BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Engine off/door open/radio still on

01-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #23
LexProf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

It's not the seatbelt that makes the difference. It is whether you have your foot on the brakepedal or not when hitting the off button. In other words, if the car is in Park and you don't have your foot on the brake, the car will do one thing, but if you foot is pressing the foot brake, the car will do another.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #24
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

I park in my garage and do this each time. Press start/stop, press hold radio button and everything turns off except ambient lights which time out. Actually most of the time just getting out does the trick but noticed once radio stayed on. I'm thinking maybe brake is the missing piece.
      01-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #25
reesch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G30 540ix

This can be coded to turn off radio and interior gear when the driver door is opened after engine off. I've coded my F10 to do this and it works well.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #26
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesch View Post
This can be coded to turn off radio and interior gear when the driver door is opened after engine off. I've coded my F10 to do this and it works well.
I'm shocked this thread is still going!

Exit vehicle
Lock doors with remote
Drive somewhere
Repeat
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      01-26-2019, 01:25 AM   #27
1uscfan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
I finally cracked the radio off/door open puzzle. If you press the engine button before undoing your seatbelt then everything will turn off when you open the door. If on the other hand you undo your seatbelt before pressing the engine button then the radio will stay on when you open the door.
Big thanks for this post. This issue was driving me crazy!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #28
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesch View Post
I'm shocked this thread is still going!

Exit vehicle
Lock doors with remote
Drive somewhere
Repeat
You forgot to press start/stop button to shut off engine.

Because of all of these keyless systems now days people exit their cars with the engines still running and walk away without a minute's notice..

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #29
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
You forgot to press start/stop button to shut off engine.

Because of all of these keyless systems now days people exit their cars with the engines still running and walk away without a minute's notice..
Hence why that annoying/embarrassing honk is there! I'm sure we've all done it at least once. It's happened to me when I've got into a store with someone still in the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:33 PM   #30
thomaswang573@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: 218 i

Talking a function

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
I finally cracked the radio off/door open puzzle. If you press the engine button before undoing your seatbelt then everything will turn off when you open the door. If on the other hand you undo your seatbelt before pressing the engine button then the radio will stay on when you open the door.
this function can be cancelled by the hidden coding
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:47 AM   #31
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kDub2019 View Post
I am forgetful and grab things out of the car. My house is 3 levels with the garage being on the bottom. So if I don’t have the key I have to go to the third level to get the key. Yes I could lock it. Yes I could keep my key on the second floor. But a better question is why does the car not turn off like every other car brand?
This is probably my biggest nit with the G30. Locking is the only way I've figured out how to reliably shut everything off after I get home.

But, I've never had to lock cars in my garage before, so I've gotten into the habit of getting things from/putting things in the cars just at random times throughout the day. I work from home so lots of times I'll go stuff drycleaning or a package or a shopping list or whatever in there that I know I'll need on my next trip. Or if I've just come back from a bunch of shopping/errands, I'll gradually unload through the day rather than all at once.

Now, it's annoying when I wander out there and don't have a key on me. I've tried the radio button thing, but then everything just turns back on the next time I open a door.

Yes, I could change my car loading/unloading habits. But I feel like a $90k vehicle should adapt to my needs, not the other way around.
Appreciate 1
Aud Dr243.00
      01-29-2019, 02:52 AM   #32
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

Same. Shouldn't be an issue. None of my other bimmers were hard to turn off. lol. or sigh. or cry. or wtf... push off and turn the f--- off.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #33
justinu909
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9818 440i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I agree this is crazy. I called BMW customer service today and said I can’t figure out how to turn off the car - I have a Masters degree in Computer Science!! I keep it in my garage and I don’t lock the car. After being on hold for a few minutes she told me to press the radio power button until it turns off (radio button also turns off the digital dash). Great!!

So tonight I tried it and the radio turned off but the angle lights stayed on...not just to light the path for a few minutes but stuck on. Last few mornings they stayed on overnight. Yes my lights are set to auto. I played with turning the lights off but did the same thing. It also keeps the ambient lighting on inside and random orange buttons. I don’t think it’s a feature.

I will try the seatbelt trick next but I don’t remember my 2004 530i doing this and my eClass I had for 7 years never had a problem turning off. In fact this is the only car I have ever owned or rented that won’t turn off. I also bought a 530e and it did the same thing. I returned the 530e because the battery only lasted 30 minutes in gas battery mode. It only lasts 15 minutes in battery mode.

2 years and 11 months and back to Mercedes.

I have a customer who purchased a 2018 X3 a few months back and immediately she was calling saying her headlights are staying on for over an hour pretty often (garage parked). I checked out her settings a couple of times and everything was normal, pathway lights only set for 20 seconds. Eventually we brought the car in for service & no issues were found. I was thinking maybe a faulty light sensor but nothing. Sometimes reprogramming does the trick...?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 10:17 AM   #34
12cylinders
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i xDrive

I have a 2019 M550i, before that a 2016 550i, and before that a 2013 550i.

They've all had this weird obsession with wanting to stay powered on after the car has been stopped and I have shut off the engine.

99.9999% of the time, I get in the car, turn it on, drive to where I'm going, shut the engine off, and then exit the vehicle. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but isn't this what most people do?

Are other people really sitting in their car that frequently after shutting off the engine that this process is justified?

Every so often, maybe once every few months, I might have a need or desire to sit in the car with the infotainment system on, but that is truly an exception and could easily be addressed by just hitting the Start/Stop button to turn on the infotainment system.

It seems like a strange and incorrectly balanced tradeoff to have this overly complicated shutoff procedure in exchange for the "convenience" of that once a quarter situation where I might want to sit in the car with the radio on after I shut off the engine.
Appreciate 2
Warp Ten627.00
Aud Dr243.00
      01-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #35
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12cylinders View Post
I have a 2019 M550i, before that a 2016 550i, and before that a 2013 550i.
I'm seeing a pattern here.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #36
Bimmertrashjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinu909 View Post
Quote:
I agree this is crazy. I called BMW customer service today and said I can't figure out how to turn off the car - I have a Masters degree in Computer Science!! I keep it in my garage and I don't lock the car. After being on hold for a few minutes she told me to press the radio power button until it turns off (radio button also turns off the digital dash). Great!!

So tonight I tried it and the radio turned off but the angle lights stayed on...not just to light the path for a few minutes but stuck on. Last few mornings they stayed on overnight. Yes my lights are set to auto. I played with turning the lights off but did the same thing. It also keeps the ambient lighting on inside and random orange buttons. I don't think it's a feature.

I will try the seatbelt trick next but I don't remember my 2004 530i doing this and my eClass I had for 7 years never had a problem turning off. In fact this is the only car I have ever owned or rented that won't turn off. I also bought a 530e and it did the same thing. I returned the 530e because the battery only lasted 30 minutes in gas battery mode. It only lasts 15 minutes in battery mode.

2 years and 11 months and back to Mercedes.

I have a customer who purchased a 2018 X3 a few months back and immediately she was calling saying her headlights are staying on for over an hour pretty often (garage parked). I checked out her settings a couple of times and everything was normal, pathway lights only set for 20 seconds. Eventually we brought the car in for service & no issues were found. I was thinking maybe a faulty light sensor but nothing. Sometimes reprogramming does the trick...?
I had a long conversation with BMW NA yesterday, as they called for my input on the M550. My first bit of feedback was on this subject. I explained not only my experience with this function as well as the people on this thread. She gave me suggestions listed in this thread and I explained how none of the them worked 100% of the time. My take was that the majority of us that garage our autos don't lock them and don't want to babysit them to make sure it completely shuts off. She was taking notes to pass along to her management as well as the engineers in Germany. We also spoke about other things such as auto start/stop feature, apple car play, color choices and some exterior features. She seemed as if they were truly interested in feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #37
12cylinders
Rep

Quote:
I'm boring and stick to what I know...?

Did strongly consider a Tesla this time, but I just like the interior fit and finish of BMW and the sound of the V8.
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2019, 11:23 AM   #38
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I'm boring and stick to what I know...?

Did strongly consider a Tesla this time, but I just like the interior fit and finish of BMW and the sound of the V8.
Why change a good thing? You can't code a Tesla like we can. You can't even buy replacement parts from Tesla. It's too much of a closed system. #BMW4Life
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #39
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Your own garage is probably a very US centric thing, I would imagine the lock the cars shuts everything off works for a lot people. Also look at the suburb here so many people park on driveway instead of garage for whatever reason
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #40
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I follow a local Tesla group on Facebook. Setting aside the attitudes of many of the people in that group, it seems like there are still lots of quality issues with the cars - both fit/finish and actual mechanicals. Some of the most popular posts are suggestions for the best flatbed tow companies in the area...

As much as I love the grumble of a V8, I am looking forward to the EV market gaining competition and taking off. Tesla had a great role as a major disruptor, but they lack depth of experience in building lasting products and it shows.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #41
12cylinders
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I follow a local Tesla group on Facebook. Setting aside the attitudes of many of the people in that group, it seems like there are still lots of quality issues with the cars - both fit/finish and actual mechanicals. Some of the most popular posts are suggestions for the best flatbed tow companies in the area...
Quality was the other reason I hesitated on the Tesla.

I'm an early adopter of most technology, but I have a strong desire to avoid brogrammer software issues or tent assembly mechanical problems during my lengthy and frequently sub-zero commute home.

I am jealous, however, of what I perceive to be Tesla's more aggressive autonomous driving modes.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #42
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Quality was the other reason I hesitated on the Tesla.

I'm an early adopter of most technology, but I have a strong desire to avoid brogrammer software issues or tent assembly mechanical problems during my lengthy and frequently sub-zero commute home.

I am jealous, however, of what I perceive to be Tesla's more aggressive autonomous driving modes.
Well Audi is coming out with L3 car (just not in the US yet...)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #43
CT540xi
Rep
Drives: 540xi

So I want to listen to Pandora when I am at the car wash—seems like no matter what I do. It shuts off once I get out of the car and close the door.

Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 09:04 PM   #44
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT540xi View Post
So I want to listen to Pandora when I am at the car wash—seems like no matter what I do. It shuts off once I get out of the car and close the door.

Ideas?
Headphones. Sorry, I couldn't help it. I can't believe this thread is still going (again).
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00