BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Live Cockpit now on G30, G31 & F90

07-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #1
MattCH
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G02 X4

Live Cockpit now on G30, G31 & F90

The new option is already visible on the 5er online configurator
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
GoCubs711
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 550

Is this from the USA configurator? I only see 2019. Do you have a link?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 01:30 AM   #3
MattCH
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: G02 X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubs711 View Post
Is this from the USA configurator? I only see 2019. Do you have a link?
It's visible on the German website.

https://www.bmw.de/de/ssl/configurat...S09LC/summary/
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
MauiSteve
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M Sport 540i

Cool... 2020 USA configurator hopefully soon then. I hope those black 19" wheels are available on the USA site.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

Really do not like the live cockpit, especially the backways rev counter. They should at least have the option to have the traditional dials displayed.

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 2
MattCH108.50
wknddrivr464.50
      07-21-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Really do not like the live cockpit, especially the backways rev counter. They should at least have the option to have the traditional dials displayed.
The backward tachometer could be tolerated if BMW made better use of the available real estate between the speedo and tach. But they haven't to date, so yes it's a disappointment.

Maybe in a future software update they will unlock new features, themes, etc to better use the center area. Or wishful thinking...
      07-21-2019, 07:31 PM   #7
CyberJudas
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
The backward tachometer could be tolerated if BMW made better use of the available real estate between the speedo and tach. But they haven't to date, so yes it's a disappointment.

Maybe in a future software update they will unlock new features, themes, etc to better use the center area. Or wishful thinking...
Yeah, the backward tacho would take some getting used to... However, I think that's the general approach with all the 'cockpit' views/displays nowadays - it's just to clear some real estate space so that the manufacturer can utilise it for other views - even the second pic in the original post has what appears to be a GPS map in that space you mentioned.

iDrive7 will definitely take some getting used to. Was having a play around in the new 7er on the weekend, the interface/layout seemed to have a much steeper learning curve then previous Gens - maybe that's just me showing my age and a testament to how much Tech is actually packed into this infotainment units.

Last edited by CyberJudas; 07-22-2019 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 12:47 AM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'll bring up the word intuitive.

The interface should be intuitive so it's easy to use and not require you to do any serious learning.
I found idrive 6 like this , no need reference a manual the first time I used it.

As I've mentioned before I think any detailed information should be presented in the HUD and not the cluster as your eyes are not on the road when looking at the cluster. Reading the speed and revs is a very quick movement but looking at say a map there would require much more time, that time should be spent looking on the road.

So I think from an ergonomic point of view this is a backward step. I can see why it gets the wow factor but when you think about it from a functional point of view, I don't think it's the right thing to be doing.

Just my thoughts....
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 04:13 AM   #9
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I'll bring up the word intuitive.

The interface should be intuitive so it's easy to use and not require you to do any serious learning.
I found idrive 6 like this , no need reference a manual the first time I used it.

As I've mentioned before I think any detailed information should be presented in the HUD and not the cluster as your eyes are not on the road when looking at the cluster. Reading the speed and revs is a very quick movement but looking at say a map there would require much more time, that time should be spent looking on the road.

So I think from an ergonomic point of view this is a backward step. I can see why it gets the wow factor but when you think about it from a functional point of view, I don't think it's the right thing to be doing.

Just my thoughts....
I agree. But I guess the issue is that not all cars are equipped with a HUD. In that case, it's better to shift the eye downward than sideways to main screen. That said all these are marginal preferences.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
idrive 7 doesn't have enough customization compared to audi's system...hoping 8 is the real deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #11
nlaak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

You can get a simplified nav view in the space between the speedo and tach. Also, the leaked pictures of the M8 instrument cluster leads me to believe that the 2020 M5 will have additional 'display modes' to match what the M8 is apparently getting. Or at least, so I hope - I won't get mine for a month or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #12
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJudas View Post
Yeah, the backward tacho would take some getting used to... However, I think that's the general approach with all the 'cockpit' views/displays nowadays - it's just to clear some real estate space so that the manufacturer can utilise it for other views - even the second pic in the original post has what appears to be a GPS map in that space you mentioned.

iDrive7 will definitely take some getting used to. Was having a play around in the new 7er on the weekend, the interface/layout seemed to have a much steeper learning curve then previous Gens - maybe that's just me showing my age and a testament to how much Tech is actually packed into this infotainment units.
I view info systems slightly differently. I don't care if the system is somewhat unintuitive and difficult for those features that are used before driving and not used during driving.

But for those functions used during driving (e.g., volume, station, HVAC adjustments) I want buttons to press or turn that I can do by touch and/or steering wheel buttons for the feature and I want key information showing on my HUD, not the IDrive display.

BMW does a pretty good job at this although I really would have liked to see a tach in the HUD and like others, I would prefer a traditional tach in lieu of the tricked out reverse tach BMW is using now.

My car is IDrive 6 (2018 G30). Has anyone coded the G20 for the Alpina display? Can it be done? If so, does it have a traditional tach? Just wondering.
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      07-22-2019, 10:50 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep

That's a good point, I don't think an alpine 3 series has been released yet has it? That will obviously display what has been decided on and it may already be lurking in current firmware just waiting for someone to enable.

Agree about the controls when driving. When stopped fairenough whatever, but on the move ergonomics should take priority over any glitzy stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #14
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:

I view info systems slightly differently. I don't care if the system is somewhat unintuitive and difficult for those features that are used before driving and not used during driving.

But for those functions used during driving (e.g., volume, station, HVAC adjustments) I want buttons to press or turn that I can do by touch and/or steering wheel buttons for the feature and I want key information showing on my HUD, not the IDrive display.

BMW does a pretty good job at this although I really would have liked to see a tach in the HUD and like others, I would prefer a traditional tach in lieu of the tricked out reverse tach BMW is using now.

My car is IDrive 6 (2018 G30). Has anyone coded the G20 for the Alpina display? Can it be done? If so, does it have a traditional tach? Just wondering.
Pretty much agree on all points although I don't understand why you need a tach at all with an automatic
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 05:04 AM   #15
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Pretty much agree on all points although I don't understand why you need a tach at all with an automatic
some don't drive in D all of the time.
Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50
Mani5913467.50
      07-23-2019, 05:16 AM   #16
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
manual mode + paddles
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      07-23-2019, 05:41 AM   #17
aceman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550ix, 2008 Corvette

Quote:

Steve you hit the nail right on the head. My biggest gripe with MB is that although the dash "looks" great, useability for everyday items like surfing radio stations, surfing your recent calls, setting HVAC, etc. are much more cumbersome than BMW. I currently drive a 2012, and I can surf the radio & my most common /recent phone calls all from the wheel on the steering wheel. Extremely easy to use. We also have the buttons for climate, and the programmable speed dials which short cut you into i-drive anywhere you want. I'm not as versed with Audi's MMI, but compare to MB, I think BMW owns them in terms of ease of use.

Aceman
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      07-23-2019, 06:11 AM   #18
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
yup, though I played with paddle about 3 times and just left it in D, can't really find a time it's in the "wrong" gear.

I guess the only time I found anything "wrong" is sometimes in Sports it downshift a bit too abruptly when slowing down.

Only complaint I have is they should add gear in HUD, can that be coded (when one wants to play with the paddle)?
Appreciate 1
wknddrivr464.50
      07-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #19
wknddrivr
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3/E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
Quote:
Guess I could see that. I usually just knock the shifter to sport mode but never use the paddles. I drive my e36 M3 5MT when I want to shift my own gears and usually just treat the 5 as the bland luxo barge that it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 03:09 AM   #20
mk1-fan
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 540i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani59 View Post
Exactly.

While test driving the G05 X5 recently, i found the speedo / tach layout very fussy and confusing. I guess you will get used to it, but they should at least have the option of a traditional layout.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #21
AP
Major General
Rep

Yes agree
A bit like the option you have to configure the display used in comfort mode for all modes.

Whilst the backwards rev counter is perfectly logical , anyone who has never driven a car before driving this would I'm sure be ok with it it just goes against decades of convention.

They look to have done this to free up the middle where they can put info I think is mostly better displayed on the HUD
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      07-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #22
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:

I believe the Alpina B5 gauges can be coded but don't know what's actually involved.

ID7 is buggy and problematic. Stay away from it. Complaints abound also in the G20 forum.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0