BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Photos - Video - Build Threads 2020 Alpine White 530e build thread

02-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

2020 Alpine White 530e build thread

After a long 2 and a half month wait, I finally picked up my 2020 530e from the Performance Center this past Friday, and I cannot say enough positive things about the whole PCD process! From being picked up at the airport in a loaded X5, to spending the day with Matt and Derek on the track and the off-road course, to the phenomenal food throughout. It was truly an amazing experience that I would recommend to anyone who is ordering a BMW and can travel to South Carolina to pick it up.

Haven't had much of a chance to play with the car yet, but I already have some parts I ordered before it arrived to put in, and will update the thread as things progress.

Factory options:
Alpine White Exterior / Black Dakota with Blue Stitching / Fineline Ridge Wood Trim
M-Sport Package / Executive Package / Driving Assistant Plus / Parking Assistant Plus
Front and Rear Heated Seats / Heated Steering Wheel / Harman Kardon Surround System / Night Vision w/ Pedestrian Detection

Currently Completed items:
- Color-matched IND front camera cover, front reflectors, and Gloss Black Grilles to match the rest of the M-Sport trim
- Various Coding
- Rear Fog Light switch swap and enabling (DIY can be found here)
- 4-Zone Climate Touch Control Panel swap
- Ambient Air / Ionizer retrofit, as well as the Ventilated Glove Box hose
- Rear diffuser in Gloss Black
- Black Chrome Exhaust Tips

Pending/Future Plans:
- Debadging
- Window tint
- Rear spoiler (either gloss black or color matched)
- Possibly wrapping the roof. I like the look from a distance, but I have seen some that look bad once you are up close
- Display Key / Remote Controlled Parking retrofit (on hold for now since BMW stopped selling Display Keys for vehicles that it did not come with)
- Rear Seat Entertainment retrofit
- Possibly exploring a full retrofit of the 4-zone Climate Control
- Possibly adding the Gentleman switch function from the 7-series

For those who notice in the first picture, the BMW flag is missing from its pole and the American Flag is tattered on the end. The Spartanburg area had terrible storms roll through the day before my delivery, and they had not been able to repair/replace them yet.
Attached Images

Last edited by roxxor; 05-18-2020 at 11:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Absolutely great pictures and I'm sure you'll love the car. I wish I could have done PCD, but didn't work out this time. I'll definitely do it next time!

You'll love the car! I love mine!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #3
tron1043
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

Garage List
2013 328i M-Sport  [0.00]
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
Looks great. Looking forward to updates.
      02-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
Bosstime
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i

Looks great - I have the same exterior color. Your car is US Spec, correct? I thought that only European Spec cars got the M side fender badges on the cars...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstime View Post
Looks great - I have the same exterior color. Your car is US Spec, correct? I thought that only European Spec cars got the M side fender badges on the cars...
Thanks! And yes, I thought the same too, but sure enough, they were there from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I love stealth cars and have thought about debadging but I am concerned about all the high voltage stuff in my 530e and a random repair person/tow truck operator killing himself because he didn't realize that there were these high tension wires in the car. Pretty unlikely but so was my father being blinded by one eye by a golf ball. But it did happen and I am afraid that this could happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
Dord94
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530E M sport

Wow, that is a really beautiful car! I'm hoping to get one myself over the next few months!

What your initial experience been like so far? have you got any critism over the first few days over ownership?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dord94 View Post
Wow, that is a really beautiful car! I'm hoping to get one myself over the next few months!

What your initial experience been like so far? have you got any critism over the first few days over ownership?
Other than figuring out some of the differences in the iDrive 7 system (especially with trying to add a second driver profile for my wife), I don't really have any complaints about it at all. It has already proven to be great for me when it comes to mileage, as I just averaged 34.5 mpg on a 320-ish mile trip, and as far as the luxury, it has definitely been a step up from my X3.

About the only criticism I have, if you can even call it one, has to do with getting differing results on my daily drive. My route to and from work are exactly the same, and I keep the same conditions, Max eDrive, 75-mph via cruise control, climate set at very low level since I use the climatize function before departing. On my way to work, I can get to about 2-3 miles out from my destination, and the battery runs out and ICE kicks in. On the way home from work, it will make it the entire way without needing the ICE. The only thing I can think of is that mornings have been in the mid-50's, and afternoons are 70's-80's, and that is causing the lower range on the morning drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 08:30 PM   #10
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
Other than figuring out some of the differences in the iDrive 7 system (especially with trying to add a second driver profile for my wife), I don't really have any complaints about it at all. It has already proven to be great for me when it comes to mileage, as I just averaged 34.5 mpg on a 320-ish mile trip, and as far as the luxury, it has definitely been a step up from my X3.

About the only criticism I have, if you can even call it one, has to do with getting differing results on my daily drive. My route to and from work are exactly the same, and I keep the same conditions, Max eDrive, 75-mph via cruise control, climate set at very low level since I use the climatize function before departing. On my way to work, I can get to about 2-3 miles out from my destination, and the battery runs out and ICE kicks in. On the way home from work, it will make it the entire way without needing the ICE. The only thing I can think of is that mornings have been in the mid-50's, and afternoons are 70's-80's, and that is causing the lower range on the morning drive.
You could try ECO Pro and see if that makes any difference. In a CC situation it will really just modulate temps to extend the range a bit. If you're using the seat heater you'll get a bit more range and ECO Pro will soften the Climate Control settings a bit. I haven't noticed any decrease in cabin comfort.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17420.00
      03-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

Temperature can make a difference. So can terrain. Is there any chance that the ride to work is more uphill and the ride back is more downhill? Is there a difference in traffic patterns (stop & go, etc.)?

Eventually, you will stop worrying about it and just drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 09:00 PM   #12
nisam
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i

Maybe 2020s come with euro m fender badges?!?
Anyway you looking to get the 4 zone panel look or you think you'll get extra functionality?
Look wise i have the same car (white, m sport, executive 540)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #13
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Temperature can make a difference. So can terrain. Is there any chance that the ride to work is more uphill and the ride back is more downhill? Is there a difference in traffic patterns (stop & go, etc.)?

Eventually, you will stop worrying about it and just drive.
Yeah, pretty much think it's the temperature. Otherwise they are identical road wise, and traffic is pretty much the same at both times of day. And yes, I think I've already hit that point depending on where I'm going. If it's somewhere within range and I know I can charge at the destination, or make it the whole way round trip within range, I will use Max eDrive. Otherwise, I just let it use Auto.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #14
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisam View Post
Anyway you looking to get the 4 zone panel look or you think you'll get extra functionality?
Apparently mine did at least lol. At first they stood out a bit, but after a while they just blend in.

As for the 4-Zone Climate Panel, just the panel doesn't let you do anything you couldn't do with the regular switches, so it's purely cosmetic. But since I liked the look, and have more ambitious plans down the road involving the climate system, it made sense for me to go ahead and get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 04:15 PM   #15
nisam
Private
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisam View Post
Apparently mine did at least lol. At first they stood out a bit, but after a while they just blend in.

As for the 4-Zone Climate Panel, just the panel doesn't let you do anything you couldn't do with the regular switches, so it's purely cosmetic. But since I liked the look, and have more ambitious plans down the road involving the climate system, it made sense for me to go ahead and get it.
Sounds great, will follow.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #16
roxxor
Major
Rep

Got the Rear Fog lights working finally (link in the first post), and also got my trim pieces switched out, just waiting on the car to get a bath before I get some updated pics of the front end.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #17
roxxor
Major
Rep

Got the gloss black rear diffuser installed this weekend, along with the black chrome exhaust tips, which I did a quick ceramic coating on to make them easier to clean. Dash cam gets installed later today!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #18
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

Quote:
Got the gloss black rear diffuser installed this weekend, along with the black chrome exhaust tips, which I did a quick ceramic coating on to make them easier to clean. Dash cam gets installed later today!
Is that Mineral or alpine white as shine is like mirror and looks stunning. Probably waxed/polished on the day you clicked pictures?
Appreciate 0