BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Battery range on pre-LCI vs LCI.

11-30-2020, 03:35 AM   #1
mike1110
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e iPerformance

Battery range on pre-LCI vs LCI.

Hi Guys.
I need your help regarding the battery capacity on the 530e LCI (MY 2021) and the 530e pre-LCI (MY2020) model.

Guys can you’ll please tell me what is the actual usable capacity of the batteries in both of this models especially the LCI.

Based on my findings:
530e (MY 2020) : Gross capacity :12kWh, Actual usable : 10.8 kWh
530e LCI : Gross capacity : 12 kWh , Actual usable : ? (Not sure)

Can someone please tell me what is the actual usable capacity of the LCI and whether there will be a difference with the pre-LCI (MY2020) in terms of range.

Thanks and have a great day.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 04:55 AM   #2
Xbhp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530 MSport

I've got MY2020 with 12kwh battery and AFAIK both battery capacity are same i.e. 10.8kwh usable. Only advantage of LCI (interms of power) is xtraboost which provides an additional 40bhp for 10 seconds.
I would say don't worry about actual usable battery capacity as there are variables to battery performance- Here's winter and best range i see is 30km where as its over 40km in summer.
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2020, 08:10 AM   #3
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
As Xbhp noted, the battery is unchanged between the two.

The LCI will probably have worse range than the Pre-LCI if you activate XtraBoost a lot since that will run the EV motor in an extra power mode. It will likely go untested in the EPA and WLTP range calculations due to it only being activated under heavy acceleration. But the LCI may have slightly better range due to drive train efficiencies. Though I haven't yet seen reviews highlighting this via a direct comparison.

From a battery capacity and range perspective these two MY cars should be largely the same.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      11-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
mike1110
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
As Xbhp noted, the battery is unchanged between the two.

The LCI will probably have worse range than the Pre-LCI if you activate XtraBoost a lot since that will run the EV motor in an extra power mode. It will likely go untested in the EPA and WLTP range calculations due to it only being activated under heavy acceleration. But the LCI may have slightly better range due to drive train efficiencies. Though I haven't yet seen reviews highlighting this via a direct comparison.

From a battery capacity and range perspective these two MY cars should be largely the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbhp View Post
I've got MY2020 with 12kwh battery and AFAIK both battery capacity are same i.e. 10.8kwh usable. Only advantage of LCI (interms of power) is xtraboost which provides an additional 40bhp for 10 seconds.
I would say don't worry about actual usable battery capacity as there are variables to battery performance- Here's winter and best range i see is 30km where as its over 40km in summer.
Thank for the help guys. Planning to get a 530e M Sport (MY 2020) as the 530e LCI won’t be out in my country until 2022 based on the release cycle in my country.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

You cannot be sure that BMW will not increase the battery capacity in MY2022. Using the i3 as an example, the battery capacity was increased each time BMW implemented a new "generation" of battery cells in subsequent model years. The 12.0 kwh battery will have been in production for two years and with the iX, BMW will probably be introducing another "generation" of battery cells to get their portended range. BMW typically uses their next generation of battery cell technology throughout their range of EV products, so if the iX gets a new battery, it's likely to be throughout the model range. That means more capacity in the same space. I think most of us that have toe 12.0 kwh battery would like to have another 2 or 3 kwh capacity. For me, that would give me 100% of my local use on battery, as compared to 90% now. If there are no other reasons for pressing ahead now, you should consider waiting for the 2022 introduction.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
You cannot be sure that BMW will not increase the battery capacity in MY2022. Using the i3 as an example, the battery capacity was increased each time BMW implemented a new "generation" of battery cells in subsequent model years. The 12.0 kwh battery will have been in production for two years and with the iX, BMW will probably be introducing another "generation" of battery cells to get their portended range. BMW typically uses their next generation of battery cell technology throughout their range of EV products, so if the iX gets a new battery, it's likely to be throughout the model range. That means more capacity in the same space. I think most of us that have toe 12.0 kwh battery would like to have another 2 or 3 kwh capacity. For me, that would give me 100% of my local use on battery, as compared to 90% now. If there are no other reasons for pressing ahead now, you should consider waiting for the 2022 introduction.
The price parity that existed prior to the LCI likely helps to make the MY2020 a much better deal than MY2021 or MY2022. Something to keep in mind.

This shaved over $5500 off my 530e via a government rebate allowing me to start day 1 a bit ahead. As BMW creeps up pricing on the 530e they may end up like other manufacturers were they recapture the rebate.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      11-30-2020, 07:53 PM   #7
mike1110
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
Quote:
The price parity that existed prior to the LCI likely helps to make the MY2020 a much better deal than MY2021 or MY2022. Something to keep in mind.

This shaved over $5500 off my 530e via a government rebate allowing me to start day 1 a bit ahead. As BMW creeps up pricing on the 530e they may end up like other manufacturers were they recapture the rebate.
Owh...I see. That’s something to look into since they might upgrade the battery just as they did on the pre-lci.
Anyways, was there a big leap in price between the LCI and the pre-LCI for the 530e. Can you’ll explain it to me like without including government taxes.

The pre-lci is quite cheap now due to so many offers.

Last edited by mike1110; 11-30-2020 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelsenraj View Post
Owh...I see. That’s something to look into since they might upgrade the battery just as they did on the pre-lci.
Anyways, was there a big leap in price between the LCI and the pre-LCI for the 530e. Can you’ll explain it to me like without including government taxes.

The pre-lci is quite cheap now due to so many offers.
In the US BMWNA raised the price of the LCI 530e to be $3K more expensive than the 530i. Prior to the MY2021 LCI the 530e was priced exactly the same as the 530i.

Since the MY2020 has the exact same battery capacity as the LCI and the LCI changes are minimal at best I'd say that MY2020 is a far better buy than the LCI if you're looking at the 530e. But this reality may vary in other markets and if you're specifically interested in some of the LCI changes.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      12-01-2020, 02:34 AM   #9
mike1110
Rep

Guys,I live in Malaysia and when I asked the dealer whether the 530e (MY2020) has a 12kWh battery or a 9.2 kWh battery they’re telling is 9.2kWh.
Can this be possible or they just don’t know about the car. I even saw the car at the showroom and it had iDrive 7 however they’re saying the battery is 9.2 kWh.
I’m really so confused now.
What do you’ll think ?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 07:23 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

The 9.2 KWH battery is the original. The 12 KWH battery is the newer version. In both cases, BMW only lets the user use about 80% for driving saving the other 20% to preserve the life of the battery pack (I say about 80% because I believe that within reason, BMW lets the user use some of the remaining 20% for boost).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #11
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Guys,I live in Malaysia and when I asked the dealer whether the 530e (MY2020) has a 12kWh battery or a 9.2 kWh battery they’re telling is 9.2kWh.
Can this be possible or they just don’t know about the car. I even saw the car at the showroom and it had iDrive 7 however they’re saying the battery is 9.2 kWh.
I’m really so confused now.
What do you’ll think ?
I believe they are wrong as the 12kWh battery change was global. But I would reach out to BMW in Malaysia to be sure as I don’t want to say they are wrong since BMW does do things differently across the world.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      12-02-2020, 11:15 PM   #12
mike1110
Rep

Quote:
I believe they are wrong as the 12kWh battery change was global. But I would reach out to BMW in Malaysia to be sure as I don’t want to say they are wrong since BMW does do things differently across the world.
Guys, I reached out to BMW and The reply I got from the representative of BMW’s live chat states that the battery is 9.2 kWh.
However I did manage to find some differences in the car’s 2019 and 2020 brochure. For instance the 0-100km/h acceleration was changed from 6.2s to 6.1s. Not only that the fuel consumption has changed from 2.3L to 2.0L ,cO2 emissions has changed from 53g/km to 46g/km and the max torque(Nm) of the battery has also increased to 265Nm. I will link both the old and new brochure below and also the live chat.
So based on the brochure changes, do you’ll think the battery was upgraded.
Really confused. The batttery capacity is not stated on the brochure by the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
mike1110
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Guys, I reached out to BMW and The reply I got from the representative of BMW’s live chat states that the battery is 9.2 kWh.
However I did manage to find some differences in the car’s 2019 and 2020 brochure. For instance the 0-100km/h acceleration was changed from 6.2s to 6.1s. Not only that the fuel consumption has changed from 2.3L to 2.0L ,cO2 emissions has changed from 53g/km to 46g/km and the max torque(Nm) of the battery has also increased to 265Nm. I will link both the old and new brochure below and also the live chat.
So based on the brochure changes, do you’ll think the battery was upgraded.
Really confused. The batttery capacity is not stated on the brochure by the way.
Guys,any idea of which is true ? I still have a feeling it is 12 kWh. I just want to know what you’ll think of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 11:03 PM   #14
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Guys,any idea of which is true ? I still have a feeling it is 12 kWh. I just want to know what you’ll think of it.
The BMW site in Malaysia still says 9.2 so it is possible they are slow to update, but it is also possible they decided to not upgrade the battery capacity. It is also possible they report battery capacity differently in Malaysia as well. Meaning... In the US even with the 12kWh batter you only have about 9.2 or so "usable" capacity. Perhaps they report that instead so it looks like they haven't bumped it up.

Again... All speculation.

But in face of BMW saying differently I'd say trust BMW. Especially since they do make quite unique market specific tweaks to their cars in markets around the world.

You get a 5y/unlimited mile factory warranty w/ included maintenance and 8y/160K or something on the HV battery. So you're still ahead even if they may have limited the capacity upgrade for you.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 03:17 AM   #15
Wivenhoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e - delivered Nov 19

Quote:

You get a 5y/unlimited mile factory warranty w/ included maintenance and 8y/160K or something on the HV battery. So you're still ahead even if they may have limited the capacity upgrade for you.
Looking at the BMW Malaysia site the 6 year battery warranty on a 530e and can be extended to 8 years or 160k kilometres. The extended warranty costs RM2,200 which seems very reasonable at circa £ 400 or $ 550.

They changed the battery coverage in the UK this year - before they would replace the battery in the 6 years / 60k if the battery fell below 70% but now it’s only warranted against total failure so it could deplete by 90% and you still wouldn’t have a claim.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 03:21 AM   #16
mike1110
Rep

Quote:
The BMW site in Malaysia still says 9.2 so it is possible they are slow to update, but it is also possible they decided to not upgrade the battery capacity. It is also possible they report battery capacity differently in Malaysia as well. Meaning... In the US even with the 12kWh batter you only have about 9.2 or so "usable" capacity. Perhaps they report that instead so it looks like they haven't bumped it up.

Again... All speculation.

But in face of BMW saying differently I'd say trust BMW. Especially since they do make quite unique market specific tweaks to their cars in markets around the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wivenhoe View Post
Looking at the BMW Malaysia site the 6 year battery warranty on a 530e and can be extended to 8 years or 160k kilometres. The extended warranty costs RM2,200 which seems very reasonable at circa £ 400 or $ 550.

They changed the battery coverage in the UK this year - before they would replace the battery in the 6 years / 60k if the battery fell below 70% but now it’s only warranted against total failure so it could deplete by 90% and you still wouldn’t have a claim.
Thanks guys.
I went with the MY2020 530e. Overall I’m very happy with the purchase and thank you very much for your quick answers.
Appreciate 0