BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding What do you recommand as software on Windows for coding the G31 ?

01-09-2024, 12:56 PM   #1
esmax666
Registered
Rep
Drives: G31 520d

What do you recommand as software on Windows for coding the G31 ?

Hi,
i have a ODB2 adapter wifi and i can read and delete the erros on my G31

the ODB2: https://www.amazon.de/Diagnoseger%C3...dp/B0BTHDX76F/

I would like to start also coding, i read that it s good to buy bimmerutility (better for new BMW car)

I guess my odb adpter will not work with Bimmercode OR bimmerutility? should i buy a new one ?
witch ODB2 do you recommand ?

if possible an odb2 which can be compatible with most cars?

The ODB2 will be also ok for Mercedes ? is that possible to have ODB2 + SW for AUDI + BMW + MERCEDES ?

I would like perhaps to change in 1-2 years
if possible i dont want to buy a new one

or can you recommand me a Windows Software ? i have also the ENET-Ethernet Cable <- wich software can i use on windows ?
'

Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 10:25 AM   #2
BMW_E_F_G
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i COMPETITION G30 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmax666 View Post
Hi,
i have a ODB2 adapter wifi and i can read and delete the erros on my G31

the ODB2: https://www.amazon.de/Diagnoseger%C3...dp/B0BTHDX76F/

I would like to start also coding, i read that it s good to buy bimmerutility (better for new BMW car)

I guess my odb adpter will not work with Bimmercode OR bimmerutility? should i buy a new one ?
witch ODB2 do you recommand ?

if possible an odb2 which can be compatible with most cars?

The ODB2 will be also ok for Mercedes ? is that possible to have ODB2 + SW for AUDI + BMW + MERCEDES ?

I would like perhaps to change in 1-2 years
if possible i dont want to buy a new one

or can you recommand me a Windows Software ? i have also the ENET-Ethernet Cable <- wich software can i use on windows ?
'

Thx
Hi Esmax,

I have almost every single coding software out there on the market.

The absolutely best app for smartphones is ProTool by Bimmergeeks, it is an android/ios based application which is capable of doing the following:
You will need a E-net cable (€20-30) or a OBDII dongle like MHD-Universal (€90-120) (E,F,G-series) OBDII adapter which I strongly recommend if you're going for wireless! It works with every single smartphone based app.
  • FA/VO(Vehicle order) coding
  • Resetting adaptations
  • Resetting ECU's
  • Testing different components based on the ECU's capabilities
  • Injecting external CAFD(NCD)
  • Adjusting engine parameters (like idle)
  • Diagnosing option (reading DCT's)
  • Pre-loaded cheat sheets (one click coding options)
  • Expert-mode coding (manually adjusting parameters in the modules)
  • There is also a option to see what is actually manipulated in comparison with the stock settings
  • Performance measurements like 0-62mph/0-100kmh

Long story short, it is a very well made app that can dig much deeper and have much more options than any other application. I did probably forgot some of the other features that it has.

For a windows based application I would recommend you the E-SYS software which is basically engineer grade software. Use this if you've already have done some coding in expert mode in any other software. If not I would recommend you to have a look on the YouTube channel of BimDoc. It is capable of doing the following things;
I strongly recommend you using a decent E-net cable (€20-30) and if possible in combination with a ICOM NEXT (€700-900)module.
  • Tal-Calculating
  • FSC reading
  • SFA
  • KDS
  • Anflash
  • Tal-Processing
  • VCM
  • Coding
  • NCD preparation
  • FSC Extended
  • TSL-Update
  • NAV/ENT-update
  • OBD-CVN
  • CME
  • SFA-extended
  • KDS-extended
  • FA-Editor
  • TAL-Editor
  • TALFILTER-Editor
  • SVT-Editor
  • SWESEQ-Editor
  • FSC-Editor
  • FDL-Editor
  • Anflash-editor
  • CAF-Viewer
  • LOG-Viewer
  • TALSTATUS-viewer

Be aware that E-sys is only a programming/coding software and is not capable of reading any DCT's (vehicle errors) or learning(initializing) in some components which won't function correctly after replacement or software upgrade if this is not done (after programming/replacing components you need to use another software like ISTA+/ProTool to initialize and delete errors). So, basically if you're looking for coding/programming software then give this a try since it's free for coding only (programming(Software upgrade) works only on paid versions like E-Sys Ultra launcher)

if you're looking for software which is capable of diagnosing, coding, programming, initializing (learning in) components, suggest a possible solution and some instructions/info for your problem than I'll definitely go for the original BMW software ISTA+ (Coding/programming diagnosing for F & G series) ISTA P (programming/coding E, F, G series)

ISTA P/D/+ is completely free and the safest possible solution for doing all the stuff I've mentioned. It basically cannot go wrong unless you plug out the connection cable or your battery voltage drops suddenly below possible operational voltage. If you're willing to do software update or long session coding (longer than 10min) than you MUST have a voltage stabilator (14/14.5v/80a minimum), NOT a battery charger or starter. It won't work at all.

I strongly recommend you using a decent E-net cable (€20-30) and if possible in combination with a ICOM NEXT (€700-900)module.

Greets,
Taylyan

Last edited by BMW_E_F_G; 01-19-2024 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 2