talking can opener ones from the 80’s guys)

Picked up a new g30 with premium pack and included sunroof, whilst sat there driving along, I realised I hadn’t tried or tested this new forgotten feature. I must admit it was a bit of a revelation. The sun shade is solid and works prefect at keeping out noise and light, it’s thick and solid in construction. Did the usual tilt option and found it provided a nice slow circulation of air through the cabin. Moving onto full open it simply brought back fond memories of being a kid sat in the back of the Granada Ghia. The sun beamed in on my balding head was a welcomed break. I quickly switch off the HVAC and let the sunroof do its job. The air circulation was so impressive, swirling around the cabin, not buffeting at all. BMW have most definitely developed the aero side of this as I was stunned at just how much this technology has moved on as in my mind this new addition would just be a plain old sunroof.

I’m amazed at how the simplest of things have transformed such a luxury environment up to a totally new ‘different’ level. It’s hard to put my finger on why it made me smile more than almost all of the other gadgets on board, maybe I’m getting old or just like the thought of me sat in the back of the old mans Ford Granada all those years ago.

Pointless post, but just wanted to share.
Appreciate 5
jwong77320.50
paquet629.50
Mandingo93498.50
      10-20-2019, 03:15 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Pointless post, but just wanted to share.
Not pointless at all. Valid observations.

I love the panoramic roof in my touring, the light in the cabin, (good in the UK), plus a bit of open air driving. After having a sun roof in my E39 touring, optioned a panoramic in my E91, and was a 'must have' in my F11.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #3
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not pointless at all. Valid observations.

I love the panoramic roof in my touring, the light in the cabin, (good in the UK), plus a bit of open air driving. After having a sun roof in my E39 touring, optioned a panoramic in my E91, and was a 'must have' in my F11.
I guess it’s just something I didn’t realise how much I missed, until I actually had one again. I’m genuinely more impressed by how much of an evolution it’s gone through over the years, it’s engineering, because a sunroof is just a sunroof right? I wouldn’t of thought BMW could of actually improved it’s functionality above and beyond the level of ‘it’s just a sunroof’ but they have as it’s so much more on the G30, it’s almost an event when in use, which I guess it’s why it takes me back to being a kid, being in the very first car we had as a family with a sunroof and driving down through Blackpool lights standing with my head out of the sunroof. Obviously wouldn’t do this now for many reasons, one of which would be you’d probably either 1 get pulled over by the police, or 2 get hit around the head by a flying kebab.

Still, Very nostalgic right.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:44 AM   #4
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

hmmm this post made me want to drive with mine fully open for once. Believe it or not I never had it fully open for long, only briefly to vent the hot air out and closed haha
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I wouldn't drive with full open, the wind noise is going to bother you, I would absolutely tilt though, very manageable noise even up to say 80mph?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
I wouldn't drive with full open, the wind noise is going to bother you, I would absolutely tilt though, very manageable noise even up to say 80mph?
With the panoramic roof in the wagon, open to the first stop and the air flow is well balanced and no real 'interference' to legal motorway speeds.

Open to the full open state and you need to crack open the rear windows, an inch or so, to stop buffeting.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      10-20-2019, 04:23 PM   #7
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
One thing I don't get is how come the non wagon 5 series doesn't have panoramic sunroof option, thought that's pretty much available across the full segment.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Finally been cool enough in San Antonio the last few days to open the sunroof, open the windows, crack the rear windows a few inches, and enjoy the wind and noise while I drive. Brings back memories of what I most enjoyed about my F83 M4, without the wheelspin and rude manerisms of that car! Love my M550, but I do miss that top down on occasion.
Appreciate 1
NGT25553.50
      10-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
CoolWave911
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW G30 530i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Haha I wish I can legally drive up to 80mph since our highest speed limit here in Australia is 110kmh.

I thought the pop up wind deflector is there to help reducing excessive air entering the cabin and causes discomfort. Will see how it feels when I have chance just out of curiosity
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #10
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolWave911 View Post
Haha I wish I can legally drive up to 80mph since our highest speed limit here in Australia is 110kmh.

I thought the pop up wind deflector is there to help reducing excessive air entering the cabin and causes discomfort. Will see how it feels when I have chance just out of curiosity
I can assure you that the wind deflector works, even at 85 MPH on the Austin loop.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 02:03 PM   #11
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
I can assure you that the wind deflector works, even at 85 MPH on the Austin loop.
Agree with his
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:42 AM   #12
reice23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 530i

Kinda dumb question and hope im not missing anything. But every other car i've had Accord, Maxima if i wanted to vent the sunroof all i had to do was click it once and the sun shade would go all the way back and sunroof would tilt. On the BMW is the only way to vent with the sunshade going all the way back is to click vent and then click back? So basically a 2 step procedure?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 02:03 AM   #13
TK - 421
There's a storm coming
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reice23 View Post
Kinda dumb question and hope im not missing anything. But every other car i've had Accord, Maxima if i wanted to vent the sunroof all i had to do was click it once and the sun shade would go all the way back and sunroof would tilt. On the BMW is the only way to vent with the sunshade going all the way back is to click vent and then click back? So basically a 2 step procedure?
There are a couple of ways depending on it the shade is back or not. You can simply press the button, as opposed to sliding it and it will go into the vent position. It slide the cover back first via button then press the tilt. Either way will work regardless of shade position. A Very good system
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #14
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by reice23 View Post
It is a two step procedure if you have the sunroof closed and the cover closed. Hitting vent will only open it about 20% or so and open the vent position. If you do it with the cover already open though it is a one step procedure.

Honestly, I like the way BMW implemented it. You aren't forced to accept the sun just to vent and it lines up with my previous car a bit which had a manual cover so it had openings for venting with the cover closed. Useful on a super hot day where you're using the vent to get rid of some of the hot air in the car, but don't need the sub heating you back up while doing it!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #15
reice23
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
It is a two step procedure if you have the sunroof closed and the cover closed. Hitting vent will only open it about 20% or so and open the vent position. If you do it with the cover already open though it is a one step procedure.

Honestly, I like the way BMW implemented it. You aren't forced to accept the sun just to vent and it lines up with my previous car a bit which had a manual cover so it had openings for venting with the cover closed. Useful on a super hot day where you're using the vent to get rid of some of the hot air in the car, but don't need the sub heating you back up while doing it!
I gotcha ya. I figured it was just a 2 step process maybe because im so used to the 1 step to do everything. No big deal though i can live by having to press the button twice lol
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 05:27 AM   #16
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xDrive Touring

On newer cars, including G30/G31, should be possible with a single operation / single step process, but just a quick double click, you don't have to wait.

See here for how to do it:

Sorry if I jumped in on such an old post, but was looking some "opinion" on usefulness of panoramic roof on G31, and decided to chime-in seeing the "wrong" tidbit.
Appreciate 1
NGT25553.50
      09-05-2022, 10:22 AM   #17
Mag_Ice_DL
Rep
Drives: 530 xDrive; 330e xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigilauro View Post
On newer cars, including G30/G31, should be possible with a single operation / single step process, but just a quick double click, you don't have to wait.

See here for how to do it:

Sorry if I jumped in on such an old post, but was looking some "opinion" on usefulness of panoramic roof on G31, and decided to chime-in seeing the "wrong" tidbit.
Despite pretty old post, it's still a valid point. There lots of advantages having a sun roof.
I found M dark roof upholstery look just right with panoramic roof. Not too dark inside.
Chilling with fully open roof in warn evenings at low speed is just so good!
Keeping AC on all the time doesn't make me feel good. I feel much better keeping sun roof open as drastically improved ventilation.
      09-06-2022, 05:00 AM   #18
luigilauro
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Ice_DL View Post
Despite pretty old post, it's still a valid point. There lots of advantages having a sun roof.
I found M dark roof upholstery look just right with panoramic roof. Not too dark inside.
Chilling with fully open roof in warn evenings at low speed is just so good!
Keeping AC on all the time doesn't make me feel good. I feel much better keeping sun roof open as drastically improved ventilation.
Fully agree! While expensive, is a very nice to have optional IMHO!
Appreciate 1