BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New G30 / 530D M Sport Drive

02-24-2017, 08:41 AM   #23
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I don't relate to your comments about the F10/11 steering at all. Never had any inconsistency or odd weighting.
I know, Pete. It's odd to me too. I read many of your helpful posts about wheel and suspension choices on the F10 on this forum before I bought my first 535d, and pretty much everything you said tallied with my subsequent experience. On steering feel I don't know if I've been unlucky with having 2 cars with tracking or PAS faults or whether it's all just much more subjective. I just know that a Ford Mondeo, hell even my old Ford S-Maxes, had more likeable and predictable steering feel and weight than either of my F10s !
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
I know, Pete. It's odd to me too. I read many of your helpful posts about wheel and suspension choices on the F10 on this forum before I bought my first 535d, and pretty much everything you said tallied with my subsequent experience. On steering feel I don't know if I've been unlucky with having 2 cars with tracking or PAS faults or whether it's all just much more subjective. I just know that a Ford Mondeo, hell even my old Ford S-Maxes, had more likeable and predictable steering feel and weight than either of my F10s !
I do believe there are variations in steering quality on the F10/F11 models. Experienced it myself, to a degree, where one 530d wasn't as good as other models I test drove.

The fact I never think about my steering for weight or predictability, says something, as I'm normally pretty hot on anything that doesn't feel right. Other than a bit more tightness straight ahead, (it is precise) and some more feedback (common complaints with EPS), I like the way my car's servotronic is set up. Loads up in the bends, not as much as some cars, but perfectly balanced and consistent to feel right. Makes working through the 'twisties' easy and rewarding, no oddities at all.
Appreciate 1
SDRX204.00
      02-24-2017, 01:10 PM   #25
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I do believe there are variations in steering quality on the F10/F11 models. Experienced it myself, to a degree, where one 530d wasn't as good as other models I test drove.

The fact I never think about my steering for weight or predictability, says something, as I'm normally pretty hot on anything that doesn't feel right. Other than a bit more tightness straight ahead, (it is precise) and some more feedback (common complaints with EPS), I like the way my car's servotronic is set up. Loads up in the bends, not as much as some cars, but perfectly balanced and consistent to feel right. Makes working through the 'twisties' easy and rewarding, no oddities at all.
They must have got the last F10's right as mine has a very nice feel to it.
SDRX204.00
      03-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #26
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Just tried another G30, this was a 520d on standard SE suspension and 19" wheels (why?!). Thoughts compared to 530d xdrive MSport on 20s:

1) Ride and handling:
- it didn't give the same confidence as the previous one: I think the increased bounciness and body roll of the SE suspension is to blame for that;
- ride comfort was no better, maybe worse;
- road noise was the same.
It seems to me that the new stiffer body and mounting points of the G30 are absorbing short duration high amplitude forces sent up through the MSport suspension without the scuttle and shake that you get in the F10, so you don't need to avoid MSport suspension for the ride to feel comfortable, indeed MSport may actually be more comfortable because longer duration forces (cornering, road undulation) cause less pitching.

2) Other thoughts:
- the 2.0d engine is very pleasant for a 4 cylinder diesel, always quiet, refined, powerful enough for UK roads and traffic, I would have no qualms about living with it day in day out if that was all that was on offer;
- I am now pretty sure I like the interior LESS than the F10. It seems "busier" and gaudier, when I want minimalist and understated.

Upshot - I am slightly frustrated. It seems I may need to go MSport to get the handling and ride compromise I am looking for, but it's a lot of money to spend based on extrapolation and guesswork. Probably going to need to wait a while and drive a couple of other cars to try to find the sweet spot in handling/ride/NVH.

Going to treat my F10 to a new set of tyres as it isn't going to be px'd any time soon !
Appreciate 0