BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Semi-autonomous drive assist plus: 2018 530e

04-16-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
mnk2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Angry Semi-autonomous drive assist plus: 2018 530e

The semi-autonomous drive assist plus and all other features were fully operational when a truck cut across my path and I had a full frontal collision yesterday. The car did not brake at all. No warning, no beeps; the collision prevention system did not work! I am shocked! However, fortunately, since there was heavy traffic and I was driving slowly, the damage is limited only to the center of the front bumper. The truck's hitch bar and ball went through it! Aweful.. I took the car to the BMW collision shop and they quoted me $2000+! I am not using insurance since that would result in my premium going through the roof since the other guy left. I got what I thought were all the bells and whistles on my car for safe driving and now this.. Unbelievable! I have an MB with similar features and it works much better. It is truly semi-autonomous, almost 98% of the time.. no problems to date at all. The brakes have engaged when people have cut in front of me.. Dallas traffic is no fun!! ANyone has experience with the BMW drive assist packages?? I am so disappointed..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:09 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

The main thing is that you are not hurt.
Perhaps we are expecting too much from these systems. They have to do a lot to work out what's a real threat and what isn't , a delicate balance so as not to create false alarms or worse ,false emergency braking.
This why I think we have a long way to go before full autonomy.

At the end of the day we are in control of the car and it's down to us to excercise judgement and not rely on these systems, I certainly don't want to have to put them to the test (and nigh on impossible to test these out ourselves without risk getting it horribly wrong)
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00
Shane550X127.50
      04-17-2019, 01:52 AM   #3
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
This is why all these cars are still level 2 semi-autonomous cars. If you recall there was a Tesla that went straight into the side of a truck crossing in front. I'd say until we get to L4, we will need to stay alert on the road, ready to intervene.

Glad you are ok and it's only damages to the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I understand your frustration as one of the reasons you upgraded to the Drivers Assist Plus package was to avoid this very thing from happening. However, as others have said, your health and safety is number one. I think if it would have worked then there's always the possibility of what about the person behind you then running into the back of you because your car stopped before you could even react. My point is we don't know what the other outcome would have been if your car did indeed avoid the collision. You could have had even worse damage on your rear from the car behind you that smacked into you since your car stopped so quickly. Who knows.

Enjoy your machine in good health my friend.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

There is a lot of info that we would need to be able to understand what happened. I know there are a couple of different systems that BMW uses in their cars depending on how they are equipped and they activate in different ways. Are you sure they were all on/active and how are they setup?

My M3 frontal collision warning never comes on in a situation like this. It only activates after a certain speed and will not brake the car all the way to a stop IIRC. I believe our M550 is the same as it doesn't have the DAS package.

Any way, as others said, I'm glad you are ok. But, you said you were in heavy traffic moving slowly, were you not paying enough attention to just hit the brakes yourself?

Below is right from BMW's website about the DAS.

"DISCLAIMER: This feature is not a substitute for the driver's own responsibility. Due to road, traffic and visibility conditions, the driver decides whether and how the system is used."
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #6
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Seems BMW prefer the warning approach and let you decide unless absolutely necessary, I can see if you emergency break the guy behind you end up rearing you instead
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
mnk2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Angry Semi-autonomous drive assist plus: 2018 530e

Thank you, all! Yes, I learned it the hard way! I did hit the brakes as soon as I realized what was happening but the event happened anyway. Guess it was too soon for me to make a meaningful response.
Appreciate 0