BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Active Guard

02-21-2017, 04:56 AM   #1
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport Med Blue

Active Guard

I note my G30 on order has BMW Active Guard fitted as standard. I can find no definitive reference anywhere as to what this actually does or what are its technical specifications. I assume its similar to Volvo City Safety, i.e. automatic breaking at low speeds to prevent collisions. I picked up a G30 brochure which refers to "Person Warning with city breaking function" as an option, and which operates at up to 35mph. As usual, BMW marketing material is extremely vague on what some of these features actually mean. A search through forum posts didn't leave me much wiser - anybody care to enlighten me???!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 05:16 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

02-21-2017, 05:28 AM   #3
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Thanks E90Fleet ...I guessed it was something like that but am still confused as to whether there are different iterations of the system, ie what speed it works at, whether it fully brakes the car or just decelerates. Never experienced any evidence of such a system on my MY2015 F10.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY View Post
Thanks E90Fleet ...I guessed it was something like that but am still confused as to whether there are different iterations of the system, ie what speed it works at, whether it fully brakes the car or just decelerates. Never experienced any evidence of such a system on my MY2015 F10.

More info

Quote:
The collision warning with city brake activation (City Collision Mitigation option OE ZN3) adds a brake
activation function to the camera-based collision warning from a speed of roughly 5 km/h up to a maximum speed of 80 km/h. If there is still no response￿from the driver in this speed range after an
acute warning is issued, the vehicle is decelerated at a maximum rate of 4 m/sē.

The duration of the brake intervention is limited to approximately 1.5 seconds.
Additional dangers for the traffic behind are therefore avoided.
Quote:
The pedestrian warning with city braking function (Daytime pedestrian detection OE ZN2) is designed to prevent possible collisions with pedestrians in urban￿areas or reduce￿the effects of an accident. The
system warns of a possible collision with pedestrians from a speed of approximately 10 km/h up to a maximum speed of 60 km/h and assists the driver with a brake intervention shortly before a collision.
The KAFAS stereo camera captures the scene in front of the vehicle and detects pedestrians in the field of view using image processing.
Example of person recognition by KAFAS camera
Based on the calculated positions, distances and the movement of the detected pedestrians, an acute warning is issued in critical situations. An early warning is not available for the pedestrian warning with city braking function (OE ZN2).

With an acute warning the vehicle is decelerated by roughly 4 m/sē. The duration of the brake intervention is limited to approximately 1.5 seconds. Additional dangers for the traffic behind are therefore avoided.
Quote:
Brake intervention

With the camera based, collision warning w/ city collision￿mitigation (OE ZN3 included with OE 5AS);
If the driver no longer has the option to avoid the accident￿with his own response, automatic brake intervention is effected as a last step. The brake intervention is effected at a brake force of about￿4 m/ sē (camera based) and can have the effect of avoiding a collision up to a differential speed of about 18 km/h.

At￿higher differential speeds the impact speed is reduced by a smaller amount. Just like the driver can support the effect of the system, he also has the option of overriding and thus cancelling
the automatic panic braking at any time with a steering wheel movement (avoidance maneuver), by accelerating or with a sharp brake intervention.
With the camera and radar￿based, collision warning system (included with OE 5AT);
If the driver no longer has the option to avoid the accident with his own response, automatic brake intervention is effected as a last step.

The￿brake intervention is effected at a brake force of about 8 m/sē (camera/radar based) and can have the effect of avoiding a collision up to a differential speed (delta) of about 30 km/
h. Therefore, both systems can bring car to a stop, the difference is that you are more likely to see this happen in a 5AT car then a 5AS car. This is why 5AS is referred to as “city collision MITIGATION”
because￿this is the more likely use case as opposed to “AVOIDANCE” with 5AT.

The brake intervention is effected￿for pedestrians in the speed range between 10 and 60 km/h and for vehicles int he speed range between 5 and 60 km/h.
For a brake intervention to be possible, the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) must be switched on.

Last edited by E90Fleet; 02-21-2017 at 06:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #5
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Thanks again E90Fleet, most comprehensive! But...my configurator print out which I used to place the order with the dealer lists Active Guard as standard, but the order form from the dealer makes no mention of it (nor indeed some of the other items listed on the configurator) so I guess its back to the dealer to see what exact code the configurator is referring to! This should be a lot simpler in my opinion!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
MochiEater
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

No information on the G30 yet. But here is some information on the F10 from IIHS testing so you figure the G30 probably won't do any worse. It earns a Superior rating for a vehicle equipped with DAP + ACC Stop & Go.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...s-4-door-sedan

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ash-prevention

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ash-prevention
2018 330e - Driver Assistance Plus, Adaptive LED Lights (decoded VLD), Active Blind Spot Detection, ACC Stop & Go, Parking Assistant, Side/Top Cameras, HUD, Comfort Access, 225/45R18 255/40R18 Pirelli Cinturato P7 + Winter Sotozero Serie II
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 03:47 AM   #7
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Interesting, got my VIN number yesterday for car arriving next week and plugged into BMW site

... it also has Active Guard as 'standard' As I understand it this needs a camera at front to avoid hitting pedestrian's or cars in front...?

I only have reversing camera, no front camera related package.... so wonder how it detects, i.e. what camera does it use

Equipment
Selection of COP-relevant vehicles
CO2 equipment
BMW LA wheel M double spoke 662
Dynamic Damper Control
Extra package, EU-speciifc
Tyres with runflat properties
Wheel bolt locks
Automatic transmission w/ shift paddles
Tyre pressure display
Alarm system
Deleted, model lettering
M Sports package
Reversing camera
Omission of additional lettering, outer
Sun protection glazing
Floor mats velours
Warning triangle and first aid kit
Seat adjustment, electric, with memory
Sports seat
Seat heating driver/passenger
Instrument panel Sensatec
Interior trim alu.rhomb.w.accent strip
Outside mirror with auto dip
Ambient interior light
Park Distance Control (PDC)
Automatic air conditioning
Additional 12V sockets
LED Fog lights
High-beam assistant
Active Guard
Navigation system Professional
CD player
DAB tuner
HiFi speaker system
Intelligent emergency call
Teleservices
Connected Drive Services
Real-Time Traffic Information
ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT
Telephony with wireless charging
Multifunctional instrument display
WLAN Hotspot
M leather steering wheel
M Aerodynamics package
High gloss shadow line
Headlining anthracite
silver 2
Dummy-SALAPA
On-board literature, English
Dummy-SALAPA
Refrigerant R1234yf
Coding, alarm signal
Automatic locking during starting
Car ident. number visible from outside
Active pedestrian protection
Thiefproofing device
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:30 AM   #8
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
Interesting, got my VIN number yesterday for car arriving next week and plugged into BMW site

... it also has Active Guard as 'standard' As I understand it this needs a camera at front to avoid hitting pedestrian's or cars in front...?

I only have reversing camera, no front camera related package.... so wonder how it detects, i.e. what camera does it use

Equipment
Selection of COP-relevant vehicles
CO2 equipment
BMW LA wheel M double spoke 662
Dynamic Damper Control
Extra package, EU-speciifc
Tyres with runflat properties
Wheel bolt locks
Automatic transmission w/ shift paddles
Tyre pressure display
Alarm system
Deleted, model lettering
M Sports package
Reversing camera
Omission of additional lettering, outer
Sun protection glazing
Floor mats velours
Warning triangle and first aid kit
Seat adjustment, electric, with memory
Sports seat
Seat heating driver/passenger
Instrument panel Sensatec
Interior trim alu.rhomb.w.accent strip
Outside mirror with auto dip
Ambient interior light
Park Distance Control (PDC)
Automatic air conditioning
Additional 12V sockets
LED Fog lights
High-beam assistant
Active Guard
Navigation system Professional
CD player
DAB tuner
HiFi speaker system
Intelligent emergency call
Teleservices
Connected Drive Services
Real-Time Traffic Information
ONLINE ENTERTAINMENT
Telephony with wireless charging
Multifunctional instrument display
WLAN Hotspot
M leather steering wheel
M Aerodynamics package
High gloss shadow line
Headlining anthracite
silver 2
Dummy-SALAPA
On-board literature, English
Dummy-SALAPA
Refrigerant R1234yf
Coding, alarm signal
Automatic locking during starting
Car ident. number visible from outside
Active pedestrian protection
Thiefproofing device
You appear to have Auto High Beam - which uses a camera in front of the central rear view mirror as far as I know. I see Active Pedestrian Protection listed second last - which confuses me, assumed that was what Active Guard was?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 05:38 AM   #9
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY View Post
You appear to have Auto High Beam - which uses a camera in front of the central rear view mirror as far as I know. I see Active Pedestrian Protection listed second last - which confuses me, assumed that was what Active Guard was?
Active Pedestrian Protection is something else I think... it is a standard feature, even on F10 where the front bonnet automatically raises itself at the rear to make the impacted pedestrian roll up the bonnet and reduce and absorb direct impact with the windscreen.

It does this by detecting physical impact at front, with sensors and uses pistons with compressed air near bonnet hinges to blast the rear up Have a look at your current one...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:03 AM   #10
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Active Pedestrian Protection is something else I think... it is a standard feature, even on F10 where the front bonnet automatically raises itself at the rear to make the impacted pedestrian roll up the bonnet and reduce and absorb direct impact with the windscreen.

It does this by detecting physical impact at front, with sensors and uses pistons with compressed air near bonnet hinges to blast the rear up Have a look at your current one...
So it does, according to my VIN!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 06:29 AM   #11
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:

The camera for this system is by the rear view mirror on the windscreen
      02-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #12
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
The camera for this system is by the rear view mirror on the windscreen
OK. So it is obviously very basic (slows the car) without giving visible or audible warnings... since I have none of the warning type packages
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #13
nickyhaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Quote:
OK. So it is obviously very basic (slows the car) without giving visible or audible warnings... since I have none of the warning type packages
im not sure if it was active guard or my ACC but when two cars on the motorway two cars ahead of me where messing with eachother (breaking hard) the system detected that and i got alerted (little car symbol in the dash and a beeping sound) .. i was quick enough myself to break so im not sure if the car would actually break by itself ..
Appreciate 0