BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Brake Squeal on M Sport Brakes

06-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i

Garage List
Brake Squeal on M Sport Brakes

I have been having annoying brake squeals on the right rear rotors/pads ever since I got my vehicle last July (currently only has 9,000km). This squeal happens when the brakes are applied at around 50% pressure. This happens generally during the warmer weathers (not when its -10 degrees generally speaking).

It is a very annoying squeal sound that is very loud. I can even faintly hear it when all the windows are up with radio on. When the windows are open, it is pretty loud.

I have been to the BMW servicing multiple occasions. They cleaned the brake pads/rotors, and the sound is still emitting. At the very end, BMW Canada indicated that M Sport Brakes squeal and are completely normal.

I called BMW Canada and they said the same thing, that the squeal is completely normal and nothing can be done, even if the rotors/pads were changed. I stated that that is not true. You cannot be 100% certain that the sound will continue even if the brakes were changed. The employee stated that he has a 2019 BMW and his car makes the same noise and it is normal.

I find this to be flawed an indicated that if it is normal, then my other brakes would emit the same squeal, and numerous of BMW on the road will squeal every time they brake was well. I then proceeded to state that other brands that I have owned, such as Porsche, Maserati, Mercedes, Audi, etc., some of which are considered to be even a "higher performance" vehicle than BMW, never emitted a squealing sound.

Furthermore, I stated that it is illogical that the squealing sound is normal. Manufacturers strive to maintain quality in production and common sense would follow the constant brake squeals are NOT within the parameters of being normal.

I am just very frustrated with my 2018 BMW 530i. I had to bring this vehicle in for service over 5 times due to engine light being on multiple times, since they were unable to fix it the first 3-4 times, as well as bringing it in for the brakes, which even the technician stated that it should not be making such a sound. However, the diagnostics did not render such sound as a "manufacturing defect" and hence, BMW Canada is not replacing the brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I agree completely that the squeal is not a normal condition for M sport brakes. Neither my M4, nor my current M550i had or have brake squeal. I would insist on pad replacement, and would consider going to a privateer and paying for a pad change, and perhaps turning the rotor in question. It would be interesting to see what a private company would find, and what reasons they might offer for the squeal. Nevertheless, it is not normal, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #3
emre
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive

My E92 brakes did squeal each time brake pads reached around 10K km, that was a known issue and had to live with it. Unless you went aftermarket.
It was very annoying and embarassing.

But it is not normal for G30, i have not had any brake squeal in two years of ownership. Did not hear anyone complaining about it either.

G30 540i xDrive M Sport MPPSK / BM3
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #4
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
It is not normal, but it isn't unheard of either. I've read a few threads from maybe 2 or 3 people that have said their M Sport brakes squeak or squeal, however, that is not the majority.

From my reading around different forums and talking to BMW, I'd say probably 90-95% of people with M Sport Brakes on our cars do not have this issue. However, a small percent do report this issue and I haven't heard of a solid solution yet that has fixed the issue so we don't know what is causing it.

Have you tried taking it to another dealer to see if they can be of better help? There's nothing worse than getting someone (in any field) who isn't helpful and sits there and proceeds to say nothing can be done because that's BS (most of the time).

Good luck and keep this forum posted. Oh, and I have 15,000 miles on my M Sport Brakes and haven't heard any squealing or squeaking.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 05:21 PM   #5
S4CH
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
It is not normal, but it isn't unheard of either. I've read a few threads from maybe 2 or 3 people that have said their M Sport brakes squeak or squeal, however, that is not the majority.

From my reading around different forums and talking to BMW, I'd say probably 90-95% of people with M Sport Brakes on our cars do not have this issue. However, a small percent do report this issue and I haven't heard of a solid solution yet that has fixed the issue so we don't know what is causing it.

Have you tried taking it to another dealer to see if they can be of better help? There's nothing worse than getting someone (in any field) who isn't helpful and sits there and proceeds to say nothing can be done because that's BS (most of the time).

Good luck and keep this forum posted. Oh, and I have 15,000 miles on my M Sport Brakes and haven't heard any squealing or squeaking.
I just noticed it on my M550 at slow speed and light pressure. Like when parking. I have almost 15000 miles on mine. Anyone else noticing that?

I will be taking it in soon to get a tire replaced so I could ask them to look at it if anyone else has been successful in getting it fixed.
      06-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
Superjackson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M550i

Definitely not normal, I already used 70% of my rear pads before replacing them and never had squeals at all for the 30kkm I drove
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
Jelston
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 Bmw M550xi

I am a service technician by trade, and i get people with this complaint from time to time. what i explain to them it is not abnormal to get brake noise. Any thing that applies friction from two surfaces can create a sound. However when the noise is consistent that in itself is abnormal.

If the service department has already serviced the brakes, such as removed the pads and deglaze them. Cleaned and lube all mounting point, contact points. and lubed slide pins. If the noise is still present then insist on pad replacement. as the issue is most likely a issue in the brake pad compound.

Also look closely at the rotors on your vehicle and see if you see any signs of abnormal wear such as groves or possibly rust pitting.

I hope this helps. Consistent brake noise is Not Normal
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      06-18-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelston View Post
I am a service technician by trade, and i get people with this complaint from time to time. what i explain to them it is not abnormal to get brake noise. Any thing that applies friction from two surfaces can create a sound. However when the noise is consistent that in itself is abnormal.

If the service department has already serviced the brakes, such as removed the pads and deglaze them. Cleaned and lube all mounting point, contact points. and lubed slide pins. If the noise is still present then insist on pad replacement. as the issue is most likely a issue in the brake pad compound.

Also look closely at the rotors on your vehicle and see if you see any signs of abnormal wear such as groves or possibly rust pitting.

I hope this helps. Consistent brake noise is Not Normal
They already serviced the brakes already, and I stated that a pad replacement should be done. Again, they say that because it is "not a defect", they will not replace it.

The rotors also seem to be okay. BMW Canada requested pictures of all four rotors and I suppose they took a look at it and didn't see anything wrong with it.

I doubt that they will do anything further... Good thing my car is leased as I will definitely not be keeping it. It is a shame that such a well built car has so many problems for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #9
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

Squeals when braking, or normal driving

If it is squealing just when you drive without braking I'd say abnormal and acceptable.

Mine only squeal when I reverse out a parking and apply light pressure... hard pressure, no squeak... it's only started after 16,000 miles and I'd say normal due to glazing
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 07:29 AM   #10
openside
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d touring

This partly depends on one's understanding of "normal". It is certainly common but not certain with Msport brakes. From my experience two things help:
1. giving the brakes a good hard stop from high speed (if poss) once per drive.
2. coating the back of the pads with copper slip or ceratech