BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads My Irish 540ix progress thread

01-25-2022, 10:22 AM   #23
G30 545e
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 545e G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
thats mad! I paid nowhere near that for mine, what are you driving now? 545e?
👍👍
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 11:23 AM   #24
Ellinas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

I'm loving this thread!
Appreciate 1
buddyboy265.00
      01-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #25
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellinas View Post
I'm loving this thread!
Thanks, I'm just using this as a memory dump for everything im doing to the car, the forums are a nicer place to share than a lot of the cut throat facebook groups!

I replaced the spark plugs a few days back with some NGK 94201 plugs, its great that it only takes about 30 mins on the g30, due to the ease of access. No harm to have a fresh set since its its now running MHD stage 1 map and soon to be stage 2

I ordered a gloss black rear diffuser which arrived a week early from Germany today which was a nice surprise. It looks a little bit more aggressive than advertised so ill get it fitted and see how it looks.

Fellow B58 owner in the work parking lot today

Loaded on stage 3 XHP to see how it feels and its definitely a lot more aggressive in sports plus and sports on the transmission, also launches a lot better!

Another recent non essential purchase was a Remus axle back exhaust, it was on sale so hard to pass up. hopefully it arrives next week and fits with the above diffuser!

Hopefully ill get my VRSF sports cat fitted this weekend and ill load on the MHD stage 2 map and also get rid of the horrid wheel arch gap and fit the H&R lowering springs

Last edited by buddyboy; 01-25-2022 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 05:53 AM   #26
Ellinas
Enlisted Member
Rep

sub 4 seconds 0-60mph is mighty impressive

I'm hoping you do a before and after on the sound difference with the remus
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      01-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #27
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Loving how this build is coming along! You've done some good work so far and looking forward to seeing the future mods go on

Can you share where you got the Remus exhaust from please? I have been thinking about this more recently.

I'm yet to draggy and dyno mine. For the size and weight of the car, that stage 1 time you did is impressive! Looking forward to seeing the stage 2 time as your build is similar to mine

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 02:22 PM   #28
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
Loving how this build is coming along! You've done some good work so far and looking forward to seeing the future mods go on

Can you share where you got the Remus exhaust from please? I have been thinking about this more recently.

I'm yet to draggy and dyno mine. For the size and weight of the car, that stage 1 time you did is impressive! Looking forward to seeing the stage 2 time as your build is similar to mine
Thanks, there is plenty to do on these cars to keep my inner car enthusiast desires! I ordered the Remus from Winparts. They are based in the Netherlands. It was on sale and ordered with an Irish vat number so it was a good price. I only went for the axle back to start. I think that will be enough with the VRSF sports cat.

We are handicapped with 95 Ron fuel so power figures tend to be lower than the UK fueled cars. I have to resort to ethanol mixes to get some decent power gains. Not the cheapest but I do low mileage so its not so expensive to run it in the summer months. MHD released their flex fuel update so once I can buy that hardware it will be great
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #29
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Busy weekend for the car, i managed to get my car onto a car lift for a few days where i could work away on it myself, so i decided to try install the H&R springs and the VRSF sports cat. Even armed with the BMW TIS workshop manuals for the removal and install procedures it was pretty time consuming. Seized ball joints, broken tools, missing tools, crazy strut alignment procedures

Stripped out the rear interior at home, takes about an hour, i suggest ordering some plastic panel clips to replace any you break on the C pillar trims( clip part number (51437001491), to reduce the risk of rattles upon reassembly

I started on the rears, bottom bolt is really restricted for access and 250nm of torque so it took a while to get that out, 3 bolts up top on the rear parcel shelf and some sensor connectors to remove from the damper and out the strut came.

Seems like the rear drivers shock is new dated 21.10.21 so must have been a warranty replacement before i bought it. Safe to say the warranty is voided on the suspension now!

The fronts are a lot more involved it seems to due to xdrive and adaptive suspension, top ball joint as hard to branot many pics

Sports cats cat fitting:

The bastard bolt:

cut and replaced with new clamp

old and new

Car back in one piece

Clean for a day:

Loaded up the MHD stage 2 tune and yep, she moves now, revs up quicker, more turbo noises, more intake whooshes, i need to get some updated dragy runs to see how things have improved

Last edited by buddyboy; 02-02-2022 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:48 AM   #30
Ellinas
Enlisted Member
Rep

bloody hell, you have been busy!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 04:36 PM   #31
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Busy weekend for the car, i managed to get my car onto a car lift for a few days where i could work away on it myself, so i decided to try install the H&R springs and the VRSF sports cat. Even armed with the BMW TIS workshop manuals for the removal and install procedures it was pretty time consuming. Seized ball joints, broken tools, missing tools, crazy strut alignment procedures

Stripped out the rear interior at home, takes about an hour, i suggest ordering some plastic panel clips to replace any you break on the C pillar trims( clip part number (51437001491), to reduce the risk of rattles upon reassembly

I started on the rears, bottom bolt is really restricted for access and 250nm of torque so it took a while to get that out, 3 bolts up top on the rear parcel shelf and some sensor connectors to remove from the damper and out the strut came.

Seems like the rear drivers shock is new dated 21.10.21 so must have been a warranty replacement before i bought it. Safe to say the warranty is voided on the suspension now!

The fronts are a lot more involved it seems to due to xdrive and adaptive suspension, top ball joint as hard to branot many pics

Sports cats cat fitting:

The bastard bolt:

cut and replaced with new clamp

old and new

Car back in one piece

Clean for a day:

Loaded up the MHD stage 2 tune and yep, she moves now, revs up quicker, more turbo noises, more intake whooshes, i need to get some updated dragy runs to see how things have improved
Nice work mate! Great satisfaction when you can do things like this yourself (even if they aren't simple and straightforward)

I'm like that drop and the fitment on the wheels looks on point!

With time, the springs will settle a little - A massive improvement from stock as the xDrive saloons tend to sit very high on standard springs compared to the RWD cars.

I'm interested to see what Draggy times you get with XHP stage 3. I'm still on XHP stage 2 but tempted to switch it up

This beast is transforming! Enjoy

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 1
buddyboy265.00
      02-09-2022, 04:51 PM   #32
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks but I think the drop on the front is actually maybe 5mm or so too much, the ride is definitely firmer over speed bumps and pot holes, i would be worried about damaging something on some B road blasts, it would be great if there existed a damper spacer you could put in between the top hat and chassis to raise the car a small bit, maybe ill see if i can get something made up!

This is how the car is sitting now, after a week, i doubt the ride height or comfort is going to change much more front or rear at this point, ill get the alignment checked in another few weeks

Part of me is thinking i should have just invested in a set of MSS springs!

Ill see how changing to non run flats helps. i have a set of Hankook Ventus Evo S3 in the shed waiting to go on

Im still waiting on the Remus exhaust to ship, supposedly it wasnt in stock and only ordered from the supplier when i ordered it from the reseller, i should have it early March
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 06:03 AM   #33
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

I havent done much in the last few months,

Replaced front discs with genuine BMW ones and tried out a set of EBC yellow stuff for a bit more stopping power, i also fitted New guide pins and spring clips

Ditched the runflats for Hankook Ventus evo s3, much more comfort over bad road surfaces etc

Fitted a gloss black rear diffuser

Fitted an android MMI unit for Android auto support

Remus axle back exhaust finally arrived and will get the fitted in the next week or so:

I went with just the axle back to start since i already have the VRSF sports cat fitted so i didnt want it to be tool loud with full non resonated cat back, i can always add the Remus midpipe if i need a bit more volume. ill try get some videos when i get it fitted, I went with the chrome slash cut tips but the look pretty massive so i might look for smaller carbon options, closer to the M performarmance style you see on some M cars
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 09:41 AM   #34
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I havent done much in the last few months,

Replaced front discs with genuine BMW ones and tried out a set of EBC yellow stuff for a bit more stopping power, i also fitted New guide pins and spring clips

Ditched the runflats for Hankook Ventus evo s3, much more comfort over bad road surfaces etc

Fitted a gloss black rear diffuser

Fitted an android MMI unit for Android auto support

Remus axle back exhaust finally arrived and will get the fitted in the next week or so:

I went with just the axle back to start since i already have the VRSF sports cat fitted so i didnt want it to be tool loud with full non resonated cat back, i can always add the Remus midpipe if i need a bit more volume. ill try get some videos when i get it fitted, I went with the chrome slash cut tips but the look pretty massive so i might look for smaller carbon options, closer to the M performarmance style you see on some M cars
Some good progress there mate nice few mods

Did you have to reset the brake service indicator on your idrive? Mine now shows rear brakes pads due in 2200 miles. Tempted to do it myself but wasn't sure if I could reset the service indicator myself or need a garage do do it.

MMI box is a cool mod!

That exhaust looks decent mate! - looking forward to seeing it fitted and how it sounds. I've read that there is a dimple on the original pipe coming off the stock backbox as to where the cut needs to be made. Good idea to go with the axel back first and then add on the mid pipe if needed. Will be interesting to see how the exhaust tips fit. The recommend the M550i diffuser for this setup but you have the M5 style diffuser like me which should accommodate them.

The exhaust is on my wish list but want to get a TU pump soon and switch over to to BM3 for Stage 2+. My priority is brake pads first though!

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 09:44 AM   #35
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
The car is bluestone metallic, right? It's a shame that the website can't do more justice for some of these colors. When I was looking, I didn't think I'd like Bluestone and dismissed it. My opinions have changed after seeing so many on the forum. Great work on the car and thanks for sharing it all.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #36
jsherwood275
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xdrive

Who did the retrim on the steering wheel? Specific company?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 11:00 AM   #37
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
Some good progress there mate nice few mods

Did you have to reset the brake service indicator on your idrive? Mine now shows rear brakes pads due in 2200 miles. Tempted to do it myself but wasn't sure if I could reset the service indicator myself or need a garage do do it.

MMI box is a cool mod!

That exhaust looks decent mate! - looking forward to seeing it fitted and how it sounds. I've read that there is a dimple on the original pipe coming off the stock backbox as to where the cut needs to be made. Good idea to go with the axel back first and then add on the mid pipe if needed. Will be interesting to see how the exhaust tips fit. The recommend the M550i diffuser for this setup but you have the M5 style diffuser like me which should accommodate them.

The exhaust is on my wish list but want to get a TU pump soon and switch over to to BM3 for Stage 2+. My priority is brake pads first though!
There is an option to reset the mileage for front brake pads, I'm not sure if there is a separate service indicator for the rears, i haven't done my rears yet

MMI box is ok, but you loose touchscreen functionality while using it and a few another annoying things, im an android user so i mainly did it to remove the need for a separate iphone and sim plan just for the car!

I got the exhaust fitted yesterday with the help of a friend in his garage area, but the 540 is a long car and couldn't raise it on the jacking points so just lifted the ass of it enough to get the space needed. Im glad i went with the axle back only, its pretty loud in sports mode, with the VRSF sports cat too, straight pipe mid would be too much i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
The car is bluestone metallic, right? It's a shame that the website can't do more justice for some of these colors. When I was looking, I didn't think I'd like Bluestone and dismissed it. My opinions have changed after seeing so many on the forum. Great work on the car and thanks for sharing it all.
Yep Y2C bluestone metallic, its a weird colour, looks grey in low lighting but you can really see the blue tone pop when the sun hits it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherwood275 View Post
Who did the retrim on the steering wheel? Specific company?
Local polish guy, He had one spare exactly how i wanted it, so came to me at work and swapped it over a really good price and quality of retrim work too
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2022, 06:02 PM   #38
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Damn! Impressive build man!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 08:12 AM   #39
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

I managed to get the Remus fitted over the weekend, nothing overly complicated, some brackets and hangers put on the wrong way as the instructions are pretty useless, but got there in the end. 2 people definitely required at some point when trying to get the new box fitted up.

Marked off at the dimple on the pipe

Stock muffler is substantial in size compared to the Remus, but if felt lighter than the Remus

Fitted up and aligned reasonably straight

The M5 style diffuser though seems a tad too small to clear the whopper 4 inch quad tip setup, i couldnt get the alignment right where was no rubbing, the outer tips are in contact with the outer edge of the diffuser on both sides, i cant see any left/right adjustment on it, only up and down. Ive ordered a 550i diffuser from local BMW dealer

First attempt:

Slightly better but rubbing:

Out for test drive and a quick sound check, sounds pretty good, im glad i didnt get the cat back as that would be too loud with the VRSF sports cat id say:

Smell of burning plastic so rocking the dual setup for a couple of days until 550i diffuser arrives.

Appreciate 2
NGT25617.50
Junebug851615.00
      04-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #40
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Looks and sounds awesome. Does it pop much when you're in comfort mode?

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #41
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not as noticeable, I do have exhaust burbles set to medium on MHD I think in that video. Im going to turn that off and make another short clip
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      04-12-2022, 04:48 PM   #42
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Quote:
I managed to get the Remus fitted over the weekend, nothing overly complicated, some brackets and hangers put on the wrong way as the instructions are pretty useless, but got there in the end. 2 people definitely required at some point when trying to get the new box fitted up.

Marked off at the dimple on the pipe

Stock muffler is substantial in size compared to the Remus, but if felt lighter than the Remus

Fitted up and aligned reasonably straight

The M5 style diffuser though seems a tad too small to clear the whopper 4 inch quad tip setup, i couldnt get the alignment right where was no rubbing, the outer tips are in contact with the outer edge of the diffuser on both sides, i cant see any left/right adjustment on it, only up and down. Ive ordered a 550i diffuser from local BMW dealer

First attempt:

Slightly better but rubbing:

Out for test drive and a quick sound check, sounds pretty good, im glad i didnt get the cat back as that would be too loud with the VRSF sports cat id say:

Smell of burning plastic so rocking the dual setup for a couple of days until 550i diffuser arrives.

Hey Buddy. Been considering the Remus for my 540 as well. Was wondering if you could measure the tips from inner left to outer right for width. I have an after market diffuser as well so would be good to know upfront if I would have fitment issues. Thanks
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      04-12-2022, 07:45 PM   #43
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Not as noticeable, I do have exhaust burbles set to medium on MHD I think in that video. Im going to turn that off and make another short clip
If you think about it, I'd love to hear what it sounds like when settings are normal and it's in comfort. If not, no big deal. I've been back and forth on whether it would be too aggressive for me on a daily basis.

Cool to see your step by step process on this car. Thanks for posting.

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 05:02 AM   #44
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteinpa View Post
Hey Buddy. Been considering the Remus for my 540 as well. Was wondering if you could measure the tips from inner left to outer right for width. I have an after market diffuser as well so would be good to know upfront if I would have fitment issues. Thanks

Here's a few quick measurements i took before install, hopefully they help, i can re-measure if they are not accurate enough. 4 inches at the widest pretty much

Appreciate 2
peteinpa396.00
NGT25617.50