BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Highway vibrations

02-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #89
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
Just came back from the dealer. have the car (2020 M550i xD) for a couple of months but not much highway driving, NY/NJ area (read terrible roads). Started noticing a constant vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal at speeds over 60mph to the point it was getting annoying. Went to the dealer this morning and they checked the wheels, verdict: front and back left rims bent (they are 19"!!!)! What a bummer, as I never hit any pothole badly enough to get concerned. Front left is visible during the rotation but can't see much of a bending on the rear, but they say it is there, anyway, agreed to get them straightened in-house by that dealer and added alignment just in case. Cost after small discount: rim straightening $400 ($200 per wheel) + $200 alignment. I know that it can be done cheaper but didn't want to spend more time on this. Disappointed with BMW rim alloy quality... had 20" and 21" before on Porsches, Audis and few other earlier BMWs and never had a rim bent... such a bummer, especially on 19". They definitely need to improve the alloy quality, so brittle! Will report back if the vibration is still there after repairs.
This is, unfortunately, a common story in the NY/NJ area. I had 3 rims and a tire replaced last year on my '17 G12 (19") but it was all covered by tire and wheel insurance. I also had curb rash fixed under insurance. IMHO tire and wheel ins for those of us who have to drive on these crappy roads is a good investment.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      02-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #90
toxic_bimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Macan S

2020 M550i xD - bent rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_bimmer View Post
Just came back from the dealer. have the car (2020 M550i xD) for a couple of months but not much highway driving, NY/NJ area (read terrible roads). Started noticing a constant vibration in the steering wheel and gas pedal at speeds over 60mph to the point it was getting annoying. Went to the dealer this morning and they checked the wheels, verdict: front and back left rims bent (they are 19"!!!)! What a bummer, as I never hit any pothole badly enough to get concerned. Front left is visible during the rotation but can't see much of a bending on the rear, but they say it is there, anyway, agreed to get them straightened in-house by that dealer and added alignment just in case. Cost after small discount: rim straightening $400 ($200 per wheel) + $200 alignment. I know that it can be done cheaper but didn't want to spend more time on this. Disappointed with BMW rim alloy quality... had 20" and 21" before on Porsches, Audis and few other earlier BMWs and never had a rim bent... such a bummer, especially on 19". They definitely need to improve the alloy quality, so brittle! Will report back if the vibration is still there after repairs.
UPDATE: dealer has fixed the rims and alignment (don't know if alignment was needed at all as they didn't show the pre-alignment readings) and the car is back to normal. Kudos to them for having it done in one day. One takeaway, I spoke with a sales rep and he confirmed my suspicion that the alloy used for rims on recent cars is more prone to bending as BMW is trying to make the wheels lighter. The goal is great but the end result is not so much if the owners are left facing an increased probability of ending with damaged rims. May be getting an aftermarket set of not very expensive forged wheels of same size is a better solution... checking out the HRE and BBS as an alternative.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 07:13 AM   #91
AFinnish530e
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFinnish530e View Post
2019 530e here. Having vibrations felt in the steering wheel and the seat(s) at 125km/h until 155km/h or so and rarely but randomly at lower speeds (from 60) as well. Had it on stock M Sport 18 inch wheels with RFT tyres and no change when I put Continental Ice Contact 2 non-RFT tyres on the same rims. Been at the dealer once, no solution found. Taking it back on 5th Nov.

What is bothering me is that at times the vibration is stronger, sometimes almost, almost unnoticeable. I’m really hoping to get this resolved.

What wheels and tyres do you have in your vibrating car(s)?
I think I have finally found the cause which was the stock 18 inch M Sport alloys delivered with the car. I think they (or one of those) have been defective from factory. With two different set of tyres and roadforce balance two dealerships could not get it sorted. The problem was more noticeable when the inner sides of the rims were covered in dirt and dust, but was never away even when the wheels were properly cleaned.

Yesterday I went to pick up a used (but in perfect condition) set of Style 759 20” rims and RFT tyres, the ride is 100% smooth at all speeds. I am relieved
Appreciate 1
Krill39.50
      03-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #92
Bimmer5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
I have a new G30 520d xDrive which vibrates through the seats at around 120-130 km/h. (around 70-80 mph). Sometimes it happens at slightly lower speeds as well. I´ve had an alignment and road force balance done (not by BMW), but it still vibrates. It´s going in to the dealer on Monday.
Anybody else having vibration issues?
If you have hit any potholes it could be bent rims, I had vibration at the same speed and I had two bent rims.
      03-16-2020, 04:13 AM   #93
lnaukkar
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, F40 118i

It really could very well be bent rims even though you don't recall anything special.

My score is 5x bent 18" oem wheels so far with my G30 530e. 1/4 out of my (non-RF) summer set and 4/4 out of the (RF) winter set. I got pretty good feel of what broke the summer set wheel, but all others are complete mystery to me.

And this is without any tire damage
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #94
kampod
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i XDrive M-Sport

2018 540xi M-Sport 19'' rims. I've been suffering from 82-86mph vibrations for long time, countless visits to two dealers, multiple road force balancing attempts, alignments, rim straightening shops, replaced RFT with regular Michelin, nothing helps. I bought this car hoping to keep it for a long time but this single issue drives me crazy. If anyone knows anyone who can solve it I'd be more than happy to pay out of pocket, even thought the car got years of warranty on it. it's only 20,000mi so far, and I've noticed the vibrations very early on, it's all documented in my dealer's visits.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #95
DGM486
Rep
Drives: 530d

Reading about this sounds all too familiar to a problem many of us had with the E39 - Another 5 series that was biased toward comfort. My G31 has the slightest “shimmy” at speed which feels very similar to the same issue I battled on my E39 for ages. I, like many, went through all of the changing tyres, balancing, alignment which made no real difference. What fixed it completely for me and many others on the E39 was fitting new stiffer suspension bushes. I know that doesn’t help when they are probably not available for the G30 yet, but can’t help but feel the problem is too much compliance in the suspension bushes in the quest for comfort and noise isolation.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #96
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

I've noticed less vibrations after switching to non RFTs. I imagine the RFTs transmit more of the road undulations thru the bushings to the interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:29 AM   #97
Ajay Shankar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i m sport, Audi A4.

Red face Highway Vibration BMW 530i Msport

Hello guys,

Owning a Bimmer has always been a dream for me as it is the ultimate driving machine. I have an A4 that i bought in the year 2011 which is still solid good. However, i got the 2020 BMW 530i M sport with ID7 earlier this year. The car is absolute bonkers without doubt, in terms of performance usability and the technology. However compared to audi the suspension is little hard without doubt.

All that aside. The car has 18" M- Alloys with RFT. My use is majorly on the highways. There is this vibration that i feel in the car above the 100 kmph mark, untill 140- 150 kmph. Above 150 it is normal, but between 100-150 there is some vibration i feel in the driver side in steering. Passengers in front and back dont notice it unless and until they keenly look for it and notice.

This is not something that i ever felt in the A4, and considering BMWs to be a drivers car, this vibration was something that i had least expected. I thought it might be due to high tyre pressure, but even after adjusting that, i could not get rid of the vibration. I became really paranoid about it and started looking for the cause or solution and came across this thread. It gave me a big relief that i am not alone in this issue. After going through the complete thread, i understand that i need to do the Road force wheel balancing first and then if the problem persists i shall take it to the dealer and point it out to them. I have already informed about this issue to my sales represetative and another friend i know who works in the technical side of BMW.

I want more updates from you guys if any of yall got it rectified and any other solution or suggestion to deal with this. Any help or input from yall would be useful.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #98
Jul74
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 520D

Hi Guys,
Car came back a few months ago after 4 weeks at BMW.
Due to lock-down I'm not driving as much but the car vibrations have improved but its still there although much, much better. A new tyre was fitted to the car and more road-force balances where done to the tyres!! 9 new tyres so far!! Avoid Pirelli Cinturato P7.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #99
nisam
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
I have a new G30 520d xDrive which vibrates through the seats at around 120-130 km/h. (around 70-80 mph). Sometimes it happens at slightly lower speeds as well. I´ve had an alignment and road force balance done (not by BMW), but it still vibrates. It´s going in to the dealer on Monday.
Anybody else having vibration issues?
Have the same problem on my 540i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 02:07 AM   #100
Jul74
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 520D

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisam View Post
Have the same problem on my 540i
Most likely problem with the tyres. They all need to have an "unbalance" below 3kg (max) according to BMW after the road force balancing.

From what I could observe in the road force balances I've seen, the machines are not that precise and the G30/G31 needs the wheels to have like a "perfect" balancing not to vibrate. At least this is my experience with Pirelli Cinturato P7 run flat 18" tyres... I would avoid this tyres as I'd to return several because they did not allow for this "perfect" road force balancing.

In my case, I've complained to BMW and after many, many tests it improved, but I'm convinced it will come back with time, because its impossible not to hit a hole in the road and progressively start to unbalance the wheels.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #101
SpencerP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 530d M Sport Xdrive.

I had a similar problem, I got rid of the run flats and the problem went away! Car is generally way better too!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #102
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw g30 View Post
...only few people actually complains about the vibrations which is unbeliavable to me.
I never bothered complaining because I have little confidence that the dealer can fix it. So it's just a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM486 View Post
Reading about this sounds all too familiar to a problem many of us had with the E39
My E39 issues were solved with a rebalance of the tires every 5K miles. A real PITA.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #103
Ajay Shankar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i m sport, Audi A4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay Shankar View Post
Hello guys,

Owning a Bimmer has always been a dream for me as it is the ultimate driving machine. I have an A4 that i bought in the year 2011 which is still solid good.
Any help or input from yall would be useful.

Hello guys, this is an update regarding the above. The vehicle was taken in for inspection and to my utter surprise, the vehicle was found with Dent/ bends in the Alloy wheel and that solely was the reason for such vibrations. It has also been noticed from the BMW Secure advance insurance policy that the dealership located at Chennai, Madras who sold the car to me, has swapped the Original Michellin tyres with some other Good year tyres. The Dot number of the tyre in the Policy is different from the DOT number of the existing tyres. They have been caught red handed, involving in such a practise. I assume, the same play they have done with the Alloys as well. Pretty sure they have replaced the original ones with some faulty dented pre used Alloys. I wonder how they got away with it just like that. I am now demanding them to replace all the alloys and tyres free of cost, and in case they dont do it i will be escalating the matter to BMW India, and with your support and input bring such malpractise into notice to BMW AG worldwide.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #104
miguelpg
Rep
Drives: 520d

I have got same problem g30

I bought car with 2 years and 12500km

From the beginnign i felt vibration on my ass in 140km/h

I went to dealer and they changed tires and made alignment. The problem is not solved.

Very dissapoinment
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #105
bopjensen
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW I3 2019, BMW 530D M-Sport

Hi

I have the the same problem. Vibrations starting from 120km/h

I am currently on Bridgestone LM005 245/45-18.

Road force shows all wheels under 4.5kg

I found this site that appears to be from BMW stating which tires each model is tested with.

https://air.bmwgroup.com/static/manu...f/00/index.htm

Seems that only very few tires are tested with the car.

I will change my Bridgestone to Michelin Pilot Alpine 4 on monday and hopefully the problem is then resolved.

Best regards Bo

Last edited by bopjensen; 01-21-2022 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 02:59 PM   #106
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series 2021

Hello, is this update fix the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopjensen View Post
Hi

I have the the same problem. Vibrations starting from 120km/h

I am currently on Bridgestone LM005 245/45-18.

Road force shows all wheels under 4.5kg

I found this site that appears to be from BMW stating which tires each model is tested with.

https://air.bmwgroup.com/static/manu...f/00/index.htm

Seems that only very few tires are tested with the car.

I will change my Bridgestone to Michelin Pilot Alpine 4 on monday and hopefully the problem is then resolved.

Best regards Bo
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 01:37 PM   #107
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

I had this all 4 rims were bent despite the dealer finding nothing wrong on 1 previous occasion.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 04:44 AM   #108
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I had this all 4 rims were bent despite the dealer finding nothing wrong on 1 previous occasion.
after fix, is the problem gone?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 04:06 AM   #109
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes once all 4 bent rims were fixed.

I know how to post pics
Not video. I have a good video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim View Post
after fix, is the problem gone?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 05:28 AM   #110
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Let’s see if this video posts.

Nope it will not show up. Anyone can tell me how to add a video from an iPhone to this forum ?

I have a pm request to post from a
Member. It’s really just showing my car on a lift and the wheel spinning showing the rim is clearly bent all of them. I had a vibration and until one was really badly damage did they find all we damaged and my
Vibration problems went away after the repair.
Appreciate 0