BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads My Irish 540ix progress thread

04-13-2022, 02:57 PM   #45
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I managed to get the Remus fitted over the weekend, nothing overly complicated, some brackets and hangers put on the wrong way as the instructions are pretty useless, but got there in the end. 2 people definitely required at some point when trying to get the new box fitted up.

[img]
View post on imgur.com

Marked off at the dimple on the pipe

[img]
View post on imgur.com

[img]
View post on imgur.com

[img]
View post on imgur.com

Stock muffler is substantial in size compared to the Remus, but if felt lighter than the Remus

[img]
View post on imgur.com

Fitted up and aligned reasonably straight

[img]
View post on imgur.com

The M5 style diffuser though seems a tad too small to clear the whopper 4 inch quad tip setup, i couldnt get the alignment right where was no rubbing, the outer tips are in contact with the outer edge of the diffuser on both sides, i cant see any left/right adjustment on it, only up and down. Ive ordered a 550i diffuser from local BMW dealer

[img]
View post on imgur.com

First attempt:

[img]
View post on imgur.com

Slightly better but rubbing:

[img]
View post on imgur.com

[img]
View post on imgur.com

Out for test drive and a quick sound check, sounds pretty good, im glad i didnt get the cat back as that would be too loud with the VRSF sports cat id say:

[url]https://youtu.be/tTMqklJkhus

Smell of burning plastic so rocking the dual setup for a couple of days until 550i diffuser arrives.

[img]
View post on imgur.com

Nice work on the install mate Think you made the right choice with the axel back!

Looks mega! Looking forward to hearing more sound clips!

It's a shame the diffuser doesn't fit with the tips. Would work well together. I'm guessing the M5 OEM exhaust tips are not 4" each. I love how big and aggressive the quad setup and tips look.

Would this diffuser work...

[url]https://www.vogueautomotive.com/prod...rear-diffuser/

It pictures it with a quad setup - but I don't know how big those tips are in diameter.

If you get a chance, can you measure the width of the exhaust opening on your diffuser please? Yours look to be the same as mine. I've been out and it's around 20 cms in the middle on mine (pics below). Just wondering if it's the same on yours.

You have got me looking at exhausts now but I think I'm going to hold off a bit longer lol.
Attached Images

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 11:59 PM   #46
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
How much total width do the two tips require you think?

My 2018 540 is a non-MSport, so it has a different rear setup. I took some pictures. I don't even think there is a separate diffuser, it all just seems to be one part. I'm wondering if the space for the tips isn't a tad roomier than the 540 MSport. I didn't have a lot of space or light but I took some pictures to show what I mean.
Attached Images

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2022, 12:08 AM   #47
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here is a better picture where you can see the entire rear much better.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 02:57 PM   #48
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post

Nice work on the install mate Think you made the right choice with the axel back!

It's a shame the diffuser doesn't fit with the tips. Would work well together. I'm guessing the M5 OEM exhaust tips are not 4" each. I love how big and aggressive the quad setup and tips look.

[url]https://www.vogueautomotive.com/prod...rear-diffuser/

It pictures it with a quad setup - but I don't know how big those tips are in diameter.

If you get a chance, can you measure the width of the exhaust opening on your diffuser please? Yours look to be the same as mine. I've been out and it's around 20 cms in the middle on mine (pics below). Just wondering if it's the same on yours.

You have got me looking at exhausts now but I think I'm going to hold off a bit longer lol.
Sorry, only seeing your reply now, I've already changed to the 550i diffuser and damaged the m5 style diffuser while taking it off(crack at the top on one side),so dont think ill be putting it back on, no matter what i tried there was no making it fit cleanly due to the shape of the cutouts. i could have gotten the dremel to it but it might be noticeable from behind if i cut away too much

Here's a pic of the original diffuser and the new 550i diffuser on top.

Big difference in shape on the cutout:

On the M5 style on you can see the right side is slanted too much to give the clearance needed

Plenty of space with the 550i one although a less aggressive look,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post

My 2018 540 is a non-MSport, so it has a different rear setup. I took some pictures. I don't even think there is a separate diffuser, it all just seems to be one part. I'm wondering if the space for the tips isn't a tad roomier than the 540 MSport. I didn't have a lot of space or light but I took some pictures to show what I mean.
One thing the fitment instructions call out is Msport bumper only and with 550i diffuser, , you need about 10 inches in width and 5 inches of height but again as mentioned its more the shape of the cutout you need
Appreciate 3
NGT25617.50
peteinpa396.00
Junebug851615.00
      04-16-2022, 06:06 PM   #49
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

[url]https://www.vogueautomotive.com/product/bmw-5-series-m-sport-g30-m5-style-gloss-black-rear-diffuser/

Sorry, only seeing your reply now, I've already changed to the 550i diffuser and damaged the m5 style diffuser while taking it off(crack at the top on one side),so dont think ill be putting it back on, no matter what i tried there was no making it fit cleanly due to the shape of the cutouts. i could have gotten the dremel to it but it might be noticeable from behind if i cut away too much

On the M5 style on you can see the right side is slanted too much to give the clearance needed

Quote:

One thing the fitment instructions call out is Msport bumper only and with 550i diffuser, , you need about 10 inches in width and 5 inches of height but again as mentioned its more the shape of the cutout you need
Yeah. I think I'm back to Dinan being the best choice. I know it will fit a non M Sport because I've seen it on others online. Only downside is Dinan loses the flaps so no control of that. I've heard some say it's barely noticeable in comfort/normal driving but hard to know. No one makes a YouTube video of an otherwise all stock car in comfort mode. All the YouTube videos are doing hard revs in sport mode or cold starts with other mods (upgraded mid pipes or down pipes).

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #50
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

It still looks decent, as you said it's not as aggressive as before but I think there is more emphasis on the the exhaust now Love those tips!

So tempted to get one! Now that you have had it a week or so... is the axel back loud enough with a sports cat or do you think a mid pipe is needed?

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2022, 06:39 PM   #51
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It still looks decent, as you said it's not as aggressive as before but I think there is more emphasis on the the exhaust now Love those tips!

So tempted to get one! Now that you have had it a week or so... is the axel back loud enough with a sports cat or do you think a mid pipe is needed?

I wouldn't want it any louder than it is, i think the sports cat and axle back is enough, i cant imagine the need for more volume, another short clip below with the window down a bit, driving in a private country estate road

You can play around with the exhaust burble and Brapp settings in MHD to get more noises at certain revs etc if you want. But as i mentioned you can always add the mid pipe afterwards if you feel you need more noise. It took me 3 months to get mine , i couldnt find anyone in Europe that had one in stock so get your order in soon if you want one before summer is over, Im sure you could get a comparable system made up at a local exhaust shop for less, but it would be hard to know how it turns out sound wise in the end.
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      04-25-2022, 04:40 PM   #52
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't want it any louder than it is, i think the sports cat and axle back is enough, i cant imagine the need for more volume, another short clip below with the window down a bit, driving in a private country estate road

You can play around with the exhaust burble and Brapp settings in MHD to get more noises at certain revs etc if you want. But as i mentioned you can always add the mid pipe afterwards if you feel you need more noise. It took me 3 months to get mine , i couldnt find anyone in Europe that had one in stock so get your order in soon if you want one before summer is over, Im sure you could get a comparable system made up at a local exhaust shop for less, but it would be hard to know how it turns out sound wise in the end.
I think I'm going to go with the axel back route as you suggested. Agree with what you say, It's a bit of a risk getting a custom exhaust made and then not being happy with the way it might sound. With the Remus you know how it sounds and what to expect.

I was looking to seeing what other diffuser's are out there that will fit the quad pipe setup but looks like the 550i one is the only one that guarantee's proper fitment. Have you got used to it or miss the one you have before?

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #53
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't see any major downsides to just going with the axle back first, you can cut off the old back box with ease and put on the Remus, and if you still find it lacking volume, just order up the center pipe and throw that on. My friend has a non resonated Remus on his m140i and even with factory cat it can be pretty ASBO under certain conditions

As for the diffuser i think its the colour of it, its soo close in colour to bluestone paint so it looks oem and stands out less whereas the gloss black M5 style gave better contrast and that bit of aggression. I still might try modify it to see can i make it clear the tips but the amount you need to cut might make it too obvious from behind and it would stand out as being cut.

The only other options i could think of is a 550i M5 style diffuser( if they exist) or an M5 style rear bumper!
Appreciate 1
Junebug851615.00
      05-12-2022, 03:59 PM   #54
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Onto the next upgrade, i wasn't super happy with the H&R spring drop or comfort i would say maybe 5-8mm too low at the front , always a gamble with a spring only drop. under most situations it was perfectly fine, except where i leave there is a lot of speed ramps and some of my favourite back roads have some pretty uneven surfaces with humps and dips which just didnt suit the lowered height and stiffened performance that the H&R provided.

i was torn between a few options:

Revert to stock( too wallowy and high)
KW v3 with EDC delete kit ( overkill for this car)
MSS HAS kit ( best of both worlds? )

Daily driver with some occasional fast road back road blast is what i use this car for so i thought the MSS kit was worth a shot. its a lot more expensive than just a set of lowering springs but once you see the quality of the kit supplied you see where the money goes

Few pics of the install:

Springs are fully settled now.

Height is pretty much the same as it was with H&R, comfort over bad surfaces and speed ramps has greatly improved and also the car seems a lot more planted too when pushing on some favourite local roads like pictured above

Last edited by buddyboy; 05-12-2022 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 3
Junebug851615.00
peteinpa396.00
      05-12-2022, 04:13 PM   #55
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Onto the next upgrade, i wasn't super happy with the H&R spring drop or comfort i would say maybe 5-8mm too low at the front , always a gamble with a spring only drop. under most situations it was perfectly fine, except where i leave there is a lot of speed ramps and some of my favourite back roads have some pretty uneven surfaces with humps and dips which just didnt suit the lowered height and stiffened performance that the H&R provided.

Daily driver with some occasional fast road back road blast is what i use this car for so i thought the MSS kit was worth a shot. its a lot more expensive than just a set of lowering springs but once you see the quality of the kit supplied you see where the money goes

Few pics of the install:

Springs are fully settled now. [...]
Looking good there mate! Good work

What was your final drop (mm) front and rear?

Like you said, it is expensive for a height adjustable spring kit but worth every penny!

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:54 PM   #56
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Few pics of the install:

Springs are fully settled now.

Height is pretty much the same as it was with H&R, comfort over bad surfaces and speed ramps has greatly improved and also the car seems a lot more planted too when pushing on some favourite local roads like pictured above
That looks awesome! I'm also curious to know the final drop measurement.

Since they're adjustable, what would you think the least amount of drop you could adjust to would be (weird question, I know)?

I love following this thread. Really cool.

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 05:58 PM   #57
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
That looks awesome! I'm also curious to know the final drop measurement.

Since they're adjustable, what would you think the least amount of drop you could adjust to would be (weird question, I know)?

I love following this thread. Really cool.
The least amount of drop you can have is 0mm. The height adjusters allow from 0 - 30mm. So you can still retain the stock ride height (no lowering) but have the benefits of the MSS spring setup/ technology

Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      05-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #58
The Zimmer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 Touring

Quote:
I havent done much in the last few months,

Replaced front discs with genuine BMW ones and tried out a set of EBC yellow stuff for a bit more stopping power, i also fitted New guide pins and spring clips

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Ditched the runflats for Hankook Ventus evo s3, much more comfort over bad road surfaces etc

Fitted a gloss black rear diffuser

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Fitted an android MMI unit for Android auto support

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

Remus axle back exhaust finally arrived and will get the fitted in the next week or so:

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

I went with just the axle back to start since i already have the VRSF sports cat fitted so i didnt want it to be tool loud with full non resonated cat back, i can always add the Remus midpipe if i need a bit more volume. ill try get some videos when i get it fitted, I went with the chrome slash cut tips but the look pretty massive so i might look for smaller carbon options, closer to the M performarmance style you see on some M cars

Hey Bud two questions :

1) where did you buy the Android Auto box from ?

2) where did you locate it during installation?

Thanks
Paul
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 05:30 AM   #59
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zimmer View Post
Hey Bud two questions :

1) where did you buy the Android Auto box from ?

2) where did you locate it during installation?

Thanks
Paul
Hi Paul, i bought it from Ali Express, i can dig out the link if you want

Space is pretty tight on the G30, the box is below the headunit along with all the extra cabling, its very tight to get it all back in an headinit secured back in, if i was to do it again, i would probably pay extra and just get one of the android screen units instead of the mmi box

Last edited by buddyboy; 05-16-2022 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #60
jag81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX, E87 130i

Quote:
Stock muffler is substantial in size compared to the Remus, but if felt lighter than the Remus

Do you know diameter of the outlet pipes that go from muffler to oem tips?

They don’t look 90degree turns either, maybe 80?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 10:34 AM   #61
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag81 View Post
Quote:

Do you know diameter of the outlet pipes that go from muffler to oem tips?

They don’t look 90degree turns either, maybe 80?
I believe the pipe from the stock muffler to stock tips for the 540 are 2.7-2.8 inches. I measured the circumference at 8.75 inches and divided by 3.14 to get diameter of 2.787 inches.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 06:42 PM   #62
jag81
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 540iX, E87 130i

Thanks, so 70mm to get this rather than 73mm?

https://xxiituning.com/collections/b...e-exhaust-tips
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 10:33 PM   #63
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I would think you'd want 73. That would make the inlet size of the tips slighter larger around than the outlet pipe from the stock muffler. In my mind, I'd think you would want the inlet of the tips to act as the female part and the outlet of the muffler to act as the male. Then you could clamp the inlet of the tips down around the muffler pipe.

But hopefully someone else can chime in and confirm that I'm thinking correctly.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 05:21 AM   #64
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Depending on spacing on those tips they may not clear the oem diffuser so you might need to take that into consideration and modify it or change to the 550i diffuser
Appreciate 1
NGT25617.50
      06-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #65
buddyboy
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so update on the car. I've an annoying drone from the exhaust setup. While crushing at about 120kmh 1.5k revs.

I had a good 880km trip over the last long weekend to Donegal, it was annoying. I need to check it for leaks or rubbing off something and make sure the valve is closing fully. Someone said the angle/location of the tips can add to drone/noise

I've removed the MST intake to see what that does to the sound, it's quietened down the intake exhaust noises and probably a bit smoother coming on boost and you can heat the exhaust noises better coming on boost etc.

I added some sound deadening material to the trunk space but it didn't help much.

No ethanol at the pump here but over ordered 200 liters to start running the e30 blend tunes so looking forward to some good fueling. 95 ron over here is so bad!

I have still not been able to find a flex fuel kit for the G30, promised by a few suppliers in the next month
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 05:31 PM   #66
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ok so update on the car. I've an annoying drone from the exhaust setup. While crushing at about 120kmh 1.5k revs.

I had a good 880km trip over the last long weekend to Donegal, it was annoying. I need to check it for leaks or rubbing off something and make sure the valve is closing fully. Someone said the angle/location of the tips can add to drone/noise

I've removed the MST intake to see what that does to the sound, it's quietened down the intake exhaust noises and probably a bit smoother coming on boost and you can heat the exhaust noises better coming on boost etc.

I added some sound deadening material to the trunk space but it didn't help much.

No ethanol at the pump here but over ordered 200 liters to start running the e30 blend tunes so looking forward to some good fueling. 95 ron over here is so bad!

I have still not been able to find a flex fuel kit for the G30, promised by a few suppliers in the next month
Thanks for the update. Was happy to see it pop up. Do you think the drone is mainly a function if the Remus axle back system, or more likely a combo of the Remus and other mods you've done?

I still have my eye on the Dinan axle back. They make a big deal of claiming no drone, but I'm skeptical.

Appreciate 0