BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Question about leather dashboard option

01-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #1
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Question about leather dashboard option

First of all, Happy New Year everyone!

I think I'm about to order a 540i. I know all the options, color I want, etc.

Just curious about the leather dashboard option...

I'm wondering just how much leather I'll actually get. The top of the dashboard is covered in leather I assume. Everything above the wood trim and surrounding the upper instrumentation, right?

What about below the wood trim? Is the area around the climate control buttons covered in leather? What about the glove box? Are those areas leather or SensaTec?

I'm hoping Leather Dashboard means entire dashboard, and not just the dashboard above the wood trim.

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks.
      01-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #2
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
It’s just the area above the wood trim. Unless you go with individual leather
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 11:45 PM   #3
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

The leather dash option just changes the black area above the trim. I have it and it is very nice and worth it if luxury is your goal. I have the IND Merino leather so it includes a lot more leather. The nice part is the leather dash and leather window sills have matching stitching to the seats. Check out pics below for comparison of what is leather and what is leather like (black area). The last pic is my IND leather dash.
Attached Images

01-11-2019, 05:43 AM   #4
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone. Appreciate you taking time to answer my question.
      01-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Why it is called a "leather dash" in many ways the nicest part of it is the door tops. They are finished in the same leather as the dash and really set off the doors.

Having said that, if I could have waited the extra months (which I couldn't), I would have ordered the individual merino leather option.
Appreciate 3
clee1982796.00
NGT25409.50
      01-11-2019, 09:40 AM   #6
Bymep
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i; sold 2003 330Ci

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [0.00]
I do like the leather dash and am still glad I ordered it. However, after ordering I saw some of the pics like those above showing the contrast stitching that matches the seats as part of the individual package, and was hoping that came as well. Sadly no. The standalone leather dash is black with black stitching. If you look at it in the sun, you can see it is good quality, but otherwise it doesnt stand out.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bymep View Post
I do like the leather dash and am still glad I ordered it. However, after ordering I saw some of the pics like those above showing the contrast stitching that matches the seats as part of the individual package, and was hoping that came as well. Sadly no. The standalone leather dash is black with black stitching. If you look at it in the sun, you can see it is good quality, but otherwise it doesnt stand out.
Yeah, I am sort of a disappointed. I expected it to be like the full leather in an M3. It won't be a deal breaker for me though.

Individual leather looks sweet, but that will put me over budget (even if I get a 7% or 8% discount off of MSRP).

Last edited by ///M-er-gized; 01-11-2019 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 06:43 AM   #8
Mohawkay
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

I understand that this thread about the leather dashboard option is four years old, but it's always helpful to clarify such details when making a significant purchase decision. Even though the thread is older, the question you raised is still relevant to anyone considering a similar option.
For more up-to-date information, you might want to visit the manufacturer's website or consult with a local dealership. Additionally, if you're interested in the broader world of leather and its applications, you can explore https://vonbaer.com/blogs/blog/leather. It provides valuable insights. I hope you find the answers you're looking for and that your 540i purchase goes smoothly!

Last edited by Mohawkay; 10-31-2023 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 03:55 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawkay View Post
I understand that this thread about the leather dashboard option is four years old, but it's always helpful to clarify such details when making a significant purchase decision. Even though the thread is older, the question you raised is still relevant to anyone considering a similar option.
The G30 is no longer bring produced by BMW at the point. They are onto the G60.

So, there won’t be anyone ordering the leather dash option now. I don’t think it is an option the G60 yet.

But there will be some who will find G30s used with this option on it. Which will give them a chance to see how well it has held up over the years. I skipped it on my G30 mainly due to concerns I wouldn’t be able to keep the leather wall maintained due to the tight space between the dash and the windshield. But not everyone plans to own their G30 for 7 years minimum.
Appreciate 0