BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Engine off/door open/radio still on

04-07-2019, 09:54 AM   #67
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
For the last time:

1. Turn off engine
2. Get out of the car
3. Lock doors with remote
4. Go home.
My suggestion for a master cutoff switch was in jest. Actually, I have not had a big problem with this, just took a bit to figure it out. The lock method of course does work fine, and I always lock it when I am out and about. But at home in the garage I don't lock the car; I just hit the Start/Stop button, wait a second or two and open the door. Everything goes off except the items on a time delay relay like the interior lights and the fuse-tapped radar detector. They go off a bit later. --Bob
      04-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #68
Mr550i
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i 2019

Thank you so much!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #69
CT540xi
Rep
Drives: 540xi

Car wash music on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kDub2019 View Post
I agree this is crazy. I called BMW customer service today and said I can’t figure out how to turn off the car - I have a Masters degree in Computer Science!! I keep it in my garage and I don’t lock the car. After being on hold for a few minutes she told me to press the radio power button until it turns off (radio button also turns off the digital dash). Great!!

So tonight I tried it and the radio turned off but the angle lights stayed on...not just to light the path for a few minutes but stuck on. Last few mornings they stayed on overnight. Yes my lights are set to auto. I played with turning the lights off but did the same thing. It also keeps the ambient lighting on inside and random orange buttons. I don’t think it’s a feature.

I will try the seatbelt trick next but I don’t remember my 2004 530i doing this and my eClass I had for 7 years never had a problem turning off. In fact this is the only car I have ever owned or rented that won’t turn off. I also bought a 530e and it did the same thing. I returned the 530e because the battery only lasted 30 minutes in gas battery mode. It only lasts 15 minutes in battery mode.

2 years and 11 months and back to Mercedes.

If you click the option button next to the idrive wheel while the idrive is in the main menu, you'll see the option "Power Off Car". Works for me if I unbuckle belt before turning off the car...
I wanted the car to play pandora from a cell phone when I was washing the car in a manual car wash, with the car off and doors shut.

Here's what I found is the simplest method.

1. Pull in and tune the car off.
2. Then turn the radio back on.
3. Now keep the key fob in the car and crank pandora up.

The music will stay on even after the door shuts.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 01:26 AM   #70
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

OMG. Software update fixed the problem. Finally. Push stop button and get out. Car off. First time since I got the car that it worked like previous bmws. Was so frustrating. Service was weeks ago and I waited to test before posting.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #71
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I have also found that it helps to remove my phone from the charging pad prior to opening the door. If I wait, and then reach for it with the door open, the entertainment system comes back on immediately, even after having turned off when I opened the door. Weird, but, I can deal with it. These first world problems............
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #72
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
I have also found that it helps to remove my phone from the charging pad prior to opening the door. If I wait, and then reach for it with the door open, the entertainment system comes back on immediately, even after having turned off when I opened the door. Weird, but, I can deal with it. These first world problems............
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
I am so confused, there is an option in I-Drive to shut radio off when car is off OR shut radio when you lock the door.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #73
kwstandard
AutoPilot
Rep
Drives: 19 X1,18 M550i,15 X5,14 328d

Garage List
2011 Mercedes GL550  [0.00]
2019 BMW X128i  [0.00]
2015 X5 XDrive35i  [0.00]
2018 M550i  [0.00]
2014 328d  [0.00]
Just push the engine on/off button a second time BEFORE you open the driver's door... Everyrhing turns off.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #74
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwstandard View Post
Just push the engine on/off button a second time BEFORE you open the driver's door... Everyrhing turns off.
Indeed, this is true. However, if your phone is still in the charging cradle after you open the door and everything turns off, if you lift it out of the cradle, everything turns back on......at least that is what happens in my M550i. Then you have to hold the off button to turn it back off. So, in addition to pushing the engine off button a second before you open the door, you also have to remove your phone from the charging cradle before opening the door. Just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #75
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

I just lock the car every time I get out. Everything turns off when I touch the lock "button" on the handle.

Added bonus, doing this seems to help the car switch profiles much more reliably (wife and I both drive it), as it can sense which key fob is on the driver's side to trigger the unlock.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 03:56 PM   #76
JetStream
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i xDrive

...........and then u open the door after exiting to pick up your forgotten cell phone, and it welcomes you right back! such a pain in the garage. Have to lock it because it seems to have a mind of it's own. 1st world problems
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #77
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I consider that an added bonus, because that means the light is on if I have to go back to look for something...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 10:12 PM   #78
Krash7172
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e, 2020 X4

I had an early US 530e and there was definitely a problem that was fixed with software update. The car would not always shut off as said by those with cars that shut down properly.

PS: why are people posting in this thread if their car works as expected? lol
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 07:46 AM   #79
cartaozinho
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 (G30) M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
...........and then u open the door after exiting to pick up your forgotten cell phone, and it welcomes you right back! such a pain in the garage. Have to lock it because it seems to have a mind of it's own. 1st world problems
When this happens to me, or if the car comes back on when I'm getting something out of the front passenger seat, here's what I do:

1. Hit the "Option" button on the iDrive controller (bottom right).
2. Choose the "Turn off vehicle" option.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #80
djbrimhall
DBrimhall
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i, BMW 2002tii

Engine Off - Radio On

I've also been curious about how to have the radio turn off when I turn off the car without having to lock the vehicle. I always park in the garage at home so I usually don't lock the car. The solution I found was making the following change in the settings menu: Menu; Car; Settings; Doors/Access; check the box next to "Turn Off Vehicle After Opening Door." When I push the stop button and then open the door the radio turns off.

2020 540i G30 (Pre LCI and Pre iDrive update)
California, USA
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #81
handinpalm
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i

I just got a 2021 530i and could not turn off the iDrive system when I went home. I always have the car in a garage and Do Not want to lock it, because I get things in and out. I found this thread and found out why. I have to agree with a lot of other posters that this type of operation is a PIA. Owning a BMW less than 4 hrs and I was wishing I bought some other vendors car. There is No reason for this to happen. Some people say it is too provide a graceful shut down, but that is BS, because you can push the radio button and shut down immediately. I tried the Bimmer coding to disable it, but not an option. I certainly hate pushing 2 different buttons to turn the Damn thing off. WTF are the designers thinking? I will not be looking at a BMW in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #82
NNJCarGuy
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaozinho View Post
When this happens to me, or if the car comes back on when I'm getting something out of the front passenger seat, here's what I do:

1. Hit the "Option" button on the iDrive controller (bottom right).
2. Choose the "Turn off vehicle" option.
This is what I did. I shut off the car then open my door and everything shuts down. No issues, no problems.
2000 540i 6 speed, 2006 X5 4.8, 2009 335 Convertible
2011 X5 50i, 2000 K1200RS - All gone
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #83
IrishG30Guy
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e

What I do is keep foot on the brake pedal when pressing start/stop button to turn off car, wait until you feel the brake pedal move slightly this the electronic handbrake engaging, after you've felt the pedal move take foot off and open door and everything will shut off, works 100% of the time for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #84
SpeedwayBlue
Registered
Rep
Drives: 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
Nice one. I thought my car was having an off day, when the radio stayed on!! Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #85
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

After you turn off the car, wait 5 seconds before you open the door. I think (but am not positive) there may also be a setting in the i-drive for this
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 08:35 PM   #86
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I think I figured something out - or rather, let me share my experience.
Under My Vehicle - Vehicle Settings - Lock/Key - if you have 'turn off car when closed' unchecked (something like that - the wording to the right says something like 'if the car detects nobody is there, it shuts off'), then the radio stays on when you open the door.
If you check that option, then it shuts off the radio on door open.

This is ID6
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 09:34 AM   #87
BD550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i Tanzanite Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I agree this is crazy. I called BMW customer service today and said I can't figure out how to turn off the car - I have a Masters degree in Computer Science!! I keep it in my garage and I don't lock the car. After being on hold for a few minutes she told me to press the radio power button until it turns off (radio button also turns off the digital dash). Great!!

So tonight I tried it and the radio turned off but the angle lights stayed on...not just to light the path for a few minutes but stuck on. Last few mornings they stayed on overnight. Yes my lights are set to auto. I played with turning the lights off but did the same thing. It also keeps the ambient lighting on inside and random orange buttons. I don't think it's a feature.

I will try the seatbelt trick next but I don't remember my 2004 530i doing this and my eClass I had for 7 years never had a problem turning off. In fact this is the only car I have ever owned or rented that won't turn off. I also bought a 530e and it did the same thing. I returned the 530e because the battery only lasted 30 minutes in gas battery mode. It only lasts 15 minutes in battery mode.

If you click the option button next to the idrive wheel while the idrive is in the main menu, you'll see the option "Power Off Car". Works for me if I unbuckle belt before turning off the car...
Reviving old post. So does the LCI 2021 turn off electronics when door is opened like every other car out there? Or even the double Off push? Or do you still have to do the gymnastics with holding radio button down for three seconds or wait several beats before you exit (or any of the other solutions people have figured out with seatbelts etc)? I understand that locking does the trick but there are times when you want it unlocked. Locked garage, secured valet parking where you just want everything off without locking. Seems like a real pain but I have not seen much lately on the topic so maybe this problem went away, or are people just dealing with it?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #88
H_T
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m550i

Garage List
2021 BMW m550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeck View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I agree this is crazy. I called BMW customer service today and said I can't figure out how to turn off the car - I have a Masters degree in Computer Science!! I keep it in my garage and I don't lock the car. After being on hold for a few minutes she told me to press the radio power button until it turns off (radio button also turns off the digital dash). Great!!

So tonight I tried it and the radio turned off but the angle lights stayed on...not just to light the path for a few minutes but stuck on. Last few mornings they stayed on overnight. Yes my lights are set to auto. I played with turning the lights off but did the same thing. It also keeps the ambient lighting on inside and random orange buttons. I don't think it's a feature.

I will try the seatbelt trick next but I don't remember my 2004 530i doing this and my eClass I had for 7 years never had a problem turning off. In fact this is the only car I have ever owned or rented that won't turn off. I also bought a 530e and it did the same thing. I returned the 530e because the battery only lasted 30 minutes in gas battery mode. It only lasts 15 minutes in battery mode.

Reviving old post. So does the LCI 2021 turn off electronics when door is opened like every other car out there? Or even the double Off push? Or do you still have to do the gymnastics with holding radio button down for three seconds or wait several beats before you exit (or any of the other solutions people have figured out with seatbelts etc)? I understand that locking does the trick but there are times when you want it unlocked. Locked garage, secured valet parking where you just want everything off without locking. Seems like a real pain but I have not seen much lately on the topic so maybe this problem went away, or are people just dealing with it?
LCI turns off electronics when the door is opened but keeps the engine fan on for a few minutes if needed.

The neat thing is if you have a passenger (front), the electronics stays on if both doors didn't open (if someone is waiting, the radio can stay on).
Appreciate 0